William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my mom always said that you expect couples in love to at least look at each other once in awhile even if they're both shy.

Mom was struck at the engagement interviews of Charles and Diana by how little Diana actually looked at Charles whereas he was looking at her a lot. During the wedding she didn't seem to look at him a lot either and one of her biggest most radiant smiles came when she was halfway down the aisle and Mom said, she's still not looking at him, she's looking at the congregation.

I don't know how much William and Kate look at each other in public but if they can't do that, I'd be worried about them. It's natural for couples to steal little looks at each other even when they are in public.

I thought I was the only one who noticed those things about Diana and Charles during the early days - from engagement to marriage.

To me she didn't seem like someone in love with the man by her side at all. He seemed far more taken with her than she was with him.

Then I saw a lot of sadness in his eyes on his wedding day - I suspect because he realised that she was in love with his position and title rather than with the man who held them whereas she was all smiley because she believed she had secured the fairytale catch that her step-grandmother wrote about all the time - you know how they live happily ever after after the wedding.

If you read Ingrid Seward´s book "The Queen & Di" she says that Prince Charles was very worried by Diana´s behaviour, she had been very erratic and he was very puzzled by her and her mood swings. She was almost calling everything off then the next moment she was all smiles.

Here are a couple of news articles that include pictures of the pair looking at each other:

Pop Sugar
The Telegraph (second photo in slideshow)
And even the Daily Mail! (The second photo is especially good, I think.)

And this one isn't the two looking at each other, but I'd say there's a great deal of affection in the included photo: Faded Youth Blog: A Royal Ceremony

I think their lack of overt public displays of affection really is a symptom of William's apparent reserve and his obvious disdain for being photographed while not on "company time," as it were.

Am I the only one who thought it was Diana who kept looking at Charles throughout the wedding..anyways not the point, very good eye Ella Kay those are great pictures of the couple looking at each other.

If you have digital TV, then you can get SKY news, you do not need a freeview box. As Analog has already been switched off in many places, by the time of an engagement interview (if there is one), digital will rule and Sky will be in the running. After all, I don't think the beeb has been fully forgiven for the secret interview it did air!:flowers:
I'd forgotten about the switchover and the possible effect it might have.

I do hope they don't do any interviews with Sky though, it's such poor quality journalism.

will todays announcement that William is to train for 18months with the RAF rescue service and then serve with that division for up to 3 years have an impact on an engagement?

It certainly seems to make the possiblity of any sort of wedding in the near future obsolete.

It certainly seems to make the possiblity of any sort of wedding in the near future obsolete.
Why? He just needs time to be measured for whatever uniform he will wear at the wedding and time off for the honeymoon.

Well there would be a lot of preparation for any sort of ceremony, public announcements would need to be made etc.

His wedding will probably be quite large, whenever it happens and events like that take a certain degree of planning. Moreover, practically speaking I think it highly unlikely he would get married and then disappear for his RAF duties.

It shows that William is not anywhere near a committment yet. I wonder if Kate will / wants to survive another couple of years as Waity Katie, dangling along between parties and part time jobs. I get more and more the feeling that William is either not interested in or scared off getting married and that he has the potential to become the next Prince Albert (hopefully without some kids along the way), remaining a bachelor until his late fourties or even fifties. He's probably still disgusted by that fake sugary and romantic image that surrounded the marriage of his parents and has decided to avoid such a scenario for himself.

It shows that William is not anywhere near a committment yet. I wonder if Kate will / wants to survive another couple of years as Waity Katie, dangling along between parties and part time jobs. I get more and more the feeling that William is either not interested in or scared off getting married and that he has the potential to become the next Prince Albert (hopefully without some kids along the way), remaining a bachelor until his late fourties or even fifties. He's probably still disgusted by that fake sugary and romantic image that surrounded the marriage of his parents and has decided to avoid such a scenario for himself.

I don't know. Here in Germany the SAR-pilots are stationedat their base and do their shifts while apart from that have their family life. None of the SAR-pilots have to remain a bachelor and they don't have to live at their base but could have a normal house, normal family and normal life scheme with leisure times as well as duty times. Why should Catherine not marry William and go on to live with hime in a house close to his base? Princess Elizabeth did that as well when her husband was stationed on Malta. So there could be a Royal wedding in the not so far future, but afterwards the young couple don't embark on a couple of trips as the young Royal superstars but retire to an AIr Force base as a young officer and his wife. Okay, protected by extra security but still a young flight officer and his wife. Plus dog and cats and sometime in the future kids. :flowers:

I don't know. Here in Germany the SAR-pilots are stationedat their base and do their shifts while apart from that have their family life. None of the SAR-pilots have to remain a bachelor and they don't have to live at their base but could have a normal house, normal family and normal life scheme with leisure times as well as duty times. Why should Catherine not marry William and go on to live with him in a house close to his base? :flowers:
It is the same here, SAR personnel are at certain bases, with a variety of houses available to any married couples, many now within the confines/security of the actual base, as opposed to just outside. They could of course get a high security hireing anywhere within a reasonable distance of the base. :flowers: Serving in any of the arms of the services does not stop anyone getting married. He at least, will not be flying into any conflict zones, well at the moment.

I think that spending their early marriage on/near a military base would be a good idea. There wouldn't be photographers allowed close to their home in that case, and they could have a reasonably private life. Some people won't like the lack of paparazzi photos, but there would still be photos available of them on official engagements.:)

IWhy should Catherine not marry William and go on to live with hime in a house close to his base? Princess Elizabeth did that as well when her husband was stationed on Malta. So there could be a Royal wedding in the not so far future, but afterwards the young couple don't embark on a couple of trips as the young Royal superstars but retire to an AIr Force base as a young officer and his wife. Okay, protected by extra security but still a young flight officer and his wife. Plus dog and cats and sometime in the future kids. :flowers:

In theory it sounds like a good idea but I doubt it would be working. It's almost 2009 and not 1949 any longer. As soons as William gets married, people and the media want to have their "grip" on the couple, performing duties, producing babies. There is no way William gets married and lives for the next years as Officer Wales in a barack, with his wife by his side, leading the life of an army wife. Sorry, it sounds romantic but I don't think it's feasible. If this was Harry's choice, no problem, but not William. He is the one who should put an emphasis on duty, at least as soons as he gets married. Other than that I think it's a good decision to do something more "in depth" rather than the recent "pro-forma-stints".

I have to agree with Duke - the scenario sounds good only in theory. Which means that William is not ready to settle down yet. Which means Catherine has some really unpleasant times ahead, even if it is not her fault at all.

Well, I don't want any of them to feel rushed so if we have to wait another year then I suppose that's ok.

He'll be doing his duty. What could be more patriotic than rescuing his countrymen-and-women who are in danger of losing their lives? This is dangerous work. While Prince Charles is still heir to the throne, William isn't and so doesn't need to assume those responsibilities before his time.

In theory it sounds like a good idea but I doubt it would be working. It's almost 2009 and not 1949 any longer. As soons as William gets married, people and the media want to have their "grip" on the couple, performing duties, producing babies. There is no way William gets married and lives for the next years as Officer Wales in a barack, with his wife by his side, leading the life of an army wife. Sorry, it sounds romantic but I don't think it's feasible. If this was Harry's choice, no problem, but not William. He is the one who should put an emphasis on duty, at least as soons as he gets married. Other than that I think it's a good decision to do something more "in depth" rather than the recent "pro-forma-stints".

This announcement to me says loud and clear that William isn't committed to marriage at this stage.

Like his father before him, I think he will complete his commitment to the military (another 5 years if my Maths is correct - 18 months training plus 3- 3.5 years service = 4.5 to 5 years) before getting married.

As others have said once married the press will be wanting photos and the public will want to see the young couple doing duties together.

All of the above is my opinion of course with no inside knowledge or ideas at all.

or he may surprise everyone and marry Kate before hes out of the Service. JMHO

^Me too to be honest with you, I just get this feeling one day I'll wake up be having a bad day or w/e go online and boom there will be the announcement, I have this gut feeling that it's going to be well hidden.

Exactly. Everything will go all quiet on the Wills and Kate front, and then "BANG"!:flowers:

^Me too to be honest with you, I just get this feeling one day I'll wake up be having a bad day or w/e go online and boom there will be the announcement, I have this gut feeling that it's going to be well hidden.

I know Charles tried to keep it pretty well hidden but these 2 seem to be alot better at keeping things hidden compared to Charles and Diana. I'm sure I'll scream out of joy if it happens while I'm at school hah the teachers will think I've lost it haha I don't know why but the one question I have in the back of my mind is will it have the same hoopla his parents wedding did.

I know Charles tried to keep it pretty well hidden but these 2 seem to be alot better at keeping things hidden compared to Charles and Diana. I'm sure I'll scream out of joy if it happens while I'm at school hah the teachers will think I've lost it haha I don't know why but the one question I have in the back of my mind is will it have the same hoopla his parents wedding did.

I don't think it will have the same hoopla if the present Queen is alive as William is only the 2nd in line.

I also think that the RF don't want those sorts of big weddings again seeing as how those of Charles, Andrew and Anne all failed.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got married at St George's rather than in London (I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised).

It certainly won't have any of that false 'fairytale' mush.

I don't think the fact past marriages have failed would have anything to do with them not wanting such a big wedding, actually I feel William would be more of the one saying no I want a private wedding rather then anyone else. I don't know but didn't Andrew and Fergie too have a pretty large wedding, seemed like a very exciting atmosphere from what I've seen even though he wasn't heir to the throne, so I don't see why William's wouldn't have the same hoopla but I wonder more if the public will how can I describe this cling onto William and Kate (if she's the one he marries) the way they did with Charles and Diana as a couple. I think the fact the public felt sorta attached to Charles and Diana is why they got that sort of reaction from the public. Again I wasn't born in the 80's , I didn't eperience any of it all I can say is from what I've seen and heard so forgive me if I'm mistaken in anything I've just said.

I think they're going to have to be a bit careful here, though, because I'm sure they don't want it to look as though Kate's getting second-tier treatment because of her middle-class origins.

My sense here is that the announcement in relation to William's future career within the SAR does not in any way indicate that Will is not ready to commit to Kate as yet. I do think it is perfectly possible for them to marry in due course (and certainly within the time frame of Will's involvement with the SAR) and lead a semi-private life for the inital few years. They would still do a few engagements a year, and Kate could take on certain charity roles, but they would certainly not be "full time" working royals like Charles & Camilla are. In time, Kate could be seen supporting the Queen and perhaps Camilla carry out their engagements. They may or may not choose to live on the base Wills is stationed at - that is a decision that will be taken on the basis of the housing stock and security constraints at the relevat SAR base.

As regards the size, scale and location of Williams potential wedding, I think it will be a large wedding, with all the appropriate foreign guests etc. However, I think it is likely to be at St George's rather than London, and if it has to be London, it will be at Westminister Abbey. I don't think St Pauls will be in the running at all, as there would be too many comparisons to the wedding of Charles & Diana. St George's and Windsor are large enough to accomodate the wedding and reception.

I think they're going to have to be a bit careful here, though, because I'm sure they don't want it to look as though Kate's getting second-tier treatment because of her middle-class origins.

Elspeth - I this day and age, do you really think most people in the UK are worried about Kate's "middle class" origins?

This announcement to me says loud and clear that William isn't committed to marriage at this stage.

Like his father before him, I think he will complete his commitment to the military (another 5 years if my Maths is correct - 18 months training plus 3- 3.5 years service = 4.5 to 5 years) before getting married.

As others have said once married the press will be wanting photos and the public will want to see the young couple doing duties together.

All of the above is my opinion of course with no inside knowledge or ideas at all.
Unfortunately, as they will be well aware, Catherines' biological time bomb is ticking. In another 5 years any pregnancy will be prone to many more problems, including conceiving in the first place.

I think the fact the public felt sorta attached to Charles and Diana is why they got that sort of reaction from the public. Again I wasn't born in the 80's , I didn't eperience any of it all I can say is from what I've seen and heard so forgive me if I'm mistaken in anything I've just said.
Most people were I think 'attached' because they had waited for many years to see who their Prince married. The reaction would have been the same no matter who he chose as his bride. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom