What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The more I think about it, the more I realize just how fitting it was for Philip to pass it on to Kate. From what I've read on these cadets, they're in a program in their early teens to build on possibly having a career in the future with the military. It really fits into the overall plan that Kate is working on with roles that aid and support things related to youth and their issues and needs.

Quite fitting if you ask me.

I couldn't agree more.

I also think the family thinks fairly well of Kate. She's being trusted, they know she can handle it.

LaRae

The more I think about it, the more I realize just how fitting it was for Philip to pass it on to Kate. From what I've read on these cadets, they're in a program in their early teens to build on possibly having a career in the future with the military. It really fits into the overall plan that Kate is working on with roles that aid and support things related to youth and their issues and needs.

Quite fitting if you ask me.

Yes, I think she's being very smart about building a specific profile- essentially learning and development for young people who face challenges. Scouts, the Art Room, Action on Addiction, Children's hospices... I expect her profile to grow in that area and I think this was a wise decision.

She'll be taken more seriously if her patronages seem to be working towards a common goal, rather than just a random assortment.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Will she let him serve in the forces? The age of majority in the UK is 18, isn't it? And he'll be in school until he's 17 or 18. She must have known when she married in to the family that any child was likely to join the military. I really can't imagine her saying she won't let her son join.

Last edited:

I would take that article with a grain of salt especially with that headline. The answer is yes- George will serve in the military. Just like almost every male in his family. He is the future head of the armed forces. I don't think Kate will have a problem with it. She went through it will William. George isn't ever going to be put in the front line.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:

It looks like Santa came a bit early for you Dman and gave you what you've been wanting Kate to have for a very long time and I am so very happy that she's finally getting her very own military roles. It also shows that there is trust and closeness between Kate and her grandfather-in-law and the passing of this torch is really a big deal I think.

Dman isn't the only one who has been wanting a long time for this announcement. :). As I said a couple of months ago, she's entering her Fifth Year as a Senior Member of the British Royal Family and it's time for her to step things up. First, her first actual speech last month and now this Announcement. Both are very big, and combine it w/Kate wearing Prince Phillip's Wedding Gift Bracelet he designed for The Queen at The State Banquet a few weeks ago, also very visible signs of how Kate is viewed w/in the BRF IMO.

Catherine's military appointment was a beautiful surprise. I'm glad she's now receiving some military positions of her own, and I'm sure she's going to do an amazing job on representing these thousands of cadets in the UK and abroad. I have full confidence in her and so does Prince Philip. You'd think he would've handed the role down to William or Harry, since he took over after the late King. It's a really big deal for him to hand the role over to his grand-daughter-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. I'm sure she's thrilled and so is William and the family.

Catherine's official senior royal role is expanding, and I'm very pleased indeed, ;)

Also, West Point just named it's first female commandant of West Point’s Corps of Cadets today.

That it is and you can add me to the list of those who have full confidence in HRH. This is indeed a very big deal and sign of the confidence he has in Kate to not only handle the role well, but very well. :)

Kate has taken her first military patronage - but will she ever let Prince George serve in the forces-

"Apropos Prince Philip, it’s said he’d like Kate to take over from him as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards.
Now in his 45th year with the Grenadiers, handing this duty to Kate would mean a lot to him."

Will Kate Middleton let Prince George serve in the forces? EPRHAIM HARDCASTLE writes | Daily Mail Online

I thought The Queen was Honourary Colonel of The Grenadier Guards?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I would take that article with a grain of salt especially with that headline. The answer is yes- George will serve in the military. Just like almost every male in his family. He is the future head of the armed forces. I don't think Kate will have a problem with it. She went through it will William. George isn't ever going to be put in the front line.

That's why it's ridiculous to even suggest it. Why do the newspapers print such inane things? :bang: Yes, I realise it's the Daily Mail, but still....

HM is the Colonel in Chief. Philip is the Colonel of the Regiment.

Last edited:
Dman isn't the only one who has been wanting a long time for this announcement. :). As I said a couple of months ago, she's entering her Fifth Year as a Senior Member of the British Royal Family and it's time for her to step things up. First, her first actual speech last month and now this Announcement. Both are very big, and combine it w/Kate wearing Prince Phillip's Wedding Gift Bracelet he designed for The Queen at The State Banquet a few weeks ago, also very visible signs of how Kate is viewed w/in the BRF IMO.

That it is and you can add me to the list of those who have full confidence in HRH. This is indeed a very big deal and sign of the confidence he has in Kate to not only handle the role well, but very well. :)

The Queen is Colonel in Chief of The Grenadier Guards, but Prince Philip is the Honorary Colonel of the Regiment. If he hands it down to Catherine, she would be the Honorary Colonel of The Grenadier Guards.

Kate has been rather busy the past 5 years...it's not like she's been sitting home eating bon bons and watching soaps with nothing else to do.

I think it very smart of the BRF to give Kate TIME to find her footing and ease into things. Things appear to be moving along smoothly.

LaRae

Is Hardcastle trying to stir up something with the intimation of Katherine being ant-military. The old "courtiers feel/fear .... Blah blah blah. I don't recall there being any such indication. It's really annoying how some of these people "suggest" certain things in their articles just to stir up the chatterers.

:previous:
Absolutely agree with you, I also think that the royal family has let Catherine find her footing and interests in what she would like to do and how this has been done all these years shows us here just how intelligent and thoughtful Catherine is. She is going to be doing amazing things in the future it seems and I for one look forward to seeing what she will accomplish. Both her and William make a great team.

Is Hardcastle trying to stir up something with the intimation of Katherine being ant-military. The old "courtiers feel/fear .... Blah blah blah. I don't recall there being any such indication. It's really annoying how some of these people "suggest" certain things in their articles just to stir up the chatterers.

Yes, he is trying to stir things up. George is 2. He is going to nursery school next month not Sandhurst. George is going to grow up surrounded by the military. Trooping the colour every year, RAF fly paths, guards in bearskins, Calvary on horses , helicopters, etc.

Hardcastle is using the line about George not riding a motorcycle from Kate with other things. First it was horses and now the military. The truth is that if Kate didn't want George to join (which we have no reason to think that), George would just have to get his father to go along with it. It's part of his future job as King.

Last edited:
You don't marry into that family and think your children won't ride or join the military...I'm sure Kate is well aware of the family traditions.

LaRae

You don't marry into that family and think your children won't ride or join the military...I'm sure Kate is well aware of the family traditions.

LaRae

So true. Or have a dog. No cat people except for Princess Michael.

If Catherine is so anti military, why did she marry a man who was serving in the military? William was on active duty during their dating years and during their early marriage.
It is just someone grasping at straws to create a story.

Kate isn't anti military. It's just click bait. Her grandfather was a RAF pilot, her grandmum worked at a Bletchley Park, her husband is the future head of the armed forces so is her son. She just took over Philip's air cadet patronage.

Bletchley Park worked on code breaking for the military during WWlI. Breaking the German code was quite important to winning the war.

Anyone who hasn't seen Enigma ...it is a MUST see based on actual events movie.

LaRae

Time to move back on topic please - the past military and/or civilian work of members of the Duchess of Cambridge's family can be discussed in her family thread if people wish to do so. Discussion about films, movies and books can also be done in the appropriate thread.

I look forward to seeing Kate take on her first military role. Appearantly (according to the Twitter of the woman who was present when Catherine took over the role) she will not be wearing uniform in her role. But since it's the year of their 75th celebration I think it's a good chance that we might see her a few times this year in engagements concerning them.

I hope she and William (and also Harry) will continue the focus on mental health this year as well! I am also looking forward to William continuing to do the investitures and maybe even see them involved with another state visit this year?

I am also very interested in seeing how United for Wildlife and such will continue on this year. Appearantly China sat down with other countries on their meeting and it was a huge deal so I look forward to seeing how that will develop this year :)

I have kind of a crazy thought- but it occurred to me while watching Ant and Dec Meet the Prince, that Kate's agenda is shaping up to be almost exactly the agenda of the Prince's Trust- lots of investment in young people.

He says he hopes someone takes it over- is it possible that Kate is being groomed for that? As Princess of Wales and then Queen, she would be high profile enough to head it.

^ If Kate was being considered as head of the Trust then surely she would have been included in the programme or at least the interview with William and Harry? The Trust requires as President someone with a gift of the gab, a person who has an easy manner with people and can make speeches without appearing nervous.

It just seems like a potential route. And no, I don't think she'd be visible in anything now- it's possible the Prince could be at the head of the trust for another ten years, which is a lot of time to develop into a role. It struck me as more of a "potential after a lot of time" not a "hand over the keys tomorrow"

No successor for the program has been identified yet, which also seems significant to me. If it were going to be William or William and Harry jointly, I think some allusion would have been made to that.

It just seems like a potential route. And no, I don't think she'd be visible in anything now- it's possible the Prince could be at the head of the trust for another ten years, which is a lot of time to develop into a role. It struck me as more of a "potential after a lot of time" not a "hand over the keys tomorrow"

No successor for the program has been identified yet, which also seems significant to me. If it were going to be William or William and Harry jointly, I think some allusion would have been made to that.

(I could of course, be wrong, and they may just be keeping options open and showing deference to the Queen by not doing too much public planning for the future)

I think it the princes have made it very clear that they have no intention of taking over anything to do with their father.

They set up their own foundation, then added Kate to that foundation and it is to be the umbrella for their charitable works.

They have never shown any interest and the way Charles looked away from the camera and looked so sad when asked about who would take it over speaks volumes - he doesn't expect either of his sons to take it on and there is no way Kate will take on something like that if William and Harry aren't going to do so.

I think it the princes have made it very clear that they have no intention of taking over anything to do with their father.

They set up their own foundation, then added Kate to that foundation and it is to be the umbrella for their charitable works.

They have never shown any interest and the way Charles looked away from the camera and looked so sad when asked about who would take it over speaks volumes - he doesn't expect either of his sons to take it on and there is no way Kate will take on something like that if William and Harry aren't going to do so.

I mean, it won't be dismantled- it's too established and appreciated at this point, and it would look terrible for those programs to cease. So I'm sure someone is planned, the only question is who.

Back
Top Bottom