What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kate does have a full time nanny, Maria, and a housekeeper-cook. Among the duties that were in the advertisement for the housekeeper in the magazine 'Lady' were cooking and part time child minding duties.

Quick question, do you have children?

I myself don't but from what others tell me being a mum is an incredibly hands on process. Being a mother and a wife are her two biggest priorities. Whilst I would love to see more of Catherine, I don't take anything away from her for being a hands on mother to those kids.

The fact you wrote "apart from being a mum", is incredibly rude I think.
And royals becoming more involved in the daily childcare routine appears to becoming the "norm" among those royal families with school aged or younger children. Quite likely the royal parents have memories of nannies being their primary caregivers and increasingly they seem to have adapted some of family life habits of their commoner spouses.

Several off-topic posts have been deleted. Fashion can be discussed in the fashion forms.

Quick question, do you have children?

I myself don't but from what others tell me being a mum is an incredibly hands on process. Being a mother and a wife are her two biggest priorities. Whilst I would love to see more of Catherine, I don't take anything away from her for being a hands on mother to those kids.

The fact you wrote "apart from being a mum", is incredibly rude I think.

Yes being a mother is a very hands on job. Taking care of the kids, cooking meals, cleaning the house. full time job. But when you have a nanny, a house keeper and other staff, not so much. We're not talking about a woman who is doing laundry and cleaning dishes while her kids are napping and all the rest. Yes a lot of people have help, childcare and sometimes cleaning help, but those people tend to have a job and need the extra hands. So it does lead people to wonder why she cant do more with all that help. Certainly she isn't the only royal mother out there.

Yes being a mother is a very hands on job. Taking care of the kids, cooking meals, cleaning the house. full time job. But when you have a nanny, a house keeper and other staff, not so much. We're not talking about a woman who is doing laundry and cleaning dishes while her kids are napping and all the rest. Yes a lot of people have help, childcare and sometimes cleaning help, but those people tend to have a job and need the extra hands. So it does lead people to wonder why she cant do more with all that help. Certainly she isn't the only royal mother out there.

I never said she was the only royal mother out there, she's also only got two children whereas other royal families are larger.

However, we don't know what goes on at 1A or Anmer Hall during a regular day, Catherine has never seemed to be like the uptight stick your nose up lady who puts her feet up while others do the work for her.

As I've said before, I would love to see more of William and Catherine and it would be such a boost to the RF, but i don't think it's fair she's slated for being a mother.

I never said she was the only royal mother out there, she's also only got two children whereas other royal families are larger.

However, we don't know what goes on at 1A or Anmer Hall during a regular day, Catherine has never seemed to be like the uptight stick your nose up lady who puts her feet up while others do the work for her.

As I've said before, I would love to see more of William and Catherine and it would be such a boost to the RF, but i don't think it's fair she's slated for being a mother.

That reminds me of when of when she was pregnant with George, and Michael and Carole’s former neighbor said they saw her spend the day carrying boxes and furniture for her parents as they were moving into their new house. Not only is she willing to roll up her sleeves, she apparently she has some upper body strength, too. :lol:

It won't make any difference to the BRF or their subjects, not in the long run, if W&C don't do many royal duties during this period in their lives.
But it makes a huge difference to them and to their babies.

You can never get back the time you might have spent with your tiny kids*, and if you can make yourself available to them almost constantly, that's what you should do. The ribbons will get cut and the hospitals will get visited whether Catherine and William do it or not. But no one else can parent those kids.

*ask HM about this

Last edited:
I don't think that "future roles and responsibilites" will be right round the corner or anytime soon for the couple. I think there won't be great changes for them until Charles becomes king. Therefore, I don't find anything to comment on at the moment.

The young royals will have to continue to step up now that The Queen is entering her 90's and Prince Philip in his mid 90's.its just time for people to wake up to reality now. This couple won't wait for The Queen to get sick and pass on to suddenly switch over to full royal duties. They will now gradually up their duties.

Last edited:
I mean if there's enough time for Harry to go law school, Catherine should be allowed to by a mum to her children for a few more years :p

I mean if there's enough time for Harry to go law school, Catherine should be allowed to by a mum to her children for a few more years :p

Royal duties today is completely different than it was during The Queen's young days. William and Catherine can take on even responsibility and continue to be hands on and present parents.

True reality is kicking in now and folks will have to wake up and face it.

My prediction: William (and therefore Kate) will not become full time royals until Will is King. The transition won't happen now, it won't happen gradually and it won't happen when Will is POW. Nor will happen when the youngest is off to University, whoever that youngest turns out to be.

Once Will is king he will abdicate at first opportunity, and then retire. We won't see 90 year old King William.

No need to argue with me, this is only a prediction. However it is based on everything I have seen regarding William throughout his adult life.

My prediction: William (and therefore Kate) will not become full time royals until Will is King. The transition won't happen now, it won't happen gradually and it won't happen when Will is POW. Nor will happen when the youngest is off to University, whoever that youngest turns out to be.

Once Will is king he will abdicate at first opportunity, and then retire. We won't see 90 year old King William.

No need to argue with me, this is only a prediction. However it is based on everything I have seen regarding William throughout his adult life.

Well, you have an unique prediction which always make threads more interesting. I would advise against making a monetary bet with Paddy Power over this prediction, though.

Royal duties today is completely different than it was during The Queen's young days. William and Catherine can take on even responsibility and continue to be hands on and present parents.

True reality is kicking in now and folks will have to wake up and face it.
Yes!!!! If William and Kate don't want to be full-time working royals at this time then so be it, but I totally disagree that being full-time working royals will not allow William and/or Kate to be hands on and involved parents.

Last edited:
If he really didn't want to be a Royal, he could have converted to Roman Catholicism as a 18 year old. Then he would not be in the line of succession, nor would any of his children. However, that didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I believe that we will not see ninety year old monarchs in the future in any realm. I believe that Charles will one day abdicate once he reaches an age when he believes he can no longer fulfill his role. IMHO I do not believe that he has the same feelings toward the subject as his mother and he will not want to have his son and grandson waiting for decades. I agree that in time, William will also choose to abdicate when George is married and his children are older. I do believe that we'll see future abdications much like Beatrix, Albert, Jean, Benedict and Juan Carlos have done in recent years. :)

What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

Seeing how long it took the succession to the crown act to get approved through the various realms, is a 1936 instrument of abdication even possible today? Or would it have to be individually passed?

A regency would be a easier path if you can't just give it up 1936 style. After waiting so long, I would think that Charles would not voluntarily give up the crown if he was in sound mind & body. If not sound mind or body, then that qualifies for a regency.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't know why people continue to think William isn't interested in being King. He's pretty much getting himself prepared for the "Top Job" (as his mother called it), and he's going through the best apprenticeship as we type.

I know people are used to how Elizabeth II has defined her role as a Monarch, and of course, both William and his father will apply the inspiration they have received from The Queen to their new roles. William will do just fine in defining his role when King. We're in a different time and era now. William will be a very active King, and people will grow used to it. I always say the same about his father as well.

Catherine is going through her own apprenticeship as well. People have dubbed her "work shy" and "lazy", but every time I see Catherine on an official engagement and promoting the charities that's close to her heart, she lights up and enjoy what she's doing. I think she rather like performing official engagements.

Official royal duties don't have to be dull and boring. It's up to the royals to define their duties. These young royals just don't want to unveil countless plaques, cut ribbons or make meaningless speeches. They are working to be a more hands on and involved royal family. It works for them, and it will help and benefit the people they are serving.

Last edited:
I don't know why people continue to think William isn't interested in being King. He's pretty much getting himself prepared for the "Top Job" (as his mother called it), and he's going through the best apprenticeship as we type.

I know people are used to how Elizabeth II has defined her role as a Monarch, and of course, both William and his father will apply the inspiration they have received from The Queen to their new roles. William will do just fine in defining his role when King. We're in a different time and era now. William will be a very active King, and people will grow used to it. I always say the same about his father as well.

Catherine is going through her own apprenticeship as well. People have dubbed her "work shy" and "lazy", but every time I see Catherine on an official engagement and promoting the charities that's close to her heart, she lights up and enjoy what she's doing. I think she rather like performing official engagements.

Official royal duties don't have to be dull and boring. It's up to the royals to define their duties. These young royals just don't want to unveil countless plaques, cut ribbons or make meaningless speeches. They are working to be a more hands on and involved royal family. It works for them, and it will help and benefit the people they are serving.

I very much agree with your post.

My prediction is that W&K will step up to doing full time royal duties when the Firm decides that its time that they do. Its not their decision to make whether they're full or part time. They may have requested to be part time but in the end, that decision to be part time was discussed and approved by the Lady in the Top Job.

We are not privy to what the Firm's long range goals are and can only speculate on them. What the changes will be when Charles and then William are the monarch we guess at by analyzing their personalities.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

My prediction is that W&K will step up to doing full time royal duties when the Firm decides that its time that they do. Its not their decision to make whether they're full or part time. They may have requested to be part time but in the end, that decision to be part time was discussed and approved by the Lady in the Top Job.

We are not privy to what the Firm's long range goals are and can only speculate on them. What the changes will be when Charles and then William are the monarch we guess at by analyzing their personalities.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

William and Catherine can decide to take up royal duties full-time. Their decision will be supported, just like folks say their choice to be part-time royals are supported. The ball is in their court, but I think they know the time is coming now.

William and Catherine can decide to take up royal duties full-time. Their decision will be supported, just like folks say their choice to be part-time royals are supported. The ball is in their court, but I think they know the time is coming now.

There is also the cost to consider seeing as Charles does the bulk of the financing of W&K's royal duties. If daddy says "leave it as it is for now", that's exactly what is going to happen.

I really don't believe its up to Will and Kate at all.

^^^I agree with you Osipi that Charles would have some say in how often the Cambridges and Harry can perform royal duties if he's covering the cost for himself, Camilla and three others.

Charles has been trying to trim the working royals from what I understand.

There is also the cost to consider seeing as Charles does the bulk of the financing of W&K's royal duties. If daddy says "leave it as it is for now", that's exactly what is going to happen.

I really don't believe its up to Will and Kate at all.

Charles can afford to finance William and Catherine full-time royal duties. If he cut down on some of his staff. The man have way more staff than his mother, and she's The Queen.

Charles can afford to finance William and Catherine full-time royal duties. If he cut down on some of his staff. The man have way more staff than his mother, and she's The Queen.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue. I just don't think there's a big push at all for W&K to go full time other than some of the public wanting to see more of them and the system they have in place now on how things go work fine for me.

Charles is also a very energetic and on the go kind of guy and has a multitude of different projects and interests that require other people on board to carry out the day to day implementation of said projects such as his gardens at Highgrove.

I really don't want to see W&K pressed into full time royal duties and all that would entail while their children as still so small and need mommy and daddy as their hands on role models. There are decades ahead where the Cambridges will be the heir and consort and eventually King and Queen Consort.

I just keep thinking that a child's best example of how life works is learned from a very early age. What W&K are doing is establishing a firm, loving and supportive home environment. George and Charlotte will learn the ins and outs of the royal fishbowl as they grow and watch their parents take on more and more important roles and responsibilities. If they are a bit older when this happens, I think the children would be more cognizant of all that is involved and the whys and the wherefores and the history behind it all. Right now doing full time royal duties would just take them away from these children when they have no real concept of why mommy and daddy are gone too much.

Of course this is my own personal perceptions on things. I've never raised a royal child.

Do you believe that after the Duke and Duchess return from the Royal Tour of India. there will be an announcement that Catherine is expecting a baby?

^^^No I do not believe that we'll hear about a new pregnancy in 2016.

I'm not even going to speculate on anything regarding the Cambridges and the size of their family. Its an area that is personal to them and doesn't fit into what we, the public, have opinions on.

I have to agree with you. IMO William's heart is not in it and never has been. I don't think he will do anything to rock the boat whilst the Queen is alive but once she passes I will not be surprised if he calls it a day.

Back
Top Bottom