What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What stands out for me the most is with the announcement that Philip will be retiring from public duties, some reports have come out that "Team Windsor" will be very much there to support the Queen whenever she needs it.

Teamwork. I've always thought of William and Kate and Harry as kind of like the Three Musketeers. One for all and all for one. Being willing to be in a support role is the hallmark of teamwork. The Duke of Edinburgh did it for 70 years and also found ways to make roles for himself. This is what Kate is referring to as having the DoE as a role model. Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. ;)

Well there is no else? Philip is the consort. Kate is a future consort. The Queen Mum is dead, Diana is dead. Camilla isn't that much more experienced than Kate. Philip is the only logical person to base being consort on. We already see William is more like his Granny than his father. He isn't spouting his various opinions on stuff like architecture, global warming etc.
I agree, but I think (as some of the Queen/Charles's former employes said on BBC/Sky during the the 90th birthday celebrations last year) that when Charles becomes king he will go into the role the Queen had from 1952-2012, when sehe went on walkabouts, were driven in open cars, held speeches and traveled around the country etc. And both he and William will shut their mouth when it comes to political issues.

What stands out for me the most is with the announcement that Philip will be retiring from public duties, some reports have come out that "Team Windsor" will be very much there to support the Queen whenever she needs it.

Teamwork. I've always thought of William and Kate and Harry as kind of like the Three Musketeers. One for all and all for one. Being willing to be in a support role is the hallmark of teamwork. The Duke of Edinburgh did it for 70 years and also found ways to make roles for himself. This is what Kate is referring to as having the DoE as a role model. Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. ;)
Agree!

Edward put it in a very similiar way, regarding carrying on the duties that are part and parcel of being the RF.

I love the fact that Catherine wants to take on more responsibilities and looks to Prince Philip as a role model.

:previous:

I hope everyone knows The Queen would never tell the young royals to stop the "soul-baring." It's already been said that she supports their Heads Together Campaign. It's the some of the members of the media from the DM that didn't like the Cambridge's and Prince Harry's confessions.

My sentiments exactly, Dman. There is a huge difference between using an experience to amplify the need to confront and deal with mental issues and using the media to present a "woe is me" "victim" picture. What the Daily Mail isn't seeing is Harry's motive behind baring his soul.

The Three Musketeers (W&K&H) are all raising the level of awareness on mental health and if just one person is helped by it, its all worthwhile.

The source for that DM article is a Roya Nikka article from the Times. Roya is very accurate and is a go to for KP when they want to get information out. I'm inclined to believe there is some truth to the article.

I don't think this has notting to do with the Heads Together Campaign. When the DF and other newspapers wants to bash the Cambridges, they uses the Queen as their tool. And of course now they are using the Philip-situation to do the same.

The source for that DM article is a Roya Nikka article from the Times. Roya is very accurate and is a go to for KP when they want to get information out. I'm inclined to believe there is some truth to the article.

The Queen fully supports the Cambridge's and Prince Harry's campaign and they went to her before speaking out on their own issues. Again, it's some members of the media that want the royals to maintain the old British stiff upper lip on issues that really matter to mental health.

Except even in the Times article there are contradictions. One paragraph says the palace thinks the trio needs to focus on official royal duties rather than their personal charities, another says both things are of equal importance.
I believe the purpose of The Cambridges moving to London full time is so they can be "full-time" royals, so that is happening already (increasing focus on royal duties). However, I'm sure a number of people, possibly even the Queen, are uncomfortable with sharing personal feelings like Willam and Harry have, but times change.

Last edited:
I think that when looking at what William and Kate are going to be stepping into come this fall after William leaves EAAA and they move their primary home base from Amner Hall to KP, we really have to thank Charles for blazing the trail for how heirs to the throne handle things and do things. He basically wrote the book on how to work the "waiting game" as The Prince of Wales. If we look at it, Charles did all the required steps to support and work for his monarch along with setting up his own trusts and charities that he felt connected to. I see a big resemblance between The Prince's Trust and The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

William, Kate and Harry may not be as much as a "get 'er done" personality as Charles is but they're not going to shirk their duties that need to be done.

What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

What's an official royal duty? The monarch is basically the only one with an official royal duty. Sign the legislation, meet with the PM etc. No one else can do that part. William already helps with the investitures. The Cambridges are touring Germany and Poland on behalf the govt in July.

Heads Together like United for Wildlife brought multiple charities together to raise awareness of a specific issue. It's no different than Andrew's Pitch at the Palace, or the Camilla's abused women campaign or DoE award scheme.

And here are the article from the Times and it differs a lot from that in the DF:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/stop-the-soul-baring-queen-tells-princes-s3przbqj8

Some inportmant quotes:
The Queen has signalled that the separate households run by her family should “realign” to place more emphasis on state business instead of initiatives such as the Heads Together mental health campaign launched by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
The Queen’s views were conveyed to more than 500 royal staff at Buckingham Palace on Thursday by Sir Christopher Geidt, her private secretary.

A royal source said: “The Queen was strongly invoked in that meeting; Sir Christopher very much spoke with her authority. It was less about the announcement itself [of the Duke’s retirement] . . . and more about refocusing — let’s get back to doing what the royal family is here to do, representing the nation. That means less of the individual royal activity than there has been in recent times.”
The Queen is understood to be proud of her grandsons’ efforts, but is said to be keen for them to channel more of their energies into official royal duties.
Philip’s decision to withdraw from public life later this year “is the opportunity to realign the households”, a royal source said. “The feeling is that . . . everyone must step up to help the Queen and focus more on what the monarchy is there to do: offer continuity and stability, to be a focus for the nation. So let’s make sure we’re all at the Commonwealth Day service, opening tea shops, attending flood disasters — things the public expects the monarchy to be doing.”
Prince Edward said other royals would step into the breach, adding: “It is always a team effort and that’s we do, and the show goes on.”

However, news of the retirement was “quite a moment” for the Queen, said a former aide. “[She knows] that she is now going it alone.”

I agree with Osipi. I foresee William (& Harry) following the path Charles blazed. Only with their own initiatives just as Charles had the Prince's Trust.

So will Charles have to give up the environment, architecture? Will Camilla have to give up literacy, abused women?

If the new emphasis is supposedly focusing on the 'state', it should apply across the board for all royals.

I think people are trying to divide the Heads Together Campaign and royal duties. You can't do that because the whole thing is royal duties. Royal duties does not mean just cutting ribbons, unveiling plaques and standing on ceremony, it also means creating your own charitable path and helping others. The royals extends the work of the monarch through their public work with their royal patronages and organizations.

What the Cambridge's and Prince Harry are doing is royal duties. Obviously, the trio are taking on more responsibilities from The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.

Some members of the media have a problem with the royals speaking out because they think the royals live in too much privilege to have personal issues and the media still think the royals shouldn't talk about even if they do.

The media have to understand the younger royals are changing the way royal duties are done. They are the future of the monarchy and people have to allow them to shape the future of the the monarchy. There's a time for ceremony and a time for them to relax and help others.

Last edited:
So will Charles have to give up the environment, architecture? Will Camilla have to give up literacy, abused women?

If the new emphasis is supposedly focusing on the 'state', it should apply across the board for all royals.
As I said in post 579, It's just the newspapers that uses the Queen as their tool to bash the Cambridges.

I all boils down to the Queen amplifying the fact that "Team Windsor" is coming into play more.

The difference between official royal duties like tours, investitures, state dinners and meet and greets is that the Queen approves them for the court circular. Personal endeavors by members of the royal family are just as "royal duties" as the BRF has to be seen to support and work for the people that they serve. This is where trusts and foundations and personal campaigns fit in.

All are part and parcel that keep the monarchy in the forefront and relevant.

Well there are certain stuff WKH can't take from the Queen. The Queen is not going around visiting charities around the UK. That's something the younger royals can do. They can't read her state papers for her, sign the legislation from parliament, meet all the ambassadors and foreign leaders for her. They can go give bananas to elephants.

Aww sheesh. Now I want a banana. :eek:

I dont think its a question of giving up what they are doing, its more a question of widening the scope.

Harry does veterans, HIV, sport and now mental health (linked to veterans)
CAtherine does young children and youth, addiction and mental health. Plus some art but not much.
William does young people, military, bereavement, homelessness and mental health. And anti ivory trade and save the pangoline.

All very good but limited.

They have to reach out beyond their direct interests and Im sure they will. But it takes time.

I personally will find it extremely interesting come the Fall to see who and what will make the biggest changes. I am very confident that no matter what is said in public [personal mental health, etc.] it will still be approved of in advance by the Queen. I believe everything has been and will always be run by her first and even with the council of P. Charles. Prince Charles knows exactly how he wants his reign to run when the time comes and I really believe the Queen is making sure that huge changes are not implemented at the same time but already in place under her. One less thing for media to complain about under Charles. She is a wise woman and knows the media well and will try to protect her family quietly whenever she can. I admire her tremendously.

Last edited:
I think we will see the biggest change in visibility with William. William is eliminating his ambulance job to pivot toward full time royal and with HM's 'plus 1' position opening up, I expect William to be the go to guy to learn at the hand of the master. Catherine is changing geography being based in London -but I expect her to continue to be a very present mom; though she will have a little more time in the heart of the day with George off at school for appearances and meetings.

For one of the most recognized men in the world he's managed to remain a bit of an enigma, IMO.

Yes, he has. I think it is a good thing to retain some mystery. I think that is one of the great things about royalty and what contributes to their popularity. The Queen has never given an interview as far as I know.

The Queen, over her long lifetime, remembers when it was pertinent to keep a bit of mystery to the monarchy.

Edward VIII's (David) romance with divorcee Wallis Simpson was not covered in the British press and a lot of people had no clue what was going on until right around the abdication crisis.

Then came Diana were everything and anything with the good, the bad and the ugly was extensively in our faces by the press and we all know how that ended and William was pretty much a witness to it all. A young witness but he was subjected to far more than he should have been.

I think William is determined to put some of the mystery back into the monarchy at least so far in his private life. That's how it really should be. His public life is tied to the monarchy and that should be what the public focuses on and not what is happening in his private life. He's willing to talk to the press about things that he's working on and things that matter in his royal role and maybe a tidbit here and there about the kids but he'll never be as open with the press as his mother was. That tells me he's striving to maintain a healthy balance.

Popularity as a royal is a good thing when its popularity for the right reason.

The Queen, over her long lifetime, remembers when it was pertinent to keep a bit of mystery to the monarchy.

Edward VIII's (David) romance with divorcee Wallis Simpson was not covered in the British press and a lot of people had no clue what was going on until right around the abdication crisis.

Then came Diana were everything and anything with the good, the bad and the ugly was extensively in our faces by the press and we all know how that ended and William was pretty much a witness to it all. A young witness but he was subjected to far more than he should have been.

I think William is determined to put some of the mystery back into the monarchy at least so far in his private life. That's how it really should be. His public life is tied to the monarchy and that should be what the public focuses on and not what is happening in his private life. He's willing to talk to the press about things that he's working on and things that matter in his royal role and maybe a tidbit here and there about the kids but he'll never be as open with the press as his mother was. That tells me he's striving to maintain a healthy balance.

Couldn't agree more!

The big difference is William isn't going through what his late mother went through. Also, the support within the Firm is much better than it was in her day. No need to cry out because you don't have anyone to turn to. William have his wife, brother, father and grandmother to turn to.

The big difference is William isn't going through what his late mother went through. Also, the support within the Firm is much better than it was in her day. No need to cry out because you don't have anyone to turn to. William have his wife, brother, father and grandmother to turn to.

I'm willing to bet my last peanut butter cup too that its William's life's mission to assure that no one he loves and cares for ever has to endure what his mother did. Its a prime reason he's drawn the line in the sand very early on that what is his private life stays private.

We see it in the royal family now where there is much more pulling together and teamwork and support. We see it in the Heads Together campaign that there is always somebody, somewhere to turn to so you're never alone.

The monarchy and the Firm encompasses the entire royal family and the goal is for them all to work together, support each other and hopefully keep the wolves of the tabloids at bay as much as they can.

Back
Top Bottom