Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they'll change their minds about this and, for me, they don't have to.

I thought the same.
It is totally allright for me that she will use a car and not the carriage. I really don't get why this decision is such a big problem.

I actually want them to do everything different compared to 1981. I find it important to keep the memory of Diana as a "fairytale princess" and "victim" of a bad marriage out of this new wedding and marriage. It is probably very awkward for Catherine to be compared to Diana all the time. So i liked their decision not to marry in St. Pauls.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex have represented the Queen at the royal weddings for the last couple of years.

In regards to Charles and Camilla's marriage to William and Kate's there really no need for comparison for a couple of reasons 1) this was Charle's 2nd marriage 2) at his 1st marriage there were tons of Royal families represented and 3) William is not the heir but the heir's heir.(...)

I knew this. But i always had the impression that the British royals are not very close to the other royal families. I think the British royals are close to the Greece royals and to the British nobility and gentry. But even when Prince Nikolaos married last summer, not even the second row of British royals where there (e.g. Harry, Edward and Sophie or Beatrice/Eugenie. Just Lady Gabriella was there).
So although the Windsor family is closely related to every other European royal family, they do not seem to have a lot of contact.
So i think, we will see a few foreign royal in April, but there will not be so many compared to Victoria's wedding.

Well the British royals certainly aren't as close as their fellow European royals I agree.
But we don't know how close or not close they are.

I mean, I have heard that some of the royals have made private visits to England and met the Queen. But of course that is just hearsay...no definitite proof.

I think we also need to remember the generation gap.

William is technically around the age of Victoria but Victoria as the next Queen of Sweden is really Charles's peer in regards to rank. In fact all of the big royal weddings of the last 10 years have dealt with Charles's peers.

Also, a lot of the Queens and Kings that came to Victoria's wedding...literally have relationships with her (godmothers, 2nd cousins, mentors) and have just watched her grown up and met her on several occassions. Its like the neighborhood kid that everyone is particularly fond of and her parents invite the other neighborhood parents to the wedding.

Now if Carl Gustaf's father hadn't died, and instead had the opportunity to be King (and with all things remaining the same) I wonder if Victoria would have had the opportunity to lead a quieter (and more private) life. Cause technically, she would have been as equal to William. But that is the topic of another thread.

Last edited:
I was watching the videos of A & S wedding day, and the route from the Abbey up to BP seemed like a very short one. is it really that close or they edited the video and I didn't realize it??

I was watching the videos of A & S wedding day, and the route from the Abbey up to BP seemed like a very short one. is it really that close or they edited the video and I didn't realize it??

It's only one tube station away and if you want to, you can walk through St. James' park - it's not far. But Catherine will detour a bit, along the Mall, through Admirality Arch, along Whitehall, via Parliament Square to the Abbey. It's the way the queen takes when she opens parliament, so I guess the security measurements are firmly planned through and trained.

A sign of the times. April will be here soon enough.

I just remembered that kate is allergic to horses! Perhaps she didn't want to take a horse carriage to the church incase she had a reaction during the wedding, she could risk having a reaction after the wedding though because taking anti-histamines wldnt be an issue then.

It's only one tube station away and if you want to, you can walk through St. James' park - it's not far. But Catherine will detour a bit, along the Mall, through Admirality Arch, along Whitehall, via Parliament Square to the Abbey. It's the way the queen takes when she opens parliament, so I guess the security measurements are firmly planned through and trained.

Tnks :flowers:

I actually found a great recreation of the route she'll be taking that day
Check it out : Video: Royal Wedding - the route in 42 seconds - Telegraph

Does anyone else get the feeling that Ms. Middleton is making a statement with the transportation to WA in a car and after marrying leaving by carriage as a royal? This is what I think.:flowers:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Ms. Middleton is making a statement with the transportation to WA in a car and after marrying leaving by carriage as a royal? This is what I think.:flowers:

In a way I do, but I feel it's more then I am not a princess, now I am a princess, and more along the lines of I am still private and the public doesn't need a full view of me vs. now we are married and understand the public expects a full view.....I believe Ms Middleton is still weary on excepting the public side of marrying into the BRF but that is just my view of it..who knows what she is really thinking.....William and Kate don't seem like lavish over the top people either so maybe that is the reason....:whistling:

According to Richard Palmer, there were a few reasons that Kate chose to arrive by car.

Royal aides said the car was Kate’s choice, partly to avoid accusations of lavishness in the economic times, and partly because she wanted to stress the change in her status.

“It’s her personal choice. She is still going to be Miss Middleton at that point, so she wanted to have a low-key arrival with a departure in splendour as a royal princess,” a senior adviser to the couple said.

“It will still be a very dignified arrival. She will use one of the State cars from the royal mews,” the adviser said, acknowledging that it could be the Rolls-Royce Phantom VI in which Charles and Camilla were attacked during anti-tuition fee riots in December.

I really like the fact that she'll be arriving by car, and leaving by carriage.

She might take the idea a step further and do what Sarah Ferguson did by arriving with flowers in front of her tiara and leaving with the tiara showing.

I wonder if arriving by car might be a security precaution, especially after the scare Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall had? One of those bulletproof Rolls would be easier to protect than the glass coach, although the couple will be riding back in an open carriage, so I don't know.:confused:

Kate arriving in one of the amazing Phantom Rolls Royces will be a wonderful experience because the windows and glass roof will allow people to see her more clearly from more angles. Also, these cars are far more spacious (the Glass Carriage is quite cramped in comparison) and so she will be able to alight more gracefully and with a less squashed gown.

Are we sure this whole car instead of the glass coach isn't all just a ruse? Maybe someone at BP broke the glass coach & they don't want everyone to know about it. I smell a coverup! :shifty:

I joke of course. ;)

Personally I never particularly liked the glass coach anyway, prefer the open ones they use more often for like trooping the colour.

I wonder if arriving by car might be a security precaution, especially after the scare Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall had? One of those bulletproof Rolls would be easier to protect than the glass coach, although the couple will be riding back in an open carriage, so I don't know.:confused:

C&C's car got smashed up, which will be of similar make as the one Kate will travel in. The glass coach, will be bulletproof, I can imagine.
Like i've said, I don't see why it has to do with security, or the coach being damaged. But that she just doesn't want to travel in the Glass Coach?

She might take the idea a step further and do what Sarah Ferguson did by arriving with flowers in front of her tiara and leaving with the tiara showing.

Sarah did look marvellous on her wedding day and that touch was great - enter as a plain Miss Ferguson and leave as a Princess - HRH The Princess Andrew, The Duchess of York etc.

I don't think Kate would do something like that but then again she might do so as she is doing the same thing - arriving as a commoner and leaving as a Princess.

Yes, I remember seeing pics of all of the latest royal brides outside of the churches the day before the event.

Didn't Diana or Sarah practice with a big long curtain (or train) attached to her clothes, since the weight of her wedding train was so heavy? Does anyone else remember that?

I only remember photos of Sophie with something tied around her waist :)

Do you think Kate took a page out of the Earl and Countess of Wessex's wedding book? The Countess arrived by car but left by carriage. And I believe the Countess's route to the chapel at Windsor Castle is much shorter than Kate's will be.

I only remember photos of Sophie with something tied around her waist :)

That could be it. I do remember that as well...Sophie wearing a white business shirt.

You've seen one British royal wedding you've seen a ton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom