What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: I don't see how it would affect the Duke and his roll. The club has always had a royal patron, and considering it is the queen, a very high profile one. I doubt there will be any change in the Duke of Kent's role as president. He inherited the presidency from his mother Marina who served for 26 years. The president is a more active member, sitting on the board of directors for the private club (separate from the championships). Along with his numerous patronages, DOK is the president of a number of groups, presidency considered a different commitment then a simple patron.
Well, the difference is that Kate would probably be a very active patron while the Queen has (if I remember correctly) gone to 2-4 matches or something of the sort during all her years. So the Duke has taken on the role of handing out prizes and being present at the games. Kate will probably be present at quite a few but as a patron and not president has less "commitment" to having to go to many. My guess is that the two roles will merge a bit publically but keep very different roles internaly. I can see both Kate and the Duke handing out prizes, going to galas and watching the games while he will probably be more of a constant presence. But I personally dont know what really is the difference between the roles. For example, what is the difference in duties for William being President of FA and Royal Marsden compared to him being patron of charities?

The Queen's Wimbledon patronage isn't really high profile. She is only been there 4 times. With a 33 year gap behind the most recent one in 2010 and 1977. Kate has been there every year but when she was 9 months pregnant with George since she married.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

There is more to Wimbledon then the tournament.

Yes, Kate may attend Wimbledon every year and hand out trophies. That is her roll as patron. She is the visual figure, the person who brings even more attention to events. Yes, the DOK attends and hands out trophies, but this is more as a 'royal' then because of his role.

The Duke is the president of the actual club. The club runs and operates 365 days a year, and Wimbledon championship is only a portion of the club. Yes, a massive one, but a portion. It has a board of directors like any company, to over see the running of its operations. The championship itself has its own board of directors. The DOK is a member of the club's board of directors, and as president, over sees the running of the every day business of the club.

It is not the president's job to attend Wimbledon championship. His role is with the club and not the championship. It is he role of the royal patron to attend the tournament. Hopefully Kate will take that seriously

How much is the DoK really that involved with the day to day operations? William is President of the FA, the Royal Mardsen and the BAFTAs. He isn't involved with the day to day operations of those organizations. William isn't going to be picking the next England manager or determining whether to buy a million pounds piece of hospital equipment.

If Kate does take on a Wimbledon role, I can see her emulating William with the FA trying to increase grassroots participation in tennis with youngsters.

How much is the DoK really that involved with the day to day operations? William is President of the FA, the Royal Mardsen and the BAFTAs. He isn't involved with the day to day operations of those organizations. William isn't going to be picking the next England manager or determining whether to buy a million pounds piece of hospital equipment.

If Kate does take on a Wimbledon role, I can see her emulating William with the FA trying to increase grassroots participation in tennis with youngsters.

Exactly. The president roles in these cases are not actual "roles" within the day to day work. They are cushion seats for someone like a royal that can bring interest or sometimes people who have contributed much money to something. It's a non-position when it comes to actual influence. It's windowdressing. And I'm not complaining, royalty is in general very much window dressing. But to think that because a royal has the title of president gives them more say or more to do than them being patron doesnt seem very likely. I'm sure there are some cases where the royals are more involved, but generally it's a title.

It is so disappointing that there are still no full time royals among the Queens grandchildren. Of course, two of them aren't expected to lead royal lives, but it seems that all 5 young HRHs have no real interest in the institution of which they are part.

It is so disappointing that there are still no full time royals among the Queens grandchildren. Of course, two of them aren't expected to lead royal lives, but it seems that all 5 young HRHs have no real interest in the institution of which they are part.

Its not a question of having an interest but going along with what the Firm has decided. The younger ones simply are not needed at this point in time. From what I've been seeing, Kate, William and Harry have really been out and about quite a bit more lately and if there's any level of disinterest in what they're doing, no one's been able to capture that on film yet.

Remember who it is that calls the shots when it comes to who does what. ;)

Of the queen's four of age grandchildren only 2 are expected to be full time royals. And get paid to be working royals at that. Bea and Eugenie it has been made clear they wont. Any events they do, and patronages (they both have several) they do on their own time and accord. Any money comes from dad from what he gets paid. They both have jobs, Bea in the US, and what events and patronage work they do is added.

Kate, Will and Harry, even doubling last years numbers barely breaks a 100 events. When you do 30 of those events in a tour (an hour visit here or there) that is less impressive still. I highly doubt if Kate said, the National Gallery is having an event and I am going to attend, anyone would argue.

Last edited:
Or, as has been said several times, there isn't the funding.

Oh... I sense another marathon of "why aren't the younger royals doing more?" incoming...

Its not a question of having an interest but going along with what the Firm has decided. The younger ones simply are not needed at this point in time. From what I've been seeing, Kate, William and Harry have really been out and about quite a bit more lately and if there's any level of disinterest in what they're doing, no one's been able to capture that on film yet.

But the point is that all 5 young HRHs only do as little as is expected of them. It would be nice to see at least William go above and beyond this. Charles and Anne have always exceeded expectations, as have both their parents.

But the point is that all 5 young HRHs only do as little as is expected of them. It would be nice to see at least William go above and beyond this. Charles and Anne have always exceeded expectations, as have both their parents.

The glaring fact remains that they can't. *Nothing* is done without the expressed approval of HM, The Queen. It also runs up expenses and as been stated, the funds for these events don't flow out of the River Thames.

Do you know how this all works? It might be a good idea to do some research into it before alluding that its the young 'uns saying no to working for Granny. ;)

:previous: Oh, please now. I sincerely doubt HM would throw a fit if either William, Catherine or Harry came to her, asking if they could work more. Let's not reach here ;)

Last edited:

Thank you Osipi. As with most monarchies the monarch/consort/ adult heir and consort along with other adult children of the monarch are the most visible. And that is ONLY if their nation's constitution permits the other children of the monarch to be official representatives. In recent years, we've seen the sister of the King of Spain removed from the Royal House and the Dutch royal house greatly limits who can participate on its behalf as well. Most monarchies do not have so many members as official representatives. The UK is in a unique situation as there are adult grandchildren and a spouse who are expected to perform engagements on behalf of QEII. The funding does not support so many members going out on engagements at this point in time. IMHO Charles is doing his best to provide financial assistance so that he and his four additional adult family members can go about on their engagements. If QEII needed her grandchildren to become full-time royals I have no doubt that she would make that known to them.

Last edited:
We have to remember too that everything in the BRF's "Firm" is like a well oiled machine and everything is planned out in minute detail right up to the execution.

Something like Kate seeing something coming up next week and wanting to go as an "official" duty may not cut it. We have to remember too that each and every place these royals go is arranged months in advance. Why? Well, first off, there is the venue itself. It needs to be cased out in advance for security reasons and potential trouble spots. Then the number of security forces are decided on and just where they will be positioned. There has to be enough time for the "word" to get out that this event is going to happen and what is the reason for it. Transportation needs to be decided on as which is the best, safest and least disruptive to use on this occasion. All of this preparation work costs money too. So the expenses do add up.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the way things are right now. There will be time enough in the future when the younger ones will be full time working royals and carry the brunt of the load.

William, Catherine and Harry are funded out of Charles' office which is funded by the Duchy of Cornwall. The Duchy of Cornwall supports 2 full-time royals (Charles and Camilla) and three part-time royals (William, Catherine and Harry). The Queen's duchy, the Duchy of Lancaster, along with the Sovereign Grant, supports 8 full-time royals and a few part-time royals. I doubt if the reason William, Catherine and Harry are not full-time royals is because of lack of resources, I also doubt if the Queen is dictating whether William, Catherine and Harry are full-time versus part-time royals, of course she could if she was so inclined, but I think that William, Catherine and Harry are more or less calling the shots with the support of the Queen and Prince Charles up and until something goes awry or there is widespread disapproval.

William's air ambulance contract is up next year. He has mentioned in an interview that will be it once the contract is over. Full time duties is coming up for the Cambridge's.

I think so too. They've had 5 years to settle into married life, start a family and gradually start feeling comfortable with doing different things that senior working royals do. They've had the opportunity to be hands on parents with their infant children and by the time next year rolls around, they'll be 4 and 2 and used to the structure of the Cambridge household.

I think too that we will see them living at KP for the most part and eventually George starting preschool in London much like William and Harry did when they were small.

The wheels of change are churning but they're well greased wheels that run smoothly.

:previous: Oh, please now. I sincerely doubt HM would throw a fit if either William, Catherine or Harry came to her, asking if they could work more. Let's not reach here ;)
the queen is a very frugal lady. If W and Kate wanted to fund their own engagements, I dont think she'd object, but that's not going to happen because they depend on Charles to pay for that side of their life.
And I think also the Queen wants to focus on Charles as her heir, in the next years so I think she's been happy to let Will and K and Harry gradually increase their workload, while she and Phil gradualy hand over to Charles and Cam. But she's not going to shell out for them to do more than a modest amount of engagements. As for the other HRHs, Bea and Eugenie they are not expected to do royal work, and will be private citizens

Last edited:
Lets not forget too that a lot of the public engagements that William, Harry and Kate do are not ones representing HM and the "Firm" but are related to their own Royal Foundation and their separate causes they're championing. This is an area I'm not totally sure how such events are funded.

WeThere has to be enough time for the "word" to get out that this event is going to happen and what is the reason for it. Transportation needs to be decided on as which is the best, safest and least disruptive to use on this occasion. All of this preparation work costs money too. So the expenses do add up.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the way things are right now. There will be time enough in the future when the younger ones will be full time working royals and carry the brunt of the load.
I think that in their earlier married life, there was a possibility that Kate could have done some more low level work, not engagements as such but something simpler.. but she's not one of the workers of the world, and she was IMO unlikely to volunteer herself for very much. And then as she and Wil have settled inot married life, she's had her children and she and he have had time to spend with them when they were little, which I think the queen now sees as important...

I'm of the mind that Kate has done quite a bit more than we, the public, have been privy to. The behind the scenes kind of thing. I remember when Kate was pregnant with George and in the hospital for HG, her charities weren't far from her mind and like their wedding, the Cambridge's requested donations rather than gifts. This is just one example.

Kate Middleton's baby registry to benefit charity? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Sorry but not sure why you think that her chairites weren't far from her mind when she was having George? I think it is a good idea to ask for donations to charities, rather than gifts as they are liable to get plenty of gifts for themselves and the children.. but that could just be PR on teh part of the Cambridges. I mus admit to not being a great Kate fan and feeling that in her "girlfriend" days living with Will, if she'd been inclined towards charity work, she could have done something quietly with say a detective in tow, before she got intot the royal round of engagements.
But their public engagements are another matter and I think that Charles and the queen are happy with the way things are, with W, Kate and Harry all not doing a lot of royal work, as yet, and gradually taking on more. Partly for financial reasons and partly for reasons of "status".. that HE, Charles is heir to the throne and will be king some time in the foreseeable future adn the queen wants him to be the focus rathter tahn William and K.

Sorry but not sure why you think that her chairites weren't far from her mind when she was having George? I think it is a good idea to ask for donations to charities, rather than gifts as they are liable to get plenty of gifts for themselves and the children.. but that could just be PR on teh part of the Cambridges. I mus admit to not being a great Kate fan and feeling that in her "girlfriend" days living with Will, if she'd been inclined towards charity work, she could have done something quietly with say a detective in tow, before she got intot the royal round of engagements.
But their public engagements are another matter and I think that Charles and the queen are happy with the way things are, with W, Kate and Harry all not doing a lot of royal work, as yet, and gradually taking on more. Partly for financial reasons and partly for reasons of "status".. that HE, Charles is heir to the throne and will be king some time in the foreseeable future adn the queen wants him to be the focus rathter tahn William and K.

Actually, she did. Kate and her family's business has been supporters of The Starlight Foundation since 2009. :D

I do agree with you 100% that the focus should be on Charles and we're gradually seeing more and more of a transition between the Queen and her heir. It just makes sense too that along with this process, we also can sense of transition between Charles and his heir too. This is the beauty of the continuity of the monarchy.

Her family's business, not her. I dont know of her ever doing any "hands on" charity work at all... Honeslty Im happy enough though
wtih her doing not very much because i much prefer charles....

I predict they will have another child in the next 2 years.

LaRae

I predict they will have another child in the next 2 years.

LaRae

I'd say very unlikely. Why would they have another child? They have 2, a boy and a girl, and they are close In age so they will be able to be cared for together and be company for each other. Kate is in her 30s now and has had problems with both pregnancies. And I believe she and WIll are going to have to gradually increase their workload, so I doubt if she woud want a third child.

What now for William & Catherine: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

The HG cleared up by the third month and she was able to resume activities so it's not like she was bed ridden for the whole thing. They were better able to handle the HG with Charlotte since she didn't have to go to hospital.

CP Victoria just had a baby at almost 40. Kate is only going to be 35 next year. The Queen was turning 38 the year she had Edward.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom