William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly - I don't see William marrying until he has finished with his millitary career and has some experience of full-time royal duties under his belt. I think a marriage could be five or more years away for William (and I do see Kate waiting because I think she does love him and that they have worked out a timeline that will work for them).

Wouldn't Wills be based in the UK though whereas Andrew was away with the navy? If based in the UK why could Kate as finacé/wife not live on base with him?

Wouldn't Wills be based in the UK though whereas Andrew was away with the navy? If based in the UK why could Kate as finacé/wife not live on base with him?

It isn't a matter of her living on base with him but that she would be expected to do royal duties from the wedding whereas he would still be in the military.

It is the doing royal duties side of things that is why I think they may wait until after William has finished his military service.

If based in the UK why could Kate as finacé/wife not live on base with him?

Because then she'll be derided as a layabout sitting around and sipping gin on the public dole.

If they get married, she will be expected to work tirelessly, stop having a personal life, give up anything resembling an opinion about anything (unless it's a vaguely compassionate opinion about saving something cute from harm), have several children as soon as biologically possible, raise them perfectly (like normal children, but not so normal that they act normal, that wouldn't do), and never appear to be tired, worried, or sick ever again, all while dressing beautifully and smiling for the rest of her life, which could be 70 or so years.

I can understand wanting to delay that happening for a little while.

It seems as though a royal marriage is not really a marriage it is a job, "expected to do royal duties" immediately after the wedding sounds ghastly. In the time of Henry VIII Queens only had one royal duty to do.
They probably have a "future Queen of England" application form, please fill in with complete honesty before handing in and don´t forget a full family tree signed and witnessed. In case this is difficult, a page or pages from Debrett´s will be sufficient for the present....

A royal marriage is also a job as the new partner can't continue with their pre-marriage job and must take on the job of their husband for life e.g. Camilla marries Charles at an age when most working women would be planning to retire but she has to take up a full-time job at that age. As for being an 'at home' Mum - no such chance - sorry still have to work and be a great Mum but the idea of taking a year or more's maternity leave isn't a possibility for a royal Mum.

True. Just look at the comments concerning Sophie's maternity leave and how long she stayed out of royal duty after the birth of James ...

It could be that the military extension was designed to delay wedding plans, but I also think it could be a sneaky way for the boys to retain some measure of privacy even if they do get married in the next year or two. It'd be harder to have paparazzi access to a young couple living on a military base, I'd wager. Plus, that way they'd have some time to enjoy being married before being subjected to the rigors of life as full-time royals.
It could well be a chance for them to have something resembling a normal married life, whilst he is still in the RAF. There is no need to live on base though, they can rent a house or estate within easy daily traveling distance of the base, as very many Officers do. Not all Officers, junior or senior live on the bases. :flowers:

Wills'n'Kate would never get away with living the quiet army life a a married couple. It would only add up to the workshy image people already have of them. When they get married they will be on full royal agenda. Full stop. Everything else would be a constant struggle with media etc that will only harm the monarchy and the royal image in the end, destroy what very hardworking family members such as the monarch couple, Charles or Anne have build up in years. We are talking about a future british monarch here, not about Harry or Zara Phillips. Wills & his future wife will be forced into service & duty by the public / media (for the wife this means getting pregnant) and in case they are together and in love, this might be the main reason why they haven't considered a committment yet. Wills might not be the brightest guy in town but he will have understood that part of his role.

Wills'n'Kate would never get away with living the quiet army life a a married couple. It would only add up to the workshy image people already have of them.
Just because you marry into the RAF or Army, doesn't mean you can't do anything with your life. Once married she might then be able to dedicate herself to charitable causes, which as Miss M, she is unable to do without criticism. :flowers:
--- snipped ---- Wills & his future wife will be forced into service & duty by the public / media (for the wife this means getting pregnant) and in case they are together and in love, this might be the main reason why they haven't considered a committment yet. Wills might not be the brightest guy in town but he will have understood that part of his role.
William would continue his work in the RAF with some Royal duties, she, even if pregnant could become involved in charitable works. Being pregnant is not an illness and does not neccessitate an end to life as she may know it. :D

You have such a common-sense approach to this whole William and Kate "thing", Skydragon. I appreciate your posts.:flowers:

Just because you marry into the RAF or Army, doesn't mean you can't do anything with your life. Once married she might then be able to dedicate herself to charitable causes, which as Miss M, she is unable to do without criticism. :flowers: William would continue his work in the RAF with some Royal duties, she, even if pregnant could become involved in charitable works. Being pregnant is not an illness and does not neccessitate an end to life as she may know it. :D

Wouldn't it be possible for Kate to occupy herself with suitable charitable activities and only do only occasional, mainly joint, Royal duties while William is pursuing his military career. If he is not a full time Royal, why should she be? This would give them a chance to live as normally as possible for a while.

I don't see why this wouldn't be acceptable, especially with the problems with Andrew/Sarah fresh in everyone's memories. The RF is changing the way it operates and this could be a part of the modernising plan. It would set a precedent for Harry, too.

I hope they get married. I think shes been prepared well by the family. Maybe its taking long because they don't want another Diana situation. THe royal family is well aware that its not easy for an outsider, and they have learned from the previous situation what to do and what not to do.
As for Kate and William, some people date for years and then get married all of a sudden so don't lose hope William and Kate lovers.

Some people date for years and then marry someone else.

she might then be able to dedicate herself to charitable causes, which as Miss M, she is unable to do without criticism.
Why would she be criticised?
Hundred of thousands anonymous people engage in charity work every weeks without being accused of putting on royal airs.
If her charity work consists of glorified partying like the roller disco thing, yes she will be bashed, and rightly so. But genuine, consistent and low-key community work will be praised. Only the hateful cynics will trash her for giving an helping hand, and why should she (or anyone really) care about such people?
Even if the media spins her charity work against her, so what? She is criticised when she does nothing, she can take the risk of being criticised while doing something, at least somebody is benefiting.

If her charity work consists of glorified partying like the roller disco thing, yes she will be bashed, and rightly so
Are you serious? A person that is involved in organizing an event to raise money in memory of a friend that has died should be bashed because the event happens to be a fun one. :ohmy: :nonono:

...But genuine, consistent and low-key community work will be praised.....

Isn't the point of low-key work by definition meant no one should know about it? Then how can she be praised for something no one knows about? :ermm:

Wouldn't it be possible for Kate to occupy herself with suitable charitable activities and only do only occasional, mainly joint, Royal duties while William is pursuing his military career. If he is not a full time Royal, why should she be? This would give them a chance to live as normally as possible for a while.

I don't see why this wouldn't be acceptable, especially with the problems with Andrew/Sarah fresh in everyone's memories. The RF is changing the way it operates and this could be a part of the modernising plan. It would set a precedent for Harry, too.

I agree completely -- I think we may well see a different plan for William and his wife, especially if he marries before his father becomes king. They could do the sort of occasional duties that he undertakes now while he's in the military, and after he's finished his SAR commitment, they could become full-time royals. Then they'd have had some time on their own and they would have been sort of eased in to the world of royal engagements.

Are you serious? A person that is involved in organizing an event to raise money in memory of a friend that has died should be bashed because the event happens to be a fun one. :ohmy: :nonono:
Yes I am serious.
She could have just given the money quietly, opened her vast Rolodex and appealed to her rich friends to do the same. Whatever money was raised by the event (a sum to which you must withdraw the cost of organising the event, of course) could have been raised quietly. There was no actual need to transform a straightforward charitable donation into a carousing party and invite the press to document it.

This is not just a criticism of that particular party, but of charity galas and parties in general, which became popular in the 80's so the wealthy could go on partying guilt-free during a time of recession. There is some latent hypocrisy there, imo, and a solid dose of moral exhibitionism.

I don't think people were offended by that particular event but if the bulk of her charity work becomes that kind of glamorous affairs, it will grate many people.
Even if she seats on boards and help organise things. It still amounts to party organising, and those boards are often an excuse for social networking anyway. There are hundreds of socialites who seat on various charity boards in aid of the poor/the homeless/the orphans but who are tightly sheltered from those they profess to be so concerned with. I don't have a huge amount of respect for that.
I prefer the people who have parties when they feel like it and don't apologise for it, and then give privately to charities without making a fuss about it.
But I do realise my opinion is the minority and that it is a very well socially accepted thing and widely done, so maybe she would get away with it.
Isn't the point of low-key work by definition meant no one should know about it? Then how can she be praised for something no one knows about? :ermm:
Oh come on. It will filter to the press one way or another, she isn't anonymous. Do we get pictures of her working, sitting on her desk or taking cupcake pictures? No. Yet we know she does that from time to time.

Some people date for years and then marry someone else.

LOL! The late JFK Jr and Darryl Hannah anyone? Comedian Jerry Seinfeld and Shoshannah whats-er-name? Princess Caroline of Monaco and Robertino Rossellini?

I agree completely -- I think we may well see a different plan for William and his wife, especially if he marries before his father becomes king. They could do the sort of occasional duties that he undertakes now while he's in the military, and after he's finished his SAR commitment, they could become full-time royals. Then they'd have had some time on their own and they would have been sort of eased in to the world of royal engagements.

I doubt that will happen. Once Will is engaged, there will be huge public interest in his wife to be, and an expectation on behalf of the press and public at large to see her out and about, and in a limited way, to get to know her through her engagements. The option of doing occassional duties only will really not exist.

I actually think it will be good timing for Will and Kate (if she is the one) to marry whilst he is doing his SAR role. They can live on or close to a base. He can continue with his military career and continue to do public engagements in his time off. As we have seen over the last few years, he will gradually increase the number of engagements he carries out, whilst continuing to be a serving officer. Meanwhile, Kate can slowly start to undertake royal engagements, initially with Will and perhaps with Camilla, and in time on her own. Ideally these engagements and the charitable causes she starts to support would be based in the part of the country they live in. This will allow them to have a good mix of private time together and a public role for them both.

There was no actual need to transform a straightforward charitable donation into a carousing party and invite the press to document it..................... I don't think people were offended by that particular event but if the bulk of her charity work becomes that kind of glamorous affairs, it will grate many people.

One has to recognise that if the girl steps out of her home to buy a newspaper, her pictures whilst doing so appear in the press the next morning - like it or not, that is the situation.

I have always held the view that holding a charity event has a two fold objective: a) raise some funding, and b) increase awareness for the cause being supported. It may be possible to do a) without the press, but you certainly need them for b)!!!

I don't see why this wouldn't be acceptable, especially with the problems with Andrew/Sarah fresh in everyone's memories.
Andrew and Sarahs marital problems are not fresh in most peoples memories though and some of those who do remember, do not take into account Andrews absences. And that , IMO, would be the main difference between any arrangement for William, he will be based at a particular station and if he is posted, she will just move with him.:flowers:

Yes I am serious.
She could have just given the money quietly, opened her vast Rolodex and appealed to her rich friends to do the same. Whatever money was raised by the event (a sum to which you must withdraw the cost of organising the event, of course) could have been raised quietly. There was no actual need to transform a straightforward charitable donation into a carousing party and invite the press to document it.

This is not just a criticism of that particular party, but of charity galas and parties in general, which became popular in the 80's so the wealthy could go on partying guilt-free during a time of recession. There is some latent hypocrisy there, imo, and a solid dose of moral exhibitionism.

I don't think people were offended by that particular event but if the bulk of her charity work becomes that kind of glamorous affairs, it will grate many people.
I agree with this, party if you want to but don´t make excuses that you are having a wonderful time in memory of a dead friend or the starving in some foreign country or the like..... Eating a banquet for the starving for me is plain hypocrisy. It is like giving huge amounts of money to charity hoping to be in the honours list in the New Year or get a huge rebate off your taxes in other climes.
Charitable work can be discreet. Kate can be discreet, we haven´t seen her for months so she does know what low profile is and can keep away from the cameras - if she wants to.

Am I right in assuming that you are suggesting that Kate only organised the charity fund raiser becase she wanted to "party"?

No, you are not right to assume that. What I was saying was that if she wanted to give to charity she could have done it in many other ways. By the way was it Kate who organised the party? I didn´t know that. I don´t know if the charity fund raiser was because she wanted a party or not, I hope not because I think that is despicable.

Out partying last night With William, Pippa and Kate. Not a clever move for ones reputation being that of a party girl.

By the way was it Kate who organised the party? I didn´t know that
There is a link buried somewhere in these many pages (or on another Kate thread)to the website for the event. It listed those involved in the organizing the event, Kate, or Catherine as she was called on the site, was among them.

What I was saying was that if she wanted to give to charity she could have done it in many other ways.
Perhaps she does carry out charity in other ways, perhaps this was just one them. Then again perhaps she doesn't. I just think that it is very strange to think someone should be "bashed" for organizing a party to raise money, every little helps and all that.

Out partying last night With William, Pippa and Kate. Not a clever move for ones reputation being that of a party girl.
Yes nothing says wild party animal like being seen out for the fist time in months during the Christmas season :rolleyes:

Where did you get this information about partying last night? And even if it is true, what is wrong with it? At least over here it is pretty normal to do a lot of partying prior to X-Mas ... with colleagues/associates ... with this club members ... and another club members ... hey, it is Christmas time! This includes some partying unless you are a complete unsocial person :eek::flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom