What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have kind of a crazy thought- but it occurred to me while watching Ant and Dec Meet the Prince, that Kate's agenda is shaping up to be almost exactly the agenda of the Prince's Trust- lots of investment in young people.

He says he hopes someone takes it over- is it possible that Kate is being groomed for that? As Princess of Wales and then Queen, she would be high profile enough to head it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think the Cambridge's and Prince Harry will be involved with The Prince's Trust, but I also think Charles will remain an active participant in the Trust.

I honestly think if anyone takes over it will be Harry. When Kate joined her husband and Harry's trust Harry kind of got pushed off to the side a bit. When his dad is king and his brother is POW, he will need a more specific role IMO. I see him taking over the trust, in the way that Edward has slowly taken over the DOE awards from his dad, or in Sweden how Maddie is being groomed to take over Childhood from her mother.

Harry hasn't been really pushed to the side for WKH's foundation. He goes to the charity forums when available. The Harry Potter Studios and Shawn the Sheep/Batfa events were for the charity forums. The foundation set up the endeavor fund and helped sponsor Harry's Invictus games.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Well if Charles stays at the helm after he becomes King then there won't need to be a replacement for a couple of decades, assuming he's blessed w/ Windsor - Montbatten longevity - so perhaps Prince George, Princess Charlotte or Harry's offspring will have an interest in grandpa's trust when the need arises leaving Harry & future spouse & William & Catherine free to manage their own foundation.

In my humble opinion The Duchess of Cambridge will take a supportive role much more like that of The Late Queen Mother in future years. I doubt her parenting days are behind her and whilst engagements and roles will increase, that may be the role she concentrates on in in the foreseeable future.

Harry hasn't been really pushed to the side for WKH's foundation. He goes to the charity forums when available. The Harry Potter Studios and Shawn the Sheep/Batfa events were for the charity forums. The foundation set up the endeavor fund and helped sponsor Harry's Invictus games.

I've never seen Harry being pushed to the side either. Under the foundation, there are three main categories for their charities and it seems like each of them have their own main focus. Kate has the youth area mostly, Will has the conservation area and Harry's definitely got the military covered. Of course, all three of them work together closely on this. Not too long ago as Harry was completing his stint with wildlife conservation in Africa, William announced that Harry is now an ambassador for the United for Wildlife aspect of the foundation.

Like the Prince's Trust, I expect to see the foundation grow over the years and W&K&H to continue working closely together on it.

I don't believe PH will be pushed to anyone's side lines. This is a young man who once famously sad that his role in life was to support his brother. PH has a role and that is ever evolving. He is in my humble opinion one of the most popular and respected members of the family at the moment.

:previous: ... and the epitome of what a Prince Charming should be like. He's finding his niche in the world and doing so admirably in my book so far.

I would like to see WKH all become full time working royals. If cost or overall number of current full time royals is the issue, the Queen's cousins could be retired, and paved a decent pension by HM.

I would like to see WKH all become full time working royals. If cost or overall number of current full time royals is the issue, the Queen's cousins could be retired, and paved a decent pension by HM.

That's pretty much around the corner now.

Why should she have to pay them to do nothing?

What about Charles? Does he want to pay the Gloucester's forever to do nothing and they are only a few years older than he is. If they are to be retired what message does that say about Charles and Camilla?

I think rather than a grand shake 'em ups and moving some into full time positions and sidelining others that do a substantial amount of work is not a very good idea. It gives the illusion of the BRF being "broken" and needs to be "fixed". Off with the old and on with the new all at once will be very noticeable and rumors would fly and the Daily Fail would cackle with glee.

We've been seeing a slow transition over the past couple of years and it will continue to be gradual and I would wager, still be gradual after Charles ascends the throne. Let nature take its course.

What now for William: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

We got lot of answers in 2105 about William's preparation for the future.

We heard from Alistair Martin, Duchy Secretary and Keeper of the Records. Succession – although rarely spoken of directly because of the sensitivity of the subject – is not far from anyone’s mind. But when Prince Charles becomes King, his son, Prince William, will become Duke of Cornwall.

Alistair Martin, who spends most of his working week in London, said Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, had attended the twice yearly Duchy Council meetings at which policy and strategy are discussed. “Part of my job is really to keep on talking with the Duke of Cambridge, trying, I think, to continue with the process of familiarisation because no one knows when succession is going to happen” he said.

“The Duke of Cambridge expects to be the next Duke of Cornwall and at that time, if I am still around, it will fall to me to support him. I meet with him on a regular basis and brief him and respond to questions from him and seek his views, particularly on things that are long term projects. So, of course, does his father, as any father would with a son.

A lot of programmes we are starting now are projects that will proceed for many decades and which the Duke of Cambridge will, no doubt, be involved with.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

William is also getting up to speed with the workings of Whitehall. We learned from the BBC he is regularly briefed on government business

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
The BBC has learnt that the Duke of Cambridge does receive Cabinet papers. He is given them occasionally.

Prince William is given the gov documents to help him understand the workings of Whitehall and to prepare him for when he is King.

Cabinet Office: "The Duke of Cambridge is a senior member of the royal family and future heir to the throne and therefore of course ...

....it is appropriate that he is regularly briefed on government business".

Plus he did 9 investitures last year and attended an incoming State Banquet from China.

I think he has all his basses covered imo, in addition to regular royal 'work'

Last edited:
Yes, I would agree. Part of the reason the monarchy survives is that it moves cautiously. We'll gradually see the younger generation do more and the older generation do less.

We've been seeing a slow transition over the past couple of years and it will continue to be gradual and I would wager, still be gradual after Charles ascends the throne. Let nature take its course.

I agree with both of you. The transition has been ongoing just at a slower pace than the press and some royal watchers expect. HM and the DoE are scaling back their own activities and travel with Charles/Camilla are taking on more of the foreign travel ones. William is becoming more involved with the royal duties that he'll assume one day.

IMO William, Kate or Harry could be full-time royals and have a workload similar to the Queen, Prince Philip, Andrew, Edward or Sophie if they wanted but they choose not to. My theory is that they choose not to because once they are in full-time there's no getting out - they, especially William or Catherine, will be in it for the rest of their lives.

If my theory is correct I can see why they are sowing their wild oats, so to speak, before becoming fully entrenched in The Firm but I think that one advantage to them becoming full-time royals in the next few years, particularly William and Kate, is that they will eventually have the Duchy of Cornwall's income at their disposal and hopefully William will be willing to take on some of the Charles' patronages/duties because otherwise Charles is going to have to make some tough choices when he becomes King if he has to bring over all of his Prince of Wales duties and responsibilities and execute them and resource them when he becomes King.

IMO William, Kate or Harry could be full-time royals and have a workload similar to the Queen, Prince Philip, Andrew, Edward or Sophie if they wanted but they choose not to. My theory is that they choose not to because once they are in full-time there's no getting out - they, especially William or Catherine, will be in it for the rest of their lives.

If my theory is correct I can see why they are sowing their wild oats, so to speak, before becoming fully entrenched in The Firm but I think that one advantage to them becoming full-time royals in the next few years, particularly William and Kate, is that they will eventually have the Duchy of Cornwall's income at their disposal and hopefully William will be willing to take on some of the Charles' patronages/duties because otherwise Charles is going to have to make some tough choices when he becomes King if he has to bring over all of his Prince of Wales duties and responsibilities and execute them and resource them when he becomes King.
I think it's not wild oats, but time with the kiddies while they are young. And I think previous generations have said "Take the time. I could not and I regret it." JMO.

The Royal family are loyal to each other. HMQ asked Princess Alexandra and The Gloucesters to give up the life they planned and work for her; she asked the Duke of Kent to take on royal duties, even when he was fulltime army - they have given loyal service and frankly, it makes me cross that people think that these loyal servants to the crown should be discarded.

It wont happen. I don't care (carefully reworded here) what the media put out there, it wont happen.

The Queen wont tell them to go and neither will Charles. If they want to retire, that's different.

I find it really peculiar that this attitude prevails when there is no question of a 90 yr old Queen being told to abdicate and the US (for example) are thinking that a 60+ yr old president is ok because experience is valued.

If its pretty pictures of young people that's needed, they can be found on the celebrity pages. We aren't talking about celebrities, we are talking about representatives of the people of the UK et al.

I'm thinking that a big vital point here is missing as far as William and his low numbers as far as royal engagements and duties. Its been stated over and over that William, himself, doesn't want to be a full time royal. Its been stated that William's employment with EAAA is lackadaisical at best and people have to cover for him.

This is exactly how things were planned out to be. Its not that William doesn't want to be a full time royal, its been decided that he isn't needed to be a full time royal and that comes from his father and his grandmother who, when you think about it, hold all the cards to how things are going to work. If either Charles or the Queen thought that William should be a full time royal, that's exactly what he would be.

With EAAA, it has always been the arrangement that as welcome that William is to their crew, it was understood that they would work together to ensure that William's other responsibilities in his life could be met.

Neither EAAA or The Firm owes any accounting to how they run things and what arrangements are made or how things are scheduled and carried out to the general public.

Basically, all that is happening with the "workshy" stories and the hours he's worked or hasn't worked is pure speculation on how things *might* be.

This is exactly how things were planned out to be. Its not that William doesn't want to be a full time royal, its been decided that he isn't needed to be a full time royal and that comes from his father and his grandmother who, when you think about it, hold all the cards to how things are going to work. If either Charles or the Queen thought that William should be a full time royal, that's exactly what he would be.

I think it is the opposite. It is William who had decided not to be a full time royal.

William said as much in the Katie Couric interview in 2012.

I’m still trying to decide [about another Royal Air Force tour of duty]. It’s a really difficult one because I really enjoy my time in the Air Force, and I’d love to continue it,” he said. “But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”
William has always been labeled a reluctant royal.

He was originally scheduled to leave the military in 2008 but kept continuing his tours of duty.

IMO, William does not want to be a full time royal. He has been dragging his feet.

His supporters continue to make excuses and blame Charles and the Queen but it is William who does not want to be a full time royal.
(Osipi not you personally.)

From the book, Monarchy, The Royal Family at Work, by Robert Hardman

The Prince [of Wales] has always made it clear that his sons will not be shoved into royal duties against their will. Having had his own education and career mapped out by a committee involving everyone from the Archbishop of Canterbury to the Prime Minister, he remains determined that Princes William and Harry should follow their instincts and their own sense of duty rather than some dusty blueprint
Several people have tried to use the excuse there is not enough money but I think that was only a one time event after the royal wedding and an attempt by a friendly employee at CH to help William get what he wants.

On several occasions William has hinted he bumps heads with his father.

IMO, William thinks he is 'popular' so he can do what he wants and the 'public' will support him. Well the media has turned against him and they will cause the public to turn against him.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that a big vital point here is missing as far as William and his low numbers as far as royal engagements and duties. Its been stated over and over that William, himself, doesn't want to be a full time royal. Its been stated that William's employment with EAAA is lackadaisical at best and people have to cover for him.

With EAAA, it has always been the arrangement that as welcome that William is to their crew, it was understood that they would work together to ensure that William's other responsibilities in his life could be met.

Neither EAAA or The Firm owes any accounting to how they run things and what arrangements are made or how things are scheduled and carried out to the general public.

Basically, all that is happening with the "workshy" stories and the hours he's worked or hasn't worked is pure speculation on how things *might* be.
In other words, the Firm operates much like any other company with orders coming from the top down to the workers. :)

I'm really starting to believe that its not about the number of engagements or royal titles or even being an heir to the heir. Its about getting life right. This family is also a very human family that just happens to live in a fishbowl where everything they do or or don't do is dissected, analyzed and these royal figures are moved around on a chessboard as we would like them to be.

I don't think there is one member of the British Royal Family that is exempt from wishing things were different than they were/are. HM probably could have done without becoming Queen Regnant at a very young age. Philip might have wanted to keep active with his military career longer. Charles may daydream about being an ordinary farmer with plenty of time for painting and Harry finding a career as a game warden in Africa. You get the picture. It was in this vein that William was expressing his difficulty at one time in finding a balance that works. I think balance is the key word here.

Perhaps over the years with the mistakes that were made and resulting chaos that followed, they've come to realize that although duty and service are what is expected of them and they do give it freely, it shouldn't be that their own happiness and well being suffers because of it.

These are very human people and not puppets.

Almost everyone wishes their life was different be it money job health family etc etc and almost nobody can change it royal or not. For most of us the worry about having a roof over our head food on the table bills paid prevent us from doing it. Being royal would be hard but so is life for most people.

Almost everyone wishes their life was different be it money job health family etc etc and almost nobody can change it royal or not. For most of us the worry about having a roof over our head food on the table bills paid prevent us from doing it. Being royal would be hard but so is life for most people.

I understand what you are saying but if given the opportunity, then people would take it. My father was given the opportunity to move out of appalling housing in London post war and away from the pollution and he took it - even though he got all sorts of arguments against it from his family. But he thought it right for the future and his children

William has been given the opportunity and he's taken it. I know that they are not as senior but the Wessexes also take the opportunity given - no engagements at half term or long school holidays - this never used to happen but that's how they manage the mix of work and family life.

William and Catherine have the opportunity now, the media don't like it and KP are rubbish (IMO) at dealing with it.

Please bring back Jamie L-P

Brilliant posts from cepe and Osipi!.

When William inherits the British throne, he will take the BRF back to a time when they hid behind palace walls and felt their lives were off limits to the public. But this is why many royal families, who are supported by their citizens, have gotten their arses kicked out onto the streets. Let's face it, royal families are wealthy from taking property and possessions for centuries from whomever they chose because they could, just even a few centuries back. They stole from their subjects and overtime they amassed great wealth. William is only entitled to have a basic private life, he owes everything else to his public. His ancestors many years back decided the oldest boy eventually becomes king and William is in that category. So if he does not want to devote himself, because of the rules of the family he was born into, to his public, he should walk out of the door of his home/palace, just keep walking and never look back. It is not the British public who put him in his position, it is his family that is responsible. He may not like it, but the public has the right to see pictures of his children, especially George, because he too falls into the same category as William. Royals should be always on public display - it's only harassment to invade his private living quarters - which was indirectly provided courtesy of British subjects robbed by the BRF many moons ago. Don't feel sorry for any royal boohooing over their lack of privacy - they are not owed that by anybody. You want to stay royal, then deal with the situation your decided for you by your ancestors. You, and your family,owe your citizens your life and livelihood and smile sincerely and be grateful you have been blessed with so much in life. Stop whining - if you don't like it, walk completely away (=live off your wages only) and never look back. I think many Brits would love to get rid of him and many more of their very expensive welfare cases. Rant over!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree because all people should have the right to privacy be they public figures or not. I do not believe that in the future that the BRF will be enclosed behind palace walls in the scenario that you have described. In the future, I believe William and Kate will continue to release photos of their family on a regular basis much like his parents and grandparents did The royal engagements, tours, state visits, ceremonial events etc...will continue to be covered by the media. However until their children are adults, I do believe they will request that their privacy be respected. I've observed that other European monarchies have similar policies in place with their nation's media. They release photos of the children and provide opportunities for the press to photograph them at certain royal family events:ie National Day parades, throne ascensions etc.. The Netherlands has had its media code in place since 2005. While it was initially grumbled about by the tabloid press and the royals made good on their promise to pursue legal action for unauthorized photos, it still exists today and the Dutch royals have been given their privacy while being photographed going about their duties.

However I doubt we will see a type of relationship that his late mother had with the tabloid press. I do believe that Diana had good intentions but ultimately it grew beyond her control. She was harassed continuously until her death by the tabloid press and yes I do believe that influences her sons' decisions to this day.

Last edited:
Agree, TLLK.

Regarding the property owned by Royals: I think most of the people in the world live on land that used to belong to other people in the past. I'm pretty sure my house in the US is built on land previously claimed by an American Indian tribe. Most land in the US was stolen from Indians. So, too, with Europeans. A lot of Europe was settled by people who drove out previous owners. Most cities are built over land previously owned by Victorian, medieval, Roman, Normans, Saxons, and prehistoric people. As the saying is: possession is 9/10 of the law. So I don't begrudge the Royals' land or possessions. Most of what they have is owned by the state, anyway. Parenthetically, I DO resent the Barons of Wall Street, who have way too much influence over governments and markets.

Everyone deserves a private life. I think the BRF gives a lot of time, effort, and thought to the UK. William will one day be king, but he is currently behind HM and PoW. He'll have a quiet time now, and a very busy time when he is old. I wouldn't want his life--I'm enjoying retirement too much!

When William inherits the British throne, he will take the BRF back to a time when they hid behind palace walls and felt their lives were off limits to the public. But this is why many royal families, who are supported by their citizens, have gotten their arses kicked out onto the streets. Let's face it, royal families are wealthy from taking property and possessions for centuries from whomever they chose because they could, just even a few centuries back. They stole from their subjects and overtime they amassed great wealth. William is only entitled to have a basic private life, he owes everything else to his public. His ancestors many years back decided the oldest boy eventually becomes king and William is in that category. So if he does not want to devote himself, because of the rules of the family he was born into, to his public, he should walk out of the door of his home/palace, just keep walking and never look back. It is not the British public who put him in his position, it is his family that is responsible. He may not like it, but the public has the right to see pictures of his children, especially George, because he too falls into the same category as William. Royals should be always on public display - it's only harassment to invade his private living quarters - which was indirectly provided courtesy of British subjects robbed by the BRF many moons ago. Don't feel sorry for any royal boohooing over their lack of privacy - they are not owed that by anybody. You want to stay royal, then deal with the situation your decided for you by your ancestors. You, and your family,owe your citizens your life and livelihood and smile sincerely and be grateful you have been blessed with so much in life. Stop whining - if you don't like it, walk completely away (=live off your wages only) and never look back. I think many Brits would love to get rid of him and many more of their very expensive welfare cases. Rant over!!!!!!!

The alternative you present such as the royals walking away from everything would probably end up with the UK having an elected head of state who would expect (as in many other countries) that the taxpayer foot the bill for everything they do with all kinds of perks included. They would be expected to be paid royally (pun intended) in compensation for what they do. I would also wager that this type of Head of State would be far to busy to engage in any real kind of charitable endeavors.

I think the UK (with William as a future monarch and Head of State) needs to realize that the royal family isn't defined by their lands, their priceless treasures or their bank accounts. They are human beings. I'm just hoping that by the time George reaches the time he would ascend the throne, there is still a throne to ascend to. Or even a UK for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom