What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh stop with the feminist crap, this isn't about having ovaries this is about her work. It was stated that nothing Kate has done has shown that she isn't interested in work and I pointed out that everything she has done since university has shown she has no initiative in life when it comes to working. I am one of the people who gave Kate a pass for her past work history until she showed the same lack of work ethic after she got married. Her history shows that she will do as little work that she can get away with; whether it is working part time, working for her parents, or doing few engagements as she can. And before anyone tries to use the kids as an excuse for her lack of engagments this conclusion has come from her WHOLE work history: university student, normal citizen, part time royal, mother.
Denville was just pointing out her long history of not showing an interest in work based on over a decade of observation; those who insist she might do work only have speculation.

Last edited:
In the military, it's called fighting the last war. Kate already done more engagements this year than all of last year. She's only 5 behind Harry

Last edited:
Oh stop with the feminist crap, this isn't about having ovaries this is about her work. It was stated that nothing Kate has done has shown that she isn't interested in work and I pointed out that everything she has done since university has shown she has no initiative in life when it comes to working. I am one of the people who gave Kate a pass for her past work history until she showed the same lack of work ethic after she got married. Her history shows that she will do as little work that she can get away with; whether it is working part time, working for her parents, or doing few engagements as she can. And before anyone tries to use the kids as an excuse for her lack of engagments this conclusion has come from her WHOLE work history: university student, normal citizen, part time royal, mother.
Denville was just pointing out her long history of not showing an interest in work based on over a decade of observation; those who insist she might do work only have speculation.

Catherine worked in a bar when at university, Jigsaw, Party Pieces and now she's working as a senior royal. Where in there is she not working?

I understand some think her jobs were practically nothing because she didn't work the jobs you and some think she should have, but to say Catherine has shown no interest in working is flat out false.

Also, Catherine isn't a full time royal due to William's previous jobs in the SAR and now as a Air Ambulance Pilot.

Also, this is about women beating up other women and tearing each other down as well.

I'd love to see the feminist crap stop. I run into it all the time on this forum. Men who don't tow the feminist line are called out..women who dare to not work full time or appear to like and support 'traditional' rolls are called out.

How about we just let women decide how they want to live and leave it at that. We can stop with the 'oh she's not working enough' or 'oh she doesn't need more children' or 'oh why does she need help (nanny/housekeeping)' etc etc etc.

Most of the complainers won't be happy unless she is punching a time clock so they can make sure they get their money's worth....and even then she would be criticized for not working more.

We all know they have not been full time royals. We all know she's had 2 children within a very short amount of time and that might be her focus (yes I know she's letting the women's empowerment corner down). We all know that they are shifting into more duties and will be full time royals in the near future.

How about everyone just give it a rest and see what happens in the next couple years.

LaRae

Let's move it along. This thread is not about Kate's past work history. Let's get back on topic, which is William and Catherine's future duties/roles.

It seems likely that they will gradually increase their workload as royals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Its not only likely but pretty much a reality as time passes. I think also that we're gradually seeing a big shift in how things will be done in the future. We're living in a global society where a message can be sent instantaneously to millions in the blink of an eye. For example, William with his work on bullying and mental health issues reached more people with just appearing on the cover of a LGBT centered magazine than if he had visited 100 different communities personally. Kate reached millions of people worldwide being a guest editor for the Huffington Press for Mental Health Week than if she had visited 100 clinics to promote the work they do for mental health issues.

The future of royal engagements is changing to be more of substance and quality rather than the quantity of appearances and photo ops. For me, as they take on more and more duties representing "official" duties as representatives of the monarch, they will pretty much have their own causes and issues pretty well covered under the umbrella of The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. We are going to see more and more of how different aspects of the Foundation will be working together for a common cause. Its been a gradual process but coming together nicely in my book.

Seems to me to be making the Royal job pretty easy, if they can do as much sititng at home writing a blog or article for a magazine on some issue (probably with 3 aides in attnendance) as actually going somewhere and interacting and showing themselves. But I think that the present generation don't work as hard and aren't as duty bound as Charles has always been.. or even in her way Diana.

You have to admit though that reaching multitudes of people is a whole lot different than when Charles and Diana and other members of the BRF first started out. Its not a measure of working harder but being able to utilize the tools available to the greatest advantage. :D

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think that the 2 of them do very little, Kate more so than Will. And in C and Di's day, a royal had to get out there and press the flesh, go places and talk to people. Be photographed and be noticed in the press and mags and TV...
even if their speeches were written fro them, they had to deliver them and try and put their case across...
I don't see much of what K and W are up to, because I'm not their generation and not into the social media etc. I DO know a bit about the causes that Di & C promoted and even Camilla...

In the military, it's called fighting the last war. Kate already done more engagements this year than all of last year. She's only 5 behind Harry
Well she's finally starting to do more work, but I think it is time now. the queen is 90, she's not going to go on forever.. and Charles is now taking on more and more work, of hers.

I don't see anything going on that indicates to me Kate is not interested in working.

AGAIN for the 1,004,695 th time...they are not full time royals yet.

We know she does things behind the scenes...just because media isn't present doesn't mean she's sitting home watching soaps and eating bonbons.

LaRae
So what is she doing? Looking after the children, a bit, but she has a nanny. Housekeeping? No, she has staff for that.

But I think that the present generation don't work as hard and aren't as duty bound as Charles has always been.. or even in her way Diana.

Are you just saying William and Kate or also Harry Beatrice and even other royal houses young generation? William seems more duty bound and interested in working than Prince Carl Phillip?

I would imagine that much of the charity work she's involved in goes on behind the scenes. Appointments, reading up on various issues, meeting with folks etc. She doesn't just show up at a charitable event and that's all there is to it. We also know that she does some of her own shopping and errands.

Just because she has a nanny doesn't mean she's not spending a considerable amount of time minding the kids herself. No different than any working mom who's children are in daycare etc. The nanny is not 24/7 minding the kids and has time off as well. It's pretty evident she's a hands on parent (as is William).

I would imagine she does some light housecleaning..picking up after herself (we know she cooks) and the kids on a daily basis. Again no different than many working women (I've had a housekeeper before).

When William leaves his job I expect they will both shift (assuming the Queen approves the funds) into more engagements.

I think it's great they have had this time to adjust to marriage, family life, royal life (for her) before going full time. I think the family has deliberately gone about things very differently after some of the issues with his mother went on.

LaRae

So what is she doing? Looking after the children, a bit, but she has a nanny. Housekeeping? No, she has staff for that.

I don't think you fully understand how hard senior members of the royal family work. Yes, they carry out official engagements publicly, but they also very busy behind the scenes.

Catherine is a very hands on mother. Yes, there's a nanny, but Catherine is busy raising her kids with William.

Catherine is royal patron of several charities. She and her staff work very hard on keeping up progress of her charities, meeting with officials in charge of those organizations and planning visits.

Catherine also work on behalf of Tne Queen by representing her in the UK and Commonwealth. Catherine do her have her down time, but don't get confused on thinking she's not a busy wife, mother and senior royal.

I do think Kensington Palace officials make the mistake in not highlighting the young royals work behind the scenes enough. It would do a great deal of good for people to see them working up close from time to time.

I think they already are doing so.
This year especially they have been quite active.

It always amuses me that people think 1 (!) nanny means they are not raising the kids. 1 nanny is basically a very flexible, focused kind of daycare. If you leave your kids in daycare and take care of your kids the rest of the time, most people count that as hands on parents. The nanny is not a 24/7 thing. She has rights, breaks, days off etc. That's why most royals have more than 1, even at the beginning. Because 1 nanny doesn't really cover that much time in the week.

George seems very attached to Kate. I can't speak for Charlotte cause I've not seen her that much, but I'd assume it's the same way. Clearly she is an integral part of raising her children, which at this age is very important.

Of course he's attached to her, she's his mother....It doesn't mean that she's anything like a full time child carer...

Are you just saying William and Kate or also Harry Beatrice and even other royal houses young generation? William seems more duty bound and interested in working than Prince Carl Phillip?

I know very little abuot non British royals as I've said before. I don't know what they get up to, but I do understand that Carl Philip isn't a particularly hard working royal, he's not the heir or next heir..
As for Beatrice she is not doing royal duties so I don't include her in the "younger royals who are on the working rota" for obvious reasons.
I think that Harry was busy enough when he was in the army but now that he's left I'm not sure what his plans are...

No more or less than anyone else that has help with their children. And speaking from experience, I can tell you that not all children are attached to their mother if their mother is absent, which Kate clearly is not. Unless this is one of those, "Kate is nothing like a normal mother" discussion. Which is quite obvious considering she is a royal.

Who said she was absent? I said she wasn't taking care of the children full time, which she clearly isn't. And generally children are attached to their mothers, in some way no matter what, unless the mother is really missing all the time or very unkind

None of the royals take care of their children full time. In fact, most members of the aristocracy don't care for the children full-time. That's the way they live. It's how William and Harry were raised as well. But she does see them daily and seems to take them to play dates and spend time with them. You're right, she is not caring for them 24/7, but she also does royal duties. As Dman said more eloquently than I, it's a mixture. Now if she did no duties nor ever saw George and Charlotte, then I would wonder what she was doing, but neither of those are the case.

Last edited:
None of the royals take care of their children full time. In fact, most members of the aristocracy don't care for the children full-time. That's the way they live. It's how William and Harry were raised as well. But she does see them daily and seems to take them to play dates and spend time with them. You're right, she is not caring for them 24/7, but she also does royal duties. As Dman said more eloquently than I, it's a mixture. Now if she did no duties nor ever saw George and Charlotte, then I would wonder what she was doing, but neither of those are the case.
Most people in Sweden (where I live) don't take care of their kids full time. Almost all kids go to daycare. Even parents without jobs are allowed 15 hours a week of daycare for their kids. Most parents even in countries where stay at home parenting is common don't take care of their kids 100% of the year.

This thread isn't about Harry, Beatrice, the Swedish royals, or whether Catherine takes care of the children full-time. Let's please stick to the topic - future duties and responsibilities. If you wish to discuss the staff that William and Catherine employ, you can take it to the Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge thread.

Yes and well again...full time royals vs part time.

LaRae

Yes we know they are not full time yet. that wont happen for a while possibly not till Charles is King. But I dont think that they do as much as they coudl as part timers. But it is all very hard to discuss because we dont know what they 're going to do.. or when they will go full time.

The Queen (and presumably Charles has input) make the decisions about who is doing what. Therefore at this point we can figure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Myself I think they will shift into full time, assuming the Queen wants them to, after William leaves his job in a few months. He's already indicated things are going to be changing.

LaRae

Queen Elizabeth and PrincePhilip are doing still some events, Prince Charles and Camilla are working full time, Comtess Sophie is also working and doing a lot of public events
Are there enough public events for William and Kate? perhaps the team of communication is not giving them public events? perhaps some associations are asking the presence of the queen or the presence of Camilla or Charles in first to the palace.
It is not to Kate or William to say ' give us work ' , it is to the team of communication of the palace to search where and what sort of events the duc or the duchess of Cambridge could attend.

She was on maternity leave last year so you would hope that would be the case.

What a stupid article. "Previously, attempts to involve her-even when initiated by the Queen - were resisted" I find that highly not believable that anyone in the royal family would refuse a request from the Queen.

The first solo visit was scheduled 2 years ago but she couldn't go because she was sick with HG. Probably for half the time of her marriage, Kate has been either sick with HG, about to have a baby or just had a baby and is nursing it. Prior to this year, you have to go back to 2012 to get a almost full year where a baby didn't effect the engagement schedule and who knows 2016 maybe like 2012 when December was wiped away with HG from George.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom