Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wymanda, the palace designers are not doing her dress it's just that to avoid problems of being stakled by the media they offer the palace to the - yet unknown - designer to create the dress into the palace but not by the palace designers. It's not the same thing.

Gulf Times ? Qatar?s top-selling English daily newspaper - Britain/Ireland

What Jewelry Will Kate Middleton Borrow From Queen Elizabeth? - ABC News

telegraphjournal.com - Two stamps coming to commemorate royal wedding - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
wymanda, the palace designers are not doing her dress it's just that to avoid problems of being stakled by the media they offer the palace to the - yet unknown - designer to create the dress into the palace but not by the palace designers. It's not the same thing.

I think that that is what is being meant. The dress created by outbound designers but inside the palace.

Correct. The Grand Duchess greeted the Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark upon arrival at the cathedral and they stood beside her at the front of the congregation during the ceremony.

The Russian Orthodox Churchs' hierarchy has all but made their position quite clear over the years, and it's somewhat widely known that Maria has their favour.

Members of the Nikolaevichi branch were present in Copenhagen during the Danish service and farewell. I do believe some members also attended the service in St Petersburg, but seemed to have played second fiddle to Maria.

And for unintentionally taking the topic down an entirely unrelated path, I shall best leave it there ;)

Madame Royal, I was just wondering when I posted my question, no one gave me a direct answer to my query if the pretender to the throne of Prussia or Russia would be invited instead it lead to a discussion on to who is the legitimate pretender to the Russian Imperial Throne. I do believe that Maria has the strongest claim to the headship and the Spanish Royals as well as the Yugoslav Royal Family have acknowledged her as they both sent condolences to her when her mother Grand Duchess Leonida died contrary to the Danish Royal family who recognizes Prince Nicholas Romanoff. But my question was left unaswered, I mean look at the wedding of Prince Charles to Lady Diana, pretenders to the Bulgarian and Romanian throne were invited and that was a state occasion for it was the heir, but remember Princess Alexandra's marriage? Almost a hundred royals from all over Europe were invited both reigning and non reigning as well as Asian Royals were invited as she was far from being heir at that time until now though.

I think that that is what is being meant. The dress created by outbound designers but inside the palace.

That isn't what I meant.!

HM has an inhouse design team headed by Angela Kelly.

This is just speculation by an internet blog writer. There is no actual factual information that 'the wedding dress' is being made inside Buckingham Place. Either by an outside designer (kind of unlikely, why BP, not Clarence House or St James' as both of those are the places actually being used by William and Kate?) or the Queen's design team headed by Angela Kelly.

One fact : just a few weeks after the engagement, buckimgham palace asked several fashion experts and fashion editors to give their first choice of designer for the wedding gown. This was reported by the Telegraph and confirmed by the fashion editor of VOGUE UK. So why asked from a panel of experts in fashion to give a few names able to create the dress of the centary if it's to give the job to a very conservative lady who dresses the Queen? For me it is pure non sense. There is to be several copies and repliqua of this gown so better give the job to a real designer. The Queen's one is certainly not very adventurous.

a very conservative lady who dresses the Queen? The Queen's one is certainly not very adventurous.

Ms Kelly & her team do not get a chance to be "adventurous". She currently dresses The Queen, an 80+ year old lady who, by the nature of her age & her role has to be "Conservative".
She may be itching for the chance to design a dress that has the opportunity to become iconic.

Whomever the designer/tailor of "The Gown" is, I don't believe the objective is to be adventurous. What will this gown symbolize; the lengths Catherine will go to don certain attire to be the center of attention? What image does she want to convey? Catherine is very discreet and humble, she is also very traditional nevertheless she is forward-looking, open-minded...and obviously she is ecstatic and in love. How does she portray those qualities while "adhering" to the regality of the Abby? What designer/tailor can assist her in meeting this goal...if it is her goal? This day, this dress symbolizes more than just its cohesion with her eyes or her hair or her weight or height or complexion...although on a lighter note these items should be taken into consideration. Once again, from a marvel of technology...an iPhone, I articulate the former IMHO...

That isn't what I meant.!

HM has an inhouse design team headed by Angela Kelly.

Wow, gosh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you would be jumping all over me (by using the exclamation mark)... Sheesh :whistling:

On another note: dont you remember the forum BRITISH ROYAL WEDDING? what happens to it ? Any member on this forum could maybe give news about the former forum?

There's no way we can compare the house of Alexander McQueen to Bruce Oldfield. Let's not compare the talent of the late Alexander and now Sarah Burton to Bruce Oldfield. It's an insult.

I'd be pleased if Sarah is the designer, but Kate is no McQueen girl. Unless Sarah will design something that is not the aesthatics of the House. You can wear it or not. Though I must say, under Sarah Burton, McQueen clothes are much more wearable. There's one McQueen dress she'd be able to wear without looking too try-hard out of the sudden: Alexander McQueen Fall 2010 Ready-to-Wear Collection Slideshow on Style.com

It's an absolute exquisite dress. Couture at it's best.

I imagine she respects her fiancé's opinion, and also, wants to fit into the patterns accepted as Royal.

Hilarious choice of dress, though, HRHofNothing. It is somewhere out on one of the far edges of Sarah Burton design-alikes, just dreadfully poorly put together as well as crass. If it were sewn well and made of top quality fabrics and so forth, it would still be crass, but very memorable to wear down the aisle at Westminster.

(Memorable, but not in the good sense).

I think it's funny that it's on a site for "romantic" dresses.

I'm leaning more and more towards Victoria Beckham. She's been traveling to England for "work" on a regular basis.

:previous: I doubt its Victoria Beckham. Has her line expanded to wedding gowns yet?

I believe her traveling more and more to London has to deal with the fact that the Beckhams are moving back to England and she is getting things together (schools, home, etc) for the family.

I think it will not be Alexander McQueen's house...they are interesting designs, but not too reflective of Kate's personality. More of a Zara Phillips type of wedding dress and thus design house actually if you think about it.

Last edited:
Willem-Alexander & Máxima will be attending the Royal Wedding!

I just watched 'Blauw Bloed'; a dutch weekly royalty program and it had coverage on the state visit of Queen Beatrix, the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima to Qatar this week.
There were camera's when the dutch royal party said goodbye to Sheika Mozah of Qatar after attending a concert.
You could hear Máxima saying to Sheika Mozah; "Hopefully we will see you again in London or in Monaco."
So therefore I must conclude that at least Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima will attend the Royal Wedding in London, but also will be present at the wedding of Prince Albert of Monaco.
Great news!!
But it is still not clear to me whether Queen Beatrix will attend both royal weddings...

:previous: I doubt its Victoria Beckham. Has her line expanded to wedding gowns yet?

I believe her traveling more and more to London has to deal with the fact that the Beckhams are moving back to England and she is getting things together (schools, home, etc) for the family.

I think it will not be Alexander McQueen's house...they are interesting designs, but not too reflective of Kate's personality. More of a Zara Phillips type of wedding dress and thus design house actually if you think about it.
Nah, Zara is too muscular and 'chunky' to pull off most of the McQueen designs. People like Kate Moss, Cate Blanchett, they have McQueen written on them. I think Kate would translate well in Lanvin. Zara I could see in Elie Saab.
Alexander McQueen Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear Collection Slideshow on Style.com

Alexander McQueen Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear Collection Slideshow on Style.com

Last edited:
:previous: Body wise you are correct. But Zara isn't conservative in her dress or her career, and edgy enough to pull of a McQueen IMO.

Kate has the body type but her clothes haven't given off the edgy look since she did a stroll on the catwalk for a charity function. And that wasn't edgy just a little shocking.

I think you will definitely see WA and Maxima in London (and in Monaco). Not so sure about Queen Beatrix...not surprised by the King and Queen of Norway. They are fairly close. Any inkling on Haakon and Mette Marit? I wouldn't be shocked if all of them came.

I agree. Zara can really pull off something a bit more HF because she has the personality and not be all awkward about it. I don't see that in Kate. And to wear a McQueen, you have to have atleast a little of a 'I Don't Care' personality.

I can see Zara in Elie Saab or Oscar de la Renta. Kate in Lanvin or Alberta Ferretti.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think William and Catherine's wedding will be hats and dresses or suits for the ladies as it is in the morning...a bit like Prince Felipe and Letizia's wedding. Whereas Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock wedding will be tiaras and evening dresses as it is later in the day.

Why? From the way this team have turned the way HM dresses up so many notches (Even in Italy her clothes were considered Chic) they are a very talented bunch. Given the fact that the British economy is in such dire straits, thanks to the former labour government, it would be a way to show that consideration is being given to the difficult times. It wouldn't surprise me to see a dress designed by the in house team and created from fabric that was given to HM as a gift. We have already seen The Queen wear an evening gown created from fabric that was given to her many years ago. The dress in question was deemed to be a success.

There is a major difference though between a dress worn for a state function and one worn for a wedding, the most important day in a woman's life. Elizabeth II married 2 years after WWII when the country was still recovering, and yet she had a designer do her gown, that of her attendants,and many of the royal ladies in attendance as well.

As I've looked at numerous wedding dresses with Catherine in mind, I've come to the conclusion that one of the most elegant was Princess Margaret's dress.

She couldn't go wrong by choosing some updated version of this simple, elegant, princess-style gown, IMO. I could see it with a slimmer skirt and perhaps a lace veil.

There's no way we can compare the house of Alexander McQueen to Bruce Oldfield. Let's not compare the talent of the late Alexander and now Sarah Burton to Bruce Oldfield. It's an insult.

I'd be pleased if Sarah is the designer, but Kate is no McQueen girl. Unless Sarah will design something that is not the aesthatics of the House. You can wear it or not. Though I must say, under Sarah Burton, McQueen clothes are much more wearable. There's one McQueen dress she'd be able to wear without looking too try-hard out of the sudden: Alexander McQueen Fall 2010 Ready-to-Wear Collection Slideshow on Style.com

It's an absolute exquisite dress. Couture at it's best.

Alexander McQueen was an incredible designer, I'll give you that. But why is it an insult to compare Bruce Oldfield to him? Bruce Oldfield is an incredible couture designer, who has designed for royals and celebrities alike. They may have a very different fashion asthetic, but I don't see the insult there. I doubt if Alexander was alive, he'd be insulted to be compared to the talent level of Oldfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom