Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TLC stands forThe Learning Channel. Basically what happens it they distibute the rights to the programs and TLC got it for the US but Canadians who also have TLC basically didn't get to see the programme tonight because for Canadians it was distributed to CBC who will air it next Sunday Instead we saw a programme from Planet Green which is partner with Discovery Channel who also owns TLC. William Kate & 8 Weddings is like a documentary basically going back and reviewing all the past British Royal Weddings.

TLC stands forThe Learning Channel. Basically what happens it they distibute the rights to the programs and TLC got it for the US but Canadians who also have TLC basically didn't get to see the programme tonight because for Canadians it was distributed to CBC who will air it next Sunday Instead we saw a programme from Planet Green which is partner with Discovery Channel who also owns TLC. William Kate & 8 Weddings is like a documentary basically going back and reviewing all the past British Royal Weddings.

Wow, thanks for the explanation. It seems a little long winded but??? I think I get it. In Aus, we get to see what ever the ever the channels (2, 7, 9,10) give us. We have recently been blessed with new free to air channels, (gem, 7mate, 11) etc. Basically they all show the same stuff but with a different format. They think that the average human is a bit thick :ermm::sad:

I seen it last night,it was ok... nothing new, but they did get Diana and Charles' divorce year wrong (saying that it was 1995 instead of 1996) if you are doing a program on weddings and more to the truth FAILED weddings of the royal family then at least hit google and check the year that they divorced is correct...IMO

The news of that obscenely expensive gift will certainly guarantee William and Kate the support of pensioners, university students, and people on hospital waiting lists.

I sympathize with the UK's economic situation, just as I sympathize with ours (US), however William and Kate are not responsible for pensions being reduced, university student tuition's raised or a system that necessitates wait lists for medical services. Every Royal bride has received obscenely expensive gifts, and Kate should be no different. It's petty and ridiculous to put the entire country's problems on William and Kate's young shoulders for their special day by expecting them to refuse expensive gifts, not to mention it would be considered an insult of major proportions to do so.

As the article states, the owner was originally approached for the purchase of them for Prince Charles' and Diana's wedding, however it was unsuccessful due to the owner not wanting to part with them at that time. He now is ready to sell them, but only if they are given to Prince William and Kate as a gift for their wedding. It's an odd stipulation if you ask me, but that is the alleged conditions.

The bottom line is if the original purchase had been successful, these jewels would be part of William and Harry's inheritance from Diana anyway.

I sympathize with the UK's economic situation, just as I sympathize with ours (US), however William and Kate are not responsible for pensions being reduced, university student tuition's raised or a system that necessitates wait lists for medical services. Every Royal bride has received obscenely expensive gifts, and Kate should be no different. It's petty and ridiculous to put the entire country's problems on William and Kate's young shoulders for their special day by expecting them to refuse expensive gifts, not to mention it would be considered an insult of major proportions to do so.

As the article states, the owner was originally approached for the purchase of them for Prince Charles' and Diana's wedding, however it was unsuccessful due to the owner not wanting to part with them at that time. He now is ready to sell them, but only if they are given to Prince William and Kate as a gift for their wedding. It's an odd stipulation if you ask me, but that is the alleged conditions.

The bottom line is if the original purchase had been successful, these jewels would be part of William and Harry's inheritance from Diana anyway.

I really do not think we need to worry about any of this. The public will never really be fully informed about the specifics of the wedding gifts received. Certain disclosures as to presents will be received, but these will not be comprehensive enough to work out exactly what was received from whom.

marine2109, those alternate plates are pretty funny, thanks for the link.

New jewels! Yes! It's about time they add to the royal collection.

I really do not think we need to worry about any of this. The public will never really be fully informed about the specifics of the wedding gifts received. Certain disclosures as to presents will be received, but these will not be comprehensive enough to work out exactly what was received from whom.

Perhaps for many of the gifts, but not for the expensive jewels.

I finally found a link that had a few pictures of the stones! Imagine the beautiful jewelry they could create out of them...

Jewelry Insider™: Kate and William's Rainbow Connection

Thank you for finding that link! I was trying to find pics that had a close up, but wasn't having any luck.

I think it would be fabulous if these were to be used in a tiara and a suite to match, using all the stones so that they can all be worn together. With the right design, it would be spectacular! Of course it would be Kate's to wear for important occasions during her lifetime, but should be part of the Royal Collection and on display with the other important jewels of the RF to be enjoyed by the public.

All I can is WOW ... Those are some amazing jewels! Lucky Kate!

I pitch in another WOW - those diamonds are beautiful!!

will they be added to the royal collection or be Kate's personally?

Every Royal bride has received obscenely expensive gifts, and Kate should be no different. It's petty and ridiculous to put the entire country's problems on William and Kate's young shoulders for their special day by expecting them to refuse expensive gifts, not to mention it would be considered an insult of major proportions to do so.

I'm not suggesting they would, or should, refuse such expensive gifts, but the fact that they live in a stratum of society in which such obscenely expensive gifts are given, highlights the difference between them and the majority of the population, many of whom are struggling financially. Though it has happened for millenia, attitudes have changed. On learning of such extravant gifts, some people who are not ardent monarchists but so far have not been actively republican, may well take the view that the relatively impotent monarchy has outlived its usefulness and should be dispensed with. Of course that would not mean that the 50 odd million pounds would go to the state's coffers, but the idea that those who already have so much are being given so much more might stick in the craw of some people, who, at the very least, will not get excited about these new baubles.

Last edited:

If they are given to Kate, they will be hers. But she will probably pass them onto her children and onto the grandchildren etc.

The rainbow collection, cool. It makes sense for the owner to want to sell them and have them gifted to Wills and Kate. He obviously loves these diamonds and doesn't want them separated, otherwise I reckon he would have sold some of them already. Giving them to Kate means they all stick together and will be preserved and displayed for generations.

Ms. Middleton did some jewelry design for her old employer Jigsaw. Just think of the fun she might have designing a Rainbow collection of jewelry for herself.

I don't think another royal has a rainbow collection of all diamonds. Maybe gems. I hope Catherine likes the colors and that the diamonds blend with each other. I think they would insult the gift giver if the sold some of the diamonds.

If they are given to Kate, they will be hers. But she will probably pass them onto her children and onto the grandchildren etc.
Not to say the article was correct, but in the article linked to about Camilla's jewelry gifts, it says that all gifts revert back to the monarch to either be added to the Crown Jewels or given to the next PoW or put in storage (otherwise she would owe taxes on them).

I personally wouldn't want to see one set made with all those different colored jewels...I think that would look tacky. Maybe several pieces with the like-colored stones and some diamonds.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting they would, or should, refuse such expensive gifts, but the fact that they live in a stratum of society in which such obscenely expensive gifts are given, highlights the difference between them and the majority of the population, many of whom are struggling financially. Though it has happened for millenia, attitudes have changed. On learning of such extravant gifts, some people who are not ardent monarchists but so far have not been actively republican, may well take the view that the relatively impotent monarchy has outlived its usefulness and should be dispensed with. Of course that would not mean that the 50 odd million pounds would go to the state's coffers, but the idea that those who already have so much are being given so much more might stick in the craw of some people, who, at the very least, will not get excited about these new baubles.

There are always jealous people, but it's not exclusive to monarchy. Although Bill Gates, who lives just a few miles from me, has dropped to only second richest man in the world according to Forbes, he gets plenty of money and expensive gifts aside from his billions, and doesn't really do anything for the U.S., and likely manages to find ways to avoid paying tax as much as possible. Aside from producing new versions of Microsoft Office that then we all have to shell out money to buy. He hasn't been run out of Seattle on a rail yet, though I am sure there are plenty of people in Washington State who would like it if he were, when our unemployment rate is very high right now. Simply getting rid of the monarchy would not change the fact that some people are rich, and some suffer financially -- a fact in democracies and republics as well as monarchies.

I can't quite imagine that an entire type of government would be overthrown because they got an expensive gift.

If anyone is going to be that petty and irrational over wedding gifts, then there is nothing that is going to please them. Kate and William have no control over what gifts they will receive and what they do with them after they receive them will be up to them.

Not to say the article was correct, but in the article linked to about Camilla's jewelry gifts, it says that all gifts revert back to the monarch to either be added to the Crown Jewels or given to the next PoW or put in storage (otherwise she would owe taxes on them)

And it may very well be the same for the jewels that Kate receives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom