William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
......but I don't have nearly as many holidays as Miss Middleton!Honestly, writing is hard work. You are chained to your computer fo rmany hours every day, which is why this forum is such bliss for me because I can dip in and out, when I need/have a break!

That is not my own working experience I'm afraid to say and I'm a pro writer as well. Of course I experience the "not I but "It" writes"-hours and I do resemble an CEO when it comes to spending time in the office when the deadline is tough, but there are soooo many days where I just lounge in the sun, go sailing, enjoy a day trip to the mountains or a weekend abroard. Thus I can easily connect to the way Catherine is presented in the public for her "working ethics" because I know from first hand experience that you can appear to be a lazy holidayer when in fact you are hard-working, just on your own time-schedule.

Fair point. But what DOES she do with her time then? Does she have a job and is she keeping it a secret? Hats off to Kate if she is working somewhere and has managed to keep it out of the spotlight. I am rather frumpy and middleaged myself these days, but when I was Kate's age, my social calendar was far busier than the one you have posted.

Well the point being that she is not nearly the clubbing party animal that some would make her out to be. As for the rest of her time, maybe she studies at home or telecommutes with a job that she has successfully kept quiet, or works for the family business earning her vacation and clubbing money. As Warren rightfully pointed out, she doesn't have to tell us what she does with the rest of her time. Until an announcement is made, it really is none of anyone's business.

No obligation, whatsoever, I agree. But will we, the public, be content with that? Is kate Middleton not already one of our 24/7-celebrities we are dying to know all about? I,however, disagree on the work issue. Helping out mum and dad is not really the same as having a proper job,IMO.Perhaps Kate should do some charity work? Take up a cause, I know she did with the rowing, but that was an unfortunate choice IMO, and use her high profile to do some good?

My first job was "helping out mum and dad". My father was a much hard taskmaster than any of my later bosses ever were. Most parents who own a business make their children work even harder than their other employees. As for charity work, the minute she does anything like that it will be seen as a PR move. Besides which, who would want to be the charity associated with her if she falls out of favor with the RF?

No obligation, whatsoever, I agree. But will we, the public, be content with that? I

Why should that matter to a young lady? A young lady who, if she loves her boyfriend and he loves her, will be the next future queen, as he has to marry her one day. If I knew my boyfriend loved me and I love him and we have plans to spend our life together, I would, on knowing how this life will turn out to be because of who he is - make merry, enjoy my holidays and explore my artistic abilities as long as I can. And once I'M the public's victim, I'd do what I have to do but am able to look back at the times when I was an unmarried private citizen. And honestly, you'd do the same, I guess!

Besides which, who would want to be the charity associated with her if she falls out of favor with the RF?

Those words Kimebear sum it all up for me. I can´t help thinking what will happen if she doesn´t marry William, in fact I think she should have seen some signs some time back but of course, I may be wrong. She could always carry on the family business.

Exactly, Al_bina! Kate could have a halo and some would still question her motives.:)

At this point, doing some charity work is highly likely to look like and be perceived as a PR campaign to please the public (in my personal opinion).

Yesterday I received my e-newsletter from Darren McGrady who was Princess Diana's former chef (you can sign up for it on his website). There was a little blurb in it that he predicts the announcement of the engagement will be in 2 months or less. He is freshly back in Texas after taking a group to London for a tour of his royal culinary duties so he might have some "inside" info. He isn't the kind of person that mentions the current private lives of the princes.

I'm guessing that -- if a summer '09 wedding should be in the works -- we will be finding out in the next few months. It would fit with the nine/ten month engagements we've been seeing in the Windsor family lately. I'm sure a longer engagement, where Kate can be protected by royal security and eased into the daily life and work of a royal princess, would be a good thing. And it would give everyone lots of time to plan that wedding. ;)

Absolutely not. Having been a homemaker myself for 10 years, I know exactly how fulfilling it is to raise your children and look after your family. There is no better feeling that tucking a happy, tired child up in bed at night after a long day. What I am saying, however, is that someone in Kate's position could do with the confidence and selfesteem you gain from facing the challenges of a work life and dealing with them. Yes, she has a degree, but university life is still a sheltered existence. Showing up at a royal palace without that kind of "make up" you get from interacting with other people in sometimes stressfull situations and from solving problems, while multitasking, is in MY opinion not the best start for a princess. For Kate's sake - and for William's - she could find a job and stick with it for at least a year. It will do her a lot of good. and make her a better princess if and when the time comes!

so right about tucking the happy child in bed at night :). but i have to disagree about a job providing self esteem and confidence. those qualities are instilled in person from the moment they are born...how they are raised and the lessons their parents teach them from a very young age. however, i will say that since we know nothing about catherine's personality we can't say whether or not she has or lacks these things. hoping not to get this thread off track.....diana had virually neither of these qualities...or so she said...and she made a fabulous princess.

No obligation, whatsoever, I agree. But will we, the public, be content with that? Is kate Middleton not already one of our 24/7-celebrities we are dying to know all about? I,however, disagree on the work issue. Helping out mum and dad is not really the same as having a proper job,IMO.Perhaps Kate should do some charity work? Take up a cause, I know she did with the rowing, but that was an unfortunate choice IMO, and use her high profile to do some good?

Some of the public, like me, couldn't care less what a royal girlfriend does. Until the ring is on her finger and an engagment is announced, anything can happen. If William were dating someone for whom the press brought up a behavior or a past that was really objectionable, then he shouldn't be going out with her whether or not he plans to marry her.

But its puzzling how people make speculations based on no news and that doesn't apply to just Kate but to any newsstory that runs on legs of its own with no real news. If an engagment comes, BP will have to make a presentation package of her and the public will be able to see whether or not the presentation package is all its cracked up to be. At that time, BP will be forced to show their cards so to speak and the public evaluation of Kate will be unavoidable. That's the time to judge.

In a perfect world, it would happen the way you describe it, but ours is far from perfect, isn't it? You also have to remember that BP spins too. They are only going to tell us, what they think we should know about Kate. I am sure they can find a way to gloss over her empty calendar - if indeed it is empty.

so right about tucking the happy child in bed at night :). but i have to disagree about a job providing self esteem and confidence. those qualities are instilled in person from the moment they are born...how they are raised and the lessons their parents teach them from a very young age. however, i will say that since we know nothing about catherine's personality we can't say whether or not she has or lacks these things. hoping not to get this thread off track.....diana had virually neither of these qualities...or so she said...and she made a fabulous princess.

Oh, I agree. Diana was fabulous! Danish Crown Princess Mary and any other European Crown Princess for that matter could learn a thing or two from her.I understand Kate comes from a really lovely, close family and I am sure they have provided her with good values.I still believe some work experience would be beneficial for Kate, but maybe she is actually working and just keeping it to herself. You are right, we know next to nothing about Kate's personality. but we DO know that William has chosen her - at least to be his girlfriend - and that,IMO, speaks volumes. I happen to think that despite all the turmoil, Diana and Charles managed to raise a smart, grounded boy, who has got his head screwed on properly.

In a perfect world, it would happen the way you describe it, but ours is far from perfect, isn't it? You also have to remember that BP spins too. They are only going to tell us, what they think we should know about Kate. I am sure they can find a way to gloss over her empty calendar - if indeed it is empty.

Oh I'm sure they can but they could hardly get away with it without some criticism. My point was until they actually present Kate as the ONE, we don't have their presentation of facts to evaluate. Neither BP nor Kate is giving us their side of the story yet so a lot of speculation is happening in a vacuum. As far as we know, she may not eventually be the one.

That's very true and we are jumping to conclusions here. Maybe there is still doubt. I know it took the Danish Crown Prince Frederik a lot longer than his bride-to-be was happy about, to get down on his knee. I am sure Prince William will do the right thing.

I was just thinking the other day how hilarious it would be if Prince William presented someone other than Ms Middleton as his bride-to-be next week. The British media has done everything except choose a honeymoon locale for these two...based on what exactly?? She has shown up at a succession of family events looking snazzy in some nice outfits?

Has William even hinted to anyone that he is ready to marry??

I don't think he's ever said anything about the subject besides the "not until I'm 28 or 30" remark from several years ago.

Of course he is going to marry her - according to one of those lovely women's magazines here in Australia this week - she has been having 'Queen' lessons because she is the 'one'.;)

I hope that when he does annouce his fiancee that he chooses a partner who will be a partner and a companion with whom he will always be completely comfortable and who doesn't have emotional needs and problems that will destroy the marriage and that he is truly choosing the woman he loves rather than the one people say is the 'right' one.

He's known Kate for a few years now and shared accommodation with her in university. :flowers:

I hope that when he does annouce his fiancee that he chooses a partner who will be a partner and a companion with whom he will always be completely comfortable and who doesn't have emotional needs and problems that will destroy the marriage and that he is truly choosing the woman he loves rather than the one people say is the 'right' one.

He's known Kate for a few years now and shared accommodation with her in university. :flowers:

I know he shared accomodation with her etc but I am really saying I hope that they really want to be together for each other and that neither of them has any problems, expectations of the other that can't be realised.

I think we all want that for William. After 5 years though, they have as much of an understanding about each other as most when they marry following a fairly lengthy relationship.

Of course he is going to marry her - according to one of those lovely women's magazines here in Australia this week - she has been having 'Queen' lessons because she is the 'one'.;)

AMEN to that...you have pretty much said it all!

I think Kate is endanger of getting osme really really bad PR by not working, i know we all keep going on about it, but at the end of the day Kate is 26 and had not had a proper job, given that the RF, like many others, try to be as "in touch" as possible this is truly a bad thing. How many other women her age dont work or havent had a job at some time or another?
I understand that there ma be issues with Kate working in a company, such as the Wessex Fake Shiekl affair etc but why cant Kate work for a charity or similar organistion? She has a good degree and is, it seems, a bright girl. Clearly she doesnt need a wage, so she could work for a charity with little problem about money.
I think the days of the British people accepting a Queen who has no snese of what having a real, normal, job is like, are over.

I'm probably the only one who thinks working for her parents is normal, I mean I do it (during the summer) but still, I mean if I want I can work for them or I can go find another job but to me if she works for her parents it's no big deal. Anyways back to William propsoing if he feels the time is right then he will do it. All I want and all I think we all want is for him to be happy I don`t want to see another Diana and Charles saga in a few years.

I really feel that Kate´s trouble is that she wants to be free to do whatever William wants, go on holidays, go to parties etc etc and a job would interfere with this. In fact, I think she is trying really hard to get him and in the end it might go against it.
At the beginning of their courtship I felt that everyone was pleased but it is this Kate in waiting image that is beginning to annoy people. She did have a job for a short time but with the understanding that she could go off with William whenever she wanted to and the other staff were a bit put out. I can´t give any details of where it was as I have completely forgotten but I do remember reading this, probably in a tabloid so it may not be true and then more recently there was the story of her wanting a job as a photographer but with the time off when she needed it.
She is a very pretty girl, she is Prince William´s girlfriend, but so far she hasn´t shown herself to be the right stuff for a future Queen of England or at least I don´t think she has.

What is the 'right' stuff for a future Queen?

To me the 'right' stuff is being in love with the person who will be King and not in love with the position. Having that person love you in return.

Being accepting of the fact that duty comes first and realising that your position upon marriage means a lifetime of public scrutiiny and public duty with really no actions off limits to the press and the public.

I have seen no evidence that Kate doesn't have the 'right' stuff.

I'm probably the only one who thinks working for her parents is normal, I mean I do it (during the summer) but still, I mean if I want I can work for them or I can go find another job but to me if she works for her parents it's no big deal.

I'm with you on this one. I think it's actually quite a good move on her part. If her parents are helping to support her current lifestyle, it's a good thing for her to help out by working at Party Pieces and pay them back even a little bit.

i think it's wonderful that you work for your parents. i can't for the life of me see what the problem would be with it.

Isn't "working for your parents" the same as "working in the family business"? In a sense, William's doing the same thing.:)

i think it's wonderful that you work for your parents. i can't for the life of me see what the problem would be with it.

Isn't "working for your parents" the same as "working in the family business"? In a sense, William's doing the same thing.:)

It really is sort of the same ... I've thought before that Kate's devotion to her family is probably one of the attractions for Prince William. Maybe working for her family is a good segue to eventually working for the family? :D

I really feel that Kate´s trouble is that she wants to be free to do whatever William wants, go on holidays, go to parties etc etc and a job would interfere with this.
And you know this how?????

What is the 'right' stuff for a future Queen?

To me the 'right' stuff is being in love with the person who will be King and not in love with the position. Having that person love you in return.

Being accepting of the fact that duty comes first and realising that your position upon marriage means a lifetime of public scrutiiny and public duty with really no actions off limits to the press and the public.

I have seen no evidence that Kate doesn't have the 'right' stuff.
Absolutely correct. And the Kate haters who while up on their high horses repeatedly foment this no-job/"right stuff" drivel, if Kate went out tomorrow and got a full-time job (working for her parents notwithstanding) and began to work for a charity, those same "right stuff" moaners would crucify her. It's not about Kate not working or Kate living off of her parents, it's ALWAYS been about Kate, ordinary, middle-class, any-girl, non-aristo, non-titled, non-surname hyphenated, non-blond, non-buxom Briton, who snared a prince on her personality and looks alone while at school with thousands of other young girls, all who I'm sure mercilessly threw themselves at William, to no avail, and some people will NEVER get over a real life fairytale of Kate now interacting with upper British society, moving behind palace gates, and one day walking beside William as he opens Parliament.

Jealousy, snobbery, and caste are very much alive. THOSE are Kate's only "problems."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom