Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lumutqueen said:
Prince Henry and then he'll probably have 2 supporters.

Supporters are British royal family speak for bestman/men so he won't have both he will just have supporters. Probably 2

Helen Mirren interview in the Telegraph :
...Mirren has said that her parents were “anti-monarchy”, but clarifies that their disdain was directed at the aristocracy, not the Royals. Mirren has warmed to the idea of the Royal family as a cultural and psychological touchstone, and as she put it, “a good defence against totalitarianism”.
She’s cheered by the fact that Prince William chose to marry Kate Middleton, an ordinary girl who also has the extraordinary self-possession that the lifestyle demands. “I love where she comes from and who she is,” Mirren says. “You see them together and they’re easy with each other. They look at each other with genuine interest and love, they make each other laugh. It takes a very special person to step into that world.
“I think she had the advantage that Diana didn’t have of a monarchy that’s really moved on. And moved on through Charles, who has been an incredible father to his sons. I have a feeling that he very deliberately did not bring his own children up in the kind of upbringing he had.”

Helen Mirren interview in the Telegraph :
...Mirren has said that her parents were “anti-monarchy”, but clarifies that their disdain was directed at the aristocracy, not the Royals. Mirren has warmed to the idea of the Royal family as a cultural and psychological touchstone, and as she put it, “a good defence against totalitarianism”.
She’s cheered by the fact that Prince William chose to marry Kate Middleton, an ordinary girl who also has the extraordinary self-possession that the lifestyle demands. “I love where she comes from and who she is,” Mirren says. “You see them together and they’re easy with each other. They look at each other with genuine interest and love, they make each other laugh. It takes a very special person to step into that world.
“I think she had the advantage that Diana didn’t have of a monarchy that’s really moved on. And moved on through Charles, who has been an incredible father to his sons. I have a feeling that he very deliberately did not bring his own children up in the kind of upbringing he had.”
Isn't that interesting how when stars and musicians are young they thumb their nose at the monarchy and when they age and that same monarchy recognizes them for their accomplishments they wax poetic about HM and The Firm. :D

This gives me further reason for me to believe that Camilla's grandchildren will be part of the wedding procession. I hope at least Laura's daughter will be, she is cute as a button! Plus, Id love to see the twins.

Three years old might be a bit young, and the twins are even younger.

Will William have ushers? Or is that not done in royal weddings?

I'm going to the Diana: A Celebration Exhibit in Kansas City in late March/Early April. I will be able to see if any of Diana's wedding accessories are missing and possibly being used by Kate - and I WILL report back to everyone! LOL!

Prince Henry and then he'll probably have 2 supporters.
What's with the "Henry"? I have to think twice before I realise it's Harry! Does anyone actually call him Henry? :whistling:

I'm going to the Diana: A Celebration Exhibit in Kansas City in late March/Early April. I will be able to see if any of Diana's wedding accessories are missing and possibly being used by Kate - and I WILL report back to everyone! LOL!

I hope they are all there for you to see!
Kate has the ring; that is enough

What's with the "Henry"? I have to think twice before I realise it's Harry! Does anyone actually call him Henry? :whistling:

Well, it is actually his name.
Perhaps it's part of a trend, since so many people are beginning to call Kate by her real name, Catherine.

No, as his parents announced his name, they also announced that he would be called Harry.

No, as his parents announced his name, they also announced that he would be called Harry.

I remember thinking at the time that Harry should be the shortened form of Harold, not Henry!

I quite like the idea of new trend in calling people by their "proper" names and not shortened versions! I'll try calling Harry Henry for a while and see how I get on!

What does Harry or Henry have to do with this thread?

Let's get back on topic.

Any news regarding the BAFTA ceremony on sunday evening? We can bet? I think they go together. And what about you on the forum? what do you believe?

It's really nice that William has been appointed Colonel of the Irish Guard but I think it would be a real slap in the face to the RAF and his SAR crew should he decide to wear the dress uniform of the Irish Guard. Although the red uniform would stand out in Westminster Abbey and I personally think that the Household Calvary uniform is the most formal looking, I think William will go with the RAF uniform as it is with SAR that he is presently serving and is very proud of what he does. The meaning behind what he wears would mean more to him than how it looks or photographs.

Any news regarding the BAFTA ceremony on sunday evening? We can bet? I think they go together. And what about you on the forum? what do you believe?

There is no engagement listed for Sunday. If they do attend it'll be nice to see them, but i'll be surprised seeing as it's not on the official list and it will be a royal engagement, not a "visit".

It's really nice that William has been appointed Colonel of the Irish Guard but I think it would be a real slap in the face to the RAF and his SAR crew should he decide to wear the dress uniform of the Irish Guard. Although the red uniform would stand out in Westminster Abbey and I personally think that the Household Calvary uniform is the most formal looking, I think William will go with the RAF uniform as it is with SAR that he is presently serving and is very proud of what he does. The meaning behind what he wears would mean more to him than how it looks or photographs.

I wholeheartedly agree! I would personally like William to wear his RAF uniform because he is currently serving in the RAF. My brother-in-law got married in his RAF uniform and with the ceremonial sword it is a very smart and fitting uniform to get married in.

Hmm, I was wondering...this appointment is very timely!
Could it be that the Queen isn't all that fond of the RAF uniform either, and wanted William to have a more dashing alternative?

Very well said. Catherine's behaviour during both the courtship and the engagement show she is her own person. Comparisons by the media are an attempt to increase hype and sell newspapers/magazines.
Catherine her own person?Granted she is good looking but has not inspired with personality at all.In fact this guardedness is starting to irk me- even about her wedding dress and the dress afterwards at the banquet already-she is dangling the public she hopes to serve as if one tidbit will trigger Diana hysteria and all I hear is that she is sooo discreet etc.
Catherine is a bit too quiet for my taste. Catherine is a a diffucult person to decipher and will not open up for reasons known only to herself And William is in film clips of them as a couple walking somewhere walks ahead of her most of the time.He races and she is walking behind.They are both different . I hope things work out for them. Cannot say I will get up to watch the wedding.

Catherine her own person?Granted she is good looking but has not inspired with personality at all.In fact this guardedness is starting to irk me- even about her wedding dress and the dress afterwards at the banquet already-she is dangling the public she hopes to serve as if one tidbit will trigger Diana hysteria and all I hear is that she is sooo discreet etc.

:previous:You're right there should be weekly press releases about the wedding from Clarence House and St. James Palace...

Catherine is a bit too quiet for my taste. Catherine is a a diffucult person to decipher and will not open up for reasons known only to herself

:previous:What about her would you like to know...her favorite ice cream flavor or her favorite tv show or her favorite music artist? Should she be giving more interviews? How about a Middleton family photo portfolio...would that help?

And William is in film clips of them as a couple walking somewhere walks ahead of her most of the time.He races and she is walking behind.They are both different . I hope things work out for them.

:previous:Interesting method of discerning the seriousness of a relationship...distance between you and your partner while walking...

Cannot say I will get up to watch the wedding.

:previous:That's your privilege...

Nevertheless every individual has their own opinion...:D

Catherine is a bit too quiet for my taste. Catherine is a a diffucult person to decipher and will not open up for reasons known only to herself And William is in film clips of them as a couple walking somewhere walks ahead of her most of the time.He races and she is walking behind.They are both different . I hope things work out for them. Cannot say I will get up to watch the wedding.

How do you know her personality? Have you met her? So I am taking this as your opinion, but others see her (guardedeness) of Her dress, her and William's life.. to do the exact opposite of triggering the Daina hysteria... Does anyone else really need to know their reasons at this point ...maybe or maybe not..

IMO Im glad she is quiet and reserved..IMO this shows a good match to William. I will be up at 4am on April 29th... :flowers::flowers:

Last edited:

It is understandable that some people will be frustrated about the guardedness surrounding Catherine and the wedding but I really do think it is being done for the right reasons. Thrusting Catherine centre stage at every opportunity will do her no good at all, nor will it do us any good - generally, people do not want to be saturated with news of Catherine's every move and every detail of the wedding. It becomes boring and predictable and too much news and information will allow too many people too much scope for critisism of her.
Catherine is difficult to decipher and cannot open up for the simple reason that we have only seen her talk once on the day of her engagement. She is busy preparing for her new life and probably has no time to hold interviews and make speaches in order to satisfy people's curiosity.
Although it seems that Catherine is personally and deliberately keeping the public dangling etc, but this is not in her control it is in control of whoever is in charge of the preparation. It is perhaps the royal family's way of developing more control over the media - kind of wresting the power away and quite rightly so!

Why in the world should we know about her dress at all before her wedding day? I think the majority of brides everywhere keep their dresses under wraps until the "big day". I most certainly did.

I think Kate will be very guarded and quiet for the most part for the rest of her life following the examples of the Queen and the DoE. The media, I fear, is going to be in for a big disappointment with getting "scoops" on the lives of William and Kate as I really believe that other than their official duties and royal occasions, their lives are going to be very much off limits to the public. We rarely get a glimpse into the private lives of the Queen and the DoE and after the blitz of scandals and constant media meddling of the 80s and the 90s, I think all of the royals have learned to keep their private lives just that... private. Diana or Dianamania has nothing to do with this. Its their right to privacy that they are setting firm groundwork on and that's how it should be. Neither of them really have an obligation to "open up" their lives to the public other than in regards to their royal duties and patronages.

As far as Kate walking a few steps behind William, I think she did that on purpose before the engagement was announced as to not draw attention to their relationship. Once the engagement was announced, she proudly has walked side by side with her fiance' in the one time I really recall them being out in public together around the holidays.

Last edited:
As much as I find Kate's lack of an obvious personality frustrating, I absolutly adore her discretion and calm, slightly cool demeanor. She really seems to have her sht together and it doesn't seem like we will have the media circus of the 80's and 90's. The press get bored of "boring" people and eventually leave them alone. Which is what Kate and Wills want I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom