Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh definitely the Household Calvery Uniform. The RAF uniform just isn't formal enough for a Royal Wedding. What is the star that William is wearing below the sash?

That's the Garter Star. I don't know much about the details, so I looked this up:

From Wiki: "The star, which is worn pinned to the left breast, was introduced in the 17th century by King Charles I and is a colourfully enameled depiction of the heraldic shield of St. George's Cross, encircled by the Garter, which is itself encircled by an eight-point silver badge. Each point is depicted as a cluster of rays, with the four points of the cardinal directions longer than the intermediate ones. The stars of Stranger Knights and Ladies were once set with several jewels. Since the Order of the Garter is the senior order of the United Kingdom, a member will wear its star above the others (up to three) that he or she holds."

Read more here under "vestments and accoutrements" -- they get collar, star, riband (sash) and a badge, no less!

Order of the Garter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If William does wear his RAF Officer No. 1 dress uniform and Harry does wears his Blues and Royals Officer No. 1 Dress Order uniform...you have to distinguish with HC due to a rivalry that goes back over 100 yrs...they may look a little something like this...

Photos of Prince Harry, Prince William, the Queen and the Royal Family at Trooping the Colour 2009

...oh, and the star is called "The Garter Star"...I think you know why William wears it...

also if William wears his Blues and Royals Officer No. 1 Dress Order uniform he will not be able to display his pilot wings...

Last edited:
Harry, of course, has also left the Blues and Royals and is now in the Army Air Corps so I would expect him to wear that uniform to the wedding.

Harry, of course, has also left the Blues and Royals and is now in the Army Air Corps so I would expect him to wear that uniform to the wedding.

Not to veer off topic but here is a photo with Harry in his Blues an Royals Officer No.1 Dress order uniform wearing an Army Air Corps beret...take a look at the cap badge:

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/09/article-1289334737638-0BFC9FC6000005DC-975414_466x350.jpg

...Army Air Corp wings, Blues and Royals uniform...:confused:

Last edited:
diana's dress

I knew as soon as I typed those words about Di's dress I would receive contrasting opinions.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I stick to my guns when I say that dress was too froo froo and ott.
I think people remember it vividly because it was so outlandish and o.t.t.:whistling:

:previous: I think you're right. I think it's safe to assume that Kate's will be nothing like it.

His bus conductor's uniform.

:hiding:

I don't understand what you mean with your response.

As William is currently a serving officer in the RAF, having transferred from the army to the air force, I think he should wear his current uniform and not one the one from which he has already transferred - not just the unit but the entire service.

Although I think his Cavalry uniform looks more "stately" to me, I admit, because it is black and I have a very stern image in my mind about grooms, I do agree that he should wear his RAF attire.
It's where he's currently in and so it makes the most sense that that is the worn uniform. I have just taken a look at it again and do find it a very handsome uniform indeed. Especially with that sash... It makes for good distinction and that can be a good thing too.

Last edited:
4Pam said:
BrideTide - Wedding Ideas & Bridal Inspiration For The Planning Bride: Cutting Edge New Trend or Tacky? Prince William and Kate Middleton Send Out "Save the Date" Faxes!

Any thoughts? My guess is they probably only went to the royal houses or anyone that has a working staff. Just my opinion. Share yours! ::flowers::

I think it's ok. Maybe they wanted a quick way to get a feeler for who from other royal houses could possibly attend or something along those lines (not a true "save the date" perhaps??). We can only guess :). Anyway it's efficient - and not that either are uber classy for a wedding like this, but a fax to me would be nicer IMO...plus, imagine BP sending out an email and it goes into the junk folder instead of the inbox?!?! :lol: that is one email I wouldn't want to miss!!!

It's 2:30 am and I'm on my break at work. I might feel differently after work and I've had some sleep!!

Queen Penelope said:
I think it's ok. Maybe they wanted a quick way to get a feeler for who from other royal houses could possibly attend or something along those lines (not a true "save the date" perhaps??). We can only guess :). Anyway it's efficient - and not that either are uber classy for a wedding like this, but a fax to me would be nicer IMO...plus, imagine BP sending out an email and it goes into the junk folder instead of the inbox?!?! :lol: that is one email I wouldn't want to miss!!!

It's 2:30 am and I'm on my break at work. I might feel differently after work and I've had some sleep!!

Just wanted to clarify that IMO perhaps they thought that faxes were preferable to email and they also wanted to give VIP guests as much time as possible to work the wedding into their schedule.

I needs sleep!! LOL

If William does wear his RAF Officer No. 1 dress uniform and Harry does wears his Blues and Royals Officer No. 1 Dress Order uniform...you have to distinguish with HC due to a rivalry that goes back over 100 yrs...they may look a little something like this...

Photos of Prince Harry, Prince William, the Queen and the Royal Family at Trooping the Colour 2009

...oh, and the star is called "The Garter Star"...I think you know why William wears it...

also if William wears his Blues and Royals Officer No. 1 Dress Order uniform he will not be able to display his pilot wings...

The RAF uniform looks washed out and bland next to Harry's uniform. I really hope William doesn't wear this for the wedding. It's just not dressy enough for a Royal wedding, even with the sash and Garter Star.

I personally love the RAF uniform & think it's fine for a wedding, I think William, especially, actually suits this uniform really well too. I don't see really any reason why he wouldn't wear that uniform anyway as if he's going to wear military uniform at all, surely he'd almost HAVE to wear the uniform from the service he was currently serving?

I personally love the RAF uniform & think it's fine for a wedding, I think William, especially, actually suits this uniform really well too. I don't see really any reason why he wouldn't wear that uniform anyway as if he's going to wear military uniform at all, surely he'd almost HAVE to wear the uniform from the service he was currently serving?

For a normal wedding yes. But for a Royal wedding I think his Household Calvary uniform is much more formal. I guess I am just more used to seeing dark uniforms at Royal weddings and the color of this one throws me.

I don't understand what you mean with your response.

Although I think his Cavalry uniform looks more "stately" to me, I admit, because it is black and I have a very stern image in my mind about grooms, I do agree that he should wear his RAF attire.
It's where he's currently in and so it makes the most sense that that is the worn uniform. I have just taken a look at it again and do find it a very handsome uniform indeed. Especially with that sash... It makes for good distinction and that can be a good thing too.

True, the sash helps a bit, but he'd wear the Garter sash no matter what, so I still hope he finds an alternative to the RAF uniform.

Wow! How obnoxious to invite yourself to a wedding. Sounds like he and Naomi are made for each other. :whistling:

Sounds to me like something Mr. Al-Fayed would do.

I'm still waiting by my fax machine for that "advance" invite that I simply know is coming.....

NotAPretender said:
I'm still waiting by my fax machine for that "advance" invite that I simply know is coming.....

You and me both!!...I knew I got that fax machine for some reason!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom