William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I see a lot of the girlfriends of young princes (William, Harry, Andrea, Pierre) be criticized at the smallest things and be deemed "not good enough or suitable" when really, what if William isn't good enough or suitable to Kate? I don't think she or he feel like he's the catch in the relationship and it's unfair to criticize Kate when William himself has done some fairly questionable behavior.

Not many pics of Kate out and about lately. Maybe the big announcement is coming soon.

To be honest, I see a lot of the girlfriends of young princes (William, Harry, Andrea, Pierre) be criticized at the smallest things and be deemed "not good enough or suitable" when really, what if William isn't good enough or suitable to Kate? I don't think she or he feel like he's the catch in the relationship and it's unfair to criticize Kate when William himself has done some fairly questionable behavior.

I am afraid you have it completely wrong Shaiya. William is going to be King of England, is not that a catch for any social climbing girl, you couldn´t go higher than that.
Kate has nothing to qualify her for the "position" of Queen of England except she looks good in photographs and for some reason so many middle and lower middle-class girls have identified with her. Cinderella all over again. I think that this is all very well in story books but in real life it is almost impossible. I admit it has happened - but so far in Britain it hasn´t.

Kate will be Queen

I completely disagree with you. Firstly, Danish Royals have, in recent times married 'commoners' from abroad, eg: Princess Mary who was an ordinary Australian woman. What about Autumn Kelly ??? She was a Canadian BMW promotional girl when she met the Queen's eldest Grandson. While Princess Di had blue blood and made an excellent Princess, from the Royals perspective a lesson has been learnt that what might seem a good match on paper was not a good 'love match' for Prince Charles and ended in divorce and drama for the Royal family. I think the Royal family have learnt their lessons and I believe that Miss Middleton has the ticket... upper-middle class she might be but she has a St Andrew's Education, dresses like a Sloan, comes from a good family albeit a middle class one and is always emotionally controlled and composed when it counts (media/press.) At the end of the day, Prince William loves her and she has endured a break up, University, military training, time apart, scrutiny by the media and the test of longevity (5 years.) Sorry girls, Prince William will never be a bachelor.

Oh and lets face it, in this day and age even aristocratic girls have cobwebs where as Kate has none. If it were any other 20 something girl then the media would have so much more dirt on them - one night stands, ex boyfriends dishing dirt, drunken nights vommiting in a gutter, family cobwebs - with Kate this isn't so and the best they can do is a few party photos of her brother dressed as a tranny - in this day and age that's pretty tame.

I completely disagree with you. Firstly, Danish Royals have, in recent times married 'commoners' from abroad, eg: Princess Mary who was an ordinary Australian woman. What about Autumn Kelly ??? She was a Canadian BMW promotional girl when she met the Queen's eldest Grandson.years.)

Well I couldn´t disagree with you more. She is not upper middle class, lower middle class is more like it. Autumn Kelly doesn´t count, her husband is not going to be King of England. The Danes and other Nordic peoples are far more easy going than the British....and by the way who told you that William loves her? Just because she has been hanging round waiting for 5 years doesn´t mean he is going to marry her. He is going to be King of England and I am sure he is going to think very carefully before he commits himself to making any young lady the future Queen of England, and will listen to the Queen and his family before he makes any decision. All the wishful thinking in the world by the "romantic" young soap opera followers will not have any effect on the outcome of this story. Royals are royals, if he finds she is not suitable duty will come first, and although I feel very sorry for Miss Middleton if this happens she will be back to selling party pieces. I really wish that she would find a life for herself instead of living on hope.
The Duke of Windsor had a mistress, Mrs Dudley Ward for 15 years and told the telephonist not to put her through any more , that is the way he broke with her. He had no intention of marrying her but I am just pointing out that 15 years is much longer than 5.

The "bestseller" continues....

What we know about Kate..... She.............

divided her gap year: some in Florence to study art, some in Chile

attended ?Holly Branson's ?birthday bash in South Africa

was @ the center of a debate about "did she or didn't she" go to Seychelles with Prince William for a August/september 2007 holiday

is on PETA's naughty list for unabashedly wearing fur stuffs, i.e. her Russian style hat

attended Hugh van Cutsem's wedding in 2005

attended the wedding of Laura Parker Bowles (Lopes) in ?2006

Invited to join Laura PB & The Duchess of Cornwall in the royal suite at the Cheltenham race meeting, shortly before Laura's marriage (can't remember if the Prince of Wales was also there)

I am afraid you have it completely wrong Shaiya. William is going to be King of England, is not that a catch for any social climbing girl, you couldn´t go higher than that.
Kate has nothing to qualify her for the "position" of Queen of England except she looks good in photographs and for some reason so many middle and lower middle-class girls have identified with her. Cinderella all over again. I think that this is all very well in story books but in real life it is almost impossible. I admit it has happened - but so far in Britain it hasn´t.

I'm sorry but just because William will one day be King of England does not mean he can make a good husband or a woman happy!
And what exactly in your mind qualifies someone as a consort? She has been out of the press for ages so who knows what she has been up to? She has never blabbed to the media. And just because she is pictured coming out of nightclubs etc so what? Is she supposed to stop having a life just so the press can't take her photograph?
No commoners have married a monarch in Britain perhaps but the country needs to move with the times. Kate can empathise with those who havn't been born with a silver spoon.

Go on Crm you write to the Queen and tell her what you think. She will be very happy to have your views I am sure.
I have no doubts about Prince William so it is not use asking me if I think he, because he is King, won´t make a good husband or a woman happy..... I am worried about Kate Middleton, for me she is just not the kind of person who would make a good Queen of England, she would probably be a very good wife for someone, just I don´t think she is the right person to be Queen, and unluckily for her, whoever becomes William´s wife will be, God willing, the Queen of England.

Go on Crm you write to the Queen and tell her what you think. She will be very happy to have your views I am sure.
I have no doubts about Prince William so it is not use asking me if I think he, because he is King, won´t make a good husband or a woman happy..... I am worried about Kate Middleton, for me she is just not the kind of person who would make a good Queen of England, she would probably be a very good wife for someone, just I don´t think she is the right person to be Queen, and unluckily for her, whoever becomes William´s wife will be, God willing, the Queen of England.

Menarue I don't understand why I should right to the Queen when I am merely issuing my opinion on a forum! And if you read my post correctly you will see I was the one saying that being a King doesn't constitute being a good husband/catch, not asking you why you though William was a catch.
What I did want to know is why you think Kate could not be Queen. You seem so sure of William and against Kate even though I'm pretty sure you don't know either of them. I'm just curious as to what led you to the opinion that Kate would not make a good Queen

silly stuff

She..............

carries out her "rubbish" (trash)

takes her clothes to a dry cleaner (apparently doesn't use dryel):D

doesn't have her own parking space, has to use street parking (for as much as she or her parents paid for that townhouse or whatever she lives in, that sucks):D

occasionally exercises her citizen's right to have police protection

uses street ATM's

has a tennis racket

I have no doubts about Prince William so it is not use asking me if I think he, because he is King, won´t make a good husband or a woman happy......

Hi Menarue,

I'm afraid that's not what crm said. She said that being King will not guarantee that William can make a woman happy and I think this is very important.

If William is not good husband material himself, he's likely to get a woman who just wants him for his title and that can cause problems whether she is a princess, aristocrat, or a commoner.

I daresay the woman is not going to get much support from the Royal Family themselves so if William's future wife doesn't get support from him either, she's in for a rocky ride, whoever she is. She'd have to be incredibly tough, incredibly ruthless, and incredibly self-centered to survive the lack of support from both her husband and her in-laws and I don't look forward to the Royal Family importing ruthlessness and self-centeredness in their bloodlines.

Now, if William is a decent chap himself, then he and his wife can form a strong bond between the two which can withstand the pressure and lack of support from the Royal Family and pressure from the public and the media.

I don't know about William right now; he has done a couple of jerky things lately but if he's a real jerk to women, then there are going to be problems whether he ends up marrying Kate or someone else.

ysbel

Kate can empathise with those who havn't been born with a silver spoon.
I find that statement highly questionable considering her lifestyle is that of a typical trust fund baby and her social circle is made almost exclusively of William's upper-class friends.

I find that statement highly questionable considering her lifestyle is that of a typical trust fund baby and her social circle is made almost exclusively of William's upper-class friends.

These are only the activities Kate gets photographed doing. Who knows what she does in her spare time. I am a student who enjoys nights out with my friends as she does. She met people though her boyfriend who are wealthy. As far as I am aware she was not born a wealthy individual. If I met a wealthy man and grew to know his friends does this make me a trust fund baby because I spend time with them and enjoy a night out?

People tend to forget that Cinderella was not a pauper born but an aristocrat who lost her social position through fate (aka evil stepmother) and was restored there by her prince.

Catherine Middleton is much more in a position like queen Silvia of Sweden was. Middleclass background, a bit of money, a good education but no job leading up to a real career but rather temporary employment when she met her prince. Silvia was personal assistent of the head of the VIP-department at Munich 1972 Olympic Games. It was clear that this was just a temporary job which included caring as an elevated hostess to the VIP-guests.

If you consider that the Swedish law for Royals was much tougher than the British law when it came to marriage (only the king could choose a non-equal wife on keeping his position) and that Silvia still ended up queen, it is absolutely clear that the same thing can happen much easier in the UK.

She..............

carries out her "rubbish" (trash)

takes her clothes to a dry cleaner (apparently doesn't use dryel):D

doesn't have her own parking space, has to use street parking (for as much as she or her parents paid for that townhouse or whatever she lives in, that sucks):D

occasionally exercises her citizen's right to have police protection

uses street ATM's

has a tennis racket

gave Prince William a copy of her home key

went to dublin, Ireland with her mother

dined at La Bouchee restaurant with her family

Dined @ the Bluebird restaurant with both Prince William and her family on the night of the Time to Reflect party that she organized.

wore a Philip Treacy beret to Cheltenham races, with a Katherine Hooker jacket and a pashmina wrap, plus her Chanel sunnies, and her favorite accessory (boots)

rides her bike for exercise when she visits her parents in Bucklebury

Favorite nightclubs: Boujis, Mahiki, Mamilanji

Usually leaves nightclubs in a taxi (unless, of course, if she is with William)

Attended the Young Stalin book party with her sister (that book by Simon Sebag Montefiore, Tara PT's brother in law)

Withdrew from the Scion Sisterhood (the charity dragon boat race across the Channel against the Brotherhood) on account of "security issues," or maybe because the Sisterhood's promotional methods were rather embarrassing.:D

She tends to use the self-service at gas stations

can check "been there done that" on Roller Disco (which reminds me of Topher Grace on That 70s Show):lol:

Summer holiday spots: Barbados/Mustique, Ibiza/Formentera, and the Indian Ocean islands of Rodrigues, Mauritius, and maybe Seychelles'

Dressed up as a witch for Halloween

People tend to forget that Cinderella was not a pauper born but an aristocrat who lost her social position through fate (aka evil stepmother) and was restored there by her prince.

Catherine Middleton is much more in a position like queen Silvia of Sweden was. Middleclass background, a bit of money, a good education but no job leading up to a real career but rather temporary employment when she met her prince. Silvia was personal assistent of the head of the VIP-department at Munich 1972 Olympic Games. It was clear that this was just a temporary job which included caring as an elevated hostess to the VIP-guests.

If you consider that the Swedish law for Royals was much tougher than the British law when it came to marriage (only the king could choose a non-equal wife on keeping his position) and that Silvia still ended up queen, it is absolutely clear that the same thing can happen much easier in the UK.

Indeed, there is a first time for everything. Prince Charles broke with tradition by having a second marriage. He is the first heir to the throne to do that, and then also to have for his second wife someone divorced like him. So compared to that, it seems likely enough that William can marry an upper middle class girl, who in fact leads the lifestyle and has the kind of education of an aristocratic Sloane Ranger. I mean, he was allowed to share a home with her during university. That itself was another first for someone in his position. Oh whatever, she's cool, but I still wish it was Jecca not her.

Being a jerk or not being a jerk,William is surrounded and desired by hundreds of young women from royal and aristocratic families.I think I agree with Menarue on that one:when the time comes,we will make a "wise" choice.

These are only the activities Kate gets photographed doing. Who knows what she does in her spare time. I am a student who enjoys nights out with my friends as she does. She met people though her boyfriend who are wealthy. As far as I am aware she was not born a wealthy individual. If I met a wealthy man and grew to know his friends does this make me a trust fund baby because I spend time with them and enjoy a night out?
I wasn't referring to the clubbing. Though now that you brought it up, the places where she goes are unapologetic elitists and scandalously overpriced haunts where the amount of cash the average patron drops on booze in a just couple of hours matches a lot of people rent.

Her parent made their money when she was a young child, afaik. For all intend and purpose, she grew up in a household with means.

By trust-fund lifestyle I mean:
-the very expansive private education
-the fact that her starter flat (which she does not pay for) is in a prime London area (if you know anything about the housing situation in London, especially for young people, you know it's a huge privilege)
-that while she isn't financially independent, she lives a luxurious lifestyle (several luxury holidays a year at $$$$ villas in Mustiques, caribbeans, etc), Audi car, designer clothes (Issa is not Chanel, but dropping £400 on a dress is out of the realm of possible for the average person), etc.
-the fact that there isn't any pressure on her to make it on her own, as evidenced by her all expenses paid idleness after Uni
The list goes on.

She lives a life withdrawn from the financial and material reality of the majority of Briton. So I don't get the 'she's one of us' thing some lower and middle-class people seem to entertain. While her parents are not billionaires, she is still part of the 20% most privileged people in Britain.

It seems to me that her parents are quite happy to wait and fund the waiting so all we can do is wait and see too.
BTW what part of London does she live in?

Apparently you haven't been paying much attention to the press this year. ;)Kate doesn't live in London anymore hence no pictures. Reportedly Pippa now stays in the appartment. Kate moved back to Berkshire early this year.
I read somewhere that the Middletons already bought the London flat as an investment in 2002 - so it was not purchased as a "starter home" for her though it is surely better than what your average 20something lived in after university - but noone ever said Kate was average. :D

She lives in the "royal borough of Kensington and Chelsea," or just "Chelsea". It's on the west end where the Sloaneys tend to live, work, and play.
It has often been said in Daily Mail articles usually by Nicholl that Kate lives "off King's Road" and I remember some pics of her and her mom turning onto Oakley St which is off King's Road (you could see the street sign) so it's just a guess about her living on Oakley St. It happens to be off King's, but my guess could be wrong. Anyway, Idriel, you're right. It's just that sometimes the more wealthy "middle class" in UK are called upper middle class. It might not be politically correct, but I've seen it in use by British people.

Apartments cost a lot these days in London. I saw my old flat (almost a studio) in Cadogan Square for sale a few years back and it was well over £1,000,000 I was astounded. The little Mews house we had not that far away was sold, in my day, for £11,000 and we thought that was a lot for someone to pay.
Most of the places aren´t even freehold. Money doesn´t automatically put you in upper middle class though, but it certainly means you live comfortably.

Kate doesn't live in London anymore hence no pictures.
I read somewhere that the Middletons already bought the London flat as an investment in 2002 - so it was not purchased as a "starter home" for her though
I was aware of both those facts. The fact that the Chelsea flat was the first place where she lived on her own after leaving Uni makes it de facto her starter flat regardless of whether she still occupies it or whether her parents brought it as an investment.
it is surely better than what your average 20something lived in after university
Understatement of the decade.
noone ever said Kate was average. :D
Actually it seems to me it is what was implied by crm2317 and others here and elsewhere.
I remember reading outraged and protective comments during the break such as 'how dare those disgusting trust fund kids who live off daddy's money look down on Kate?'. I thought it was funny, because just how Kate is any different?

It seems to me that her parents are quite happy to wait and fund the waiting so all we can do is wait and see too.
BTW what part of London does she live in?

Off Kings Road. Is this still South Kensington? Or already Chelsea?

Actually it seems to me it is what was implied by crm2317 and others here and elsewhere.

Yes I implied that Kate was normal but I meant as opposed to her boyfriend, potential husband or whatever you want to think of him as.
If they were to marry and become a royal couple she would be better able to empathise with the British people than Prince William. This in my eyes is neither a pro or a con. William was born royal and Kate was not. She hasn't always led a life of privilege.

ACtually, I remember suddenly that the "flat" off King's Road was in fact Kate's second London home after university. There was another one before 2006 that she lived in, and she moved out (at the beginning of 2006) because her parents were afraid for her security (that was the story in the press) after a German tabloid took pictures (in October or November 2005) of the flat that clearly revealed its location. It had a white facade and the pictures showed her and William leaving it in a car, his Audi, with William driving, his bodyguard the front passenger, and her smiling in the backseat.

So now she is not living in London at all? Does she live at her parents' house in Bucklebury then? It would be easier for her to help with the family business, anyway.

First, I'd like to compliment CasiraghiTrio's memory. Your list of fact is wonderful (very spirited and accurate :D).

What to say about Kate??
I don't pitty her. Actually, I would love to have the oportunities she had in life (going to a top class school and Uni, having a good network of friends with influence, which if you think well, could be constructed because of her student and social life - even if there was no Wills -, and having the time to find what you want to do with your life). I'm not being sarcastic, if i were in her shoes, i would probably be the same or a little wilder. What people seem to forget is that those things happened because of her parents hard work.

I just think If I were her I would never ever date a royal, because they seem to live in their own clique and to be spoilt (all of them, though some are very low profile).

As Isana said,
She has an incredible ability to keep her head up and smile no matter what the press throws her way - also rather useful for a royal
, I think Kate has some very good qualities.

I don't think we could define "royal material" for a consort. 30 years ago and more, it would be someone from the aristocracy, at least, but today the only common quality (with very noticeable exceptions, like Spain, Denmark, Norway) is to have loads of money in your family bank account and be a jet setter.

I agree with Kimebear too, it doesn't mather what Kate does
So I guess when Kate is photographed, she is clamoring for the papparazzi spotlight, but when she lays low, she is in royal disgrace?
she is trapped.

I relate her situation a lot with the one from CP Mary. She is never speaks about what happens in her private life, is very discreet. However, there are thousands who hate her just for one blink, and there are those who fancy her way.

The difference is that CP Mary had lived a private life through her 20's, and was unknown to the news. So she could smile for papparazis, or fall while rolle skating, that no one would think she is a social climber.

Ok, I accept the fact that Denmark and Uk have differences when talking about social protocol, it's like Denmark being the laour party and Uk being the Tory.

Don't have the slightest idea if the 2 are together or will be. Might even say that it doesn't look like a happy ending at this time of the game. Just have the impression that Wills is tending to be like the Duke of Edimburgh and has a problem in choosing what he wants (as Harry too, they are not very down to earth and are quite spoilt).

We all have our romantic moments, when we think it's so beautifull the Cinderella story (ok, cinderella was from aristocracy, but she was working as a house keeper!!! What's less glamourous??), maybe it's just it, we need some good "chicklit" story type.

I know some might want to throw rockies at me, but I prefer Kate than Maxima. And the Diana comparison, Give me a break! I never bouth Diana's story, never liked her, but i can understand what she means to british people and they seem to be very different (imo, in a good way).

Sometimes I imagine if the problem isn't the fact that, as said before in the forum, despite the fact that KM is mid class and her family background, there aren't many skeletons in her closet. Because that seems to be, imo (very humbly), why people like CP Mette and Letizia adn dislike CP Mary. We all know their flaws and imperfetions, while the danish cp is like a blank book. There is nothing visible to point at.

Diana has changed the standard for a CP, and it seems that no one will achieve the same pathamar for most of the people.

Just to finalize my enourmos post and so you can understand my point of view:

Fav living Royal: Queen Elizabeth
Fav CP: Mary and Victoria from Sweden
Fav CP: none, just like those who won't be king, sp. Amedeo from Belgium, Nicholas from Greece.
British Royals I like: Sophie Wessex

I wish I could just 'wait around' with Prince William for five years and bide my time. Yes, yes, she has nooo chance... Prince William could have any woman he wanted but he's just settling for Kate and biding his time too - seven years of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom