Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I looked it all up. Here's the information on the bridesmaids and page boys

The Attendants

Bridesmaid: The Honorable Margarita Armstrong -Jones, age 8, daughter of David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley and Serena Armstrong Jones (nee Stanhope), Vicountess Linley, and grandson of HRH Princess Margaret Windsor (deceased) and Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon. Miss Armstrong-Jones is 1st Cousin once removed of HRH Prince William of Wales, and grandniece HM Queen Elizabeth II.

Bridesmaid: Miss Grace Van Custem, age 3, daughter of Mr. Edward Van Custem and Lady Tamara Van Custem (nee Grosvenor) daughter of the Duke of Westminster. Miss Van Custem is HRH Prince William of Wales' Goddaughter.

I believe the press release indicates that Miss Grace van Cutsem is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh van Cutsem. Rose van Cutsem was formerly an Astor, not Grosvenor, as was pointed out by somebody else further back in this thread. Also, William and Margarita Armstrong-Jones are second cousins, as their fathers are first cousins. :flowers:

The question remains unaswered (for me at least) as to whether Kate has any young cousins who would have been suitable to be attendants at her wedding. My guess is that there are not and so her sister was chosen to be maid of honour. I am quite sure that if Kate had a young neice or nephew or God-child they would have been included too. Personally, when I was Kate and William's age, my sister hadn't had children yet so had I married I would have had to rely on my partner's family....funny thing is there are no young children on his side either!

Wrong; it is your opinion that it is William's wedding. I say that it is their wedding, or is he marrying himself?

I think that your comment is very presumptuous. Only because William is the royal and royal protocol has to be followed doesn't automatically mean that he has more say in things and/or that his opinion counts most to make decisions final.
You make it sound like she has to be at his beck and calling and should be happy with whatever preference of hers is included at all.

I agree; a marriage is, first and foremost, a partnership. William can't always have his way even if he IS royalty or the partnership won't work out. Both partners have to have an equal say in a successful marriage IMO.

It's one thing if Kate is okay with this because of whatever choices they made TOGETHER; its another if its just one of those "he's royalty, this is how its going to be done" things.

IMO- if it was the latter it sets a pretty bad precedent for their relationship.

The question remains unaswered (for me at least) as to whether Kate has any young cousins who would have been suitable to be attendants at her wedding. My guess is that there are not and so her sister was chosen to be maid of honour. I am quite sure that if Kate had a young neice or nephew or God-child they would have been included too. Personally, when I was Kate and William's age, my sister hadn't had children yet so had I married I would have had to rely on my partner's family....funny thing is there are no young children on his side either!

I have to say- this is true of my family as well. Perhaps Kate just didn't have anyone that she trusted or liked enough to have in the wedding party aside from her sister.

Maybe she didn't want to expose her young relatives to the public as their only claim to be celebre is their relationship to her. Probably she's had enough to be called "Wisteria sisters" together with Pippa and does not want this kind of "exposure" (necessary for her and non-changeble for Pippa) on the small ones of her family. Apart from that - does Michael Middleton has a brother or sister? Carole M. has her infamous brother, whose daughter, if he has one at all, would surely be a bit problematic.

With regard to who is making the decisions for the wedding, I would like to think that William and Kate are discussing things properly by telling eachother what they want and how they want things. There are certain traditions and protocols that will be adhered to, but I doubt in this day and age Kate is being left out of things. At the end of the day, if I was marrying into royalty, I would have a clue how to organise a royal wedding and would need all the advice and suggestions I could get. There would be certains things I woudl insist on such as a favourite piece of music for instance, but I wouldn't try and push for, say, heavy metal in Westminster Abbey even if heavy metal was my favourite thing.

I am sure that at the end of the wedding day we will see clearly the influences that Kate had put in to the event - we will certainly know by then what choices of things were made by whom!

While I'm sure Kate has a great deal of input, I understand what KittyAtlanta means- the arrangements (Westminster Abbey, public holiday, carriages, street parties, television coverage, etc.) would be the same, no matter who William was marrying.

Basically, it's all about him, not her.

While I'm sure Kate has a great deal of input, I understand what KittyAtlanta means- the arrangements (Westminster Abbey, public holiday, carriages, street parties, television coverage, etc.) would be the same, no matter who William was marrying.

Now that you have put it like that I understand KittyAtlanta's comment better, but I still disagree.

The thing you mention is what is called protocol - not the entire wedding and all surrounding things and activities.

Now that you have put it like that I understand KittyAtlanta's comment better, but I still disagree.

The thing you mention is what is called protocol - not the entire wedding and all surrounding things and activities.

Lets face it. Both William and Kate were well aware of the type of wedding they would have to have when they decided to marry. They took their time getting engaged as I do believe William wanted to make sure Kate knew what she was getting into and what her life would be like married to him. This couple comes across as a very unified team and I'd be really surprised if any of the decisions whether it be the attendants, the place for the ceremony, the honeymoon etc were NOT made jointly by the pair. They are going all out to make sure that no one is forgotten in their big day from Diana's engagement ring to having Camilla's granddaughter as a bridesmaid. I think both of them are putting a lot of hours of thought into every detail of this wedding and they are doing it together. However, there is one aspect of this wedding that I know will be Kate's alone and that is her dress. She's definitely keeping that big secret from William until the big day. :D

Is that not what I am also saying then? Making joint decisions.

I agree about her dress - he has nothing to say about that :D :D
I wish I could say beforehand that I am sure that she will look great, but I am a bit hesitant. I don't know what to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muriel, my comment is very straight forward. It is a royal wedding from beginning to end. William is the royal and has more say in things. So, let's be honest, OK?

He doesn't have a say in everything. It isn't his wedding, it is their wedding. William cannot marry William. Opinion and fact are two different things.

Muriel, my comment is very straight forward. It is a royal wedding from beginning to end. William is the royal and has more say in things. So, let's be honest, OK?

This is a ROYAL wedding being paid for by the Queen and Prince Charles, and like all Royal weddings there are certain traditions that are usually followed. Therefore, although William AND Kate have their say in making this as personal as possible, if the Queen wants certain traditions adhered to, then that is the way it will be. Thus far there seems to be a compromise on tradition combined with William AND Kate's wishes.

Possibly Kate and William's wishes are the same, thus it maybe 'william's wedding' but also Kate's....when I got married I lead the decision making but my husband agreed with every decision so thus while some may have considered it 'my' wedding it was in accuality 'ours'......

He doesn't have a say in everything. It isn't his wedding, it is their wedding. William cannot marry William. Opinion and fact are two different things.

Its been obvious so far that William and Kate want to do things their way for this wedding. Actually Kate is really lucky that William wants to be so involved in the planning of the wedding. I've known a lot of brides that were handed the entire package of planning the wedding while the groom is off playing golf somewhere or something. We have to remember too that he does have his duties at the RAF base.

If there is anyone that would be overriding a decision of William and/or Kate on matters, it would be the courtiers and HM herself or they'd at least try to. William and Kate both could decide they wanted her to arrive by hot air balloon and have clowns in the bridal party and have her wedding march be "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" while she merrily skips up the aisle to join Will but it would be the courtiers that would squash that one. IIRC, HM was not happy about Kate arriving in a car but that is what they decided would be the best.

Lets face it. Both William and Kate were well aware of the type of wedding they would have to have when they decided to marry...
Agreed, it's not like William & Kate have only known each other a few months & barely even dated at all. They known each other years, dated for years, lived together in some sense for at least a fair amount of time, Kate has seen the media attention, been to some events & seen somewhat what goes on & I'm sure that over the years they've talked about marriage & what it would actually entail, specifically as to what it would mean for her. Kate is not going into this blind & naive, swept along on royal protocol & whatever William's wants, she knows what she's getting into & obviously has accepted it as what happens if she's marries William. Whilst perhaps the detials are not necessarily her actual outright choosing, I doubt there's anything going on that she actually disagrees with or is unacceptable to her.

Also I was thinking that perhaps Kate does have her own friends etc who perhaps in a "normal" wedding would have played a role as bridesmaids or whatever but with this being a wedding that is of huge media interest, shown on tv to potentially millions etc, perhaps any of her friends actually didn't really fancy that kind of pressured, front row seat type role. I know if I were asked to take part in a wedding such as this I'd run a mile to be honest, I'd be too scared of mucking something up & ruining it all inf ront of millions on tv etc. Just pure speculation/imagination on my part of course ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly Kate and William's wishes are the same, thus it maybe 'william's wedding' but also Kate's....when I got married I lead the decision making but my husband agreed with every decision so thus while some may have considered it 'my' wedding it was in accuality 'ours'......

But then the question has to be asked ... did he agree because that was what he wanted or because he didn't want to upset you?

When I got married there were certainly things I didn't want but he did so we compromised. I couldn't imagine having him agree to everything I wanted or me to everything he wanted - that would be just too weird for us.

Back to the topic - I am sure Kate is having some say in things, William having some say and the Queen having her say - she is hosting it and so has the right to say yes or no to some things - like anyone hosting for a wedding.

IIRC, HM was not happy about Kate arriving in a car but that is what they decided would be the best.

And yet I've read reports where supposedly the Queen actually suggested Kate arrive by car! Lol, ah the consistency of the media! :lol:

Iluvbertie said:
But then the question has to be asked ... did he agree because that was what he wanted or because he didn't want to upset you?.

Haha -maybe both :)

My point is like yours, maybe every one is having a bit of say (William, Kate, HM) and on somethings they agree.....for example possibly both Kate AND William wanted Camilla's granddaughter and his godchildren in the wedding....just my thought

Last edited:
Its been obvious so far that William and Kate want to do things their way for this wedding. Actually Kate is really lucky that William wants to be so involved in the planning of the wedding. I've known a lot of brides that were handed the entire package of planning the wedding while the groom is off playing golf somewhere or something. We have to remember too that he does have his duties at the RAF base.

If there is anyone that would be overriding a decision of William and/or Kate on matters, it would be the courtiers and HM herself or they'd at least try to. William and Kate both could decide they wanted her to arrive by hot air balloon and have clowns in the bridal party and have her wedding march be "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" while she merrily skips up the aisle to join Will but it would be the courtiers that would squash that one. IIRC, HM was not happy about Kate arriving in a car but that is what they decided would be the best.

Osipi, you do make me laugh!!! What a picture you paint!

Here's the full line. Not appropriate for a royal wedding, but I think they have some nice alternatives to the strapless uniforms out there for us mortals.
B H L D N

Last edited:
So far the ring belonged to his mum and 7 of the 8 main wedding attendants come from his family/friends. IMO this isn't normal, or at the very least, it's not a balanced state of affairs and can't bode well for the future.

Last edited:
Kate might not have alot of people in her family or if she does they are not the right ages. From the list someone posted it looks like they want young kids and a couple of adults.

This is a ROYAL wedding being paid for by the Queen and Prince Charles, and like all Royal weddings there are certain traditions that are usually followed. Therefore, although William AND Kate have their say in making this as personal as possible, if the Queen wants certain traditions adhered to, then that is the way it will be. Thus far there seems to be a compromise on tradition combined with William AND Kate's wishes.

Here, here! I'm happy to see that some of William and Kate's compromises with tradition are being considered but this isn't your average "hollywood" wedding. It's the pomp, history and tradition of it all that makes it so interesting.

So far the ring belonged to his mum and 7 of the 8 main wedding attendants come from his family/friends. IMO this isn't normal, or at the very least, it's not a balanced state of affairs and can't bode well for the future.

I have to disagree. The make up of a wedding party does not make a marriage. A wedding ring does not make or break a marriage. The relationship foundation that they have laid over the past 8 years and the future that they will build is what will help their marriage succeed.

I think with as long as Kate and Will have been together, friends are most likely considered their friends rather than his friends. Although not in the public eye, these people must have gotten together for vacations, parties and celebrations over the past years Just as William feels very much "at home" with his future in-laws, I imagine Kate feels the same way about most of his family too. Just because we've never seen them together "officially" or in the public eye, doesn't meant they don't have a sort of relationship.

My bet is still on Kate's brother James to make the wedding cake.

But the ceremonial, 'royal' parts of the wedding like the things you mentioned above aren't any more about William, as an individual, than they are about Kate. They're about his position as future King. Yes, as you say, the arrangements would be the same if William were marrying someone other than Kate, but they'd also be the same if Harry or some random other person was the eldest son of the Prince of Wales and was getting married. I think both William and Kate are equally limited by that side of things - maybe William's idea of the perfect wedding is a ceremony on a beach somewhere but there's no way that can happen. On the things that they DO have control over I haven't seen any indication that it's more about him than her.

Last edited:
Dear angela,
I was told by another member to go back to the Monaco forum and bash Charlene and Albert because I too sensed something was off balance here and it was considered being nasty.The future of the marriage can sometimes be seen by the day of the wedding. I qualify with the word sometimes.
The ring is a recycled blue sapphire which brought Diana nothing but sorrow and I do not understand if catherine is going to become her own person to paraphrase Wills why he would give and she would accept the ring of his mother whose jewel is considered bad luck.If they claim to want a new start they should have bought a new ring to signify their new happiness and assist to complete a statue with fountain for Diana as inclusion of her memory for posterity. For the wedding they could have had somebody from Diana's side read the wedding scripture lesson- possibly the favorite of Diana- or the exact one read at her wedding- or had the music she chose as her anthem etc...
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Diamond Personally I would be having trouble with a lot of this however, if Catherine wishes and does want to accept any conditions then so be it.That does not mean however that I have to agree with it and neither do you. I digress but I think Catherine does acquiesce to much more than I would. The personal initiative of Diana -granted no angel at times is not there that spunk- has not yet become apparent so this has been a wedding so far in the making of Catherine yielding as she did in courtship to whatever is handed her.Granted the BRF have the power and the money but the Middletons have only one Catherine.I would be glad if she was a bit more assertive. When Wills walks ahead of her like he does what do you expect- a balanced wedding party?[having equal numbers on both sides?] cannot see it.

Last edited:

You can't forget the key role Kate's father will play in the wedding. He will be walking his daughter down the aisle and giving her hand to William.

Also...

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Royal Wedding team unveiled

"But aides emphasised that Kate, 29, has been with William for so long that she has become close to all of them. The couple have been dating for eight years."

I don't believe that the blue sapphire brought about a bad marriage. The two individuals in the marriage both played a part in the downfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom