Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article has some neat information about the abbey

The Secrets of Westminster Abbey

I like the bit about the different tombs. Martin Luther King is actually a statue above the doors she will enter, among the 20th century martyrs. Or there is only a memorial to Churchill because he refused to be buried there, said no one walks over him. Or while Elizabeth I's tomb is tired and worn, Mary Queen of Scott's is opulent and she looks angelic. It likely has to do with James I, Elizabeth's successor, being Mary's son. I guess if you don't want your tomb to look bad, you shouldn't behead your successor's mother. A lot of great people, even Darwin and Newton, are buried there. I went on a tour, its incredible being in that church.

Martin Luther King? Huh?

texankitcat said:
Martin Luther King? Huh?

That's what the article says, I though it was weird too, maybe the author means Martin Luther-? Or is it actually MLK? Anyone been to the Abbey know? I went years ago but don't remember ......

Last edited:
Interesting. Not sure why MLK would be immortalized at West Minster Abbey.

He was a man of deep religious faith who fought for freedom - a perfect candidate.

Look at it this way - if he had been British he would probably have been buried there.

Westminster Abbey 20th Century martyrs on Western facade

Interesting. Not sure why MLK would be immortalized at West Minster Abbey.

"
After the restoration of the western towers of the Abbey had been completed in 1995 it was decided to fill the ten gothic niches above the west doorway with statues. The lower part of the towers are 15th century and the tops of the towers were completed in 1745. The niches had never had statues although it was obviously intended that they should. Instead of traditional figures or saints it was thought that martyrs of the 20th century should be remembered. The ten representative statues are intended to represent all those who have died in circumstances of oppression and persecution and are drawn from every continent and many Christian denominations: Kolbe from Poland, Manche Masemola from South Africa, Janani Luwum from Uganda, Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia, Martin Luther King jr. from the USA, Oscar Romero from El Salvador, Dietrich Bonhoeffer from Germany, Esther John from Pakistan, Lucian Tapiedi from Papua New Guinea and Wang Zhiming from China. The Archbishop of Canterbury unveiled the statues in the presence of HM The Queen. Four sculptors carried out the statues which are carved from French Richemont limestone. Photos of the statues can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library."

Martin Luther King Jr - Westminster Abbey

He was a man of deep religious faith who fought for freedom - a perfect candidate.

Look at it this way - if he had been British he would probably have been buried there.

I realize what he stood for, I am just surprised an American citizen is immortalized in Westminster Abbey.

"
After the restoration of the western towers of the Abbey had been completed in 1995 it was decided to fill the ten gothic niches above the west doorway with statues. The lower part of the towers are 15th century and the tops of the towers were completed in 1745. The niches had never had statues although it was obviously intended that they should. Instead of traditional figures or saints it was thought that martyrs of the 20th century should be remembered. The ten representative statues are intended to represent all those who have died in circumstances of oppression and persecution and are drawn from every continent and many Christian denominations: Kolbe from Poland, Manche Masemola from South Africa, Janani Luwum from Uganda, Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia, Martin Luther King jr. from the USA, Oscar Romero from El Salvador, Dietrich Bonhoeffer from Germany, Esther John from Pakistan, Lucian Tapiedi from Papua New Guinea and Wang Zhiming from China. The Archbishop of Canterbury unveiled the statues in the presence of HM The Queen. Four sculptors carried out the statues which are carved from French Richemont limestone. Photos of the statues can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library."

Martin Luther King Jr - Westminster Abbey

Now I see. Thank you for posting this! :flowers:

Harpist to welcome royal couple

Royal harpist Claire Jones has said she will welcome Prince William and Kate Middleton to Buckingham Palace with classical repertoire and the odd Welsh tune... Read full article here

The brouhaha over the upcoming nuptials comes across as a cheap attempt to re-sell the royal family during cheap political elections.

The brouhaha over the upcoming nuptials comes across as a cheap attempt to re-sell the royal family during cheap political elections.

Would you like to explain your comment further?

For me, the frenzy has started and this is where my interest sort of wains. The run up to the wedding appears as a frenzy, which for people like me, is harsh and frantic.

I'm spending a lot less time in the Forum and not reading everything, as I normally do. In plain terms, it gets rather boring.

I'm just waiting around for the wedding and the die-down afterwards, when we will discuss other things royal.

Royal wedding: a hen do to end all hen dos - Telegraph

Royal wedding: has Kate Middleton killed the hen party?

With a bit of luck, Kate Middleton's low-key pre-wedding girls' night in will be the hen do to end all hen dos

Here in Germany we mostly do a "Polterabend" : bride and groom together with their friends where old china and glasses are broken in order to keep bad ghosts at bay ("poltern" means making noise through letting things fall to the ground). Its traditionally the night before the wedding day and the bridal couple pays for the party.

"Junggesellenabschied" (Bachelors good-bye parties) are not soo common here, and happen if at all without much excentirics, more a grooms party where he and his friends get drunk and talk about the old times that never will be again...

I once was invited to a German-British wedding where the couple asked all to travel to Tobago. I was pregnant at the time so didnt go and later found out that while all the family and guests were there, the couple did not show up but had married quietly in London instead, leaving her father to pick up the bill for the fete in Tobago... The marriage ended in divorce.

What brouhaha? I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. A lot of people, especially here, have been waiting for these two to get married for years, and now that they are, it's exciting. It's fine if you don't share in that excitement, not everyone feels the same about things as other people might, but I think you're being unfair.

What brouhaha? I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. A lot of people, especially here, have been waiting for these two to get married for years, and now that they are, it's exciting. It's fine if you don't share in that excitement, not everyone feels the same about things as other people might, but I think you're being unfair.

I do have to admit that I find that there is a lot of overkill in the media and commercially running up to this wedding. I'm as excited as the next person and looking forward to watching the wedding but I'm not running out and buying a boat load of souvenirs and would avoid London at all costs on April 29th if I lived there. I do however like to speculate on what the wedding will be like, who's all going and the details of the day and that's what I come here for. :D

Some of those are positively comical! I do like the designs of Nick Vereos and Shirin Askari though. Both very regal IMO
I'm crossing my fingers for something lacy rather than plain silk

One month today! :D

Those were the two that I could actually see Kate wearing in Westminster Abbey.

So NBC back here in the States WILL BE covering the wedding starting at 3AM CST (Chicago). They will also have an Inside the Royal Wedding documentary to air that week. MSNBC will cover the wedding. ABC and CBS will too, but not as extensive as NBC. I am sure as with Diana and Sarah's weddings, and since all three networks have their morning shows on anyway, they will have coverage. Access Hollywood and Entertainment Tonight will also have coverage.

For those with cable, satellite, etc., BBC America will exclusively cover, uniterrupted, the feed from BBC...so the entire time will be all royal wedding, all day!!!!!!!!

So 3 AM in Chicago (I assume you mean CDT) will be 1AM in Seattle (PDT). With a good afternoon nap, that's doable! :flowers:

Yes there's been a lot of coverage for this wedding, but if you are @ the Prince William and Catherine Middleton Wedding Suggestions and Musings what would you expect?! I'm anticipating the upcoming ceremony so don't really mind all the crazy article been released daily, but can understand why others might be feeling sick already. btw, when I go check CNN and BBC websites, their focus is still in majority in Japan and Libya, so perhaps some should try to avoid the "Daily Mails" out there :flowers:

BBC News - Royal weddings of the past

Royal wedding: What past events were like

How I wish the RAF uniform worn by King George VI was still used. but I read somewhere they are not anymore.:(

So 3 AM in Chicago (I assume you mean CDT) will be 1AM in Seattle (PDT). With a good afternoon nap, that's doable! :flowers:
that's the spirit! though I can't complaint. It will be 9 am here my time (I think anyways...)

that's the spirit! though I can't complaint. It will be 9 am here my time (I think anyways...)

timeanddate.com --> (this link is great for anyone who wants to know what time the wedding will be in their areas)

If it's 3 a.m. in Chicago, it would be 5 a.m. in Sao Paulo, which is where I believe it says you're from. You're two hours ahead of Chicago, and four hours behind London time (GMT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom