Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: That's what I though too, but some of the articles are reporting like she won't be doing it at all. weird.
perhaps they , like me, read only one part of the news :lol:

i don't think it was catherine's choice to go by car. sophie rhys jones and autumn philips (most recent last weddings of the BRF) did so as well. i guess it's safer and reflects protocol better. to me, this is not demeaning at all of what will be a wonderful wedding nevertheless. and those who want a carriage will have it on the way out. :)

i'm happy they have released more details, it's been quiet for a while! i wonder when kate's wedding designer will be revealed, if at all before the wedding like other houses did. was sophie's designer, for example, revealed before the wedding?

I think it is a good idea to have a "2 stage" reception - a larger one just after the wedding for a bigger group of people, and then a smaller, more intimate dinner and dance for the family, close friends and probably other visiting royals.

I am presuming that if the wedding is at 11am, the couple should be back at BP by 1pm, allowing for a balcony appearance soon, and the end of the larger reception by say 4pm. They could then have the second event starting at say 8pm, and carrying on till late - the only concern is the length of the day for the couple and the guests.

I still say Bogus on the no glass coach. I'll live....... but still very disappointed!

I think the car to church is suitable not only for Kate's position but especially for the time of year involved. It could easily be cold & rainy, as you'll recall Diana & Sarah both had mid-summer weddings, luckily sunny. So, the weather & security issues might be at the fore here -- warm, safe & dry, I say. And, if the weather is rainy, they might have to ride in an enclosed carriage back to the palace. I'm glad to get the update and can't wait for the next!

Having her arrive by car makes sense and I'm sure that it'll be a "bubbletop"

Think it is the best idea for Kate to travel in a car - this as the BBC pointed out in this evenings news coverage is the 21st century and times have changed. There is less need for a showy pricey wedding. The car journey followed by the carriage procession reflects Kate's move from commoner to royalty.

Having her arrive by car makes sense and I'm sure that it'll be a "bubbletop"

Indeed, I really doubt it'll be a "standard" car, it'll probably be one of the ones the Royal family regularly use that has huge windows & what have you so everyone can see the occupant/s quite well & is spacious. It's not going to be like her Dad's range rover or something, lol! ;)

I love the fact that she arrives a commoner by car and leaves as a princess in a carriage....it's so romantic I think!!

I must admit finding myself a tad disappointed that she'll arrive by car - just because a carriage seems to make things a bit more special, and I suppose I just expected it to happen with royal weddings in London. However, I think on the day itself I'll probably be so swept up in the excitement that, in the end, it won't matter too much.

BBC News - Prince William and Kate Middleton reveal wedding plans

Kate said NO, to Glass Coach!

BBC royal correspondent Daniella Relph said the decision to have Miss Middleton travel to the ceremony by car rather than glass carriage was a real break with tradition.

This was Miss Middleton's idea, as she wanted to arrive at Westminster Abbey in a more low-key way and not have the "pomp and lavishness" that comes with arriving in a carriage, our correspondent added.

But Ingrid Seward, from Majesty magazine, told the BBC it was "a great shame" that the public would not get to see Miss Middleton en route to the
abbey in a glass carriage as in previous royal weddings.

Apparently Richard Palmer knows more about the story behind the going in a car, coming back in a carriage.
Daily EXPRESS ... 6 Jan 2011
RoyalReporter@LaDolceVita150 Her choice. Trying to save some things for tomorrow's paper but will say more if it comes out elsewhere.
about 2 hours ago via web in reply to LaDolceVita150

RoyalReporter
Richard Palmer

Well, she is betrothed to the Heir Presumptive.
They used the glass coach for both Diana and Sarah Ferguson, and they were commoners too.

And the allergy shouldn't matter because the glass coach is enclosed.

She is marrying to the heir apparent to the heir apparent not the heir presumptive. No one can replace William in the line of succession so he is Charles' heir apparent.

I am pleased that she isn't using the glass coach as finally we are getting something different from what happened with Diana - a break with tradition yes but also differentiating herself from Diana - at least one comparison that can't be made - well done to her and the royal family for this decision.

She is marrying to the heir apparent to the heir apparent not the heir presumptive. No one can replace William in the line of succession so he is Charles' heir apparent.

I am pleased that she isn't using the glass coach as finally we are getting something different from what happened with Diana - a break with tradition yes but also differentiating herself from Diana - at least one comparison that can't be made - well done to her and the royal family for this decision.

i agree its more modern too

Frankly, there is no need to bring up a comparison that will never happen. Your response is most likely the exact reason why Kate probably decided not to do a carriage. Constant comparisons. Can Kate enjoy HER wedding day?

And its just getting out of a carriage...I think a lot of people can do that.

I'm really sad that they don't use glass coach. It's so romantic & I like this tradition. Monarchy should be for tradition IMO. I also don't like the idea of Kate arriving in car. Why they try to be more modern?

I'm really sad that they don't use glass coach. It's so romantic & I like this tradition. Monarchy should be for tradition IMO. I also don't like the idea of Kate arriving in car. Why they try to be more modern?

If Kate chose to not arrive in the carriage then that's fine.

I hope the Catherine's train is short. I don't find them attractive.

Does anyone think Ms Middleton did not want a carriage because she is coming from her parent's home? I think that is one reason. The carriage looks lavish is another.

Does anyone know what time the service is at WA?:flowers:

Now that we know all this, now I'm wondering how much coverage will the tv show or will it be standard up till the balcony appearance. Damn now that we know about the night time reception I'm dying to see photos or some sort of footage from that but I sadly doubt we'll get anything. I don't want to come off selfish or anything but I'm just mega excited and I've always liked the thought of a more formal reception where the royals can get a bit more glammed up. I wonder if Catherine will change dresses for the reception later on.

Last edited:
I Belive she could but I Understand the issues

Maybe there are also security reasons for using the limousine? Could also be the reason for using no open coach ...:flowers:

Does anyone think Ms Middleton did not want a carriage because she is coming from her parent's home? I think that is one reason. The carriage looks lavish is another.

Does anyone know what time the service is at WA?:flowers:

She's coming from BP I think.
And the service is at 11am GMT.

It's a disappointment to me that the Glass coach arrival has been scrapped. However, with the unrest and student riots I can understand the concern.

Perhaps the Queen and other dignataries don't want to ride in an open coach, thus no one will.

I don't think security/unrest is going to have anything to do with not having the open top carriage.
Kate didn't want the carriage, end of.

By April 2011, there won't be any student unrest, and the tension towards royals is, IMO, exactly the same as it was at the last big royal wedding in the UK.

Monarchy must also move with the times - else they are reproached for being too out of touch with reality. I think they are still traditional enough, it's not like they will do everything different than before. Only Catherine's arrival will be different, up to now.

Maybe there are also security reasons for using the limousine? Could also be the reason for using no open coach ...:flowers:
I was thinking the same thing, after the recent incident.

Monarchy must also move with the times - else they are reproached for being too out of touch with reality. I think they are still traditional enough, it's not like they will do everything different than before. Only Catherine's arrival will be different, up to now.

I agree Skippy. I don't see so many changes, but I like her being driven by car. For me it is a sign that William and Kate want to be perceived as a modern couple and not as a fairy tale couple. The car will have lots of glas so that we will have a good glimpse on her. I think it is a wonderful idea. I think Catherine will look georgous on her wedding day no matter by which vehicle she will be driven to the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom