Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For heaven's sake there are numerous medications you can take &, given the fact that Catherine regularly attends the Polo with William, I'm pretty sure she already takes something to alleviate the symptoms. I would hazard a guess that they are not really that severe. She has also been seen regularly at the races so it can't be as bad as people on these boards are making out.

For heaven's sake, Wymanda: we are talking a closed carriage here, which is housed normally not far away from the stables and has been used in connection with horses for generations. A carriage where already somebody had problems with allergies before.

You're not Catherine's doctor - I'm neither, but I suffer from heavy allergies and the idea to come that close to animals I'm allergic to in a surrounding which is potentially poisoned by their hairs is simply terrible. Of course they could clean the carriage carefully and try their best but why should they if Catherine can come safely by car? Why should they take this risk?

The fact that she attends polo, raxces and can ride in open carriages is not a contradiction per se. Was she ever seen at the races in a stable or at the "ring" - so in really close contact to the horses? Or was she just a spectator further away? I've only ever seen pics of her further away from the horses and can't remember any hugs given to William in his riding clothes.

I am always amazed how people assume because one person has something (i.e. allergies) they have the same symptoms and experiences as another person. That's not the case at all.

That being said, we don't know the real reason why a car is being used to and a carriage from the Abbey. It could be the allergies, the cost effeciences, whatever. We will never know unless someone with insider knowledge speaks about it and gives their name. Cause unnamed Palace sources doesn't work for me all the time.

I read somewhere that responses to the wedding indicate that most people are disappointed in the choice of a car. They want the glass coach.

(I hope Kate and William reconsider).

I have a question. I am fairly new to this forum so I am not exactly sure how things work.......... Is there going to be a live chat on the day of the wedding so we can all ooh and aah her dress or chuckle if one of them flubs their vows?

For heaven's sake, Wymanda: we are talking a closed carriage here, which is housed normally not far away from the stables and has been used in connection with horses for generations. A carriage where already somebody had problems with allergies before.

You're not Catherine's doctor - I'm neither, but I suffer from heavy allergies and the idea to come that close to animals I'm allergic to in a surrounding which is potentially poisoned by their hairs is simply terrible. Of course they could clean the carriage carefully and try their best but why should they if Catherine can come safely by car? Why should they take this risk?

The fact that she attends polo, raxces and can ride in open carriages is not a contradiction per se. Was she ever seen at the races in a stable or at the "ring" - so in really close contact to the horses? Or was she just a spectator further away? I've only ever seen pics of her further away from the horses and can't remember any hugs given to William in his riding clothes.

I think the point Wymanda is trying to make is why does it have to be about hourse allergies and not for any number of entirely different reasons? The fact is that unless Kate chooses to share those reasons with the public, then we are all just speculating. It IS a personal choice and it IS her wedding day.

I, personally, don't even really see the big deal with her using a car on the way to the Church. I mean you'll get the horses & carriages on the way back to BP. You're not going to miss out on that aspect of pomp but it also allows for what I consider to be a nice symbolic gesture of Kate's position changing from commoner to Princess, car to carriage etc (whether this was intentional or not is entirely up to your own interpretation I suppose, for me it has been an intentional choice behind using the car & then later the carriage & it's not to do with allergies etc.) Also I think there is an big aspect of not wanting to appear overly lavish, yes there has to be pomp but I really do think that everyone organising this event is being very sensitive to how lavish it appears to people as they know if they are seen to go OTT then they'll be an easy target for anti-royalists, media etc that just want to find any reason at all to be negative about the royals.

Last edited:
I think the point Wymanda is trying to make is why does it have to be about hourse allergies and not for any number of entirely different reasons? The fact is that unless Kate chooses to share those reasons with the public, then we are all just speculating. It IS a personal choice and it IS her wedding day.

I absolutely agree with you. My point was only that it had been mentioned that she is allergic, so she could have a very "simple" reason for her choice that might have nothing to do with all those speculations about other reasons which often have a bit of accusation against her or include musings about her being concious of the fact that she is just a "lowly commoner" and wants to show that in a symbolic way.

I have a question. I am fairly new to this forum so I am not exactly sure how things work.......... Is there going to be a live chat on the day of the wedding so we can all ooh and aah her dress or chuckle if one of them flubs their vows?

Yes, at their topic in royal weddings section. It will be open closer to the wedding. Have a look at CP Victoria and Daniel topic, you will feel the atmosphere ;)

Is it true that Catherine and her father will not be leaving for the Abbey from BP...instead they will be departing from the Goring Hotel...what a sight that would be for a carriage to stop at the front door of the hotel waiting for Catherine and her father to be taken to the Abbey...

Is it true that Catherine and her father will not be leaving for the Abbey from BP...instead they will be departing from the Goring Hotel...what a sight that would be for a carriage to stop at the front door of the hotel waiting for Catherine and her father to be taken to the Abbey...

It is unlikely they will leave from the Goring. Whilst the Middleton family is expected to spend the night at the Goring, it is expected that the Catherine and her father will leave for the Abbey from either of BP or St James' - the exact location has not yet been confirmed.

Ther is certainly no shortage at carriages. At the Wedding of Charles and Diana the entire Royal Family (from the Queen up to Prince and Princess Michale of Kent) travelled in open carriages and there is also a vast collection of closed carriages.
There certainly is a conspiracy afoot to defend Kate[light humour] from allergies to the fact that it is her day -and that the carriage might not look proper stopping in front of Goring Hotel her wedding and her choice. However nothing can be subsantiated. None of the speculation.and I do not think we will ever know for certain. They could take a closed carriage.Personally I do not know why a lot of things like this are happening but all the posters here defend Catherine so maybe best to leave it alone.

There certainly is a conspiracy afoot to defend Kate[light humour] from allergies to the fact that it is her day -and that the carriage might not look proper stopping in front of Goring Hotel her wedding and her choice. However nothing can be subsantiated. None of the speculation.and I do not think we will ever know for certain. They could take a closed carriage.Personally I do not know why a lot of things like this are happening but all the posters here defend Catherine so maybe best to leave it alone.

Oh, I don't think there is a conspiracy of any kind, but maybe rather a counterbalance to some of the sniping. :)

Oh, I don't think there is a conspiracy of any kind, but maybe rather a counterbalance to some of the sniping. :)
..... not to mention the unbridled negativity some choose to hurle around without basis :)

:previous: ...no turning back now!!! It's now real for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Skippy. I wonder if there are any legal repurcussions to either party having a change of heart. It says a "Contract of Marriage" not in Skippy's quote, but somewhere else earlier in this or some other thread. Wonder if there is recourse for Kate if PW changes his mind.

I THINK it's something like "The Queen graciously gives her consent to a contract of marriage between....." and there is no contract in place until the ceremony has taken place. As with any other couple, I THINK that any recourse would only be in regard to assets bought in contemplation of the marriage (such as a house, furniture etc), the engagement ring and possibly even loss of earnings, but all this would have to go through the civil courts if one or other decided to sue.

The Queen gave her consent to the marriage at the Privy Council
http://www.privy-council.org.uk/files/pdf/website list 9 feb 2011.pdf

I THINK it's something like "The Queen graciously gives her consent to a contract of marriage between....." and there is no contract in place until the ceremony has taken place.

jdcharlie posted the article yesterday, and quoted

My Lords, I declare My Consent to a Contract of Matrimony between My Most Dearly Beloved Grandson Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales and Catherine Elizabeth Middleton, which Consent I am causing to be signified under the Great Seal and to be entered in the Books of the Privy Council.

I THINK it's something like "The Queen graciously gives her consent to a contract of marriage between....." and there is no contract in place until the ceremony has taken place. As with any other couple, I THINK that any recourse would only be in regard to assets bought in contemplation of the marriage (such as a house, furniture etc), the engagement ring and possibly even loss of earnings, but all this would have to go through the civil courts if one or other decided to sue.

Thanks, Jacknch. I am not schooled in English law, only American. We no longer recognize breach of contract in pre-matrimonial affairs. I was just wondering...

Last edited:
They can both still back out - up to and when they have both said 'I do' - and if either of them have doubts they should do so - think of the heartache that we and they would have been spared had others, in similar circumstances acted on their doubts.

NB I am not saying that either of them have any doubts but saying IF they have them.

This is an interesting development. I thought that as William's aunt, she might have been included.

I have to say- after her recent troubles, the Duchess' choice not to accept any television (or commercial) offers related to this wedding is very smart. If she somehow benefited from the wedding, I think her credibility would really be (further) damaged.

:previous: I am sure that is a personal decision...depending on how close one is. My parents have been divorced for 16 years and cousins on both sides refer to their "ex" Aunt and Uncle as Aunt and Uncle without the ex.

Of course, we dont' know for a fact what type of relationship William has with Sarah. One imagine that it is distant. Though I seem to recall Zara being excited to see Sarah at one point after the divorce.

No as with protocol the gold state carriage or more often the glass coach is used to bring the bride and her father to the wedding. The bride and groom return in one of the simpler open carriages on the way back. The closed state carriages ares vastly expensive to organise, clean, polish etc for use. The gold one being used just once a year for the opening of parliament each year. The last time I remember one being used apart from that was I think the Queens 50 jubilee.

It was said at the time that the car was being used for modernity and cost cutting reasons.

And as for most of the attendants being from William's side. Well they were going to be. He is the royal. All those children are either moderately well known themselves or come from the royal circle. Always going to be like that.

I am not sure the words "vastly expensive" should be used to discuss the extra cost involved in using a carriage vs a car. I am under the assumption, that the people involved in caring for the carriages already work in the royal mews, and that cleaning supplies can't be that expensive for it to make a real difference in cost. Maybe logistically it is easier to plan and implement the use of a motor vehicl. The use of carriages/coaches are used regularly and I doubt the royal household would need to hire new staff to put this in place. I think that the use of a car has more to do with adding a modern twist or perhaps is linked to her allergies. Just my opinion

Ther is certainly no shortage at carriages. At the Wedding of Charles and Diana the entire Royal Family (from the Queen up to Prince and Princess Michale of Kent) travelled in open carriages and there is also a vast collection of closed carriages.

http://cdn.theroyalforums.com/ugala/forums/images/editor/smilie.gif

Your are right, there certainly isn't a shortage of carriages. I believe that the royal mews states that they are over 100 carriages/coaches in the royal collection, not sure how many of them are usable.

IF this is in fact true, I am not surprised. Even if William would be fine with inviting her, I think the Queen has had enough. As the saying goes...fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. If Sarah is able to rise from the royal ashes once again, I don't think it will be in the Queen's fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom