William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He can't marry a Roman Catholic who won't convert to the Church of England.

Why do you think that he can't have any woman he wants? The last few marriages in the previous generation have pretty much been to whomever the royal spouse wanted. Charles and Camilla, Anne and Tm Lawrence, Edward and Sophie...all the way back to the Margaret Snowden Marriage....commoners all, some divorced, one of jewish family heritage, one of dubious sexual preference....all of these in 'the old days' would have been a deal breaker. Except the dubious sexual preference, of course. ;-)

I think all of this is academic. He may already have met the lady he plans to spend the rest of his life with. It seems the Countess of Wessex has also recently been relieved of some charity patronages...... though it all may just be a coincidence!

It seems the Countess of Wessex has also recently been relieved of some charity patronages...... though it all may just be a coincidence!

stripping sophie of patronages in order to hand them over to kate in dues course because an engagement is imminent? well, that's what i call gossip :D if this was true i wouldn't be surprised if the river thames would flow in reverse direction tomorrow!

Has anyone read the article from the telegraph?

The Queen urges members of the Royal Family to show support through recession - Telegraph

Writing in today's Daily Telegraph, columnist Mary Riddell explains that the Queen is planning to be a figurehead in the financial crisis.
"The changes will be largely presentational," she writes. " It has been decided that the princes should stick to military careers rather than glossy, fund-raising events. 'This is not the right time for ribbon-cutting,' I am told."

Sounds like any Royal wedding could be years away then?

Has anyone read the article from the telegraph?

The Queen urges members of the Royal Family to show support through recession - Telegraph

Sounds like any Royal wedding could be years away then?

Exactly.

IMO the article reflects the situation the BRF are currently in very well. A royal wedding at this stage would rather be a backslash for the monarchy as the vast majority of british people are hit by recession and don't think much of Prince William and even less of Miss Middleton.

William will probably be delighted to hear that people are not in the mood for a lavish wedding these days as I believe this is not what he had in mind or will have in mind for the next years anyway. Maybe Kate will fade into oblivion - either forever or, if their love is strong enough, only for a few more years until she's back with a bang, like a jack-in-the-box.

Exactly.

IMO the article reflects the situation the BRF are currently in very well. A royal wedding at this stage would rather be a backslash for the monarchy as the vast majority of british people are hit by recession and don't think much of Prince William and even less of Miss Middleton.

William will probably be delighted to hear that people are not in the mood for a lavish wedding these days as I believe this is not what he had in mind or will have in mind for the next years anyway. Maybe Kate will fade into oblivion - either forever or, if their love is strong enough, only for a few more years until she's back with a bang, like a jack-in-the-box.

Quite amusing! I had not realised the decision of a couple to marry or not depended on the state of the nations finances. If the couple were ready to marry (and whenever that might be), they will get married. The economic environment may determine the size and scale of wedding celebrations (and perhaps some small alterations to time table), but its hardly going to determine whether they marry or not.

Yes, for "ordinary" couples but the scale of a wedding of an heir to the throne can hardly be downsized to a degree that the public would find acceptable in economic recession, I guess. Several hundred foreign dignitaries would have to be invited and hosted etc probably for millions of pounds. An engagement ring would have to be representative and hence be rather expensive, too, the same goes for the dress. Some of the rack piece for some hundred pounds surely doesn't do for a future Queen. It's not like William could marry with 100 people in Balmoral on HM's private expense. So I DO see the argument that this would not be good times to plan such a party.

Quite amusing! I had not realised the decision of a couple to marry or not depended on the state of the nations finances.

oh yes, it does as the (financial) state of the nation has a strong impact on public opinion. as isana said, you can't downsize the wedding of the heir to the throne. people are facing a daily struggle with their livelihoods and don't want their taxes being spend on a multimillion £ event. it's against common sense. plus, other than in 1981 there are no fairy tale vibes around the relationship concerned. everybody was enthusiastic about the charles & di story but in 2008 everybody is annoyed by the on-off William & Kate story. of course william can marry whenever he wants but the BRF as a fact depend on public opinion if they want to survive long-term. better do not upset your people big time.

oh yes, it does as the (financial) state of the nation has a strong impact on public opinion. as isana said, you can't downsize the wedding of the heir to the throne. people are facing a daily struggle with their livelihoods and don't want their taxes being spend on a multimillion £ event. it's against common sense. plus, other than in 1981 there are no fairy tale vibes around the relationship concerned. everybody was enthusiastic about the charles & di story but in 2008 everybody is annoyed by the on-off William & Kate story. of course william can marry whenever he wants but the BRF as a fact depend on public opinion if they want to survive long-term. better do not upset your people big time.

Personally, I hve never believed that Will & Kate are about to get married. My estimate is that if they are to marry, it will probably be in the summer of 2010 - this is something that I have said on TRF a few times.

You are asbolutely right in that the financial state of the nation has an impact on national mood. However, there is nothing that says that the wedding of the 2nd in line to the throne can't be scaled down. I am not suggesting an escape to Gretna Green, but a relatively scaled down royal wedding would not be a problem. As regards your comments on peoples taxes being spent on a royal wedding, I have no doubt the expenses will be met by HM, and not the exchequer.

everybody was enthusiastic about the charles & di story but in 2008 everybody is annoyed by the on-off William & Kate story. of course william can marry whenever he wants but the BRF as a fact depend on public opinion if they want to survive long-term. better do not upset your people big time.

You may recall the public acceptance of a relationship between Charles an Diana was very short lived, prior to the announcement of an engagement. The situation here is very different, and what we have here is a classic case of the tabloid press hungry for a story in relation to W&K. The fact that they cannot find one is no doubt hurting the bottom line of the newspapers, and as a result, they have turned negative for the last 6-12 months. There is still very little information out there about the state of the relationship, other than a few stray articles in some tabloids, and some people on TRF. IMO, the informed would not to be gullible to base their judgement on either of these two sources! :)

You are completely right CAsiraghiTrio.

Georgiea, it's not my gut feeling. As a barrister, I don't like using it or my sixth sense. My prediction is just based on everything we have been reading (maybe some news are true, or simply big lies, but who knows??)

For the record: I like KM.

Sorry moderators for comparing KM to Chelsy, didn't know it's a taboo. But it's a little awkward that it's a forbidden issue, because it's nothing personal, we are just using public people as a way to understand the situation. However, i totally respect the rules and will never do it again.

Sorry to say that, but sometimes i think people tend to take everything we say too seriously. If we want to be like "The Economist", maybe there should be an examination to see if some people are able to take part of the forum.

From everything I've been reading, not just here, I think i should return to my complete silent participation.

Take care all and sorry again for breaking posting rules (i'm not being sarcastic).
Please don't go. And please DON'T BE SILENT!! POST MUCH MORE!!!! You have a right to your views!!

Welcome!:flowers:

Yes, for "ordinary" couples but the scale of a wedding of an heir to the throne can hardly be downsized to a degree that the public would find acceptable in economic recession, I guess. Several hundred foreign dignitaries would have to be invited and hosted etc probably for millions of pounds. An engagement ring would have to be representative and hence be rather expensive, too, the same goes for the dress. Some of the rack piece for some hundred pounds surely doesn't do for a future Queen. It's not like William could marry with 100 people in Balmoral on HM's private expense. So I DO see the argument that this would not be good times to plan such a party.

There are royal weddings, and there are royal weddings - the key thing is that each wedding can be tailored to the specific circumstances. I hate to put it like this, but the cost of the dress and ring are hardly material in this context!

That said, just on the subject of the ring, even if the cost of the ring became an issue, I am sure the odd trinket could be found in the royal vaults that could do the job. Foeign dignitiaries do not need to be accomodated - they typically make their own arrangements and tend to stay at the embassy / high commission of their country.

Wedding expenses are typically bourn by HM. Celebrtions can be limited, but thats hardly the point. And I know that times have changed, but the wedding of the Edinburgh's was actually one ofthe ways the government was keen to lift the national mood after WW2!

About the ring, Prince Charles gave Camilla a "little" old ring that had belonged to his grandmother......I wonder what his grandmother would have thought of that. She may have been pleased, and then again she may not have been. Nice ring though.

Wedding expenses are typically bourn by HM. Celebrtions can be limited, but thats hardly the point. And I know that times have changed, but the wedding of the Edinburgh's was actually one ofthe ways the government was keen to lift the national mood after WW2!

I can see both sides of the argument - an extravagant wedding in tough economic times could make the royals seem out of touch with the people, and that's the last thing they need right now, but a royal wedding could also be a major coup for the tourism industry in Britain (and probably other parts of the economy, too). There would be wedding souvenirs, books, videos, all sorts of merchandise, plus the boost for businesses like hotels, restaurants, and others that would cater to people coming to London to see the occasion.

I don't know. I'd hope that, if/when they decide to get married, they'll just go ahead with it and tailor the occasion to fit with the economic mood.

...but a royal wedding could also be a major coup for the tourism industry in Britain (and probably other parts of the economy, too). There would be wedding souvenirs, books, videos, all sorts of merchandise, plus the boost for businesses like hotels, restaurants, and others that would cater to people coming to London to see the occasion.

at least one member of the brf won't share your view. philip certainly won't be amused - for him tourism is just "national prostitution", remember :D

at least one member of the brf won't share your view. philip certainly won't be amused - for him tourism is just "national prostitution", remember :D

.... but even philip is pragmatic enough to accept a degree of national prostitution from time to time! :ROFLMAO: He may complain, but at least the tourists allow him to stand in his study and have somebody to laugh at, without venturing far!

I appreciate the idea for William's wedding to be a scaled down version of a royal wedding. I used to say I'd like to see him have something like Peter's or Edward's wedding but people here said I must be crazy since he is the heir to the heir to the throne. :D What would be not "crazy," a "scaled down" or "the works" style ceremony in Westminster Abbey? I will be happy with whatever kind of ceremony CH/BP deems appropriate, for William, for the bride, and for the "times." I am actually more curious to read more thoughts on it from other posters as well as the lurkers out there who might be too shy to unmask themselves. :flowers:

Well, I'm a lurker, so I'll be the first to venture a thought...

As press-shy as William appears to be, I almost think he would prefer a scaled-down wedding rather than something fabulously elaborate and excessively expensive. It would seem to suit the relationship he has with Kate if it were a low-key affair, as intimate as is possible for the second in line to the throne.

Not that I necessarily expect to see an engagement announcement too soon. I used to think that before William signed up for the SAR training, but now, I lean towards agreeing with those who expect a wedding in the summer of 2010 at the earliest. But, there is that bit with Sophie losing her patronages, which could go to a new member of the BRF should there be one in the offing.

There are two young Royals who have just told the whole world via TV that they want to be "hands-on"-charity worker, espeically when it comes to children. About time the queen takes them by their own words. You know, the old method: if someone is running wild, it's because they're too idle. So keep them occupied.

So who is running wild? :ermm:

Glad to see you delurking, Sunnystar. :welcome:

I think you have a good point about William: he may be happier with a scaled down wedding. I also think that a less lavish event might be more appropriate for today, and not just because of the economic conditions. Attitudes to the monarchy have changed over the last 27 years since Charles' first wedding, and I don't think there would be anywhere near the interest there was then, with all the street parties, etc. And there is also the fact that the fairytale element has gone, permanently I think. Everyone now knows that heirs to the Crown - and their brother and their sister - can get divorced and remarry, so it might not be forever after, and I think that will make a considerable difference.

I don't think that any member of the RF's personal plans, such as the wish to get married, should be postponed because of economic circumstances; if they want to get married, they should get married. I agree with others who have said they should tailor the occasion to meet the economic mood.

Have these two be seen together in the last few weeks? I may have missed some outings but I wonder. Last photos I have seen of WIlliam were during the bike race but none since. Help?

William won't be getting maried probably until he is in his thirties. I think people have a long time to prepare, which is good. It will be after all of the troubles and it will be big and fun.

William and Kate have not been photographed together since they attended a friend's wedidng in Austria 5 September. I think William was last pictured at the Buckingham Palace party for his father's birthday November 13. Kate has not been photographed since October 14 when the pictures of her allegedly driving while on the phone were taken.
There was gossip that they spend a hunting weekend in Birkhall in late October/early November and there were reports that she attended Charles' birthday party in Highrove November 15.
Reportedly William has been on a mission in the Caribbean with the SBS for 10 days starting November 17 - so he should be back by now.

Thank you Isana. I am glad I am up to date with their comings and goings. I guess we have to wait for the Christmas holidays to see if anything new develops.

I doubt that either William or Harry could get away with a small scale wedding. Zara yes, but William and Harry no.

I think William will marry in his 30's and i'm not sure Kate will be around by then.

Thank you Isana. I am glad I am up to date with their comings and goings. I guess we have to wait for the Christmas holidays to see if anything new develops.

After Christmas she's on her own for a few years.
Haven't heard the old Sandringham story lately, pity.

The annual Sandringham story was already posted in July this year apparently for lack of other stories. Kate politely declined the invitation to spend Christmas with her family - as usual. ;)

I doubt that either William or Harry could get away with a small scale wedding. Zara yes, but William and Harry no.

I think William will marry in his 30's and i'm not sure Kate will be around by then.

I agree Kezza, I want William to have a big wedding, if he marries a good girl. Why should the other royal familes have large up-scale weddings but not Britain.

I've been wondering something. I'm just trying it on for size. Maybe there's been a deal between the media and ???? Leave Kate alone until........ XYZ and then you'll have something.

It's not fact, not speculation, not a matter to debate with me on. It's just a little game of fill in the blanks and let me see if a) most think I'm crazy, b) some people wanna go HMMM, or c) all think I'm nuttier than squirrel poo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom