Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that is why I am informing you of Diana's attendance.

We won't get into a discussion of the political and/or economic climate.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Express Yourself :: Scottish honeymoon after Royal Wedding

Prince William and Kate Middleton are being tipped to spend part of their honeymoon at Balmoral.

It is claimed the newlyweds are likely to visit the Queen’s Scottish estate for a few days before flying to another romantic destination.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Royal wedding: Louise Windsor ‘so thrilled’ to be Kate Middleton’s bridesmaid

Kate Middleton has chosen the Queen’s youngest granddaughter as one of her bridesmaids.

Lady Louise Windsor, the seven year-old daughter of Prince Edward and wife Sophie, has been asked to accompany Kate down the aisle as she marries Prince William on April 29.

From what I have read, she got permission to tour the palace with her daughters. To me, that means she asked and was granted permission. Not that they queen personally invited her and her daughters to tour the palace on her own accord. That to me does not imply a relationship beyond courtesy being extended to a First Lady.

I agree that if she invites one Head of State, then it would offend others if they are not invited.

I remember when charles and diana were married nancy and ronald reagan were invited. she attended he did not becuase it was not an offical state occasion. i bet the same will happen thsi time. however, the first ladies really arent that important in my opinion to be invited to what should be a family occasion. if they arent friends, then they shouldnt be treated as such.

That's fine, I was just saying that there are very valid and important reasons IMO why I don't think it's a good idea for either of them to attend. I could care less who other countries choose to send to represent them.

Attending a funeral is obviously different than attending a wedding. But I digress...

Does anyone know or hear if/who will be attending from the royal houses of Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, etc?

kudos for catherine to chose to have her sister as a bridesmaid instead of a future cousin in law. what girl wouldnt want their sister to stand up wit them on the most important day in her life?

Last edited:
I remember when charles and diana were married nancy and ronald reagan were invited. she attended he did not becuase it was not an offical state occasion. i bet the same will happen thsi time. however, the first ladies really arent that important in my opinion to be invited to what should be a family occasion. if they arent friends, then they shouldnt be treated as such.

Prince Charles as the heir to the throne had a state wedding. Therefore, all Heads of State were invited. Prince William is second in line and this is not a formal state wedding. There lies the difference.

Last edited:
I think we could argue this to the cows come home and the issue would still be up for debate. Based on what we know, Michelle Obama has not been invited so until the invite is in the mail, this is all just talk.

For the record, I think funerals are just as important as weddings. I believe Nancy Reagan also attended the wedding of Andrew and Sarah. Wasn't his wedding also not an official state event?

I wish we had official confirmation regarding the bridal party than just media/tabloid reports.

I think we could argue this to the cows come home and the issue would still be up for debate. Based on what we know, Michelle Obama has not been invited so until the invite is in the mail, this is all just talk.

For the record, I think funerals are just as important as weddings. I believe Nancy Reagan also attended the wedding of Andrew and Sarah. Wasn't his wedding also not an official state event?

I wish we had official confirmation regarding the bridal party than just media/tabloid reports.

Yes you are right. Nancy did attend Prince Andrew's wedding, but again that was a State Wedding where Heads of State were invited. As to why this was a State Wedding? I would assume that it is due to Andrew being the Sovereign's second son. Wasn't Princess Anne's wedding also a State occasion? Although Edward is also a Sovereign's son, he may have not wanted a State Wedding and opted for a more intimate affair.

I'm not sure how the protocol works for State Weddings. Perhaps someone who does know can chime in. :flowers:

Yes you are right. Nancy did attend Prince Andrew's wedding, but again that was a State Wedding where Heads of State were invited. As to why this was a State Wedding? I would assume that it is due to Andrew being the Sovereign's second son. Wasn't Princess Anne's wedding also a State occasion? Although Edward is also a Sovereign's son, he may have not wanted a State Wedding and opted for a more intimate affair.

I'm not sure how the protocol works for State Weddings. Perhaps someone who does know can chime in. :flowers:

The children of the monarch did have State Wedding but by Edward's we have seen the failure of those 'state' weddings, the disaster of the Diana years, her death etc. A lower key wedding was called for.

Actually, Nancy came alone because the President was still recovering from serious wounds suffered from the assassination attempt 4 months earlier.

Zonk said:

Yes, funerals are just as important (please note I said different :)).
You're right, we'll all be going in circles discussing potential invitees and prospective bridesmaids and pages until there is confirmation!

The children of the monarch did have State Wedding but by Edward's we have seen the failure of those 'state' weddings, the disaster of the Diana years, her death etc. A lower key wedding was called for.

I knew you could clarify this! :flowers: I thought it would have more to do with Edward and Sophia not wanting the pomp and pageantry of his siblings weddings and something more intimate and personal.

Honestly, I think it was both. As iluvbertie mentioned the failure of the "state weddings" and Edwards desire to have a smaller, personal wedding.

I would think that William and Kate's will be more like Edward and Sophie with a touch of Andrew and Sarah's.

I would think that William and Kate's will be more like Edward and Sophie with a touch of Andrew and Sarah's.

I agree although I think it will end up more Andrew and Sarah than Edward and Sophie. We shall see how this all comes together on the big day.

I think more like Andrew and Sarah because of the Abbey as well as the format (Andrew being the 2nd son of a soverign and not the Heir). But I think Edward and Sophie because it will still be a grand British wedding but on a smaller scale.

I think more like Andrew and Sarah because of the Abbey as well as the format (Andrew being the 2nd son of a soverign and not the Heir). But I think Edward and Sophie because it will still be a grand British wedding but on a smaller scale.

I think the only thing small about this wedding will be the number of people invited to the Abbey. I don't recall any other Royal couples that have had two receptions in order to accommodate all their friends, family and obligatory invites in the past.

Is it me but are the boys listed as possible page boys a bit old for the job. Especially the Chatto boys. Are there no boys if a similar age to Lady Louise?

Also I've spent ages re-reading this thread as someone said the bridesmaids had been announced looking for the link to the announcement then searching the Internet when there is no announcement at all. Can we all be more careful as it is confusing - it has been reported is better!

If her sister Pippa is a bridesmaid indeed it is an
opportunistic form of nepotism because the world[ one billion viewers] will see her sister get exposure and that in turn may lead to opening doors for her by her power by association Catherine is marrying into the Windsors and not the other way around so I think the sister thing as much as I comprehend the love and devotion between the two somehow does not fit. ..And there is a disparity in ages across the board of the wedding party.Both Diana and Sarah had sisters and neither had them in the bridal party. However I hope it works out.

If Kate is having Pippa as her maid of honor/bridesmaid it is solely because that is what she wishes to do. Pure and simple. Just as William will be having his brother stand up with him. This is not a business deal. This is not a red carpet show put on for the billions of viewers in the audience. Its not about anyone other than William and Kate. As much as she is marrying into the Firm, William will also become part of the Middleton family.. it works both ways.

I'm sure that over the years Pippa will be getting lots of exposure as you say seeing that she just might be Kate's lady-in-waiting in the future. Nepotism? I don't think so. I think it is having someone close to you that you know you can trust and depend on no matter what. :D

Pippa Middleton to be Kate

Jaya a question for you: I dont know if charlene has sisters or not. But if she has one and she asked her to be her bridesmaid who it means the same thing you said about Kate and Pippa? Probably not because you spend your time on the thread dedicated to albert and charlene to bash kate and william and do the same on the theard regarding kate and william.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nepotism?! How is having your family apart of your wedding nepotism. Was it nepotism when P.Mary had her sisters has bridesmaids, no, it was Mary having her sisters with her on her big day. Pippa already had a public profile and that will continue even more regardless of whether or not she is a bridesmaid at the wedding. If you can't post a sensible or decent response in this thread then please don't visit it.

Last edited:
I would have been surprised if Pippa wasn't a bridesmaid.

Diana's sisters were somewhat older and married, if my fading memory serves me correctly so she went with younger girls. Sarah's sister was also married by the time she married. I think that makes a difference.

If her sister Pippa www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippa_Middleton is a bridesmaid indeed it is an
opportunistic form of nepotism because the world[ one billion viewers] will see her sister get exposure and that in turn may lead to opening doors for her by her power by association. LIke Grace Kelly's sister Peggy who was a maid of honour at Grace's wedding she was expected to marry a Prince instead Grace did. That was the last time I recall a sister as bridesamaid.I think the Grand Duchss of Luxembourg also had her sis in some capacity. Catherine is marrying into the Windsors and not the other way around so I think the sister thing as much as I comprehend the love and devotion between the two somehow does not fit. ..And there is a disparity in ages across the board of the wedding party.Both Diana and Sarah had sisters and neither had them in the bridal party. However I hope it works out and that the long goodbye at Catherine's rite of passage is happy with her sister at her side.

In Denmark Mary had both her sisters as bridesmaids.

If her sister Pippa www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippa_Middleton is a bridesmaid indeed it is an
opportunistic form of nepotism because the world[ one billion viewers] will see her sister get exposure and that in turn may lead to opening doors for her by her power by association. LIke Grace Kelly's sister Peggy who was a maid of honour at Grace's wedding she was expected to marry a Prince instead Grace did. That was the last time I recall a sister as bridesamaid.I think the Grand Duchss of Luxembourg also had her sis in some capacity. Catherine is marrying into the Windsors and not the other way around so I think the sister thing as much as I comprehend the love and devotion between the two somehow does not fit. ..And there is a disparity in ages across the board of the wedding party.Both Diana and Sarah had sisters and neither had them in the bridal party. However I hope it works out and that the long goodbye at Catherine's rite of passage is happy with her sister at her side.
Princess Mary "elevated" both her sisters and her best friend in just such a way!

If Kate is having Pippa as her maid of honor/bridesmaid it is solely because that is what she wishes to do. Pure and simple. Just as William will be having his brother stand up with him. This is not a business deal. This is not a red carpet show put on for the billions of viewers in the audience. Its not about anyone other than William and Kate. As much as she is marrying into the Firm, William will also become part of the Middleton family.. it works both ways.

I'm sure that over the years Pippa will be getting lots of exposure as you say seeing that she just might be Kate's lady-in-waiting in the future. Nepotism? I don't think so. I think it is having someone close to you that you know you can trust and depend on no matter what. :D

Pippa Middleton to be Kate

Thank you, this is very nice said.

Interesting to note that Eliza, the daughter of William's step-sister, Laura, will be part of the bridal party - a nod to the step-family that William is part of.

BBC News - Royal wedding: William picks brother Harry as best man

Royal wedding: William picks brother Harry as best man

The princes visited South Africa together last year as part of an official tour
Prince William has chosen his brother Harry to be his best man at his wedding, while Kate Middleton's sister Philippa will be her maid of honour.
The couple will marry at Westminster Abbey on Friday, 29 April.
Among the bridesmaids are seven-year-old Lady Louise Windsor, daughter of the Earl and Countess of Wessex

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom