What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no need for them to be full time yet or they would be. There is a reason (mostly financial I'm thinking) they are not. For years we've heard about the royal family trimming the working royals down to smaller numbers. It seems to be that is exactly what they have done.

Charles will likely be King in the next 5 to 10 years at most. When William is the heir he will certainly be full time.

For now the Queen (and probably Charles) determine who's doing what when.

LaRae

Thank you for this reminder Pranter. :) Just like in any other "Firm" the decisions made come from the top and have to take budgets into account. At this point in time the BRF are the largest group of "working" royals who undertake official engagements on behalf of the monarch. They're also unique in that there are 3 generations of adults in that group. In most constitutional monarchies it is limited to just two generations often times because of their nation's constitution limits the size.

The press chooses to focus the majority of their attention to just a few royals and are not pleased that they're on the part time list. So to sell a few more copies we've seen an increase in articles that are not always based on facts.

:previous:

Lets be honest - no one on this forum has the least idea of what HMQ, PoW or anyone else in the royal family and household think of anything. Its just what someone on here "thinks" they "think".

So don't try and bring reality into it, because we haven't got a clue.

But we can still have opinions, and we can air them.

Oh, well said!

Last edited by a moderator:
"This was a week in which Prince William was a royal, morning, noon and night.

Not every week is like this and that's what has irked some newspapers that have documented every aspect of his development.

Their argument is that "Work-Shy Wills", as they've called him, needs to focus on what he was born to do.

His argument, were William Wales to write a column in one of their publications, is that he's a senior royal who balances a job as an air ambulance pilot with his desire to be there for his children.

William, who saw what joining the institution did to his mother, has always tiptoed towards his destiny.

As early as next year, when he has to decide whether or not to continue as a pilot, Prince William may discover that the time for tiptoeing is over."

Taj Mahal pictures of duke and duchess create 'new royal narrative'
Taj Mahal pictures of duke and duchess create 'new royal narrative' - BBC News

What a stupid article. There is no tiptoeing. The BRF has made an obvious effort to keep the younger royals at second-string, while keeping HM's children and cousins on the 'varsity squad'. If the BBC were capable of looking at the bigger picture, the would realize it's not a coincidence that William/Catherine/Harry are all part-time, and that Beatrice/Eugenie are no-time. They are all currently redundant. Of course why do that when you can blame the five of them for not embracing their birthright.

What a stupid article. There is no tiptoeing. The BRF has made an obvious effort to keep the younger royals at second-string, while keeping HM's children and cousins on the 'varsity squad'. If the BBC were capable of looking at the bigger picture, the would realize it's not a coincidence that William/Catherine/Harry are all part-time, and that Beatrice/Eugenie are no-time. They are all currently redundant. Of course why do that when you can blame the five of them for not embracing their birthright.

Peter is just stating facts of the reality that's at hand. He's not talking about Bea and her sister, but about the future King and Queen.

Peter is just stating facts of the reality that's at hand. He's not talking about Bea and her sister, but about the future King and Queen.

Really, what facts? When has The Queen issued a statement that she is unsatisfied with the royal workload of any of her grandchildren? If she indeed does want them all to be full-time royals, it seems a mighty coincidence that all her grandchildren have thumbed their noses at her, and decided to stay in the background, while she weeps in misery because she's stuck with her children and cousins.

Much as people want to see the younger adult royals it seems HM and POW are in sync with their views as to what they are doing.

I have only ever had one real complaint about William and that is that when he is not on the "royal clock" he invariably snubs the media and acts in a generally graceless manner toward the media.

While he has an expectation of privacy, he is old enough to know and live the reality. This tour has shown how pleasant, polite and even outgoing both William and Catherine can be with the media. The difference between home and abroad is startling.

Much as people want to see the younger adult royals it seems HM and POW are in sync with their views as to what they are doing.

I have only ever had one real complaint about William and that is that when he is not on the "royal clock" he invariably snubs the media and acts in a generally graceless manner toward the media.

While he has an expectation of privacy, he is old enough to know and live the reality. This tour has shown how pleasant, polite and even outgoing both William and Catherine can be with the media. The difference between home and abroad is startling.

Yeah, even Richard Palmer noticed how relaxed and comfortable the royal couple seem to be with the media. I understand what you're saying, but sometimes the royals don't like being bothered when off duty. Sometimes you see this attitude with several of the royals, not just William though. The media have had some interesting run ins with Anne, Edward, Philip, and Andrew. There has been some steely looks from The Queen too.

Well I suppose they need the press when their on a tour. But I guess they want them to disappear when their off duty back home. Doesn't work like that and that's something Will doesn't understand or want to happen. Anyway just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Well I suppose they need the press when their on a tour. But I guess they want them to disappear when their off duty back home. Doesn't work like that and that's something Will doesn't understand or want to happen. Anyway just my thoughts

It's always been a sticky sitution though. It's not just unique to William. The royals do give a lot of themselves on a regular bases, but there are moments they must be able to relax on their off days. The royals are nice people and aren't rude on purpose, but if they're being bothered on their days off, sometimes the response can be a tad testy. They may be royal, but they're human beings first. I try not to forget that...

I don't think anyone is forgetting they are human beings. Very privileged human beings

If the BBC were capable of looking at the bigger picture, the would realize it's not a coincidence that William/Catherine/Harry are all part-time, and that Beatrice/Eugenie are no-time. They are all currently redundant. Of course why do that when you can blame the five of them for not embracing their birthright.

I think the main issue is that newspapers work in the "today" business not long term. I'm not personally of the opinion that any more money should be wasted than is necessary just so William and Kate can appear busier. In truth, I think even if they were out there everyday people would find something to criticize about the decision because that's what people do.

I think Charles will slim down the monarchy when he takes over and I'll be interested to see how that turns out. I don't see the need to have so many people undertaking royal duties, but that's the way the Queen chose to run the BRF.

IMO if William, Kate and/or Harry wanted to be full-time working royals they could and would be and the Queen and Charles would figure out how to make it happen within the existing financial constraints. Along with the Queen, Charles and perhaps Camilla and George, William, Kate and Harry are the faces of the British Royal Family IMO and I don't think that "the bosses," aka the Queen and Charles, are choosing to relegate William, Kate and Harry to the second string, rather it is more that they accept that William, Kate and Harry don't want to be part of "the big show" at this time.

My speculation is that think that the Queen and Charles would prefer that William, Kate and Harry be full-time working royals because as the young, attractive ones they are a critical part of the "be visible" rule, however the Queen and Charles are not despots and in the absence of a crisis are going to let William, Kate and Harry call the shots in terms of when they will dive into the deep end of royal work. Yeah once Charles becomes King, William and Kate may not have much choice in the matter if only because it would look very bad and open a big, fat can of worms if William, as the Duke of Cornwall, has access to millions of pounds and he is not a full-time working royal, but that is not a bridge that needs to crossed at this time.

IMO if William, Kate and/or Harry wanted to be full-time working royals they could and would be and the Queen and Charles would figure out how to make it happen within the existing financial constraints. Along with the Queen, Charles and perhaps Camilla and George, William, Kate and Harry are the faces of the British Royal Family IMO and I don't think that "the bosses," aka the Queen and Charles, are choosing to relegate William, Kate and Harry to the second string, rather it is more that they accept that William, Kate and Harry don't want to be part of "the big show" at this time.

My speculation is that think that the Queen and Charles would prefer that William, Kate and Harry be full-time working royals because as the young, attractive ones they are a critical part of the "be visible" rule, however the Queen and Charles are not despots and in the absence of a crisis are going to let William, Kate and Harry call the shots in terms of when they will dive into the deep end of royal work. Yeah once Charles becomes King, William and Kate may not have much choice in the matter if only because it would look very bad and open a big, fat can of worms if William, as the Duke of Cornwall, has access to millions of pounds and he is not a full-time working royal, but that is not a bridge that needs to crossed at this time.

Interesting. Your opinion doesn't really gel with what William Nye has said.

Prince Charles’ big bill for Wills, Kate and Harry | Royal | News | Daily Express

Charles himself pays for much of the work involving Camilla, William, Kate and Harry including, say sources, the young royals’ St James’s Palace office and their travel by car on official UK duties.

Charles’s principal private secretary William Nye said: “Whatever the Duke of Cambridge’s plans, the Prince of Wales would have to look carefully at how he continues to fund the official activities of the staff and support for the five senior members of the Royal Family whom he is paying for.”

William, Kate and Harry employ the full-time equivalent of 10.5 staff, compared to 148.3 for Charles and Camilla, but they would need more if they increase their royal duties.

I tend to believe Mr. Nye, as he is an insider who deals with the situation firsthand. So if we rule out Charles being able to provide for the trio to become full-time, are you speculating that they could be paid for by The Queen instead? I've heard her budget is tight as well. I guess if she was desperate for the trio to become full-time she could 'fire' the Kents, Gloucesters, and Wessexes to open up the money. But logistics tell me that The Queen has decided to stay loyal to her children and cousins, and has no problem keeping her grandchildren on the sidelines until there is room for them.

Like I said, the fact that Beatrice and Eugenie aren't doing any royal duties, speaks to how little availability there currently is in the royal family. But I doubt the trio are weeping in their cornflakes at being sidelined. They likely see it as a blessing in disguise, they can explore other interests before they commit themselves to the BRF for the rest of their natural lives.

It sounds like everybody is happy with the status-quo, except the youth-oriented tabloid writers, and certain impatient royal watchers. And I doubt their whining will sway HM.

I agree with you misswhirley and believe that budget constraints have long played a part in determining the Cambridges and Harry's current roles with the BRF. And as you pointed out Mr. Nye's information reflects a first hand knowledge of the situation. To remedy the problem would require releasing someone from the full time list or requesting more funding to get the trio out and about.

The thing about the statement from William Nye is, he wasn't some 'source' or an 'insider', he was Charles' principal private secretary and he made a statement on the record about Charles finances

So if he was speaking to Richard Palmer and the Express, he was speaking for Charles.

The finances of the BRF aren't set up to account for three adult generations of royals.

The Queen is provided with an income, Charles is provided with an income but William, Catherine and Harry are not.

William and Catherine rely on the left-overs to fund themselves. Why should Charles have to reduce funding to his charities and other interests just to have William and Catherine more visible?

The British monarchy is in great shape. The latest opinion polls show the younger royals to be as popular as ever and I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Last edited:
The thing about the statement from William Nye is, he wasn't some 'source' or an 'insider', he was Charles' principal private secretary and he made a statement on the record about Charles finances

So if he was speaking to Richard Palmer and the Express, he was speaking for Charles.

The finances of the BRF aren't set up to account for three adult generations of royals.

The Queen is provided with an income, Charles is provided with an income but William, Catherine and Harry are not.

William and Catherine rely on the left-overs to fund themselves. Why should Charles have to reduce funding to his charities and other interests just to have William and Catherine more visible?

The British monarchy is in great shape. The latest opinion polls show the younger royals to be as popular as ever and I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Charles have a great deal of staff that he can reduce though. The man have way more staff than his own mother, The Queen. Charles runs his court like as if he lives in the great Edwardian days.

Last edited:
:previous:.. He doesn't have more staff than his mother. BP has over 500 staff. That gets lost in the Household figures for BP. This is a media spin story which places emphasis on love the Queen/don't like Charles. UK press are only capable of compare nd contrast journalism.

What he has are teams of people running his charities and managing the charitable funds. And he puts practical help, in terms of cash and expertise in to helping communities.

Apart from some media and royalists just wanting to see WKH more, they are not needed in terms of delivering the current Royal agenda.

Within 2 yrs WK will be full time, when his contract with Air Ambulance ceases. Part time till then or, sadly, sooner if HMQ dies.

:previous:.. He doesn't have more staff than his mother. BP has over 500 staff. That gets lost in the Household figures for BP. This is a media spin story which places emphasis on love the Queen/don't like Charles. UK press are only capable of compare nd contrast journalism.

What he has are teams of people running his charities and managing the charitable funds. And he puts practical help, in terms of cash and expertise in to helping communities.

Apart from some media and royalists just wanting to see WKH more, they are not needed in terms of delivering the current Royal agenda.

Within 2 yrs WK will be full time, when his contract with Air Ambulance ceases. Part time till then or, sadly, sooner if HMQ dies.

I think Peter Hunt mentioned by next year the contract will be up or he have to decide what he will do. I may be wrong though.

The Royal Household employs approximately 1200 staff. Charles's Household employs 120 to 130 staff.

I can't believe that Will Kate and Harry want to do more but aren't because of lack of money !! Is that what we are meant to believe ??

I can't believe that Will Kate and Harry want to do more but aren't because of lack of money !! Is that what we are meant to believe ??

I don't think it's due to the lack of funding. It's a personal choice for them to be part-time royals. The plan has been supported by The Queen and Charles. I think within a year, William and Catherine will switch over to focusing more on official duties. Their decision will be supported by The Queen and Charles.

Charles have a great deal of staff that he can reduce though. The man have way more staff than his own mother, The Queen. Charles runs his court like as if he lives in the great Edwardian days.

Regardless of the inaccuracy of this statement, your suggestion is that Charles lay off his staff in mass in order to be able to pay for his sons and daughter-in-law to do full time royal work? Seriously?

: Within 2 yrs WK will be full time, when his contract with Air Ambulance ceases. Part time till then or, sadly, sooner if HMQ dies.

Not to be negative (and I do agree with the bulk of your post), but we all thought William was going to become full time when his tenure with the SAR ended too. The truth is, we don't know that he's going to become full time at any point before becoming the heir apparent. His contract with EAAA could be renewed, or he could decide to do something else.

One thing that comes to mind with the discussions of W&K taking on full time royal duties and with it, jam packed daily planners with oodles of royal duties alongside of their own personal charity work is that I can understand why both The Queen and Charles believe part time for now is a good idea. Its not the money to finance it all, its not the visibility of the "younger faces of the BRF" but actually a concern that received a lot of bad press many years ago. The welfare of the brand new faces of the BRF.

The Queen was catapulted into the role as monarch when she had two little ones at home. Charles could definitely be tagged as a workhorse during the times that his sons were growing up. Perhaps in hindsight, they both realize how much their children missed out spending quality time with mum or dad because duty called. We all remember very well what happened when both HM and Charles were more concerned about two young boys that lost their mother rather than the duty of consoling a nation.

George and Charlotte in the long run are the far off future of the British Royal Family and to me, it makes sense that their welfare and the security of home and family comes first before being at royal engagements that most likely will be forgotten by the time the next month rolls around and there's new and different things happening. I'd really like to see it be possible that W&K remain as part time working royals at least until both children have started schooling. The very early formative years are so very important in the life of a child and even more so with a loving mummy and daddy at home and play with them.

I can imagine the reunion of two very happy kids and two very tired but happy parents after that trip to India and Bhutan. Family coming together, being together and sharing the ups and downs of life is what its all about. :D

Regardless of the inaccuracy of this statement, your suggestion is that Charles lay off his staff in mass in order to be able to pay for his sons and daughter-in-law to do full time royal work? Seriously?

Not to be negative (and I do agree with the bulk of your post), but we all thought William was going to become full time when his tenure with the SAR ended too. The truth is, we don't know that he's going to become full time at any point before becoming the heir apparent. His contract with EAAA could be renewed, or he could decide to do something else.

It's been said that he have a great deal of staff than The Queen. I guess I should've put it that way.

No matter what, the reality is that Her Majesty is turning 90 in a few days, and Prince Philip is in his mid 90's. The Cambridge's will have to turn their focus on royal duties on a more regular scale. That's all I'm saying. I know The Queen and Charles will support this move, as they are support their current situation.

I agree, it's all down to good manners, but the Windsors don't like people disturbing their private time. I know people are only making this about William, but he's not the only one in the family that get testy with the media on off days. Not saying it's right for them to do so, but just stating facts.

Interesting. Your opinion doesn't really gel with what William Nye has said.

Prince Charles’ big bill for Wills, Kate and Harry | Royal | News | Daily Express

Charles himself pays for much of the work involving Camilla, William, Kate and Harry including, say sources, the young royals’ St James’s Palace office and their travel by car on official UK duties.

Charles’s principal private secretary William Nye said: “Whatever the Duke of Cambridge’s plans, the Prince of Wales would have to look carefully at how he continues to fund the official activities of the staff and support for the five senior members of the Royal Family whom he is paying for.”

William, Kate and Harry employ the full-time equivalent of 10.5 staff, compared to 148.3 for Charles and Camilla, but they would need more if they increase their royal duties.

I tend to believe Mr. Nye, as he is an insider who deals with the situation firsthand. So if we rule out Charles being able to provide for the trio to become full-time, are you speculating that they could be paid for by The Queen instead? I've heard her budget is tight as well. I guess if she was desperate for the trio to become full-time she could 'fire' the Kents, Gloucesters, and Wessexes to open up the money. But logistics tell me that The Queen has decided to stay loyal to her children and cousins, and has no problem keeping her grandchildren on the sidelines until there is room for them.

Like I said, the fact that Beatrice and Eugenie aren't doing any royal duties, speaks to how little availability there currently is in the royal family. But I doubt the trio are weeping in their cornflakes at being sidelined. They likely see it as a blessing in disguise, they can explore other interests before they commit themselves to the BRF for the rest of their natural lives.

It sounds like everybody is happy with the status-quo, except the youth-oriented tabloid writers, and certain impatient royal watchers. And I doubt their whining will sway HM.
William Nye is not stating that it can't be done rather he is saying that Charles will have to examine how things are being funded and staffed, and to that I say, "duh." Charles is the Duke of Cornwall and his duchy's income was just shy of £20m for the year ending in 3/31/2015 which supports 2 full time working royals and three part time working royals who carried out a combined total of 1086 engagements in 2015. Queen Elizabeth is the Duke of Lancaster and her duchy's income was was £16m in 2014 (and she also has the sovereign grant) and she supports roughly 10 royals who carried out 2487 engagements in 2015. On top of that Charles is taking on more and more responsibilities of the monarch. Basically Charles is already stretched thin. Now if William, Kate and/or Harry came in and stated that they wanted to be full-time working royals and be given free reign (and resources) to build a staff and portfolio in addition to what's already in place then that would be a problem but if there was a blend where they can assume some of the work of existing royals, particularly Charles, that would be beneficial.

As much as we may think that it would be a challenge for William, Kate and/or Harry to be presently absorbed as full-time working royals, I think that it would be more chaotic if the Queen were to die under the present set up where in an instant William is the head of an entity valued £763 million (a little over $1 billion or €958 million). Having said that I think despite whatever the complexities or risks, and in the absence of a crisis, that the Queen and Charles are going to "err" on the side of letting William, Kate and Harry forge their own paths and learn from their mistakes and successes.

P.S.
If the British Royal Family were being studied by business school students they would get hammered over their succession planning. There seems to be an assumption and sensitivity that older royals will have to be cut loose to make way for younger royals and it does not have to play out that way.

Last edited:
William has been attending Duchy of Cornwall meetings for a long time. There are also professional people to do the day to day running of things. The Duchy continues to run itself when there is no Duke or a underage age Duke. William as Duke will be fine.

One thing that comes to mind with the discussions of W&K taking on full time royal duties and with it, jam packed daily planners with oodles of royal duties alongside of their own personal charity work is that I can understand why both The Queen and Charles believe part time for now is a good idea. Its not the money to finance it all, its not the visibility of the "younger faces of the BRF" but actually a concern that received a lot of bad press many years ago. The welfare of the brand new faces of the BRF.

The Queen was catapulted into the role as monarch when she had two little ones at home. Charles could definitely be tagged as a workhorse during the times that his sons were growing up. Perhaps in hindsight, they both realize how much their children missed out spending quality time with mum or dad because duty called. We all remember very well what happened when both HM and Charles were more concerned about two young boys that lost their mother rather than the duty of consoling a nation.

George and Charlotte in the long run are the far off future of the British Royal Family and to me, it makes sense that their welfare and the security of home and family comes first before being at royal engagements that most likely will be forgotten by the time the next month rolls around and there's new and different things happening. I'd really like to see it be possible that W&K remain as part time working royals at least until both children have started schooling. The very early formative years are so very important in the life of a child and even more so with a loving mummy and daddy at home and play with them.

I can imagine the reunion of two very happy kids and two very tired but happy parents after that trip to India and Bhutan. Family coming together, being together and sharing the ups and downs of life is what its all about. :D

Very good point. However, I do think there are multiple reasons why the Queen has made the decision to make W, K, and H part time royals. Whether one agrees or disagrees with said reasons is another story, but I do believe there are logical and well-thought out reasons why they have chosen to take this approach. I also believe the Queen most of all understands that there will always be criticism, but she will not budge until it becomes absolutely necessary. I don't believe much when it comes to public speeches and interviews, but I believe W and H when they refer to the Queen as "the Boss".

Last edited:
:previous: Good points HistoryGirl. And as the "Boss" she has the final say on who does what, when, where and how. If she and the DoE choose to continue working at their present pace without the assistance of their grandchildren, then ultimately it is their choice. IMO I do believe they've earned that right. :)

Back
Top Bottom