Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Charles said, "All thy goods I with thee share.":) Someone, I believe at the reception, said, "He's got that right." Makes me think that the Spencers must have been VERY wealthy.;) I don't remember the wrong hand bit either.

I had known about the mix up on the names during the vows but I'd never heard about the worldly good part nor the wrong hand for the wedding ring.

Last edited:
I think...there are other colors of sweet william and that would be awesome.
Also it would be neat if they would do flowers based on the mediaeval and renaissance and Victorian traditions of flowers' meanings.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals

baby's breath: purity, innocence and the beauty of the holy spirit (likely why like wearing white, brides traditionally have in bouquets)
bluebells:constancy and humility, both part of traditional vows
carnations: among their meanings joy and devoted love, but don't use white, white carnations represent refusal of this.
dahlia: dignity, ellegance, and forever thine
daisy: loyal love, patience, simplicity
forget me nots: true love and memories
roses: red passion, white purity, pink happiness, yellow though is now considered a sign of friendship is actually a sign of infidelity

I'd like a beautiful more wild flower feel, than some formal bunch of roses or lilies. Some color would be nice against her gown as well, and not sweeping waterfall boquet either.

I think at both civil and church weddings, at the end of the ceremony the vicar or officiant says to the groom "you may kiss your bride" or something like that. But as far as I am aware this has never happened at a British royal wedding. Frederik and Mary kissed each other just before they walked down the aisle - maybe for William and Kate we'll see a kiss other than on the balcony?!:kiss:

Most men who don't wear a ring, are either insecure about men wearing jewelry, or they want to flirt with women in bars and not be known as married. The excuse 'people know I'm married' one strangers don't and 2 do women not wear rings because people know they are married?

Grooms have wedding rings, it is part of the ceremony, a required part. I am pretty sure considering how formal the royal family is, and the fact he couldn't flirt in a bar if he tried, William will wear one.

There is no requirement for a wedding ring for either the bride or the groom. It is traditional for the bride to have one, but double ring ceremonies are quite new.

I am sure William will have a wedding ring, like his father and grandfather, but I don't think he'll wear it on his "wedding ring" finger. They wear the wedding ring on the pinkie, under their signet ring. However, he might wear it like commoners do, but it doesn't matter.

Thats an interesting fact!
I didnt know that?
Thank you for that!

I believe it was customary for a male to not wear a wedding ring, per Anglican custom.

Again that is a new one to me.
I was raised in australia 50 50 catholic anglican roughly in the 60s
Most of the men i knew wore wedding rings.
But thank you again.

I believe it was customary for a male to not wear a wedding ring, per Anglican custom.

Skippy, you'll be sad to note that the origin of the wedding ring was to indicate the woman was "chattel." The rings were made of iron or some other worthless metal. Men didn't regularly wear wedding rings until the 20th century, and then only because the ring makers convinced women that their husbands needed one.

EVERYTHING is money driven.

Also, kissing at the altar is not an Anglican tradition, but since it will be a "modern" wedding, they might.

Although there are standard ring vows spoken by the bride on giving the ring in a civil ceremony, I'm not so sure if this is the case for a religeous ceremony.

I seem to remind that Charles gave Diana a ring with the words he spoke after the Archbishop had told him the words to say: "With this ring I thee wed...." But I can't recall if Diana said something similar. I guess not, somehow.

Skippy, you'll be sad to note that the origin of the wedding ring was to indicate the woman was "chattel." The rings were made of iron or some other worthless metal. Men didn't regularly wear wedding rings until the 20th century, and then only because the ring makers convinced women that their husbands needed one.

No, I am not sad to note that. It doesn't sound totally new to me.

EVERYTHING is money driven.

I do not totally agree with that. An awful lot is money driven, I'll second that. But not all.

Also, kissing at the altar is not an Anglican tradition, but since it will be a "modern" wedding, they might.

Hmmm, we'll see.

Of course this wedding will be a modern wedding, it's not taking place in 1657.

RE: the flowers - Sweet Williams are one of the many Dianthus'es (Dianthus barbatus) aka 'pinks' - smallish flowers, short stems and not terribly long lasting when cut, not one I choose from my garden for bouquets for these reasons. I must be in the minority - I love the humongous waterfall bouquets w/ green in them, but I'm a flower nut, so I'm undoubtedly biased.

What I would love is to see Catherine with a very vibrant bouquet, since she'll more than likely be wearing white or an off-white dress. Something that really stands out. Dark red roses with a white satin band around the stems would be absolutely gorgeous, as would dark red roses surrounding pure white roses in the center.

What I would love is to see Catherine with a very vibrant bouquet, since she'll more than likely be wearing white or an off-white dress. Something that really stands out. Dark red roses with a white satin band around the stems would be absolutely gorgeous, as would dark red roses surrounding pure white roses in the center.
That's very great idea,showing passionate love and purity of feelings at once!

I love both of these ideas it looks so classic aganist a white or off white dress...

I make flowers for weddings as a hobby, my friend (who is from Russia) got married last week and I made her a bouquet of red and white roses with silver satin around the steams (as her dress was a very sexy silver bit) they looked amazing ... if I do say so myself lol

Last edited:
I seem to remind that Charles gave Diana a ring with the words he spoke after the Archbishop had told him the words to say: "With this ring I thee wed...." But I can't recall if Diana said something similar. I guess not, somehow.

Maybe not in Anglican. In Catholic, lutheran and alliance weddings i have been to, the bride repeats the same vows as the man does, including during the ring. I have never been to a civil ceremony, in Canada you don't have both. Either you have a religious, where you sign the contract as well, or a civil with a justice of the piece. I have only been to religious. I know Sophie didn't say anything when she put Edward's ring on.

As Kate will probably follow the tradition of the bridal bouquet being placed at the Tomb of the Unknown, it will most probably be large.

But who knows....

Mia_mae said:
That's what I though too. The only kiss I was expecting to see was at the balcony (and even that one isn't 100% certain):p!

If I remember correctly CH did annouce at the begining of planning there would be a balcony kiss....

I know some men who don't wear a wedding ring purely because they know people know they 're married and don't want to wear the ring- wedding rings while encouraged are not manadatory becauses a ring is not s marriage .... I personally believe plp should as a sign of respect to their spouse if nothing else wear their rings but some plp don't....I am sure William will ....

You would probably be surprised to learn that a lot of single men slip on a wedding ring when they go out to the clubs because a lot of women are drawn to the ring, flirt outragiously with the supposed "married" men with the idea that they can have a no strings one nighter. It can be quite an effective tool in pulling for the night.

You would probably be surprised to learn that a lot of single men slip on a wedding ring when they go out to the clubs because a lot of women are drawn to the ring, flirt outragiously with the supposed "married" men with the idea that they can have a no strings one nighter. It can be quite an effective tool in pulling for the night.

Really, I find that kind of pathetic and scary to say the least....:ermm:

Last edited:
NGalitzine said:

Actually doesn't surprise me at all... My husband gets hit on more with his ring then before we were married for sure, luckily he's happily marrired ;) .....but some men and women are sleazy!

And since European culture became Christian, it's become a symbol of eternity and divinity.

Some gals love a challenge.;)

Actually doesn't surprise me at all... My husband gets hit on more with his ring then before we were married for sure, luckily he's happily marrired ;) .....but some men and women are sleazy!

I love the hybrid roses that are a mix of colors: the white with red-tipped petals, or the yellow with red spots, or white with pink streaks.
I think they would be gorgeous (nothing lovelier than roses, imo) and rather unique.

There's a rose called Fire & Ice that looks incredible!

I have to disagree with both of you. The British Royal family has always been famous in the US and around the world. Millions watched when she married Prince Charles because the heir to the throne was getting married...not because he was marrying Diana, the most famous woman on the planet. The world....and I might add, the GROOM barely knew her. It wasn't Diana that made the Royal family famous. The Royal family made HER famous when she married the heir to the throne.

William getting married IS a big deal because he IS 2nd in line to the throne. Not because he is Diana's son. Diana doesn't factor into any part of my interest in this wedding other than sadness for him that his mother isn't there to share this special time. I remember when William was born, and I have watched with interest as both of these boys have survived the loss and grown up to become exceptional men. I am thrilled to be able to witness William marry such a lovely young woman who doesn't have a title and who he obviously respects and adores.

Charles was at one time the fairy tale Prince...and WHOMEVER he married was going to be big news. Thats why pretty much everyone woman he was linked too was stalked by the Press. It just so happened it was Diana.

We also have to remember that Diana married into the BRF and not the other way around. When history is read 300 years from now, she will be but a blip on the page. 1981-1997. Her time in the BRF. What is the legacy is what remains to be seen as William gets older and brings the best of both his parents to the monarchy.

Yeah, what they said.

Stag is staged this week-end for sure. Prince Harry will fly to Norway on Monday to join four badly injured Afghan war veterans who are attempting to walk to the North Pole.

The team left Gatwick for Oslo yesterday on the first stage of their journey to the top of the world. They aim to raise £2 million for the Walking With The Wounded charity. Prince Harry will be back 10 days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom