William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the Daily Mail. I think given her reputation it would of been wiser for them to have one privately.

Check out the Daily Mail. I think given her reputation it would of been wiser for them to have one privately.

Thanks, Kezza. Found the article:
Late night date for Kate Middleton and her Prince (but what's with the beard, William?) | Mail Online

Well, it is still ok at least to me, if someone goes occasionally partying. And we have not seen much of Catherine out and about throughout the last months.

If only she would pay more attention to what she is wearing. The blue color is great, but one of the pics shows a bit too much of her bra:ermm:

No, you are not right to assume that. What I was saying was that if she wanted to give to charity she could have done it in many other ways. By the way was it Kate who organised the party? I didn´t know that. I don´t know if the charity fund raiser was because she wanted a party or not, I hope not because I think that is despicable.

Perhaps she gives to charity separately, and that is not plastered across the Daily Mail - I don't knwo the facts, and I would be surprised if anybody else in the public domain would. Surely organising a fund raiser, which by definition goes beyond what one is contributing oneself, cannot be a bad thing in itself.

Thankfully the Daily Mail does not set out the rule son how one must live ones life! This is the first time in many months that Kate and William have been seen out at a social occassion. Its perfectly nortmal in the run up to Christmas for most people, young and old in the UK, to be out for a jolly a few times.

I think those new pictures belong to the current events thread. I wait with trepidation our for Greek friend's insider explanation.
One has to recognise that if the girl steps out of her home to buy a newspaper, her pictures whilst doing so appear in the press the next morning - like it or not, that is the situation.
Photographers were invited within the premises and allowed to stay during the proceedings, this was not the case of media intrusion: in that instance, the attention was courted.
I have always held the view that holding a charity event has a two fold objective: a) raise some funding, and b) increase awareness for the cause being supported. It may be possible to do a) without the press, but you certainly need them for b)!!!
Yes that is the theory, but in practice, it hardly ever works.
Those glitzy events, because of their very nature, get the 'Hello' treatment: you get details about the guest list, the menu, the ladies' fashion, the gossip, maybe the amount of money that was raised. If you're lucky, somewhere buried beneath that pool of glitz, you get the name of the charity, which you will have forgot by the end of the article. They're treated as social events, because that's exactly was they are.
Can you honestly tell me that you can remember what was the name of that boy or the charity from the disco thing without looking it up? Do people even care? It is actually not rare for guests at those swanky event to be confused about why they're here. Those kind of events are about the worst way possible to bring attention to a cause.

I am able to remember on top of my head that Diana walked in a field rigged with anti-personal mines, that Camilla did a heartfelt speech on osteoporosis, that William went to meet and talk with homeless youth in a Centerpoint shelter: those are effective ways to bring about attention to a worthy cause because you're actually very likely to remember both the event and the issue.
In general rule, if you keep the fluff and the glam to a bare minimum, the point gets across.

I highly doubt anyone on the UK was moved to make a donation by pictures of privileged teenagers having fun in trashy 80s gears (a most undignified way to honor a dead friend's memory, imo, but that's another issue), so I stand by my point that is was totally gratuitous to involve the media.
I just think that it is very strange to think someone should be "bashed" for organizing a party to raise money, every little helps and all that.
If that's all or most of what she does, then it will be very little indeed. And that's the point I am trying to make.

Perhaps she gives to charity separately, and that is not plastered across the Daily Mail - I don't knwo the facts, and I would be surprised if anybody else in the public domain would. Surely organising a fund raiser, which by definition goes beyond what one is contributing oneself, cannot be a bad thing in itself.

Organising a charity event for many people makes them feel good without having to put in much money themselves, they are there to make everyone else donate..... then perhaps I am wrong. There is nothing like getting other people to spend their money for a good cause, and she must have been feeling a bit sensitive about the criticism she was getting and as she knows royals are expected to do charity work voila!

William and Kate Out on the Town ..18 Dec 08

Great to see them out and about again .... lovely to see these new pictures of togetherness. Let everyone write what they like about this relationship breakup or otherwise I am just going to quietly play the waiting game and see what William has to say about all these supposed breakup rumours. I think they look really happy together and their personal timetable/agenda is running along nicely towards their long-term future plans together.

The bumper Xmas edition of Hello Magazine is out on Tuesday 23rd December ... did I hear someone say there is to be a special article on the couple? Anyway I will check the Magazine out on Tuesday.

Very interesting article about William (and Kate) in the January 2009 issue of Majesty Magazine which has just arrived by post.

February issue will be all about Camilla's Jewel Box!

If only she would pay more attention to what she is wearing. The blue color is great, but one of the pics shows a bit too much of her bra:ermm:
The media lay in wait to take the most uncompromising picture possible. The dress looked fine from what we could see and even an ordinary blouse can be made to look trashy taken from the wrong angle.

The media lay in wait to take the most uncompromising picture possible. The dress looked fine from what we could see and even an ordinary blouse can be made to look trashy taken from the wrong angle.

Quite right. Does not look like a revealing or inappropriate dress to me

Those kind of events are about the worst way possible to bring attention to a cause.

I am able to remember on top of my head that Diana walked in a field rigged with anti-personal mines, that Camilla did a heartfelt speech on osteoporosis, that William went to meet and talk with homeless youth in a Centerpoint shelter: those are effective ways to bring about attention to a worthy cause because you're actually very likely to remember both the event and the issue.

You are absolutely right, and if Kate marries William, I am sure she will do her bit as well. As of now, she is a private citizen, working for her parents. If she organises a charity event in her spare time, I really do not think she is doing anything wrong - but thats just my view :)

Quite right. Does not look like a revealing or inappropriate dress to me

Kate looks the same as she has done for years and that's no different from thousands of other girls hitting the town for party. http://i43.tinypic.com/301diq9.jpg

Some might call it sloppy etc because especially on the way home and after some drinks etc the dress usually looks displaced or the hair looks unkempt but that's just business as usual for a british night out.

The dress is a pretty color but with those boots, and the sloppy way it fits her in this pic, it looks bad. If she had just picked better footwear (NOT those knee boots!!) it might look quite a bit better. Sometimes she just kills an outfit with her boots. Just absolutely sinks it. :nonono:

Love the color on Kate. And I won't blame her for paparazzi who are trying their best to take pictures from unflattering angles.

Seems to me that this business about her "reputation" is pretty silly at this point. This is the first time she's been photographed out at a London club since August, if I remember correctly. Twice in four months! What a party animal!

New Idea occasionally gets it right (breaking -- irresponsibly -- the story of Harry's service in Afghanistan, for one), but I'm not sure I'd put much stock in this one. Could be that something like this is in the works, but these kinds of "imminent engagement" stories are published all the time.

New Idea occasionally gets it right (breaking -- irresponsibly -- the story of Harry's service in Afghanistan, for one), but I'm not sure I'd put much stock in this one. Could be that something like this is in the works, but these kinds of "imminent engagement" stories are published all the time.

I can hope a little bit. It would be wonderful to see them marry in 2009. Something wonderful to look forward too. I hope the New Idea has a scope.:wub:

Thank you, windsorgirl. :flowers:

So Kate has been invited for Christmas...again...:rolleyes:

New Idea said:
Royal courtiers are believed to be hurryingly drafting up secret plans for a wedding

That's their job, is it not? It would be irresponsible of them not to have plans drawn up for anything even a little likely.

Organising a charity event for many people makes them feel good without having to put in much money themselves, they are there to make everyone else donate..... then perhaps I am wrong. There is nothing like getting other people to spend their money for a good cause, and she must have been feeling a bit sensitive about the criticism she was getting and as she knows royals are expected to do charity work voila!

There are many valuable ways to contribute to a charity besides giving money. I don't understand what precisely was Kate's part, but if she organized the event, that's a very important part. The events don't organize themselves. But even if she didn't actually do much leg work in organizing it....so if she uses her name recognition to get people together in awareness and financial support for a charity, that's a good contribution by itself. That's pretty much all Diana ever did. Do you think Diana gave her own money to charities? Think again. But Diana surely got a lot of people to take notice and put up money for the causes she cared about, and that was what made her a powerful force!

And I won't blame her for paparazzi who are trying their best to take pictures from unflattering angles.
I don't think what makes that shot bad is the angle, or even the bra peep.
It's more like a combination of many things: the tacky lining of the coat, the skimpiness of the dress (barely mid-thigh, only a few inches below her crotch) coupled with high boots (mini + high boots is always a vulgar combo), the loud color of the dress and the very cheap-looking fabric, the studded bag and, imo, the rather haggard face... all that is very Pretty Woman (the Julia Roberts version, before the make-over).
The only reason she gets away with that really trashy outfit is the boyishness of her body. On a womanly figure, it would have looked downright crass.
This is the first time she's been photographed out at a London club since August, if I remember correctly. Twice in four months! What a party animal!
I agree. I don't have a problem with that outing.
I think you are giving the publication too much credit. The only reason they had access to this information is because it was literally an open secret as part of a deal between CH and the media. They didn't actually found out the info through their top notch investigative journalists, it was handed to them.
As for the article, I attempted to read it but it was so full of absurd speculation presented as facts that I gave up. Had it been a negative article, it would have been totally trashed already.

To say the least we know they are still together. Our musings and speculations can now reside safely on the side of romanticism. They are together and if that last article has any inclination, a wedding is to take place. I do wonder about the source to this rumour. But since I am a Kate and William fan I take it wholeheartedly. Whatever develops in the house of Windsor I'm sure they are to determine their quest for now as a duo. I personally don't think the wait is without merit. Many friendships are better with time. For now we have hope that they will be. I'm glad for them. Hope they have a nice Christmas day.

Depending on the type of event, organizing something for charity is quite a bit of work. In our area, a lady organized a silent auction and dessert buffet to dig a well in Peru so that the people would have fresh water. Even though it was a small event by some standards, I have no doubt that the lady did a lot of work in organizing it. These events don't happen without an intelligent person putting in a lot of hours. I expect that this lady took time away from running her own business, and thereby doing without some income, in order to get support for a cause she believed in.

I really feel badly that so many of our members cannot remember that the roller disco, which Kate helped to organize, was held to raise money for Tom's Ward. This is a charity in honor of her friend, Thomas Waley-Cohen, who died of bone cancer at the very young age of twenty. The money raised was used to help create an oncology unit at the Oxford Children's Hospital in his name. Tom was a member of the Peerage and the disco was not the only high profile event held to help this cause.

STING AND VETTRIANO HELP AUCTION FOR TRAGIC STUDENT - StingUs - News on The Police, Sting, Steward Copeland and Andy Summers

Pharmacy Choice - Pharmaceutical News - Cycling: Cyclists raise pounds 25,000 for hospital - December 19, 2008

Personally, I may feel a little more strongly than most about this glaring omission from the discussion about the event as I am a cancer survivor myself but, honestly, I think a bit too much attention was given to what Kate wore and how often she lost her footing as opposed to emphasizing what she was trying to raise money for. However, you can't blame Kate for that. It is the "Enquiring Minds Want to Know" mentality that is to blame. People would rather read an article about her that infers embarrassment because of an awkward photo than do something compassionate like paying attention to the cause itself. The sad part is, if she had done this low key, it would have been completely unworthy of any news coverage at all. Because of the "scandal" involved, a few more people know about it now. :nonono:

Idreal I think one needs a "My Fair Lady' makeover here if one is ever to become a true royal 'one'

In my opinion--and I've said it before--Kate has done nothing to earn the kind of bashing that she gets. No matter what she does, there are those who have to find fault with her. :nonono:

I remember one princess who back in the 80s said, "I think there's entirely too much attention paid to my clothes."

I say give credit where credit is due: Kate voluntarily took part in this important fundraising effort and took part in it with a smile. She didn't pout when she fell down, and she served tables as well.

Congratulations on being a survivor, Kimebear.:flowers:

I think a bit too much attention was given to what Kate wore and how often she lost her footing as opposed to emphasizing what she was trying to raise money for. However, you can't blame Kate for that. It is the "Enquiring Minds Want to Know" mentality that is to blame. People would rather read an article about her that infers embarrassment because of an awkward photo than do something compassionate like paying attention to the cause itself. The sad part is, if she had done this low key, it would have been completely unworthy of any news coverage at all. Because of the "scandal" involved, a few more people know about it now. :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom