Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone is religious. For example, I'm not. So I won't be getting married in a church, whenever that does occur. You have to design dresses that fit all brides, of all walks of life and backgrounds. Some brides are more modest or would prefer less revealing designs, so you have those. Some brides want outrageous dresses, so you have those. Some brides want dresses that are conservative for religious ceremonies, so you have those.

Getting married at the beach is popular because it's fun and romantic. Not every wedding must be this cold, austere function in a 900 year old church. As an atheist myself, I like the fact that I have literally hundreds of thousands of different options where I can get married.

Yes it is 4Pam. When the boys were little (and Diana and Charles were still obviously married) they would spend a couple of days with the Spanish on holiday. At least 2 to 3 times, I believe.

And as already mentioned, Charles did attend Felipe's wedding. Did he attend the Infantas...or did they send the Wessex's.

He attended Elena's but at Cristina it was Prince Edward as it was only a few weeks after Diana's death.

Not everyone is religious.... Not every wedding must be this cold, austere function in a 900 year old church. As an atheist myself, I like the fact that I have literally hundreds of thousands of different options where I can get married.

Not an option, I'm afraid, for the future head of the Church of England!

The more I think about the potential savings insecurity costs, the mosre I think that the Guards Chapel might be a really serious contender. Given the proximity to BP, the route to secure will be very short, just down Birdcage Walk (as opposed to Whitehall + The Mall), and any public appearance of the groom and bride will be from the balcony.

Not an option, I'm afraid, for the future head of the Church of England!

We weren't talking about places Catherine or William will marry. We were talking about wedding dresses and how a couple people here think no one makes wedding dresses for church weddings anymore.

Shelo is right - the Church of England is the "official" church in England.

I'm one of about 10,000 or so ministers, and we had to swear the Oath of Allegiance to HM the Queen before Ordination, so one can see how Monarchy and Church are bound up with each other.

I think this will change in the future .....

Shelo may be right about that point, but the point had nothing to do with the conversation they replied to.

The more I think about the potential savings insecurity costs, the mosre I think that the Guards Chapel might be a really serious contender. Given the proximity to BP, the route to secure will be very short, just down Birdcage Walk (as opposed to Whitehall + The Mall), and any public appearance of the groom and bride will be from the balcony.

The only other way to reduce security costs would be to use cars instead of carriages and in the event of a security problem a car can zoom off alot quicker than a carriage and horses I would imagine!

The usual route from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey is down the Mall, through Admiralty Arch, past Trafalgar Square and all teh way down Whitehall. A slightly shorter route would be to cut through Horseguards Parade.

Not everyone is religious. For example, I'm not. So I won't be getting married in a church, whenever that does occur. You have to design dresses that fit all brides, of all walks of life and backgrounds. Some brides are more modest or would prefer less revealing designs, so you have those. Some brides want outrageous dresses, so you have those. Some brides want dresses that are conservative for religious ceremonies, so you have those.

Getting married at the beach is popular because it's fun and romantic. Not every wedding must be this cold, austere function in a 900 year old church. As an atheist myself, I like the fact that I have literally hundreds of thousands of different options where I can get married.

Oh, absolutely. Not everyone is religious, I am not either, so I probably won't marry in a church. The only reason why I would do that is when my future fiancé would appreciate that.

I just think that most/too much wedding dresses today display the "let's have a fun day and dress accordingly" thought. I suppose I can see the fun part in a beach wedding but not the romantic part - I guess I'll say I am too serious for that kind of wedding. I find it sloppy.

I prefer a modest wedding dress with at least a bit of sleeve and I didn't mean one MUST marry in a church, I just intend to say that most of today's brides seem to think it's just a fun party. Almost like dressing up. And those dresses usually cost a fortune too, sorry but I can't see it. I am starting to think that most brides wear strapless because it's easy. Then I think: it's your wedding day, make a bit of an effort to look nice. Perhaps it's because I am traditional, I have seen the times where brides wore as much clothing as the groom and sometimes more. That made for a nice view..

I find a wedding a serious event that should be considered as such and it can be made as cheap/expensive as any individual wishes.

Last edited:
I hope that Royal Families who have members around the same age as William, will send those members. It would be nice to see the young ones together represent their countries.
For example: Guillaume, Felix and Louis of Luxemburg, Madeleine of Sweden, the Casiraghi's for Monaco, the children of Queen Noor for Jordan.

Oh, absolutely. Not everyone is religious, I am not either, so I probably won't marry in a church. The only reason why I would do that is when my future fiancé would appreciate that.

I just think that most/too much wedding dresses today display the "let's have a fun day and dress accordingly" thought. I suppose I can see the fun part in a beach wedding but not the romantic part - I guess I'll say I am too serious for that kind of wedding. I find it sloppy.

I prefer a modest wedding dress with at least a bit of sleeve and I didn't mean one MUST marry in a church, I just intend to say that most of today's brides seem to think it's just a fun party. Almost like dressing up. And those dresses usually cost a fortune too, sorry but I can't see it. I am starting to think that most brides wear strapless because it's easy. Then I think: it's your wedding day, make a bit of an effort to look nice. Perhaps it's because I am traditional, I have seen the times where brides wore as much clothing as the groom and sometimes more. That made for a nice view..

I find a wedding a serious event that should be considered as such and it can be made as cheap/expensive as any individual wishes.

A wedding can be a serious event but also be fun at the same time. I don't get this idea that you can't have fun on your wedding day. When my friend got married, instead of throwing rice at them when they left the venue, we blew bubbles at them. That doesn't mean they didn't take the vows or anything else seriously, it meant they could also have a good time and a fun time too.

A wedding can be a serious event but also be fun at the same time. I don't get this idea that you can't have fun on your wedding day. When my friend got married, instead of throwing rice at them when they left the venue, we blew bubbles at them. That doesn't mean they didn't take the vows or anything else seriously, it meant they could also have a good time and a fun time too.

What a lovely idea to blow bubbles at the bridal couple :)

I didn't mean to say that you can't have fun on your wedding day, of course you can. My greatest stumbling block just remains the uniformity strapless dresses of these days - almost all brides today look the same. Too simple and too bare.
In the 1990s there were still mostly sleeves around and only the rare strapless bride every now and then.
Now the sleeved bride is almost very rare and I am not modern enough to appreciate the trend.

I have wondered at this sleeveless and red roses for a bridal bouquet trend for years and still I don't see what's so beautiful/great about it.

Last edited:
I know what you mean Skippy.

Straples dresses are the norm and for some brides, unfortunately, they dont do them justice on their special day. I for, one thought that Claire Booth (Countess of Ulster) did not look good at all. She would have been better served in a dress similar to either of her sister in laws...Lady Davinia and Lady Rose.

I like the bolero if you must go strapless. I don't think Kate will go the strapless route.....depending on when she gets married we might actually get sleeves!

Shelo is right - the Church of England is the "official" church in England.

I'm one of about 10,000 or so ministers, and we had to swear the Oath of Allegiance to HM the Queen before Ordination, so one can see how Monarchy and Church are bound up with each other.

I think this will change in the future .....

While we can all offer suggestions what what WE would like to see at this wedding, I think Renata4711 gives a great reminder that there are some much larger and long-standing traditions that will guide many of the choices at this event.

While most of us have the option of considering barefoot beach weddings, sexy bridal slip dresses, candy buffets, homemade wedding invitations, and cupcake wedding cakes, these choices are likely not available to William and Kate.

Shelo, if you want to respond to something I've said in this thread, please respond to me in this thread, not on my profile. Thanks.

Also, you missed the point of what I was saying. We were talking about wedding dresses. We all know that William and Catherine can't have a beach wedding with the groom in a Tommy Bahama shirt and clam diggers and the bride in a sundress and flip-flops. However the discussion wasn't about locations for weddings, it was about the trend in wedding dresses moving toward the less stuffy and formal and more toward the informal, hence less suited for church weddings.

Last edited:
We weren't talking about places Catherine or William will marry. We were talking about wedding dresses and how a couple people here think no one makes wedding dresses for church weddings anymore.

I guess you could construe that statements have been made about the most highly marketed wedding gowns are unsuitable for a church wedding. However, any bride-to-be who IS religious can get the dress of her dreams outside ready-to-wear. I doubt Catherine will be buying off the rack.

Will Albert of Monaco attend? His mother was at the wedding of Diana.
But Caroline is the wife of the cousin of Queen Elizabeth. Maybe she gets an invitation.

I would say the Norwegian CP couple will come. They are close to Charles and attended as the only CPs at his wedding if I am right.

This will be exciting :flowers:

I guess you could construe that statements have been made about the most highly marketed wedding gowns are unsuitable for a church wedding. However, any bride-to-be who IS religious can get the dress of her dreams outside ready-to-wear. I doubt Catherine will be buying off the rack.

Oh I know. Most places you get dresses like David's Bridal can customize dresses according to the bride's tastes. They can add sleeves or take them off, change the color, make them longer, make them shorter.....the list goes on. I would imagine for Catherine, who is getting her dress custom-made, the same would apply only she's cutting out the middle-man. Rather than taking an already made dress and altering it how she wants, she can just get it made that way from the start.

Here's a lovely little ditty (emphasis on LITTLE) for the Beach Bride.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PX_SPXuPgNc/TBWZe_z2O3I/AAAAAAAAIP0/ktfzC20nAaY/s640/russian_bride4.jpg

Here's the Appalacian Dress
http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/823ugly_bride_1_.jpg
Russo bets their family tree doesn't fork enough. . .

Here's a nice Eastern European Bloc number.
http://tackyweddings.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/ugly_bride_03.jpg?w=450

Doubles as Even-ing Vhere.

If Catherine should become enciente before the big event, this one will save face.
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/18239/19_2007/UD13.jpg

The Lord of the Rings ensemble has some lovely bead work on it.
http://hollywoodhatesme.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ugly-bride.jpg

The Transgender style has really made a splash lately.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/IamtheToucan/ugly_bride_to_be.jpg

The BBC News is currently suggesting that a look through the Royal Diaries indicates that March/April might be easier to fit the wedding in to than in the summer. So we might not have too long to wait. But can they manage the arrangements in 4/5 months? :)

I think they can, yes. There's a lot more people involved in the planning of a royal wedding than say you or I's wedding, so there's more people to do all the tasks and get things done.

Will Albert of Monaco attend? His mother was at the wedding of Diana.
But Caroline is the wife of the cousin of Queen Elizabeth. Maybe she gets an invitation.

I would say the Norwegian CP couple will come. They are close to Charles and attended as the only CPs at his wedding if I am right.

This will be exciting :flowers:

Depending on when they have the wedding, I think he would attend.
EA isn't that closely related to HM. Whether Caroline attends depends on an invite.

I think they can, yes. There's a lot more people involved in the planning of a royal wedding than say you or I's wedding, so there's more people to do all the tasks and get things done.

I agree. Each department within the royal household will spring into action as if it's a state visit or other important event. No doubt- coordinating it will be a huge task (!) but it's not like they haven't pulled off big state occasions before.

If they are looking at March/April, Kate will need to choose a dress designer QUICKLY!

Wasn't there a procession of European royals, starting with the most junior, at Charles and Diana's wedding?

I'm sure there will be a good royal turnout for William's wedding and I doubt any of the European royals would want to miss out on such an occasion. The one royal I am hoping to see is CP Masako - love to see her attend.

Charles and Diana announced their engagement in February and married in July - 5 months later.

Andrew and Sarah did the same thing.

So 5 months is plenty of time to organise a British royal wedding.

Love it, Zonk!! I still have my Charles and Diana vase from 1981, brought back for me from an extended family member who was playing soccer in England. When I went to the UK in May 2005, the touristy knick-knack shops in Windsor were clearing out Charles and Camilla's wedding teacups (with both dates!) and I couldn't resist. I'll have to join you and buy a mug from this wedding as well!!

The only thing I bought in 1981 was a tea-pot stand. I still laugh at the fact that in 1986 it developed a large crack. It is still in use but very worn now of course.

My prized royal souvenir is a Golden Jubilee jug from 1897. I also have a full set of coronation mugs, in the same design, for all coronations in the 20th C, including Edward VIII's (yes I know he was never crowned but the mugs were made and sold and I have one).

I will get a mug of this marriage as I think having a collection would be something to leave my descendents.

"Doubles as Even-ing Vhere."

Russo --- that takes me back!!! That whole commercial was toooo funny! I wonder if there's a video available.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any chance she'll wear a strapless either. Which is fine with me. If your going to get married in a church cover up.

The only thing I bought in 1981 was a tea-pot stand. I still laugh at the fact that in 1986 it developed a large crack. It is still in use but very worn now of course.

My prized royal souvenir is a Golden Jubilee jug from 1897. I also have a full set of coronation mugs, in the same design, for all coronations in the 20th C, including Edward VIII's (yes I know he was never crowned but the mugs were made and sold and I have one).

I will get a mug of this marriage as I think having a collection would be something to leave my descendents.

Very cool! I know I won't be able to afford to go to Britain, but maybe there will be memorabilia sold in the States -- or at least I'm sure there will be on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom