William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:) When is the Queen's 60th jubilee?

I think that the Queen´s jubilee must be in 2012 but i am not shure about what month it is in...(i´m not living in England but in Denmark)

I do have one question...was it in 1952 that Princesse Elisabeth became Queen and was she not on a travel for the Commelwelth ?:ohmy::ohmy:

I think that the Queen´s jubilee must be in 2012 but i am not shure about what month it is in...(i´m not living in England but in Denmark)

I do have one question...was it in 1952 that Princesse Elisabeth became Queen and was she not on a travel for the Commelwelth ?:ohmy::ohmy:

The anniversary is on 06.02.2012 but probably it will celebrated in Summer like the Golden Jubilee.

Yes, she found out her father passed while in Africa.

So she became Queen when she came home from her travel in 1952 is that correct ?

She became Queen during her travels in 1952. The succession is automatic, and she became Queen at the instant her father died, although nobody knows exactly when that was since he died in his sleep while alone. She was in Kenya on her way to Australia for an official tour.

Her father died in February 1952, but if the 60th anniversary is anything like the 50th, the celebrations will be taking place in June, the anniversary of the coronation (even though that was in 1953) rather than February, probably on account of the weather and because it's closer to tourist season. So a major royal wedding right on top of that would IMO be unlikely.

Last edited:
two articles talking about an engagement

Pilot Prince William is cleared for a take-off with Kate Middleton - Article
Prince William, Kate to marry in 2011: Report - Article

Her father died in February 1952, but if the 60th anniversary is anything like the 50th, the celebrations will be taking place in June, the anniversary of the coronation (even though that was in 1953) rather than February, probably on account of the weather and because it's closer to tourist season. So a major royal wedding right on top of that would IMO be unlikely.

... plus on top of all this, the Olympic Games 2012 taking place in London.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous::):ermm: During the Olympics and the Jubilee does seem like sort of a strange time for them to get married, unless they decided they wanted less attention on the wedding ceremony for privacy reasons. Seems more likely they'd get married before both events, so they could attend them together in an official capacity. If they're getting married at all, that is - :lol: I don't think News of The World is necessarily the best source for accurate royal gossip. Although in America, the National Enquirer has broken several stories and they're just as big of a tabloid - so who knows?

It's get boring waiting for the engagements.
Noone wouldn't be surprised when it happen,
but much more if nothing happen.

Ok, my scenario -
engagemnts in the end of 2010 or just on the begining of 2011.
Wedding in 2011.
Before all things which will happen in 2012.

Seems like when they show up at a wedding the rumor go into high gear. I do think that it will happen sooner rather than later...but when it anyone's guess. Eight years is a long time, but when one is in line for the throne (as we saw with Victoria) it is a lot more than just the two people involved.

Royal Examiner Story

:previous::):ermm: During the Olympics and the Jubilee does seem like sort of a strange time for them to get married, unless they decided they wanted less attention on the wedding ceremony for privacy reasons. Seems more likely they'd get married before both events, so they could attend them together in an official capacity. If they're getting married at all, that is - :lol: I don't think News of The World is necessarily the best source for accurate royal gossip. Although in America, the National Enquirer has broken several stories and they're just as big of a tabloid - so who knows?

The article agrees with you, though: "The plan is that by the time the Queen celebrates her historic Diamond Jubilee in 2012 Kate will be on the palace balcony at her side as a fully-fledged princess. Well-placed sources say that while marriage is a "done deal" it is not expected until 2011 at the earliest."

So Jobson's saying that they'll already be married by the summer of 2012. He's pointing to a 2011 date in his article.

But I agree that the NOTW always needs to be taken with a grain of salt. They've broken a few accurate stories this year, but in the end, they are still a tabloid.

But I agree that the NOTW always needs to be taken with a grain of salt. They've broken a few accurate stories this year, but in the end, they are still a tabloid.
:) I missed the bit where they said that they were going to get married before those two dates, so that makes more sense. And it also occurs to me that one of them leaked the story to get everyone off their backs and to get rid of the whole "Waity Kaity" title for her. It might be their way of indirectly announcing their engagement. :cool: They did get photographed together after the wedding with him looking attentively at her. Maybe they did that on purpose to show that they're still together after the whole "Uncle Gary" thing.

Okay...its time to move on from Queen Elizabeth's coronation.

For the record, King George VI died on February 6, 1952.

Queen Elizabeth II was crowned on June 2, 1953.

And now back to the topic on hand...the engagement rumours of William and Kate.

Thank you.

Zonk
British Forums moderator

IMO, Kate attending the latest wedding with William doesn't definitely indicate anything, much less an imminent engagement.

All I see is the status quo - which to me has never indicated anything other than the fact that Kate is William's long-term girlfriend. I just don't think he's got marriage on his mind AT ALL. But that is just my opinion.

Playing devil's advocate, IMO, there is no way William will wed at a time which might take the gloss of of another big event, much less his universally beloved and respected grandmother. He has far more respect for her than that. If not, I'd lose all respect for him.

I really don't buy into the speculation that Kate's attendance at this wedding means her and William will also wed. After all, she's been going to weddings with William for a long time, mostly recently to his cousin's.

On the one hand, presumably the invitation went out several months beforehand - and to not allow Kate to attend would have been insensitive, quite possibly rude. Also, William probably wouldn't want the media - or his friends' - speculation on Kate's whereabouts.

But on the other hand, it could indicate that William is so deliriously in love with Kate that he is showing that he is standing by her.

Either way, per se, I don't see it as equating to an imminent engagement.

I thought Kate looked quite nice, but also too thin and too tanned - it is really ageing her, and she's looked older than her biological years recently. I think the dress was too short for any wedding, much less a society one, wherein she is the partner of the future King of England.

The shoes were too high, and, again, she can't give up that ageing, thick, black eyeliner. Her hair looked drab - and she does have nice hair. With her copious time off, I'm sure she has the time for a hair cut. ;)

As for my opinion, William looks really attentive toward Kate - and IMO, they both have the look of love. I've not seen that before. Now, I do think they will marry, because William is in love with her - and, who came blame him for wanting to marry the woman he loves?

I just call it as I see it, though I don't think Kate is suitable to be the future Queen Consort of England.

Initially, I really liked what I saw of Kate. She was naturally pretty, understated, the girl next door type and unassuming. By all accounts, she was a breath of fresh air.

However, my view changed after time once I realised that she decided to become so unremarkable and unaccomplished in her own right. Everything she has attained - at the age of 27 - is because of her parents wherewithal. She has not shown that she can stand on her own two feet. Whilst not a crime, or sin, it's not endearing either - independent people are always desirable; and it does not intil any confidence that she will be able to handle the unrelenting job as William's consort.

Now, whilst it is subject to debate, there is evidence that the 'workshy' tag is well-placed with Kate. She is certainly unmotivated, and may even be unashamedly lazy. I think the fact that she is William's girlfriend has given her a sense of entitlement that is manifesting as repugnant.

I personally believe that whilst she works for her parents, it is irregular. It was quoted somwhere that she only works a 4 day week. Even if she works that much - which I doubt - that is really pathetic for an able-bodied, unencumbered, intelligent young woman. Why does Kate need to work part time? It doesn't show much about her stamina, motivation, dedication to something other than herself, focus or priorities. All of these things - and more - are needed in a Queen Consort. I like to see the goods before I buy.

Then there is her conduct - just not befitting for William's future bride. I find her clothes too revealing and not ladylike for someone in her position (most of the time). Yes, sometimes, she wears dowdy outfits too old for her, but not often. For example, spray-on jeans are fine for her age, but to my mind, quite unbecoming for a young woman in Kate's postion. Why can't she wear jeans a little more loose fitting? Ditto the short skirts she is so fond of. But I am a conservative dresser and was raised that way. If William likes her dressed that way, it might say a lot about why he is with her - and none of it is good. Men don't tend to marry women they view as a sexual object of desire.

Then there is the charity disco disaster. Totally and utterly tasteless. I'm not talking about her falling - innocent accident - but her whole attire. Clearly she wasn't thinking.

I do believe HM was less than amused about Kate's lack of work ethic, since she is one of the most duty bound and hardest workers on the planet. It is an insult to the British monarchy IMO that anyone could think Kate could step into HM's very large shoes. She has not shown that she is capable of anything worthwhile. Kate would be a joke, IMO - and she would not handle the pressure. It's a tough gig.

I also don't believe that she has HM's support, though she has William's. I think he loves her and wants to marry her. If you believe that HM supports Kate, then IMO you believe that HM suddenly lost her work ethic and her desire to keep her legacy alive for generations to come. It's just not plausible, IMO.

I didn't single out Uncle Gary because IMO Kate's reputation was already tainted long before that bombshell hit.

I would like to see the monarchy maintain (or regain?) some sense of dignity and respect - and IMO, William marrying Kate would drag it to its knees. Her reputation - and that of her family's - is just too tainted and "common" IMO.

IMO, it's a question of whether or not by the time William is ready to marry, Kate will be the one. Men can be fickle. But, I do hope for Kate's sake that she knows where she stands, because it is quite dangerous for a woman pushing thirty to cling to a man who doesn't seem to have marriage on his mind - prince or not.

All of the above is just my opinion, as you asked me, and I don't purport it as fact.

Initially, I really liked what I saw of Kate. She was naturally pretty, understated, the girl next door type and unassuming. By all accounts, she was a breath of fresh air.

All of the above is just my opinion, as you asked me, and I don't purport it as fact.

Thank you.

I'm of the opinion Kate would make a suitable bride for William, and to be quite frank, I couldn't care what she does between now and any such time. For me Miss Middleton remains a "private" citizen (of sorts), and so whatever she spends her time doing is of no consequence or interest to me. Should she attain an HRH then certainly, my opinion will change.

There are times where I get the impression she's a little 'fond' of herself, but that's based on very little...a photo or two here and there which depicts but a moment in time. So nothing credible.

Ilovebertie: you are most welcome. :)

^ I think it's great that everyone can have their own, differing opinion. :)

Your last point is interesting - and I truly don't get that impression that Kate is 'fond' of herself per se. I actually think Kate lacks true self esteem and perhaps conceals it by appearing a bit too sure of herself at times.

I should add that, on a personal level, I don't have anything against Kate - though the work issue grates me a bit (but it doesn't irritate me as much as it does some).

I think Kate has lost herself in the euphoria that she is William's girlfriend, and it has stunted her growth. She is immature - how can anyone argue that she is anything less than immature when she still lives at home and sleeps in her childhood bedroom? I honestly don't see that Kate is anywhere near ready for the maturity required for marriage and motherhood; but then, neither is William.

Kate and William do seem compatible, I agree, but I think that William needs more than that in a bride. JMO.

I just don't think the monarchy can take the chance on Kate. What if she turns out to be as workshy as Camilla? I think some people may underestimate the esteem in which HM is held. Once she's gone, all bets are off. And the monarchy will have to shape up, or ship out, quite frankly.

See, that's the issue for me: Kate may well rise to the occasion, but equally she may not. You cannot wave a magic wand and give someone a work ethic - no matter how many people are pushing you along. At 27, IMO, it's a bit late in the day to expect Kate to change.

I'm in no position to character assassinate the woman, so I can't make judgements concerning the degree of her confidence. In order to do so I would have to know her, and I do not.

As stated, it is the odd photo that has made me think, but that is through no real fault of her own. The lense captures a mere moment which is in no way to say that any such observation on my behalf, is justifiable. Naturally.

If, as Robert Jobson and the News Of The World suggests, Prince William and Kate were to get married in 2011, that wouldn't interfere with any celebrations at all.

The Jubilee will take place in 2012, and so will the Olympics. 2011 is the perfect year, considering that 2010 is an election year and so many things will be happening in 2012. I don't know if Robert Jobson is correct, but what he says in the article does make a lot of sense. It's very plausible, and it does help to erase the nickname "Waity Katie". If Robert Jobson is right, then William and Catherine have a plan and a schedule in place already, and they are only waiting for the correct time on the schedule to execute the plan.

My impression is that Prince William is in no hurry, he is getting what he wants but I am not sure that Kate is getting what she wants, at the moment she is enjoying the life she leads with attention paid to her among his friends as his constant companion.
If anyone is "waity" I believe it is William, perhaps he is waiting for true love to come his way or for at least someone who will be universally approved of by his future subjects(not to mention his family).
At the moment, whether she deserves it or not she is seen as a very controversial choice and as time goes by she is not getting any younger. It is the unfortunate truth that for him, as a man, this is not that important so he can afford to have the sobriquet "waity"..

two articles talking about an engagement

Pilot Prince William is cleared for a take-off with Kate Middleton - Article
Prince William, Kate to marry in 2011: Report - Article

A 2011 wedding wouldn't disrupt anything. However I still doubt the likeliness of it happenng. If they have already decided to get married, why wait 2 years is a long time. :)
If they had it in 2010 it wouldn't interrupt anything.

I'm in no position to character assassinate the woman, so I can't make judgements concerning the degree of her confidence. In order to do so I would have to know her, and I do not.

As stated, it is the odd photo that has made me think, but that is through no real fault of her own. The lense captures a mere moment which is in no way to say that any such observation on my behalf, is justifiable. Naturally.

I would not think that you 'character assassinate' Kate. :flowers: Some might do that, but I don't engage in such unwarranted nonsense. Kate seems like a perfectly respectable, nice young woman and she's very pretty. If William were, well, William Wales, no problem. But, as HRH Prince William, I do not think Kate is suitable to be his wife and thus Queen Consort.

Since you raised it: as a retired tax lawyer, I can assure you, I've seen plenty of real character assassinations and I don't see that here. I think that these forums are about speculation, conjecture, opinions etc based on what we do know or think we know; and therefore I have to disagree: I think we can make certain judgments about Kate's character based on the facts at hand. It's what a judge has to do every day of the week ... that is to observe someone in a witness box in a short space of time, to assess facts as they are presented etc. It's not always perfect or an exact science. One has to make judgments without really knowing another person thoroughly - if at all. A judge has to fill in the blanks, just as we do.

For example, we do know that Kate has done little with herself since Uni, she has not shown any evidence of real personal growth etc. She is still living with her parents and has disproportionate free time and vacations. None of that is speculation; it is fact. One can draw many conclusions from these facts.

wisteria: I think what you wrote sounds quite harsh, but it does have a ring of truth to it and it was said very respectfully. :)

:previous:

Paris Jackson...welcome to the Forums.

In reference to Kate Middleton, I would state quite emphatically that we don't know what Kate has done since university.

We can assume a lot but since none of us are her or (or a part of her crowd), and since she is not living in a Big Brother scenario where cameras are filming her day, I would say that it quite inaccurate to state that she hasn't shown any personal growth. Simply because we dont know.

In reference to her living at her home, what's wrong with that? I think history has shown when Kate has been on her own (or at least living with her sister) it wasn't a safe environment. Its a lot harder for paparazzi to follow her, take pictures of her on her parents estate in the English countryside as opposed to London. Why should she give up her personal freedom while she goes about her day? Perhaps we have all forgotten the hordes of photographers who stalked Kate on one of her birthday's while she walked about London on her birthday, or when she worked at Topshop (I believe that was the name of the store). Now if she off clubbing at a club that is known to attract celebs and photographers....thats different. But at some aspect even the most public figure deserves a bit of privacy.

In reference to the vacations, I would agree that would appear to the average British citizen that she is a rich girl who has nothing to do and not much in common with them. But again, she is a private citizen who is a rich girl...I would go on tons of vacations if money permitted.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but since Kate is not married to William it remains to be seen on whether a real career (or at least a career that would satisfy everyone but Kate) deems her worthy or not to be a future Queen of England.

Now I would question on whether or not either them are ready to marry since they haven't dated other people (at least that many on each side). But again, that's me. There are plenty of people who marry their first love and are perfectly happy.

Last edited:
Kate worked as an assistant accessories buyer for Jigsaw not Topshop.

CBS News actually did a whole report on that News of the World story...I couldn't believe it. Apparently no one there knows that NOTW is basically crap.

:ermm: "Kate-mania" on the scale of Diana seems like a bit of a stretch - whenever I read an article about her in a British paper, as many people write in that don't like her as do. I think Diana was pretty popular when they got married. Maybe people will warm to her more if an engagement is announced.

She'll get a lot of play in the press, no matter what the palace does, but I don't buy the story that they are worried about her overshadowing William. Women naturally get more attention in the media for a variety of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom