Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we considered that William will not wear a historical RAF uniform like that worn by George VI; we thought it might look like a costume.

But I came across this: Full dress is now rarely worn except by the Foot Guards and the Household Cavalry. It is issued at public expense to these units; other units may obtain and wear Full Dress (in their pre-1914 pattern if no modern order is prescribed) for use in historical displays, when acting as ushers or lining parties at weddings, and when acting as a sword guard to the Royal Horse Artillery.[2] However, these uniforms must be purchased and maintained from non-public funds.

So, does this mean that William may wear a uniform modeled on his great-grandfather's? I hope so!
Will prince Harry also be in uniform or just wearing a suit?

wbenson said:
Royal Wedding: Diana's friend Sarah, Duchess of York is not invited by Prince William - Telegraph

Sarah, Duchess of York, who was close to Prince William's mother Diana, Princess of Wales, has been left off the guest list for his marriage to Kate Middleton.

“She will not be attending the wedding,” confirms a spokesman for the former wife of the Duke of York. “She never expected to be invited or to attend. She will be overseas at the time.”

I'm so surprised by this.
Will and Fergie must not have good relationship then. She is part of the family still regardless of the divorce. I wonder if she backed out on her own.

Does anyone know if Camilla's kids are invited??

Last edited:
Will and Fergie must not have good relationship then. She is part of the family still regardless of the divorce. I wonder if she backed out on her own.

If this article is true, then Will and Fergie aren't close.
Sarah Ferguson off guest list for royal wedding | The Sun |News

Camilla's daughter is definitely invited because her daughter, Eliza, is a bridesmaid. I would assume Camilla's son is as well.

A wedding gift from Africa: How many cows the royal bride is worth

South African tradition dictates a groom give his fiance’s family symbolic payment for her hand in marriage. This payment is called the bride’s labola, and traditionally, the payment comes in cows.
A South African discount airline, Kulula, is offering to pay Kate Middleton a labola.
If the Middleton family accepts, the corporation will deliver cows to Buckingham palace.
There is one catch— fans will decide via Facebook how many cows the royal bride is worth. - Times Live
Cows may gatecrash the royal wedding
South Africa airline to offer cows for royal wedding

I don't know why anyone would assume they did. Sarah has not been a member of the Royal Family for 19 years, and it was widely known that her relationship with Diana had disintegrated and they hadn't been on speaking terms since before Diana's death. She admits herself that she hasn't been a part of William or Harry's lives since they were children.

I would have been more surprised if they had invited her.

I think it's perfectly normal they dont invite Sarah. They didnt speak to each other for 15 years (in the telegraph today). So if it was you, or me, or anybody else, whould you invite somebody you didnt see and speak for 15 years. probably not! she was diana's friend and so what, it's not diana's wedding!!! where do you see that you invite at your wedding your mother's friend? I'm sure william and kate have each one plenty of relatives or friend or people they care for and they could not invite because of space or protocole, so why invite somebody you dont care for?

:previous: I would agree that it doesn't make sense to invite someone you don't have a relationship with.

I disagree with the statement of your mother's friend. My girlfriend's destination wedding was attended by many of her late mother's girlfriends who wanted to share the day with my girlfriend. They all came to Aruba via Philadelphia, PA.

In regards to William not caring for Sarah, I wouldn't make such a statement without proof. Do you know what William thinks? I think Sarah not attending the wedding has more to do with the fact that even with 1800 attendees, there are people who rank a little higher on the important list (as opposed to family, friends, VIP's) than Sarah.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what everyone wears to the wedding!
I read somewhere that the Queen chooses a color, and then the rest of the royal ladies must avoid that color, and wear something else.

(I read somewhere that the Queen plans to wear pink, but that may just be a rumor).

It will be interesting to see what everyone wears to the wedding!
I read somewhere that the Queen chooses a color, and then the rest of the royal ladies must avoid that color, and wear something else.

(I read somewhere that the Queen plans to wear pink, but that may just be a rumor).

To the first Weddings of her children she always wore a shade of blue (in Edwrds case lavender). perhaps she contnues this tradition.

Last year they said that commoners would be invited.

Commoners May Attend The Royal Wedding of William and Kate

Does anyone know how did they select ordinary people?

The article, which is hardly reliable says;

The palace has dismissed allegations that a Willy Wonka-style lottery will be held to ascribe the coveted invitations for the great event to the commoners.
Sources told People magazine that it is more likely that the commoners that could attend the wedding will be coming from the charities the two are close to.

So IF they do invite these people, it won't be commoners it will be people who know the couple and are participants of chosen charities.
I haven't seen any other articles other than this one.

Pictures of wedding invitation

BelgaPicture - Category details

Royally boring. :)

Last edited:
Discusses who received invites. Royal Wedding Invitations Sent To 1,900 Guests

Gilded invitations issued in the name of Queen Elizabeth II were mailed earlier in the week, and more than half the guests were drawn from the royal couple's family and friends, palace officials said.

Around 50 members of the British royal family were invited -- although the Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, was not among them -- in addition to 40 members of foreign royal families.

A further 80 guests will be drawn from Prince William's philanthropic commitments, which include homelessness charity Centrepoint and the Royal Marsden Hospital, where his late mother Princess Diana was also a patron.

The host of British and foreign dignitaries on the list reflects Prince William's position as second-in-line to the throne, and though it is not a state event, 200 members of government, parliament and the diplomatic corps, as well as 60 governors-general and prime ministers from Commonwealth countries were expected to attend.

All of these showbiz tabloid writers are claiming that they received an invite to the wedding on Twitter. That seems really strange, and I'm guessing that they're making it all up. For those who watch these events, would this be normal or bizarre for the BRF?

Examples from Twitter:

danwootton (Showbiz Editor of the News of the World): Just received my invite to the royal wedding. How exciting.

(Regarding Wootton's invite) TVKev: @drinkdevil40 He didn't get one. And believe me ...I am no royalist.

TVKev (Sunday Mirror's TV columnist): Just received my invitation to the royal wedding. How unexciting. They can shove it. #vivelerepublic

Ed_StarOnSunday: You'll never guess who has been invited to the royal wedding! @JAMESINREHAB (Edit the Rehab showbiz column on the Daily Star Sunday) is very pleased indeed. All the goss in tomorrow

Last edited:

I would imagine so as Laura's daughter is to be one of the bridesmaids in the wedding. I don't think they'd invite Laura and not Tom.

Both of Camilla's children will be invited. They are, after all, William's step brother and step sister. Both William and Harry attended their weddings. And Laura's daughter is a going to a bridesmaid. Bad taste to ask your daughter to a bridesmaid and not invite the mother. Which I don't believe to be the case.

All of these showbiz tabloid writers are claiming that they received an invite to the wedding on Twitter. That seems really strange, and I'm guessing that they're making it all up. For those who watch these events, would this be normal or bizarre for the BRF?

Examples from Twitter:

danwootton (Showbiz Editor of the News of the World): Just received my invite to the royal wedding. How exciting.

(Regarding Wootton's invite) TVKev: @drinkdevil40 He didn't get one. And believe me ...I am no royalist.

TVKev (Sunday Mirror's TV columnist): Just received my invitation to the royal wedding. How unexciting. They can shove it. #vivelerepublic

Ed_StarOnSunday: You'll never guess who has been invited to the royal wedding! @JAMESINREHAB (Edit the Rehab showbiz column on the Daily Star Sunday) is very pleased indeed. All the goss in tomorrow

If you ask me, it's rather a case of illusion and dreaming on. Except, of course, for TVKev :ROFLMAO:

Sarah isn't part of Williams family, she is just his cousins mother who we now know does not have a relationship with. Camilla and her children are William's family, so of course they will naturally attend. Especially since Camilla's goddaughter is a wee flowergirl and that William has been friends with Tom and Laura since childhood.

And what about the Spencer family, who are Williams "real family"?

What are you asking? If they have been invited?

And what about the Spencer family, who are Williams "real family"?

Isn't one of the Spencer boys supposed to be one the groomsmen? The 16 year old son of Earl Spencer if I read right?

I didn't know they had been included in the attendants list?
But yes, I was asking if anyone thought they'd be invited.

I don't like the argument "Sarah is their cousins mother" and Camilla's family is their "real" family. Sarah was Williams aunt for 14 years and Harrys for 11. I am surprised by her absence.

I don't like the argument "Sarah is their cousins mother" and Camilla's family is their "real" family. Sarah was Williams aunt for 14 years and Harrys for 11. I am surprised by her absence.

You caught me as I went rummaging back to where I'd heard about Louis Spencer as a part of the wedding. It *is* the DM so who knows if its true.

"Princess Diana’s nephew the Honourable Louis Spencer,16-year-old son of Earl Spencer, is expected to be a ‘groomsman’, similar to an usher."

Read more: Royal wedding: Prince William names Harry as best man but no wild stag night | Mail Online

I wasn't surprised she wasn't invited, not because she isn't family to them (as you say a cousin's mother is still family in my opinion even if she is no longer married to your cousin's father) but more because of who she actually is & her reputation/notoriety. I'm not saying that she'd turn up & cause mayhem or something but just that if they invited her there would be the potential for the media (not her necessarily) to make it into something that it isn't, cause problems/make drama where none existed & really, why risk that on such a big, public day?

Plus really the RF isn't quite like your average family, especially when it comes to public events & the heir to throne (or in this case the heir to the heir). There is a lot of protocol, a lot of fuss of how things come across, a lot of attention on exactly who sits where, who is seen with who, who is allowed where etc etc. Everything has significance when it comes to these public events & nothing can be left to chance so I wasn't really expecting Fergie to get an invite simply because of her history/notoriety with the RF. Again not because she was being punished or whatever for past behaviour or because she'd somehow ruin the day herself but simply to avoid any potential risk that the media could make some drama out of anything/anyone attending. It's why I also think that Kate's Uncle Gary may not be invited or if he is invited he's not going to be seen. This isn't jsut your average family wedding, this is a big, stage-managed down to the smallest detail with a great emphasis on protocol & the smallest thing to us could be of massive significance to the RF & their protocol etc & no way they'd risk anything causing unneccessary drama when a large of portion world will be watching ;)

Two questions- on the invite what's the KG stand for after William's name? Also is it possible the media mean their media 'invites'? I imagine they would have some media in the church to write in it....

Two questions- on the invite what's the KG stand for after William's name? Also is it possible the media mean their media 'invites'? I imagine they would have some media in the church to write in it....

Knight of The Garter.
Those media people won't be taking pictures or have actually invites.

KG stands for Knight of the Garter.

Edit: oh well, better two responses than none at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom