William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant your actions reflect your personality. Not you are your actions. Why would you repeatedly do something that you do not even like?
She wasn't pulled over, but it was looked at by the police. It's illegal to talk on your phone while driving, with no exceptions to Miss MIddleton.

Poor William! If talking on a cell phone while driving excludes you from being his girlfriend, that leaves out almost everyone I see on the road every day. :rolleyes:

Kate has already proven to be discrete and loyal and, perhaps, those are qualities he is unwilling to cast aside for the unknown.
That was exactly my point and the reason why I think William will stick out with her even if she isn't his great love.
I also agree with the rest of your post, even though you seem to think you are arguing the opposite point? It seems to me we both agree William doesn't have the luxury of looking around for 'True Love' like the rest of us, and has limited prospects.
I meant your actions reflect your personality. Not you are your actions. Why would you repeatedly do something that you do not even like?
She wasn't pulled over, but it was looked at by the police. It's illegal to talk on your phone while driving, with no exceptions to Miss MIddleton.
C'mon! I am not a fan of the girl but this controversy is absurd. Talking on your phone while driving shows carelessness and a momentary lapse in judgment. Hardly enough to draws any kind of conclusion on someone's character. Kate was caught in flagrante of being a human being as we all are at least once a day, no?

Lol. I was arguing the point that you don't have to have fairy tale story book love to love someone. I don't see William as "settling" for Kate if she brings enough positive qualities that he admires to the table. Maybe the simple truth is that they are comfortable with each other and have been for several years. That's not a bad thing in speaking of the long term and many successful marriages are based on this, even those not in the public eye that makes every little thing so much harder.

But doesn't one's activities and what they do, in the way and manner thay handle things show a lot about who they are? I have always learned your actions reflect on you as a whole.

yes correct. the british public get their royal info mainly about the tabloids - pictures, very little text. unfortunately for kate, we have mainly seen stuff like clubbing, vacation, hello-cover with the failed sisterhood project, roller disco or most recently, the hello-cover with pippa - not exactly how people would define "discretion". because of the power of pictures and the resulting gossip, the fact of Kate not speaking - something that should work in favour for her - is basically being neutralized. people see something once or twice, the image sticks and it's almost impossible to get rid of an impression that might be completely wrong, especially if the person involved doesn't comment. pippa now publicly making her way into social circles will even worsen the fun loving social climber image that is in people's minds when thinking of kate.

Let me play devil's advocate: One really wonders why the media on scavenging facebook etc. only find pics of parties? There must be a market for pics showing the "unknown" Kate. Maybe we don't get this article because no such positive pics exist. No Catherine with her best friend's baby, no Catherine with cute little dogs, no Catherine out enjoying a nice walk and talking over the fence with her jolly old neighbor... Normal things. Things people can connect with.

so far we had a serious of claims by the Mail and others that William "does not like" Catherine to be in the media followed by her complete retirement from London, Shopping, Clubs etc. (which is William's world, BTW). Maybe it's true that William does not want to marry her yet, that he put her on the backburner but still she hopes, doing all she can to not worsen her situation through media reports.

Maybe William is even his mother's son on assigning blame to others. Like it's better to berate Catherine for her bad media than to accept that there's a reason for his own bad media. I don't know. But seeing his mother as I do, I wouldn't put it past her son to be a bit of a bully.

I think that the royals are just used to getting their own way. They probably don´t even notice this as they have been like that from the day they were born. It is a bit like the child who had a heart operation and his mother asked him how he felt and he told her that the pain had gone. She was very surprised and said that he had never told her he had a pain and the answer was that he hadn´t known until it had gone.
Sad.

Let me play devil's advocate: One really wonders why the media on scavenging facebook etc. only find pics of parties? There must be a market for pics showing the "unknown" Kate. Maybe we don't get this article because no such positive pics exist. No Catherine with her best friend's baby, no Catherine with cute little dogs, no Catherine out enjoying a nice walk and talking over the fence with her jolly old neighbor... Normal things. Things people can connect with
It's a good point. I think that if Kate marries William there will be endless opportunities to see a more "real" Kate. Like Mary Donaldson, when she was only a royal girlfriend, all you saw was her riding her bike, walking down streets, carrying shopping bags, getting in and out of cars. Sometimes you saw her and Fred at friends' weddings, but again, it was just them leaving the church, getting in and out of the car, so nothing really "real" or substantial that gives you an idea as to character. But now, we see lots of warm and fuzzy things about Princess Mary: motherhood, compassion, generosity.
so far we had a serious of claims by the Mail and others that William "does not like" Catherine to be in the media followed by her complete retirement from London, Shopping, Clubs etc. (which is William's world, BTW). Maybe it's true that William does not want to marry her yet, that he put her on the backburner but still she hopes, doing all she can to not worsen her situation through media reports.

Maybe William is even his mother's son on assigning blame to others. Like it's better to berate Catherine for her bad media than to accept that there's a reason for his own bad media. I don't know. But seeing his mother as I do, I wouldn't put it past her son to be a bit of a bully.
I see Diana as a manipulator. I believe she felt weak and insecure, so she manipulated people to feel powerful, strong, bigger than life. William seems spoiled, as we can expect, but I have not seen evidence of a manipulative character in him. He comes across as being confident in himself, even overly so, to the point of bullheadedness. I feel sure he dominates the relationship with Kate. His way or the highway. He just expects to be the dominant person in any friendship because he always has been. People expect him to set the terms of the relationship. That's the "royal" way, I guess.

Menarue, you alluded to that idea with your post, I think.

These days, the "image" is all-important. But if Kate did speak publicly, she would get torn to shreds about that as well. People seem to either have a good feeling about this young woman, or they don't.

yes correct. the british public get their royal info mainly about the tabloids - pictures, very little text. unfortunately for kate, we have mainly seen stuff like clubbing, vacation, hello-cover with the failed sisterhood project, roller disco or most recently, the hello-cover with pippa - not exactly how people would define "discretion". because of the power of pictures and the resulting gossip, the fact of Kate not speaking - something that should work in favour for her - is basically being neutralized. people see something once or twice, the image sticks and it's almost impossible to get rid of an impression that might be completely wrong, especially if the person involved doesn't comment.

Let me play devil's advocate: One really wonders why the media on scavenging facebook etc. only find pics of parties? There must be a market for pics showing the "unknown" Kate. Maybe we don't get this article because no such positive pics exist. No Catherine with her best friend's baby, no Catherine with cute little dogs, no Catherine out enjoying a nice walk and talking over the fence with her jolly old neighbor... Normal things. Things people can connect with.

Jo, let me play advocate right back at you. I have a Facebook and a MySpace account (even though I'm pushing 40 and my day to day life is usually as dull as dishwater :rolleyes:). The only pictures you will find are of my friends and parties that we have held. I post them so that everyone who attended can enjoy them and relive the fun bits. My friends know what I look like with their babies and with my dogs and doing other normal things. The only things someone who does not know me will see if they look at my photos is that I have a jolly group of friends and that I look like Medusa when I sing karaoke. ;) Definitely both true, but certainly such a small part of me as a whole person.

As far as Kate's "retirement", we haven't really seen any of William in the clubs lately either so perhaps they have retired together for calmer waters.

William's busy doing good things though, and working. Kate's probably filing her nails.

I've never seen a picture of Kate filing her nails. Do you have the link to it?

That was exactly my point and the reason why I think William will stick out with her even if she isn't his great love.

Thats the impression I've always gotten. I think he loves her but isn't in love with her. But he thinks its too late to start all over again; meet the right one and know he can trust them and court for a few years before marrying. Too time consuming! Thats just my opinion. Totally guessing of course.

I very much disagree. PW knos that many of his relatives found their future spouse later than his age now, for example his cousin Peter Phillips, his uncle Edward, even the Duke of Windsor, although he is not a great example. William isn't stuck to Kate anymore, all of the fun went out. They don't have an everlasting relationship.

I very much disagree. PW knos that many of his relatives found their future spouse later than his age now, for example his cousin Peter Phillips, his uncle Edward, even the Duke of Windsor, although he is not a great example. William isn't stuck to Kate anymore, all of the fun went out. They don't have an everlasting relationship.

To counter that he knows that his father found his true love at a young age and then didn't marry her, which lead to all sorts of unhappiness. His paternal grandmother made up her mind at 13 when his paternal grandfather was 18 (I am not suggesting that Philip recipricated that love at 18 but he was committed by 26 - William's current age).

The example of his immediate male ancestors is that by 26 they knew the love of their life - one married her and has been happy, the other didn't and has been through hell and back to get her.

Well. William apparently didn't meet the love of his life at eighteen.

Thats the impression I've always gotten. I think he loves her but isn't in love with her. But he thinks its too late to start all over again; meet the right one and know he can trust them and court for a few years before marrying. Too time consuming! Thats just my opinion. Totally guessing of course.
I never thought about it or put it in words but this is pretty much how I feel about him and Kate also. Maybe it means they will be a good team when married and share a connection that enables them to work well together for the monarchy. I think maybe this is something like what George V and Mary had, but I can't know, obviously, and I have read accounts that suggest they were very deeply in love. Yet they also had a very practical union and deep respect for each other and higher purposes.

I don't think Kate would be very good for the monarchy. that might make the feelings even worse, that could eventually bring it down.

I'm curious. Why exactly do you think she'd be "bad for the monarchy"?:flowers:

I don't think Kate would be very good for the monarchy. that might make the feelings even worse, that could eventually bring it down.

What feelings might those be exactly?

Could you please elaborate why you think that Kate wouldn't be very good for the monarchy?

Just curious.

Personally I don't enough about her to make a judgement. This is what I do know:

She went to a good school and a very good university, where she graduated with a solid degree.
She comes from a solid middle class family.
She enjoys going to parties and getting drunk.
She has a boyfriend.
She doesn't seem to have a full time job outside of her parents' business.

That is the sum total of my knowledge and so I don't think I can make a judgement as there just isn't enough there for me (but I accept that some people can make a judgement on that amount of knowledge).

I would like to add the little that I know to Iluvbertie´s list

She went to a good school and university but she has never used her degree.
Her family is nouveau riche and have just entered the middle class fairly recently.
She enjoys parties and getting drunk.
She has a boyfriend.
She doesn´t seem to have a full time job outside her parents´business so can have a great many holidays in expensive places.
She wears Issy often
She seems to wait about a lot.
Her brother and sister like to take advantage of the fame their sister´s boyfriend has given her.
She doesn´t fall over very gracefully.
She looks good in hats, which is an enormous asset if you want to be royal.
She has a very good figure.
She loves boots.
She seems to giggle a lot.
She is 27?
She has been invited to important social occasions because of her boyfriend.
Her mother made the social solecism of chewing gum at at Sandhurst with the Queen present
She is credited with taking photographs for her family´s on line party pieces business.
She complained of pap harassment which brought back memories of Princess Diana.

That is all I can think of the moment. If anyone can add to the list I would be interested, but only things we actually know about her.

Which 20-something doesn't? ;) To be fair one should add that she isn't out and about often though (see below).

Her family is nouveau riche and have just entered the middle class fairly recently.

I am not sure whether this is true. It may be right for Carole but Kate's father from what I read comes from a very well established middleclass family with quite some influence in the Leeds area.

Her brother and sister like to take advantage of the fame their sister´s boyfriend has given her.
I guess this one is debatable unless you count going to society parties as "taking advantage" of fame - though I am not sure what that "advantage" would be. Both Pippa and James have been raked over the coals by the British press so I guess they paid their price.

That's hilarious! I'd love to see someone fall gracefully! :D

Maybe we could add

She was hardly seen out and about this year and has not been pictured for over a month now.

She seems to be very close to her family members.

She has an incredible ability to keep her head up and smile no matter what the press throws her way - also rather useful for a royal, I guess.

I guess this one is debatable unless you count going to society parties as "taking advantage" of fame - though I am not sure what that "advantage" would be. Both Pippa and James have been raked over the coals by the British press so I guess they paid their price.

I suppose the advantage is the cachet from being Kate's sibling. It can get you in somewhere. But I agree with you, there is nothing unusual about this because most people in the metropolitan culture use some kind of cachet to "go places." If anyone is going to "call" Pippa and James on "taking advantage" of a connection, such person ought to take a look closer to home, not only at the self, but at the people around the self. Everyone might not play the networking game, but if you live in a metropolitan place, you would be hard pressed to find someone who does not do it to some extent. "My cousin knows someone who can get you in the door at such and such company," or "My friend can help us get passes to this very exclusive club," I mean who does not do this ever in their lives?

The thing is, with people in shoes like Pippa's or James', sometimes it is the club owners, the PR people who go out and market these kinds of people, connected to famous people, and of course Pippa and James, like others in similar positions, would be tempted. I mean, who would not be tempted to play the game? They are young and want to be social and have a good time. I don't see any crime in that.

She went to a good school and university but she has never used her degree.
She has a boyfriend.
She doesn´t seem to have a full time job outside her parents´business so can have a great many holidays in expensive places.
She wears Issy often
She seems to wait about a lot.
She looks good in hats, which is an enormous asset if you want to be royal.
She has a very good figure.
She loves boots.
She seems to giggle a lot.
She is 27?
She has been invited to important social occasions because of her boyfriend.
Her mother made the social solecism of chewing gum at at Sandhurst with the Queen present
She is credited with taking photographs for her family´s on line party pieces business.
She complained of pap harassment which brought back memories of Princess Diana.

Her first car in London was a navy blue Volkswagen Golf.
Now she drives an (white?) Audi (A4?) that the media claimed she bought at a discount.
She is supposed to be among the "Neo Sloane" crowd.
It has often been reported she lives off King's Road, probably in Oakley St, in Chelsea. She likes to shop in King's Road.
She is reportedly the one who convinced William to stay in St Andrews and change his major.
She played field hockey at Marlborough College.
The Topshop dress she wore on her 2007 birthday sold out.
She likes to attend the Cheltenham race meetings.
She also attends the annual Boodles Boxing Ball.
She has been to at least 3 different Swiss skiing resorts (Klosters, Zermatt, and Verbier) and goes at least once a year, usually in April. People say she is "always on holiday" but it seems to me an exageration: a skiing holiday and summer seaside holidays are not unusual, especially for her social crowd.
She likes to fly on EasyJet.
She had a lesson in stalking deer at Balmoral.
She watched the Knights of the garter leave St George's Chapel, Windsor from the royal tent.
She attended Peter Phillips' marriage to Autumn Kelly where she laughed a lot with Prince Harry and Chelsy Davy. It was suggested in the press that she was William's proxy.
She attended Lady Rose Gilman's wedding.
She is said to have attended the celebrations for the Prince of Wales turning 60 though, unlike Chelsy, was not photographed arriving or leaving.
She occasionally rides the bus in London. A pic of her riding the bus in 2005 compelled her father to seek legal advice, and in 2007 (during the "breakup") she was photographed waiting for a bus.
Her supposed resume: Part-time gig at Jigsaw for one? year; helps her parents' business on an as-needed? basis (photographer of products, supposedly)
Interests: Maybe art history since that is what her degree is in, photography, and we have seen at least two evidences that she loves Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (her Sandhurst outfit, and also it was the subject of her dissertation).

That's all I can do for now, guys. This is fun and interesting idea, thanks to Iluvbertie and MEnarue.

She spoke on her cell phone whilst driving at least once.
Her backyard is used for airforce training.
She refused an invitation to have Christmas with the Queen (???)
She modeled underwear at University
She carries heavy boxes for her parents wearing high heeled shoes.

She got a parking ticket by her house in London at least once, and literally grinned and bore it.
She shops at Marks and Spencer.
She buys her groceries at Tesco.
She likes Miss Sixty jeans. (her $200 jeans):D
In March 2007, the Daily Mail painted her as "freebie Kate" with her gifted bags from Burberry & Melissa del Bono, and of course the infamous "discount Audi."
She also likes bags from Longchamps, Michael Kors, and Meli Melo
She favors her pair of Chanel sunglasses.
In 2004, she modeled for Really Wild Things @ the game fair @ Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire. She wore their clothes in a shoot with the palace as the backdrop.
The Daily Mirror paid for a story from a former employer of Kate: he said she worked for him as a "barmaid" for one summer during her university years.
Her parents' legal representatives are the firm Harbottle & Lewis, who apparently also represent the Wales family. The family lawyers have filed many complaints with the Press Complaints Commission about Kate being "harassed."
The media tries often to turn Kate into a real "Fashion icon," always putting her name in Best-dressed lists. But some fashion writers strongly disagree with the notion that she is a "fashion icon." One such person is Suzy Menkes, who says Kate certainly has "potential," but still has a long way to go before reaching true iconic heights.
It has been suggested by snarky people that Kate leaches off William's social circle to constitute her own set.
The friendship between the Robinsons (who own Jigsaw) and the Middletons was exagerated. Belle Robinson told the Evening Standard that she hardly knew Kate before she started working at Jigsaw. Mrs Robinson also said Kate wanted a job that would not interfere with her "high profile" romantic relationship, an interesting suggestion that Kate intends to work her jobs around the relationship rather than the more normal reverse.:lol:
We can say for certain: Kate is very privileged!!!! She can work when she can make time away from her boyfriend! Don't most people "make time for the boyfriend" when they don't have to work?!! This girl's life cracks me up. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think Kate brings anything to William's plate except press and party outings. She is not inspiring imo. She went to University, but what has she done since except gain noteriety as the girl waiting for William and for the past year, negative press.

I have always had a bad vibe on Kate and her mother. :eek:
As far as William not being able to break up with her, of course he can, ask Prince Fred of Denmark, ask Pr. Felipe, ask Pr. Carl of Sweden, he just dumped his girlfriend of nine years. I have never felt that Kate would make it to the alter with William. Despite the press pushing , I have never believed he would marry her.

Who knows if she is still a serious girlfriend they have not been spotted anywhere together since that summer wedding in Austria. The Charles birthday stories are stories without proof, even if she did go, it indicates she is his girlfriend or is still good friends with her, but not much else really.

It's odd we saw photos of Chelsy arriving at Clarence House the night of one of, Charles parties but not one sign of Kate since the Day Glo Roller Disco outing and the traffic phone photo.

So I guess when Kate is photographed, she is clamoring for the papparazzi spotlight, but when she lays low, she is in royal disgrace?

Have I missed anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom