William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were getting married next june, surely an engagement announcement would have been made by now? :p

No. The British go for shorter engagements. e.g. Charles and Diana announced on 24th February for a July 31st wedding, Andrew and Sarah announced somewhat similar - announced in early 1986 to marry on July 23rd, Edward announced his engagement in January 1999 and married in June. Even the Queen's engagement was announced in July for a November wedding.

If they are to marry next year I wouldn't expect an engagement until the early months of next year.

An engagement announced now would indicate a Feburary or March wedding which isn't the British way.

If Kate had wanted to court the press she would have given an interview by now...
There are other ways to court the press besides giving an interview.
Nobody said anything about her general fashion style.
It's not just about working at a job, she can't even manage a fundraiser without creating negative press.
The Queen has never interferred in her children's or grandchildren's private affairs. That's always been her policy.

Nobody said the public 'hates' Kate. But we are not impressed with her and we don't want another Diana situation. And I disagree about the media. It's quite the opposite! They try to shove her down our throats because they want a wedding so bad! I find the comments sections of articles usually have both positive and negative posts from people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the last monarchs (or future monarchs) to marry in February/March were Queen Victoria (February 10, 1840) and Edward VII (March 10, 1863). Those were fairly private weddings (no public procession as we have today). George V married in June, George VI in April, Elizabeth II in November, and Charles in July/April.

Since royal weddings have become major public events where people gather outside to see the couple, they've had to move to weddings in the summer months when the weather is better. Nobody would want members of the public getting sick from standing out in the cold to see a royal and his/her new spouse, I suppose. I'd expect that William and Kate would follow along with a summer wedding if they marry.

Oh I didn't know we had a british way here. ;)
Thank you.

I was simply pointing out that no traditionally the BRF only have 5 - 6 months between announcing the engagement and the wedding after you said that you would have thought that the engagement would have been announced by now if they were to marry next year.

That is what I meant by the British - sorry should have said Royal Family after British as I assumed that it would be understood.

Nobody would want members of the public getting sick from standing out in the cold to see a royal and his/her new spouse, I suppose. I'd expect that William and Kate would follow along with a summer wedding if they marry.
The people still lined the streets for Edward VII's wedding, only it was the day of Alexandra's arrival in Britain as Victoria refused a large wedding, due to her continued mourning for Albert.

That wedding was held at Windsor Castle, wasn't it? I know Victoria's was at the Chapel Royal at St. James's. Interesting that they still lined the streets -- in those days, though, it must have been more of a spontaneous gathering than the coordinated ones we see today.

That wedding was held at Windsor Castle, wasn't it? I know Victoria's was at the Chapel Royal at St. James's. Interesting that they still lined the streets -- in those days, though, it must have been more of a spontaneous gathering than the coordinated ones we see today.

Alexandra and Edward married at St Georges Chapel, Windsor. :flowers:
I agree with the spontaneity. Thank you Iluvbertie for the information on engagements, I see we do seem to have a tradition. :)

I have read that her arrival was advertised and that Londoners were encouraged to get out and welcome her.

The first crowds were at the docks and then they crowded around the carriage ride so much so that the carriage couldn't move at times.

They were actually late getting to Windsor Castle due to the crowds.

The people wanted a public wedding of their heir but they were being denied by Victoria so they made up for it with their greeting of Alexandra.

Nobody said the public 'hates' Kate. But we are not impressed with her and we don't want another Diana situation.
Are you speaking on behalf of a group or are you claiming to be a spokesperson for the British? :ermm: Kate is nothing like Diana in her outlook on life or anything else, from the little anyone outside the families knows. :ermm:
-------------------------------------
The Queen is planning to break with royal tradition to invite Kate Middleton to Sandringham for Christmas Day.
It is the first time an unmarried partner of a royal has received such an invitation - and fuels speculation that Kate, 27, is about to get engaged to boyfriend Prince William, also 27.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/09/06/family-christmas-kate-115875-21651036/

The Queen is planning to break with royal tradition to invite Kate Middleton to Sandringham for Christmas Day.
It is the first time an unmarried partner of a royal has received such an invitation - and fuels speculation that Kate, 27, is about to get engaged to boyfriend Prince William, also 27.

Family Christmas, Kate? - mirror.co.uk
This is the third, fourth, fifth or what number of times that this has been reported.
I can certainly remember it being reported each of the last three years and nothing came of it so I will believe it when I see it.

Are you speaking on behalf of a group or are you claiming to be a spokesperson for the British? :ermm: Kate is nothing like Diana in her outlook on life or anything else, from the little anyone outside the families knows. :ermm:

There! You said what I wanted to say yesterday, but I couldn't find the right way to put it.

Nobody said the public 'hates' Kate. But we are not impressed with her and we don't want another Diana situation.

Really, what a presumptious statement.

It's September, the press was bound to recycle that "Kate's coming for Christmas!" story eventually. I mean, they have to do so to be able to print the "Kate snubs The Queen because she won't come for Christmas!" stories in October and November. :lol:

According to the Mirror article, every year the Royal Family has an official picture taken on Christmas day - I've never seen one - has anyone else?!

No I'm speaking on behalf of the nation but pretty much everyone I know feels the same way. I never said she was like Diana in her 'outlook on life' and none of us knows Kate's 'outlook on life' anyway. I had said in my previous post that she's attention-seeking and courts the press imo.

I mean she's fine for some rich guy or nice guy down the street but not for the future King of England imo.

It's September, the press was bound to recycle that "Kate's coming for Christmas!" story eventually. I mean, they have to do so to be able to print the "Kate snubs The Queen because she won't come for Christmas!" stories in October and November. :lol:

Sounds about right Ella Kay. :)

According to the Mirror article, every year the Royal Family has an official picture taken on Christmas day - I've never seen one - has anyone else?!

I don't think they have official pictures. Maybe informal ones. But I have never seen one from Christmas, and I doubt we ever shall. :)

No I'm speaking on behalf of the nation but pretty much everyone I know feels the same way. I never said she was like Diana in her 'outlook on life' and none of us knows Kate's 'outlook on life' anyway. I had said in my previous post that she's attention-seeking and courts the press imo.

I mean she's fine for some rich guy or nice guy down the street but not for the future King of England imo.

I agree with you that Kate isn't right for William.
But I wouldn't speak on behalf of the entire nation cd255, the people you know may not like her. But all the people I know on here and personally, really like Kate. :)

Oops, I meant to but the word "not" in there. "No I'm not speaking on behalf of the nation...." Sorry about the typo.
I didn't say anything about liking or disliking. We just don't want her as our Queen so we're pretty much in agreement lumutqueen. :)

Oops, I meant to but the word "not" in there. "No I'm not speaking on behalf of the nation...." Sorry about the typo.
I didn't say anything about liking or disliking. We just don't want her as our Queen so we're pretty much in agreement lumutqueen. :)

I have a number of British friends who think that Kate is perfect for William and perfect as the next Queen (assuming that Camilla does actually take the Princess Consort title and not Queen). Every letter, email etc I get in which she is mentioned they are very supportive and hopeful that he won't let her slip through his fingers like his father let the right one, initially, slip through his fingers.

I can't see how you draw the conclusion that she is attention seeking or courts the press. She seems to go out of her way to avoid publicity unless it is in support of a charity, a one off I believe. She has complained to the press complaints commission regarding harassment. I honestly can't remember any one time that she has been attention seeking or encouraged the media in any way, shape or form.

I know one or two youngsters (20s) who are noo keen on her from what they have read, (they don't like William either), which can't be much but everyone else I know or have spoken to seems to think she is perfect Princess/Queen material because she has never spoken to the press or sought their attention.

Agreed Skydragon. Completely agree with you. And I don't think that people should criticize when they have no inkling about W and k's private relationship. Their private relationship is between them and if they are in love so be it and be happy for them. As for being Queen, only time will tell, but she has behaved quite impeccably. I think it's very unfair and unreasonable when one says that she does not belong with him, but rather someone else.

If the couple is happy, be happy for them. There is already enough negativity in the world today. I say they naysayers should just leave them be.

Its important to remember that this is a discussion forum, and while we are all entitled to our opinion and the right to express it....NO ONE PERSON SPEAKS ON BEHALF OF A NATION (at least here). Let's move on.

Let's continue to have a civil discussion regarding William and Kate.

Thank you!

Zonk

British Forums Moderator

If they were getting married next june, surely an engagement announcement would have been made by now? :p

Thats precisly the point. I would be surprised if any announcement of an engagement were made before the elections.

why? would it affect the elections...or do you mean overshadow them?

why? would it affect the elections...or do you mean overshadow them?

Not only overshadow but could be interpreted/used as royal support for the government.

As the royals, particularly the Queen are supposed to be politically neutral they never schedule major public events during elections so as not to be drawn into the political arguments.

I do think that if William and Kate were ready to announce their engagement, there would be no substantial obstacles on their way. The elections, Olympics, the anniversaries within the Royal family – those are not obstacles but merely excuses the press tries to give because they’ve been proved wrong in their predictions of ‘impeding engagement’ for nearly 4 years now.

Of course, William and Kate may be waiting till 2012, to see whether the end of the world comes - as per those who interpret (or rather, misinterpret) the Mayan calendar (what’s the point of wasting taxpayers’ money if we are all going to go with a bang in merely 2-3 years time?), or they may not be ready to commit themselves yet. They are only 28: that’s not young enough to marry but hardly old enough to worry about ‘being late’.

Marsel...I agree.

If you are going to get married you are going to get married and if you can't find the time to get married...well...then you don't need to get married.

Again, I am with thinking that William is not quite ready to get marrried and when he does, I am not sure Kate will be the one. I have a feeling that they will mutually date for years, break up and then he marries the next girl after dating for like six to nine months!

But I could be wrong.....its happened before.

I agree with you, Zonk. I have a very similar feeling about the whole situation at the moment as you have. But its only a feeling of course. Sometimes I think, yes, it really seems that its getting more and more serious. But for us watchters the whole relationship or whatever we will call it, stagnates for years.

I really ask myself if there are any arrangements in the background... Of course we will never know about, but I really think William and Kate have an arrangement. After so many years they must have been talking about their future.

I think they have talked about their future and of course, we are not privy to anything.

They have dated for a while and I expect they both think that they will marry. But strangers things have been known to happen. One day, Kate can wake up and say you know.....I thought he was for me but he isn't or vice versa.

If they are meant to be together than they will plan a wedding and things like Jubliees, Olympics, elections wont matter. And by saying that I am saying that it won't be an issue to schedule such an event. None of this well they can't get married in 2019 because of a solar eclipse. If its going to happen its going to happen.

The elections are not an excuse as they have to make sure that there is not way the wedding could be used as an election issue.

The royals do NOT schedule weddings etc during election years, or at least until after the election has happened, to avoid anything to do with the royals being used by either party as an election issue.

To announce an engagement now with a wedding next year, during the election campaign, would see the cost of the entire royal family be an election issue and that won't be allowed to happen.

As they can't stop the election from happening next year, although it could be called earlier, they can plan to announce their engagement after the election.

The reason for not clashing with the Diamond Jubilee is that the wedding of William (Diana's son) to a young woman (to be the 'new Diana - unfortunately for her) would overshadow the celebrations for an elderly lady, despite her service to the public.

The Olympics are so far over budget now that the people would be possibly angered at further expense that year with the Diamond Jubilee as well.

I see William marrying in 2011 or not until after the Olympics in order to avoid being used as a political football either during an election or in the media with cries of cost.

It must be remember that these are State Occasions with foreign Heads of State coming so politics and cost and impression do matter.

They have dated for a while and I expect they both think that they will marry. But strangers things have been known to happen. One day, Kate can wake up and say you know.....I thought he was for me but he isn't or vice versa.

If they are meant to be together than they will plan a wedding and things like Jubliees, Olympics, elections wont matter. And by saying that I am saying that it won't be an issue to schedule such an event. None of this well they can't get married in 2019 because of a solar eclipse. If its going to happen its going to happen.

Hopefully that won't happen after Wills and Kate get married.

Why would a solar eclipse factor into a wedding date?

Well, honestly I can't image Kate waiting around until 2011. That's a little too long too be in a holding pattern but I guess if Daniel can do it in Sweden...then Kate can do it in England.

Actually, if they are not married by mid 2010, I don't see it happening.

Sonjapearl...in reference to the solar eclipse...I was being smarty pants. They can't get married because of this and that. The Jubliee, the Olympics, the elections, the solar eclipse, etc. Honestly, its always going to be something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom