Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to see the Obamas at the wedding. Sorry. There's too much going on in this country that he needs to worry about than going to an overseas wedding. I would actually be pissed off if they accepted an invitation.

I don't want to see the Obamas at the wedding. Sorry. There's too much going on in this country that he needs to worry about than going to an overseas wedding. I would actually be pissed off if they accepted an invitation.

I agree. This is a wedding and not a dog and pony show. To my recollection, I don't remember ever hearing that William and Kate have met the Obamas before even though they seemed to get along well with HM and the DoE. This isn't an event having anything to do with state or governments or political relations but a occasion of celebration for William and Kate. I'd expect some of the folks from Centrepoint at the wedding before the Obamas.

I actually wouldn't mind if Michelle Obama came. I think it would be nice to see her there.

She has no reason to go. The US doesn't need to be represented at the wedding of the heir to the throne's eldest son. We aren't in the Commonwealth, we aren't a territory and while the UK is an ally in foreign affairs, that doesn't mean we need to show up for every wedding and funeral that is either a state or non-state occasion. Nancy Reagan went to Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981 but I'm reasonably sure the only reason she did was because the Reagans were good friends with Margaret Thatcher, who was PM at the time.

I get that she doesn't need to be there (I wasn't debating that). I was simply stating that I personally wouldn't be bothered if she did show up.

Last edited:
Maybe Jill Biden can represent the US? But I agree about the Obama's. There are important issues here that needs his focus.

As a rule American presidents don't attend British Royal weddings. However their wives often do. Nancy Regan attended the wedding of Charles and Diana although she didn't know either of them and at that time, America had major problems, as did Britain.

Reagan starts toying with the Libyains, and deploys ships in the Gulf of Sidra, which Libya claimed rights to even though no one else recognized it as theirs. There were 52 American hostages in Iran and the economy wasn't very healthy either.Feb 17th , 1981- Chrysler Corp reports largest corporate losses in US history
Mar 2nd - Aircraft hijacked by 3 Pakistani terrorists
The economy as far as joblessness was worse then:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/business/worldbusiness/21iht-21leonhardt.19552438.html

There were riots in the streets of Liverpool, earlier Reagan had been shot
March 30 – U.S. President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C. hotel by John Hinckley, Jr.

April 10 – IRA hunger-striker Bobby Sands wins the Fermanagh and South Tyrone by-election.
April 11Brixton riot (1981): Rioters in South London throw petrol bombs, attack police and loot shops
There's no valid why Michelle Obama shouldn't attend the W & K wedding if she is invited.

Nancy Regan attended the wedding of Charles and Diana although she didn't know either of them and at that time

Her and her husband were friends of the PM. Even Thatcher in her ill health, made sure to be at his funeral and then burial in California.

As for your last bit, I can think of one really good reason why Michelle Obama shouldn't go to the wedding -- she has no business being there. She's not a close friend of anyone in the UK, from either the government or the BRF.

No, Thatcher filmed a tribute and it was played at Reagan's funeral.

No, Thatcher filmed a tribute and it was played at Reagan's funeral.

She was in fact, present at both the funeral and the burial.

The following year, on 11 June, Thatcher travelled to the United States to attend the state funeral service for former US President Ronald Reagan, one of her closest friends, at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.[208] Thatcher delivered a eulogy via videotape to Reagan; in view of her failing mental faculties following several small strokes, the message had been pre-recorded several months earlier.[209] Thatcher then flew to California with the Reagan entourage, and attended the memorial service and interment ceremony for President Reagan at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library

I watched this on TV, as did most people, and I distinctly remember her being there and it being something the commentators discussed quite a lot, mostly because of how ill she had been. Her eulogy was videotaped, but she physically was there. So was Gorbachev and if I remember right, they were seated next to one another. Gorbachev was another good friend of Reagan's.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information Marie. And I agree, I don't see why she couldn't attend if she's invited.

I don't think anyone can really know who Michelle is, or isn't friends with.

As a rule American presidents don't attend British Royal weddings. However their wives often do. Nancy Regan attended the wedding of Charles and Diana although she didn't know either of them and at that time, America had major problems, as did Britain.

There's no valid why Michelle Obama shouldn't attend the W & K wedding if she is invited.

Indeed. It's common for First Ladies to be sent to British Royal events (in good economic times and bad) - Nancy Reagan attended Charles and Diana's wedding as well as Andrew and Sarah's. Laura Bush attended the Queen Mother's funeral, and Hillary Clinton attended Diana's (though I realize the latter was not a state event and the invitations were on more of a personal basis). So I shouldn't see any reason why there would be a problem with Michelle Obama attending the wedding - or, likewise, any problem if she didn't. It depends on what kind of guest list William and Kate want for their wedding, IMO.

Last edited:
Lenora said:
I think the wedding is not a state occasion,as William is only second in line to the throne.Probably President Obama couldn't go from economical and security reasons,as example such a trip could be considered by many as unnenecessary luxury.
Michelle Obama may not want to travel without her husband.

It was announced early in planning the wedding would not be a state occasion....

And I don't start a political discussion but Michelle Obama wouldn't want to travel without her husband? Hahaha! That's a joke right-

Yes there is a reason why she shouldn't attend. It's called "She's Already Used All Her Vacation Time and My Tax Dollars."

Sorry about the politics.

I think, politics aside, that Americans might have a problem with her going to a wedding just because of the economic situation. I have a feeling that most people would think that money could be spent better elsewhere. Could be wrong.

Until we get confirmation that a guest list has been established, the Obamas were officially snubbed or have decided to or not attend, everything else is speculation.

Its the Daily Mail...with the usual royal sources.....

Let's move on.

the-princess-bride-designs-for-kate-middletons-wedding-dress-3404449

the-princess-bride-designs-for-kate-middletons-wedding-dress-3404449

WWD Daily had notable designers sketch designs for Catherine.
The Pucci one might be a little to similar to Diana but its SO Royal looking I can't help myself!
The Monique Lhuiller is so stunning and intricate but not over the top.
She's so stunning and they are so in love she could wear a bag down to aisle and William would love it!

Why is it assumed that the Obama's do not have money of their own and it is all tax dollars? At any rate, Michelle Obama is the one person I remember receiving a friendly hug from HM The Queen, for some reason I think the head honcho looks highly upon her personally.

At any rate, although this is being touted as a "peoples wedding" I am sure many heads of state (if not all) are being invited.

Agreed Lady Oona. Though Kate usually wears rather simplistic styles, I can't help but think her wedding gown will be glorious...not frilly but VERY dramatic. I think it will show off how tall and slim she is.

Arobers1 said:
Why is it assumed that the Obama's do not have money of their own and it is all tax dollars? At any rate, Michelle Obama is the one person I remember receiving a friendly hug from HM The Queen, for some reason I think the head honcho looks highly upon her personally.

At any rate, although this is being touted as a "peoples wedding" I am sure many heads of state (if not all) are being invited.

Ok- I just wanted to answer this and then back to William and Kate- yes the Obamas have money and may pay for trips or clothes but taxpayers pay for security and also if they came to an official function that trip is paid for by taxpayers- only their personal stuff can be paid by them (but sometimes isn't) but even those trips tax payers pay security. These are facts- so no polictics intended, it's every president not just Obamas.

Ok- back to PW and the future PrssW!

My choices are:

Elizabeth Emmanuel
Reem Acra
Valentino
Nina Ricci
Caroline Louillier
Vera Wang
Prabal

Laggerfeld is too exagerated! And Lacroix...no comments :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Her and her husband were friends of the PM.

As for your last bit, I can think of one really good reason why Michelle Obama shouldn't go to the wedding -- she has no business being there. She's not a close friend of anyone in the UK, from either the government or the BRF.

Sorry, but the wedding guest list is not based on whom the Prime Minister may consider a friend. Besides I don't recall Nancy Reagan being a friend of Maggie Thatcher's. I don't believe David Cameron will influence the RF's selection of guests.

How do you know Michelle Obama hasn't good or close friends in the United kingdom ? She has as much business being there as any other world leader's wife.

They spent three hours in the palace and its gardens, including the Queen's new vegetable patch. That's an interest the Queen and Mrs. Obama share helping to forge a new friendship and keep the transatlantic relationship very warm, indeed.

A source with what MacVicar calls "excellent royal connections" tells CBS News the Queen has told family members she adores Michelle Obama and hopes to see her again soon.

Michelle Obama and Queen Elizabeth Becoming Friends !

When Michelle Obama made a private visit to the British capital last week with daughters, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 8, they were given a private three-hour tour of Buckingham Palace, including a meeting with the queen.
"There clearly is a personal warmth between the two of them," a royal source told Reuters on Sunday, referring to Michelle Obama, 45, and the 83-year-old monarch.
"Clearly the queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Obamas got on very well at the G20 summit and mention was made then that they should keep in touch and they have done."
According to the sources, the queen and Michelle Obama have exchanged letters and spoken by telephone since that first meeting. The visit last Wednesday was organized as a treat for Sasha, who turned 8 that day.
Despite their age difference, the two women are said to share a number of interests, including the countryside, gardening and clothes.
"It's a positive thing for relations between the two countries that the royal family and the president's family get along so well," the sources said

Michelle Obama finds a new friend in Britain's Queen | Reuters

There's obvious affection between the queen and Michelle-

http://images.nymag.com/daily/intel/20090402_queenhug_560x375.jpg

I'm sure Wm and Kate wouldn't object to Grandmother's friend attending their wedding.:flowers:

It's been said that this is not a state occasion. If that's so will the royal family still wear the dress uniforms of the particular branches of the military they serve as royal colonels? With that being said should Prince Charles wear the dress uniform of an air chief marshal, since Prince William does serve in the RAF?

From St. James Palace on the whole Obama snub.
A St James's Palace spokesman adds: ‘The wedding will not be a formal state occasion since Prince William is neither the sovereign nor the heir to the throne.'

Last edited:
It's not a formal state occasion, so then neither of them have any business being there. Glad that's been settled.

I don't know if it's really been settled though. Lol. I guess we'll see what happens when the invites go out.

Thanks for your kind posts, Soapstar and Isabella.
You're welcome. :)

I don't know if this article is accurate, but it will at least give us something else to discuss. Supposedly Kate isn't going with Oldfield - she's picked a little known designer. The article also has a bunch of other details.

Exclusive Wedding Scoop

Last edited:
soapstar said:
I don't know if this article is accurate, but it will at least give us something else to discuss. Supposedly Kate isn't going with Oldfield - she's picked a little known designer. The article also has a bunch of other details.

Exclusive Wedding Scoop

Well sounds pretty standard with a few touches,assuming it's true. The cutest part is she finds his uniform sexy :) I guess we will see how accurate it is on April 29!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom