Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diana's hair could often look rather flat when she was young, and I actually don't think either the Spencer tiara or the Lovers Knot looked all that good on her. It wasn't until her hairstyle changed, and she started to mature physically, that the tiaras began to look half decent when she wore them.

The Lovers Knot for a young women does look quite heavy, imo. It's somewhat robust.

Last edited:
I would also like to point out that it isn't William inserting Diana into this wedding its the press and frankly, a lot of people on boards such as this.

Yes, he gave Kate....Diana's ring....but other than that...can someone tell me what specific information has been released by the Palace (not the Daily Mirror, the Daily Mail, the Express, etc.) that makes one think of Diana as it relates to this wedding?

The Palace hasn't said that the Elizabeth Emmanuel or Bruce Odfield is designing the dress...the press has. Lady Kitty Spencer has been quoted as saying her father will give a speech. Did I miss something the last couple of years....does Earl Spencer have a great relationship with the British press? And I do agree that Kitty Spencer does seem to seek press attention.

So we don't believe everything that is reported in the British tabloids about Charles, Camilla and the Queen but everyone else is up for grabs?
well, if Lady Kitty spencer really is a publicity seeker, I am surprised that she hasn't stated that, William asked her father to borrow the spencer family tiara for Kate to wear at the wedding.:D

I would find that more likely than asking Earl Spencer to give a speech at the wedding. From what I have heard, Price William is not close at all with any of the Spencer's.

I would find that more likely than asking Earl Spencer to give a speech at the wedding. From what I have heard, Price William is not close at all with any of the Spencer's.

I was just wondering as to where you heard that PW was not close with any of the Spencers as I thought that he was very close with both of his aunts..they are pictured at events. Most recently they have even been pitured with Kate at a couple events..

Last edited:
WoW! I think that is the first time I have ever heard of anyone criticising the Spencer tiara on Diana. I really wonder why you think it looked heavy? I thought it was lovely. her hair drooped a bit but that was probably due to humidity.

I read that Diana's hair drooped because she removed the hot rollers to take a phone call, and her stylist freaked out. :lol:
He wanted those rollers in until the last second.

Catherine probably won't need rollers, but I wonder if she'll wear her hair up or down? Or partially up?
She has such beautiful hair, and I've noticed she wears it down in all her photographs. Has she ever put it up?

There seems a bit of a controversy about the TV coverage of the W&C wedding.
Normally David Dimbleby would be head commentator for any major royal event, just like his father Richard Dimbleby did before him.

However, the Daily Mail claims that Huw Edwards (another commentator, but of Welsh origin) is to be the main commentator, presumably because of his Welshness ??

No. Please No! No more boring royal wedding dresses. CP Victoria's was bad enough (not to mention the cameo tiara). Diana's, while not the best, was at least memorable. I wan't something grand..... Sarah's was by far the best of the bunch with all the bling and a detailed train. JMHO

It was memorable, because it was horrible.

To be fair Huw Edwards is basically like the head/main news presenter for the BBC these days & he regularly does other Royal events like Trooping the Colour etc, he'll be fine with this & I don't think it's particularly shocking that he's been chosen as the lead presenter of the coverage.

On the speculation of the dress etc, I just hope it isn't overly elaborate like the crazy puffy dresses from the 80s but that's just my own personal fashion taste. I dislike long trains on wedding dresses too, aside from the fact that everyone remembers the crazy long train from Diana's dress so it'd be yet another "reminder" if you like but I just think really long trains look silly too! Regardless I'm sure they'll both look great...btw everyone wonders about the dress but do we know what William will wear? RAF uniform, some other military uniform? Something else?

I Think he will wear his Army Uniform

I think so too, although not necessarily the Army. I'd love to see him wearing a uniform, though :) Every inch the gentleman :flowers:

Last edited:
:previous: Why Army? Like the Navy, the Army is something he "does" as part of "what he stands for". Whereas the RAF is "who he is", his full time job so to speak.

I Think he will wear his Army Uniform

Why would he wear the army uniform when he is currently a serving officer in the Air Force? He will be on leave from the Air Force for the wedding day so the Air Force uniform is the one that makes the most sense, if he marries in uniform at all.

:previous: Why Army? Like the Navy, the Army is something he "does" as part of "what he stands for". Whereas the RAF is "who he is", his full time job so to speak.

Hmm, I guess I am mixed up about his Army and RAF uniforms. Is there a picture somewhere that shows him wearing both uniforms? I am not familiar with it at all.

It was memorable, because it was horrible.
Well, i admit to being somewhat horrified when she got out of the coach and walked up the steps of St. Paul's. I thought the sleeves were comically big and the ruffle at the neckline too much. However, that super long train was really cool but also plain as plain can be. Would it have killed the Emmanuals to put some lace and sequins on the train? I know there was some.... but not enough to be visible, or even relevant.The thing that bothered me the most, was that the dress was so wrinkled and no one tried to smooth it at all before the walk down the aisle. JMO :whistling:

On the speculation of the dress etc, I just hope it isn't overly elaborate like the crazy puffy dresses from the 80s but that's just my own personal fashion taste. I dislike long trains on wedding dresses too, aside from the fact that everyone remembers the crazy long train from Diana's dress so it'd be yet another "reminder" if you like but I just think really long trains look silly too! Regardless I'm sure they'll both look great.

I think Diana's dress WAS the reason for the crazy puffy dresses of the '80's. I'll bet if she had worn something sleek, that probably would have been the style for the 80's.
I think in order for a bride to get married in a venue like westminster Abbey, or St. Paul's, you need to have a dress with presence. At least that was the thought of the Emmanual's when they designed Diana's dress all those years ago. They figured she would get lost in that huge Cathedral so they made the dress huge on purpose. Including the 26' train.

As for Catherine. I doubt she would go for the ballgown look... but who knows? I would like to see something with lots of lace, sequins and details that will stand out while being televised across the globe. A long train is a must,as far as I'm concerned, even if it isn't 26' like Diana's.
Sarah Ferguson's designer was very clever because of all the details in the train. I loved that dress! I was thrilled to watch her walk down the Abbey. The sparkles caught and held the eye. :wub:

I thought Sarah's was much nicer than Diana's crumpled, fussy puff-ball; it was fussy even for the time. My favourite of all is Mary's. I hope Kate goes for classy, understated elegance, not fussy, and I hope that whatever she wears looks absolutely nothing like Diana's.

William is a serving RAF officer, so that is the uniform he should wear.

I don't think it will be too showy because she seems to have a simple but sleek style- I imagine we will actually find it nice, gorgeous on her but a tad bit boring.... Just my guess-

As for Catherine. I doubt she would go for the ballgown look... but who knows? I would like to see something with lots of lace, sequins and details that will stand out while being televised across the globe. A long train is a must,as far as I'm concerned, even if it isn't 26' like Diana's.
Sarah Ferguson's designer was very clever because of all the details in the train. I loved that dress! I was thrilled to watch her walk down the Abbey. The sparkles caught and held the eye. :wub:

I don't know why but its been stuck in my head that I'd love to see Kate in antique lace. Does anyone know if there's heirloom lace veils that might be in storage with the BRF? I really can picture Kate with a demure almost "madonna" (NOT the singer) look. Maybe something that suggests a vintage style as Edwardian or Victorian? Kate has never seemed to be the flashy "show it if you got it" type and I think something demure would really be bound to set some fashion treads. Then again, its cold... I'm on cold medication and my taste may be all in my mouth. :)

I'd love to see her in something similar to Princess Claire of Belgium's wedding dress - I think she'd be gorgeous in lace.

But I could also see her wearing something a bit more toned-down, like CP Mary or CP Victoria's dresses, which I also thought were nice. I'm sure she'll be stunning, whatever she decides.

I'd rather have a huge ball of tulle than a plain, boring, snooze fest. JMHO

Has anyone else noticed that Kate looks exceedingly slim in the engagement photographs? I mean, slimmer then before? It looks to me like she lost weight. Almost anorexic looking......

Has anyone else noticed that Kate looks exceedingly slim in the engagement photographs? I mean, slimmer then before? It looks to me like she lost weight. Almost anorexic looking......
Anorexic?No,she certainly isn't so thin as Kate Moss,I think she was quite nervous and lost some weight before the official enggement was announced;there are far more thinner girls by nature of their body or skinny like Allegra Versace(who really is ill)
All would be wonderful after they get married,I am sure!

firebee34 said:

I did notice she looked a bit slimmer, could be the position she is standing in though or maybe she is nervous about photos everywhere and wanted to look super good plus for her wedding- I sure once it all settles down she'll balance back out.

In the official engagement photos, she is positioned in a way that you see her from the side, which gives you the illusion of a slimmer appearance.

Kate is not anorexic and it's irresponsible to start spreading those kinds of rumors. As for whether CP Mary or CP Victoria's wedding dresses were boring......that's your opinion. I think classic and simple is not only the most flattering on a woman, but less dated. You don't want to look like the year you got married.

Sister Morphine said:
Kate is not anorexic and it's irresponsible to start spreading those kinds of rumors. As for whether CP Mary or CP Victoria's wedding dresses were boring......that's your opinion. I think classic and simple is not only the most flattering on a woman, but less dated. You don't want to look like the year you got married.

I don't think she was trying to start a rumor , just asking 1 question. I am sure no ill will was intended.....and to be fair no one actually knows anything about Kates eating habits either way, not starting a rumor just commenting not knowing goes both directions-

Let's not start the Kate is losing weight discussion.

So true. When I was a bridesmaid, the bride wore one of those headband contraptions that were so popular in 1988. Today the pictures look so odd. For the record, my dress was a slim-line bubblegum pink with cross-over v-neck, padded shoulders and peplum. It might look very dated now, but at least I know that I could once fit into a size eight.:lol:

You don't want to look like the year you got married.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom