Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it could be..... King Carl Gustav´s Wedding was also a morning event (Long dresses and hat) -- and he even was the reigning king at this time -- and Victoria´s was an afternoon (i.e. Tiara) wedding!

Oooh, I´d looooove to have another tiara wedding! Or at least a pre-wedding Tiara event!

Bye Bine

IMO, this will not be a tiara event (other than the bride). The BRF do not do "tiara weddings"

Kate Middleton: who will design the dress of the century? - Telegraph

So many options to choose from! While I'm in favor of her going with a more established designer (Vivienne Westwood, John Galliano, Alexander McQueen, or Stella McCartney), if economy is important a lesser-known designer is probably better. I can wait patiently.

Alexander McQueen is dead (committed suicide earlier this year), so I presume you mean the brand, now designed by Sarah Burton, who doesn't have the same levels of talent that he did. I don't think they would choose McQueen anyway given that Alexander stated that he sewed a very rude word into the lining of PC's suit when he worked as a tailor on Savile Row; too controversial a choice. Westwood would be absolutely great, but I think her style (big skirts, bodice, volume) is not very Kate; she's more clean lines, understated.

Stella McCartney wouldn't work IMO because she not that great at evening wear (i.e. full length dresses); she's better at day wear, cocktail dresses. But Galliano would be great! He used to be a bit of an enfant terrible of the fashion world in the 90s, but the work he does now at Dior is really quite classic and conservative a lot of the time (often referred to Dior's New Look), so he definitely has the talent and would probably relish the opportunity to do Kate's dress.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see a fashion forward choice even designer-wise, as Kate is hardly an interesting dresser. It will probably be a traditional upper class designer as favoured by other people in their circle.

As to the economy of the times, I get what you mean. But would big designers do a freebe/discount given the publicity they would get from an event watched by billions? I'm not sure if royalty gets involved in dealings like that (is it below them?!), but houses like Dior dress a-list celebs for free (although they don't usually get to keep the dresses).

My ultimate, fantasy dresses are more like these listed below, although I can't in a million years see Kate wearing them!

Nina Ricci by Olivier Theyskens
Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld 1 & 2
Christian Lacroix 1 & 2
Emmanuel Ungaro 1 & 2
Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci (but in white with a silvery/white overlay) 1 & 2

My ultimate, fantasy dresses are more like these listed below, although I can't in a million years see Kate wearing them!

Nina Ricci by Olivier Theyskens
Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld 1 & 2
Christian Lacroix 1 & 2
Emmanuel Ungaro 1 & 2
Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci (but in white with a silvery/white overlay) 1 & 2[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? :eek:

Last edited:
Not necessarily. He wouldn't be the first child to use the ring of a deceased parent or relative. Didn't Camilla's ring used to be the Queen Mother's?

Of course the ring thing is not a precedent. Camilla's ring was second-hand as well, but it is somewhat removed from being the engagement ring of the still controversial Diana.

Controversial to some but to William she is his beloved mother.

So I guess it all about personal preference. I see nothing wrong with Kate being given Dian's ring.

If they wed in St. Paul's, she will need an ENORMOUS dress not to get lost in all that space.

Controversial to some but to William she is his beloved mother.

So I guess it all about personal preference. I see nothing wrong with Kate being given Dian's ring.

I agree with that as well. It's simply that my first reaction was --- this isn't about Kate, it's about Diana. I still feel that way even though I slept on it.:flowers:

Is there a precedent/standard choice for attendants at British royal weddings with regards to adult Bridesmaids and younger ones?

My son noticed that all of Crown Princess Victoria's attendants were children and he thinks that is the same with the Countess of Wessex also. Is this the "norm" at royal weddings?

Also he has asked if other children are normally invited or is it just those in the wedding party?

Thank you.

I agree with that as well. It's simply that my first reaction was --- this isn't about Kate, it's about Diana. I still feel that way even though I slept on it.:flowers:

It's only about Diana to those that choose to interpret it that way. Although I was surprised about his choice, I feel the sentiment behind it was very endearing and special. It is now Kate's ring, and the symbol of their love and commitement. It's a very different relationship from his parents, and it will be a very different marriage.

I really doubt the Spencer tiara is coming out for the wedding. That's just TOO much Diana, and William has made it clear no one is filling anyone's shoes. While the ring (superstitions aside) was squarely Diana's personal jewelry, the Spencer tiara was never hers but owned by Earl Spencer and they even had a spat over her borrowing it so often. And in the years since Diana's death, we've learned that Earl Spencer was not the great brother he tried to present himself to be in his eulogy. Besides openly accusing William's family (royals) of mistreating Diana, he hasn't been very involved in the Princes' lives as he had publicly promised.

That said, I think Catherine will wear some jewelry belonging to her own mother. They might not be aristocratic with tons of heirlooms, but they are a closed knit bunch, and I'm sure Catherine would like to honor her own family.

Here are my thoughts: I think she will wear a tiara that's a gift from the Queen or from the Prince of Wales -- not the Spencer tiara not the Lover's Knot (although I think she will wear the latter on other occasions). Her dress will not be a puffy creation -- much more streamlined. The wedding will be in Westminster Abbey. Harry will be his supporter; she will not have adult bridesmaids but children -- I suspect the Linley, Chatto, and Wessex children -- although Edward and Sophie are obsessive about protecting their children.

Someone suggested that the title "Duke of Lancaster" might be given to William. This title, acquired by John of Gaunt, son of Edward III, upon his marriage to Blanche, the only surviving child of the very rich Duke of Lancaster in the 14th century, was absorbed into the crown upon the accession of John's eldest son as King Henry IV, after he wrested the throne from his cousin, King Richard II. I believe it has belonged to the monarch ever since and is part and parcel of his or her official string of titles. It is highly unlikely that the Queen would hand it over to William.

I wouldn't necessarily want the title Duke or Duchess of Clarence, given that the last speciman, the eldest son of Edward VII, was a rather problematic figure. He predeceased his father, which is why the UK ended up with his younger brother, George V, on the throne.

As for bridesmaids, I've noticed that royal weddings do not normally include adult attendants, though the Queen's did. The oldest attendant at the wedding of Prince William's parents was Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, then just 17. There are plenty of children in the extended royal family, and the bride and groom may have friends who are parents. Ms. Middleton might have a young cousin or two who would be suitable.

As for the dress, I should think Bruce Oldfield is a bit "old hat" by now. I do think Ms. Middleton will choose a slim, simple, sophisticated dress, since that is her style, though whatever she wears will have to play well at a distance and on television. The most elegant dress worn by a member of the family in recent years -- my opinion only, of course -- was Lady Rose Windsor's. It was the sort of thing I can imagine Middleton selecting.

Here are my thoughts: I think she will wear a tiara that's a gift from the Queen or from the Prince of Wales -- not the Spencer tiara not the Lover's Knot (although I think she will wear the latter on other occasions). Her dress will not be a puffy creation -- much more streamlined. The wedding will be in Westminster Abbey. Harry will be his supporter; she will not have adult bridesmaids but children -- I suspect the Linley, Chatto, and Wessex children -- although Edward and Sophie are obsessive about protecting their children.

I agree with everything you have said here but one major thing....I beleive she will have at least one adult bridesmaid her Sister....;)

Last edited:
As for the dress, I should think Bruce Oldfield is a bit "old hat" by now. I do think Ms. Middleton will choose a slim, simple, sophisticated dress, since that is her style, though whatever she wears will have to play well at a distance and on television. The most elegant dress worn by a member of the family in recent years -- my opinion only, of course -- was Lady Rose Windsor's. It was the sort of thing I can imagine Middleton selecting.

Nice to meet you vittoria. I use to live in Chicago. I agree with your statement on a suitable wedding dress.:flowers:

Shelo- I love your photoshopped pix!! Especially the last one! I'm hoping for a dress with sleeves too of some sort. A white dress is always lovely, but I prefer an ivory one, it's softer on the wearer!

They'll more than likely get married at the Abbey. He's the heir of the heir, but he's not so far down the food chain that getting married there would look obnoxious. Kate's dress will fit her personal style, which is very streamlined and modern, she most definitely will NOT wear a dress like her late mother-in-law's. She may have a tiara to wear on loan from the Queen, she may not. I don't know what the protocol is for someone marrying the heir to the heir. Charles and Camilla may buy a tiara or something for her to wear, that would be her own personal jewelry.

Thanks, everyone. I loved the Philippa Lepley dresses because of the fine detailed lace work and because many of them had a small sleeve of some sort. I can't stand all of the strapless dresses out there and think that a lace sleeve (however small) would be an elegant choice.

Now... if they get married in March, as one rumour suggests, we'll probably see something completely different (and much warmer for Kate!)

dont think the marriage will last. I think they might not be a monarchy to last I hope it will but I will be going over to school next year at AIU london maybe I will see the wedding, but a lot of people don`t even want a royal family anymore

Wasn't Diana not allowed her own selections for the Bridal Party? Do you think the RF has changed enough to allow Pippa to be a bridesmaid? I hope so I think it would be perfect.
I have to say I think that the RF will have a huge part in this but I believe that William knows what Kate wants and will see to it that she gets it. So if Pippa is her selection it will happen.
The dress I think will be a simple design too and she seems to favor low cut designs and I believe hers will be too in good taste of course.
I hope that she does get a heirloom tiara from the family not one bought in a store I think that is cheesy when they have so many! I agree the Spencer tiara is probably not going to be seen and the Lover's Knot would be nice but I don't see her as a pearly type of girl. Maybe with the diamond stones in it doesn't it change out?

dont think the marriage will last. I think they might not be a monarchy to last I hope it will but I will be going over to school next year at AIU london maybe I will see the wedding, but a lot of people don`t even want a royal family anymore

A lot of people? Who?

Why do you think it won't last?

I don't think Diana had a whisker of selection of anything except her wedding gown. But then, she knew pretty much nothing of protocol of royal stuff, nor of the church. Charles picked all the music, the soloist, the readings, etc.

I think Catherine would be lovely in pearls. She just hasn't tried them yet.

I don't think there's anything "cheesey" about a new tiara...not at all. I think it would be spiffy to have a "Catherine" tiara.

I don't think Diana had a whisker of selection of anything except her wedding gown. But then, she knew pretty much nothing of protocol of royal stuff, nor of the church. Charles picked all the music, the soloist, the readings, etc.

I think Catherine would be lovely in pearls. She just hasn't tried them yet.

I don't think there's anything "cheesey" about a new tiara...not at all. I think it would be spiffy to have a "Catherine" tiara.

Love the word spiffy. :flowers: A new tiara for the new spark in the royal family? :ROFLMAO:

Diana didn't have a choice on anything in her wedding I don't think. Watching a program about it a while ago, where The Queen comes up to Diana and tells her she can't have this woman as a bridesmaid/attendant because of her past. The same applied to Lord Snowdon I think?

I think Pippa will be featured, Autumn Phillips had Zara as a bridesmaid, don't see why Kate shouldn't be allowed.

No one has mentioned that Catherine might want to wear HER mother's earrings at her wedding.

My guesses/suggestions:

When: between 15th May (Football Final) and 10th June (Prince Philips birthday)
Time: morning, so guests in daytime outfits (no long dresses and no tiara's)
Where: Westminster Abbey
Dress: a british designer, no veil in front of her face
Tiara: Lover's knot
Best man: Harry (Can you have more than one? Then maybe Peter Philips too)
Bridesmaids: Kate's sister and a friend
Flower girls and pageboys: a mixture of little Windsors, Spencers, Middletons and godchildren

Where do you all think they will live after their marriage?

Last edited:
My guesses/suggestions:

When: between 15th May (Football Final) and 10th June (Prince Philips birthday)
Time: morning, so guests in daytime outfits (no long dresses and no tiara's)
Where: Westminster Abbey
Dress: a british designer
Tiara: Lover's knot
Best man: Harry (Can you have more than one? Then maybe Peter Philips too)
Bridesmaids: Kate's sister and a friend
Flower girls and pageboys: a mixture of little Windsors, Spencers, Middletons and godchildren

Where do you all think they will live after their marriage?

That is already known, they will live in North Wales.

Possible Unusual People Invited: Mohamed Al Fayed, Trevor Rees-Jones, Victoria Lockwood Aitken (Spencer), Caroline Freud (Spencer), Andrew Parker-Bowles, Peter Shand Kydd, Raine, Dowager Countess Spencer,

Whoa! I can't imagine that Mohamed Al Fayed would EVER be invited to a royal wedding???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom