Wedding of William & Catherine: Television Coverage and Lead-Up Programs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lenora said:
You know for me she will remain "Kate".Well I just call her Kate till she becomes Princess of Wales.

Yes, I will as well most likely call her Kate till she she is Princess of Wales or Duchess of wherever....but not Princess Catherine/Kate as she will not be a princess in her own right (but that is a topic already covered on another thread!! Appologies)

I hope we get to see that too!!
I loved SVT's coverage of Victoria and Daniel's wedding last year! They had such extensive coverage - I hope we are as fortunate with William and Catherine's wedding!

Still trying to get use to calling her Catherine and not Kate!! :)

Somehow I don't find such extensive coverage "fitting" for the British Royal Family and I would be surprised if they would actually go for that.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like it, but I don't see it happening.

I do agree about the Kate/Catherine name thing - here I call her Catherine (or I at least try to keep it in mind) but in private I just call her Kate. Kate rolls off my tongue easier than Catherine, possibly also because we have gotten used to it through the years. The name Catherine sounds so chic, upscale to me. Maybe it will change after the wedding.

I am inclined to agree with you. Doesn't seem to be their style. We will probably see what we've always seen from the BRF - arrivals, departures, balcony and not much else is my guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was mentioned that the only time we ever got extensive coverage was Princess Margret's wedding when they let camera's into BP while they were arriving for the wedding breakfast. I wouldn't mind getting a pic or two like that and that's good enough for me. I know I sound selfish wanting more coverage seeing as it is their big day but in a sense I sometimes feel like family(ok maybe wrong word) and I just want to be part of the joy of the day in every aspect you know? I hope someone can get where I'm coming from here.

I do agree about the Kate/Catherine name thing - here I call her Catherine (or I at least try to keep it in mind) but in private I just call her Kate. Kate rolls off my tongue easier than Catherine, possibly also because we have gotten used to it through the years. The name Catherine sounds so chic, upscale to me. Maybe it will change after the wedding.

I love the name Catherine, it was always one of those names I could see myself using if I ever had a daughter one day, truly one of my favourite girl's names (and strangely enough William has always been one of my favourite boy's names...and not because of PW/KM, just always loved those particular names ;) )

I'll get used to calling her Catherine (since in my opinion it is much nicer than Kate, just as William is nicer than Will/Bill or any other shortening) & already now am getting used to reading it/hearing it/saying it etc but I'm just quite lazy when it comes to typing so I'll probably more often than not type Kate through sheer laziness! Lol.

It was mentioned that the only time we ever got extensive coverage was Princess Margret's wedding when they let camera's into BP while they were arriving for the wedding breakfast. I wouldn't mind getting a pic or two like that and that's good enough for me. I know I sound selfish wanting more coverage seeing as it is their big day but in a sense I sometimes feel like family(ok maybe wrong word) and I just want to be part of the joy of the day in every aspect you know? I hope someone can get where I'm coming from here.

I am different.

I want the young people to have the chance to enjoy some of the day without the world watching what, for most people, is a joyous day shared with family and friends and not a billion strangers. I respect that and wish the everyone else would respect them as people and allow them some time that day to be able to let their guard down a bit knowing that the world wasn't watching. It will be a tense enough day for them without having no time alone without the cameras broadcasting everything.

ghost_night554 said:

I get where you're coming from and I don't think you're selfish. All royal weddings should have extensive coverage if you ask me...they shouldn't be royals if they're not willing to be covered and watched by billions. They forfeit they're "privacy" by being a royal.

Really? I don't think you mean that. Think about what you just said and ask yourself if it makes any sense.

If you actually think that royals forfeit their privacy by virtue of being royals, then I suppose you'd have no problem with someone videotaping William and Catherine consummating their marriage. Because as you just said, they have no privacy. I guess this means they should have listening devices installed in every room of their home, cameras in the bathrooms to catch them on the toilet, people hiding in the bushes with cameras and microphones, paparazzi in cars to chase them down the street (because what on earth could possibly go wrong there?), a camera in the delivery room when Catherine gives birth, zoomed in nice and close on her vagina so we can see the baby's head coming out, and a whole host of other totally invasive, privacy-busting measures.

Because like you said, hey.....they're royals. Privacy is for common people! Screw their rights to dignity and basic human decency! I demand to see William taking a poo break.

For me the gold standard of wedding coverage is Victoria & Daniels. Was so much fun to see the goings on during the day, even if I didn't understand a word of it!! LOL

In any case, I know I will be happy regardless of how much or how little they show! I love weddings!! :)

I understand the whole privacy issue and trust me I am in no way against it but what's so hard about releasing one picture from the reception isn't that what Prince Willem - Alexander and Princess Maxima did?

Sister Morphine said:
Really? I don't think you mean that. Think about what you just said and ask yourself if it makes any sense.

If you actually think that royals forfeit their privacy by virtue of being royals, then I suppose you'd have no problem with someone videotaping William and Catherine consummating their marriage. Because as you just said, they have no privacy. I guess this means they should have listening devices installed in every room of their home, cameras in the bathrooms to catch them on the toilet, people hiding in the bushes with cameras and microphones, paparazzi in cars to chase them down the street (because what on earth could possibly go wrong there?), a camera in the delivery room when Catherine gives birth, zoomed in nice and close on her vagina so we can see the baby's head coming out, and a whole host of other totally invasive, privacy-busting measures.

Because like you said, hey.....they're royals. Privacy is for common people! Screw their rights to dignity and basic human decency! I demand to see William taking a poo break.

I take Crown Princess's comments to mean that in regards to events like a wedding, that they should be more open as they are public figures (funded by tax monies). That at moments like this there is, for want of a better phrase, an obligation to "put on a show", otherwise what is the point of it all. Perhaps, IMO, that is the spirit in which it was meant? :)

Last edited:
ghost_night554 said:

Yes, I totally get where you are coming from!! Watching Victoria & Daniel's wedding, you did, in a small way, feel part of the day because you saw so much! Was lovely!

Exactly! It was my first huge foreign royal wedding and to be given so much access felt amazing it definitely felt like both Daniel and Victoria wanted us to be part of the whole day with them.So now not to have such full access with William and Kate feels odd IMO Daniel and Victoria definitely spoiled us rotten! :p

IMO on such big occasions and surely even William being as private as he is should understand this to an extent the whole world just wants to be with you on your day and celebrate with you they're happy for you and wants to show that. I mean yes I'm happy we're even getting to see it but IMO I never once even thought they would make it a private wedding considering William's future role I just IMO have never understood the resistance to release just one picture from the reception. All the other royals do it I mean it's not like we're asking for video of it just one measly picture and please don't tell me they don't have time to pose for one. It surely won't ruin the privacy of that moment. If it was video then IMO I'd understand it being uncomfortable then I'd say okay that's the couple's decision.

Last edited:
As your lovely avatar shows, they are (in some ways) breaking with tradition. Who knows, we may get a picture or two from the reception! (here's hoping - right?!?! :) )

...yup!, Victoria and Daniel totally spoiled us rotten!. Could not have wanted for more!!! :D

You never know they could surprise us! I sure hope so!^ *fingers crossed*

Sister Morphine said:

Yes I do mean that actually and it makes lots of sense to me.
What doesn't make sense to me and what is way left field to me is how far you went into their private lives! I find it very offensive that you would think I would want to see Kate's private, her childbirth or Will on the john. I was not talking about their "consummation". Come on that is definitely definitely private. If you read my post thoroughly you would see that I said royal "weddings" should be covered and watched by billions.

Whether we like it or not royals do not have privacy. I'm sorry but being royal does mean you forfeit your privacy because you are not your own anymore. Common people (as you put it) indeed have a lot more privacy, that's common sense. I'm definitely not saying they should have cameras etc, cause that's pathetic. Like the saying "to whom much is given, much is required"...that goes for royals too. You took what I said way to literal. If you don't understand what I'm saying ask me and I'll gladly tell you. Bottom line: royals will never have privacy...except for the extremely personal moments that you mentioned above.

Queen Penelope summed it up nicely:

Queen Penelope said:
I take Crown Princess's comments to mean that in regards to events like a wedding, that they should be more open as they are public figures (funded by tax monies). That at moments like this there is, for want of a better phrase, an obligation to "put on a show", otherwise what is the point of it all. Perhaps, IMO, that is the spirit in which it was meant? :)

Last edited:
Yes I do mean that actually and it makes lots of sense to me.
What doesn't make sense to me and what is way left field to me is how far you went into their private lives! I find it very offensive that you would think I would want to see Kate's private, her childbirth or Will on the john. I was not talking about their "consummation". Come on that is definitely definitely private. If you read my post thoroughly you would see that I said royal "weddings" should be covered and watched by billions.

Whether we like it or not royals do not have privacy. I'm sorry but being royal does mean you forfeit your privacy because you are not your own anymore.

If they don't have privacy then the above comment can be justified - that might seem to go too far but how far is too far? In the past royals were subjected to that sort of scrutiny - do we really want to go back to the middle ages and have the royals live their lives in public with no real privacy?

Common people (as you put it) indeed have a lot more privacy, that's common sense. I'm definitely not saying they should have cameras etc, cause that's pathetic. Like the saying "to whom much is given, much is required"...that goes for royals too. You took what I said way to literal. If you don't understand what I'm saying ask me and I'll gladly tell you. Bottom line: royals will never have privacy...except for the extremely personal moments that you mentioned above.

The point though is how much should the public have access to the royals? Currently the BRF have a lot of private time and that is absolutely right. They are human beings with feelings and needs as well and that includes the right to be able to relax with close friends and family on special days after having the world watching their nuptials.

Shouldn't they be able to have some part of their day with just their family and friends?

Surely the procession through the streets, having the world watch the ceremony and being able to cheer them as they start their lives together from the balcony should be enough invasion from the public into the events of their day.

After that they should be able to relax with just their family and friends.

That is what we had with the Queen's children and that was more than what we got with the Queen, where if you weren't in London you didn't get to see anything live.

If they allow more this generation then the next generation will be expected to go further and the sort of scenario described above may very well be expected.

Some privacy isn't too much to expect for anyone and that includes having some time just with their family and friends.

Maybe the Scandinavians are happy having the world in their private lives but the Windsors haven't done so in the past and I hope they don't.

Queen Penelope summed it up nicely:

You disagree - and that is the attitude that lead to William losing his mother at such a young age - the attitude of some of the public to the idea that they had a right to know everything about her life - result high speed chase through the streets and death. I don't actually blame the paps for her death as much as her fans - they killed her and if the idea of the royals having no privacy is common it will see more of them killed so that the public can see them in private moments that they want to keep private but the public believe they have a right to see.

The idea that taxpayers have a right to see things because they are paying for it is wrong as the British taxpayers don't pay William, Kate or most of the royals. The pay the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh only and the official expenses of the rest of the family - i.e. just like any employer who reimburses employees for work related expenses. Security is paid for of course but that is just the job of certian members of the police force who would either be protecting someone else or be unemployed.

Yes but one photo from the reception surely won't hurt. Then they can go ahead and enjoy the rest of the day. If they're able to release the official photos done in the Throne Room then why can't they with them throw in one photo of them I dunno posing in front of their cake. I'm not going to get into the whole Diana thing but I don't think it's the same situation as a Royal Wedding let's not forget Diana was divorced and had dismissed her bodyguards. I would never ask them to go to the level that Daniel and Victoria did IMO that was their choice no one forced them. But it seems like all other foreign royals are able to release a photo of the reception with no fuss. It's not as if that one photo will disrupt the rest of their day they can still enjoy in private with family and friends. I don't think it will lead us to asking for more and more cause IMO I could care less about what they do in private on a daily basis but I think this is a different situation and I think alot of people will be very interested and want to see as much coverage as possible.

Yes but one photo from the reception surely won't hurt. Then they can go ahead and enjoy the rest of the day. If they're able to release the official photos done in the Throne Room then why can't they with them throw in one photo of them I dunno posing in front of their cake. I'm not going to get into the whole Diana thing but I don't think it's the same situation as a Royal Wedding let's not forget Diana was divorced and had dismissed her bodyguards. I would never ask them to go to the level that Daniel and Victoria did IMO that was their choice no one forced them. But it seems like all other foreign royals are able to release a photo of the reception with no fuss. It's not as if that one photo will disrupt the rest of their day they can still enjoy in private with family and friends. I don't think it will lead us to asking for more and more cause IMO I could care less about what they do in private on a daily basis but I think this is a different situation and I think alot of people will be very interested and want to see as much coverage as possible.

What you are asking for is more than they have done in the past. Where does it end?

Why not be happy with what they give us and let them have the rest of the day for themselves and allow them some privacy?

It ends there all I'm asking is for one measly photo I don't think it's that hard to produce. I'm not asking for video, I'm not asking for pictures of them dancing nor am I asking to hear the speeches in full nothing else all I'm only asking for is one measly picture of them perhaps posing near their wedding cake no other members need to be in it just William and Kate that's it. The picture would take 1 second to be taken and then all camera's would leave and that's it they would have the full rest of the night to themselves and the next day and on their honeymoon I'm not asking for that much!And actually they have given us more in the past. When Princess Margret was married cameras were for the first time allowed inside BP and rolled while the guests came inside and went up the stairs. I'm just saying that yes Victoria and Daniel was alot and in no way am I asking for that much but take for example the way Prince Ranier and Princess Grace did it or Princess Maxima and Prince Willem- Alexander who both released one photo from the wedding reception. This allowed the people to feel like they were there and yet wasn't disruptful to the wedding itself.

Last edited:
With all the hours of goings on leading up to the ceremony, the procession to the Abbey, the ceremony itself and procession back to BP with the balcony kiss, that is quite enough for me and I'd be happy with it. The public is going to have full coverage of the entire wedding itself which is the main event of the day and I think its fitting that the bride and groom be allowed to enjoy their receptions with just family and friends. I imagine there will be photogs there to get the pics of the people arriving for the evening reception which should give us plenty of bling to gawk at but I don't feel we need to see the actual receptions themselves. After a long and stressful wedding day, they need time to themselves to just relax and actually enjoy their wedding parties.

Who would take this photo though? When would it be released?

If it is to be all the photographers who have been doing the filming then it is a huge effort to get them in and out.

If one specific photographer (having been at a series of events in this past year with a formal photographer they can take ages to get the one posed photo with the cake etc - not just a second - at my ball last May it took 15 minutes to get the photo my photographer wanted of me in my gear - he wanted it perfect.)

The official photographs of the wedding party will be released after a day or so, or even late in the evening in Britain but wanting anything from the reception - no - let them relax and enjoy that without having to be all formal for outsiders and total strangers.

I don't want to see photos from inside receptions of people I don't know and these are people I don't know.

For once I agree with Iluvbertie; I don't feel the need to see a picture of the reception either.
What matters to me is the arrival at the Abbey, the wedding ceremony, the procession back to Buckingham Palace and the balcony appearance. That is what we will get to see (at least I assume that) and that is what, to me, is most important.

I think what CP Victoria and Daniel of Sweden did was extraordinary, but it has not raised my expectations/hopes for the British royal family. Sweden is Sweden and Great Britain is Great Britain, different countries with different habits.

I am Dutch and yes, CP Willem-Alexander and Máxima released a picture from their wedding reception (cutting the cake) but frankly I didn't care for it.

I for one am mostly interested in the official part and that is what will be available for the viewers to see.

I do understand where the ones who want (more) extensive coverage come from, but I don't share that view.

Please note that posts regarding the wedding of Prince Albert of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock have been deleted as off topic.

Yay! Some of the national news channels here in Canada have sites dedicated to the royal wedding up!!

...can't wait!! Going to be such a fun day!! :)

:previous: yes the CBC and the other media outlets here do a great job covering royal events cant wait

Who would take this photo though?
Well the official photographer who takes the regular photos would take it. And well if you mean people you don't know then I guess your referring to William and Kate then cause those would be the only people I'm thinking of. Okay even if it were to take 15 mins tops they'd still have the whole night to themselves. They wouldn't have to be formal. I mean WA and Maxima's photo didn't look staged it just looked like something that happened in the moment and was quickly captured kinda like the one of Diana kneeling down to one of her bridesmaids inside BP. Anyways I get some people don't want the photo and that's fine but I and others too do. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens that day.

Tlc

From TLC's website:

TLC has teamed up with ITV Studios America to produce a special week-long Royal lineup featuring Royal editions of some of TLC's most popular series, including a special that focuses on both British and American hoarders and extreme collectors of royal memorabilia. Also included throughout the week are specials with archived and exclusive footage of the Royal family, interviews with members of the Royal family as well as those who have been part of notable Royal events across the decades, and a special round table discussion with Royal experts and a celebrity host, leading into the network's live early morning coverage of the event Friday, April 29. The weekend will also feature a special shortened version of the wedding and all the memorable moments leading up to it.

So I've figured out how I'm going to celebrate basically the night before the wedding I'm going to cook dinner foor my family and I've never cooked dinner for my family so this will be interesting have no clue what in the heck I'm supposed to make since my family is super picky with food and I want to do a dinner that is leaning towards a traditional british dinner. I'm thinking of doing a roast chicken with veggies and rice or something I dunno but I'll soon figure that out then we'll toast the couple then watch the TLC specials. Wedding morning I'm going to get up and make some orange juice and coffee and perhaps do some crackers with cream cheese if I get hungry. Then when they go off for their lunch we will make our own english breakfast and that night I'm thinking we'll either go out and celebrate or we'll have the tradtional fish and chips.

I also have my outfit set I'll be wearing my crown neckalace with my tiara and sweatoutfit that has a crown on the pants and the jacket. Won't be the first time I've fallen asleep in my regular clothes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom