Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a huge fan of Prince Charles and all his efforts, I was shocked to see Prince William giving his fiancee the ring of Diana, thereby giving the press an excuse, (as if they needed one!) to drag up all the gossip and tragedy of "Saint Diana." I think that William should have had more sensitivity, and I am sorry if I upset anyone, that is not my intention, just my feelings. Diana turned Charles into the most hated man in Britain, and I think the re-emergence of her ring is a death knell to Charles and Camilla. I would be interested to know other members feelings on this subject. The inference I receive from the press is that William has asked his uncle Earl Spencer to speak at his wedding. If this is true, I am at a loss, and have no interest whatever in the coming nuptuals.
Why so?I understand that everybody has their feelings,but try to put yourself in the place of William.William was very sensible and he had a special connection with his mother,he adored his Mum.So I think it's normal to assure in such a way keeping her memory.The next step could be Earl Spencer's speech or the birth of a daughter who they will call Diana

Being a huge fan of Prince Charles and all his efforts, I was shocked to see Prince William giving his fiancee the ring of Diana, thereby giving the press an excuse, (as if they needed one!) to drag up all the gossip and tragedy of "Saint Diana." I think that William should have had more sensitivity, and I am sorry if I upset anyone, that is not my intention, just my feelings. Diana turned Charles into the most hated man in Britain, and I think the re-emergence of her ring is a death knell to Charles and Camilla. I would be interested to know other members feelings on this subject. The inference I receive from the press is that William has asked his uncle Earl Spencer to speak at his wedding. If this is true, I am at a loss, and have no interest whatever in the coming nuptuals.

I would be willing to bet that before anything, William would have sounded out his father's feelings about using that engagement ring. I would imagine too that Charles has given his support to his son on this decision 100%. Charles and Diana did have good periods in their marriage and William and Harry are the definite proof. I really don't see any big crisis arising from William and Kate doing things that are in remembrance of his mother, in fact I find it quite touching. I don't see them doing it in a way either that will overshadow Charles and Camilla as they will be there to share in their special day together. These two are putting their own stamp on their own wedding in their own special way.

I doubt that William and Kate would name a daughter Diana. Diana might be one of her names, but it won't be her first. That to me would be tacky.

Being a huge fan of Prince Charles and all his efforts, I was shocked to see Prince William giving his fiancee the ring of Diana, thereby giving the press an excuse, (as if they needed one!) to drag up all the gossip and tragedy of "Saint Diana."

My inital reaction was the same, but I've changed my mind. Things have moved on and other issues have arisen to occupy my interest. The press was bound to use the engagement and wedding to talk about Diana and all the issues surrounding the separation and divorce anyway. The wedding ring will be the more important ring, and that will be made brand new for Kate.

I now thing it's better for that expensive bauble to be put to good use this way rather than being locked away in a box somewhere. Recycling it like this saves William having to fork out a large chunk of his cash inheritance paying for another one. I'm assuming Kate's happy with it, and that's the main thing.

As for naming a daughter after William's mother, I would be prepared to bet that their first daughter will be named Diana.

ghost_night554 said:
I found this quote pretty interesting which is the only reason why I posted this article
Read more: Kate becomes Catherine for her prince's family | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

I know I have no real reason to think this but I just doubt she was called Catherine that much if it's not how her friends or Willism call her, not saying she doesn't have the right to use it since it is her name, just saying that seems to be if that's what she is usually called her fiancé would call her that-

normalil said:

I will say this from my point of view- if Earl Spencer really does speak it will take a little luster off the wedding and couple for me- IMO it will be 2 much of a rehash of Di and her funeral- and also because I really dislike Earl Spencer

First of all Diana was Williams Mother and he loved her a great deal. Using her ring is a normal course of events. The snide remarks about "Saint Diana", does not alter that fact. As his father is "Saint Charles" married to his mistress of many years, why are you worried what anyone thinks. As for Charles Spencer not being a favorite of any poster, that matters little, too, as it is Williams uncle and he, also, may love him a great deal and want his inclusion.

COUNTESS said:
First of all Diana was Williams Mother and he loved her a great deal. Using her ring is a normal course of events. The snide remarks about "Saint Diana", does not alter that fact. As his father is "Saint Charles" married to his mistress of many years, why are you worried what anyone thinks. As for Charles Spencer not being a favorite of any poster, that matters little, too, as it is Williams uncle and he, also, may love him a great deal and want his inclusion.

You're right he can include his Uncle but a speech in Westminster by Earl Spencer about Diana is still eerie of her funeral and for me would take some of the 'shine' off the wedding- just my opinion

Why would anyone make a speech at a wedding? It may be a reading, but a speech?

COUNTESS said:
Why would anyone make a speech at a wedding? It may be a reading, but a speech?

Lady Kitty Spencer said that her father told her William asked him to give a speech about Diana at the wedding- but I agree with you why a speech at a wedding?

Lady Kitty Spencer said that her father told her William asked him to give a speech about Diana at the wedding- but I agree with you why a speech at a wedding?

The press also reported that Snoop Dog would perform at the wedding. From the various British royal weddings I have seen, there have been readings not speeches.

Again, I can say it until I am blue in the face (not directed towards just you MRSJ) but are we at the point that we are believing everything that is printed in the British tabloids about this wedding?

I am with you completely.

I no longer believe that William and Charles are all that close at all as William seems to simply want to remember Diana with no regard to his father's feelings.

What father will say 'No' to a son who says "I want to remember my dead mother this way"? But that doesn't mean that the father isn't being hurt by the son's actions - particularly given the completely acrimonious manner of their split and Diana's determined efforts to destroy Charles.

I too have no interest in these nuptials but I do feel very sorry for Kate being in love with her prince who is bringing a third person into their relationship.

As for the ring - we really don't know how Kate feels but I can picture the scene - he has proposed and she has said yes and then he produces his dead mother's ring and asks her if it is all right to use that ring - of course she won't say 'no' but how she really feels - we probably will never know but 'joy' isn't what I would be saying.

Maybe just maybe Kate understand William's feelings about his mother.Maybe Kate felt honored to wear Diana's ring I know to alot of us it symbolizes a doomed marriage and tragic end but maybe it wasn't that way to Kate. As for William no longer being close to Charles how do you figure that? I'm pretty sure as a father Charles understands what a big day this is for William and this will be one of the many big events in his life that he wishes Diana were still alive (naturally she was his mother) As I recall I've heard Charles sometimes too misses Diana(she was his ex wife yes but still she was his children's mother so it's natural for him to feel a sense of loss at some point as well) As I mentioned in the other thread just cause we don't often see Charles and William does not in any way mean that they are no longer close. Don't forget Charles works alot and William lives in Wales and he has tricky schedule as well but I'm sure the two still see each other. I don't think we have any proof tbh that these two don't have a close relationship anymore.

IMO Lady Kitty just likes seeing her name in the papers.

:previous:

I am hesitant to address this without rehashing the tired but true Camilla/Charles/Diana triangle.

And frankly I am disappointed that years after Diana's death, any instance of William of "honoring" his mother is taken as an automatic slap in the face to his father? Diana is dead and the soap opera continues.

Considering that Charles has moved on and appears to be very happy with his wife, I am going to assume (because to my knowledge no one here is privy to the relationship of William, Charles and Camilla) Charles knew that either of his sons wouls use Diana's ring and is probably indifferent to the situation at hand. Why should he care? You think Charles is thinking about Diana...he probably thinks abou her at importatn life events that Harry and Wililam has had...a regret that she wasn't there to witness it but other than that. No. Charles has moved on. It seems like the only people who can't move on are certain Diana/Camilla fans and the press.

And honestly, I can't imagine Kate taking Diana's ring just because William offered it. He appears (because again I don't personally know) a person very sensitive to the needs of his fiancee. Considering the "baggage" associated with it...I would think he would give her the option of saying No, and wouldn't have been offended by it. That ring is a lot to take on.

And finally, it appears that again William can't lose. If he honors his father and accepts Camilla he is betraying Diana. If he honors Diana he is being dismissive of his father. I don't get it.

Last edited:
For all we, and the press, know Charles and William may speak daily on the telephone. The simple fact is NONE of us know what the relationship is. Charles has a very busy schedule and William is a full time serving Search & Rescue officer so, like many other Father/Son relationships the regular face to face contact is less than any would like but the relationship can still be a close and loving one.

I no longer believe that William and Charles are all that close at all as William seems to simply want to remember Diana with no regard to his father's feelings.

What father will say 'No' to a son who says "I want to remember my dead mother this way"? But that doesn't mean that the father isn't being hurt by the son's actions - particularly given the completely acrimonious manner of their split and Diana's determined efforts to destroy Charles.

I too have no interest in these nuptials but I do feel very sorry for Kate being in love with her prince who is bringing a third person into their relationship.

As for the ring - we really don't know how Kate feels but I can picture the scene - he has proposed and she has said yes and then he produces his dead mother's ring and asks her if it is all right to use that ring - of course she won't say 'no' but how she really feels - we probably will never know but 'joy' isn't what I would be saying.

I would also like to point out that it isn't William inserting Diana into this wedding its the press and frankly, a lot of people on boards such as this.

Yes, he gave Kate....Diana's ring....but other than that...can someone tell me what specific information has been released by the Palace (not the Daily Mirror, the Daily Mail, the Express, etc.) that makes one think of Diana as it relates to this wedding?

The Palace hasn't said that the Elizabeth Emmanuel or Bruce Odfield is designing the dress...the press has. Lady Kitty Spencer has been quoted as saying her father will give a speech. Did I miss something the last couple of years....does Earl Spencer have a great relationship with the British press? And I do agree that Kitty Spencer does seem to seek press attention.

So we don't believe everything that is reported in the British tabloids about Charles, Camilla and the Queen but everyone else is up for grabs?

I would also like to point out that it isn't William inserting Diana into this wedding its the press and frankly, a lot of people on boards such as this.

Yes, he gave Kate....Diana's ring....but other than that...can someone tell me what specific information has been released by the Palace (not the Daily Mirror, the Daily Mail, the Express, etc.) that makes one think of Diana as it relates to this wedding?

The Palace hasn't said that the Elizabeth Emmanuel or Bruce Odfield is designing the dress...the press has. Lady Kitty Spencer has been quoted as saying her father will give a speech. Did I miss something the last couple of years....does Earl Spencer have a great relationship with the British press? And I do agree that Kitty Spencer does seem to seek press attention.

So we don't believe everything that is reported in the British tabloids about Charles, Camilla and the Queen but everyone else is up for grabs?

ZONK, as always you expressed my thought exactly. At this point people seem to be beliving in everything that is written! (probably due to the lack of information)
But, for me, most of these stuff it's sooo clearly random .

Last edited by a moderator:
If he honors his father and accepts Camilla he is betraying Diana. If he honors Diana he is being dismissive of his father. I don't get it.

Because people are unnable to get past their own prejudice, Zonk.

They sit behind their computer screens eager and willing to judge (more often than not, negatively) people they do not, and never will know. It's such unflattering behaviour and what's really sad is that a good many of them are old enough to know better, or so one would have thought.

There are those who need to do themselves a favour and move on, in that they need to accept that Diana (even in death) will inevitably play an important role in the life of her children, and rightly so. If they don't like that she is still mentioned occasionally well that's just tough luck.

And Charles and Camilla are quite clearly happy together and there are those who need to let go of baggage they seem to have willingly acquired in deffense of a woman no longer with us. Diana's legacy is not in need of being deffended by people she never knew.

As for the the Duchess, she seems a very charming woman and Charles, though a bit of an eccentric odd ball at times, really seems to mean well and they are deserving of happiness just as Diana would have deserved to have found someone who she could have shared the rest of her life with had her life not been cut ever so short.

No one can (or should try to) inhibit the memory of their (William and Henry's) mother and if they want to talk of her, or include her in whatever way they feel appropriate during important milestones in their respective lives then no one, and I do mean no one, has the right to deny them that. And imo, where mention of Diana is likely to occur, it would be pathetically selfish of someone to put their feelings before that of her children.

And personally, I'd be inclined to assume that if there was anyone who would be supportive and undertanding of this, then it would probably be Camilla who herself being a mother of two, understands the lifelong influence and importance of that very relationship.

Last edited:
ZONK, as always you expressed my thought exactly. At this point people seem to be beliving in everything that is written! (probably due to the lack of information)
But, for me, most of these stuff it's sooo clearly pure random bulls**t.

But it's normal that there is not much Information on the Wedding. yet. At the beginning of this years there was also not much Information about Crown Princess Victoria's Wedding. It comes most in the last 6-8 weeks before the Wedding. The only difference was that in Sweden the Press was not having rumours about the Wedding all the time since the engagement.

I agree with Zonk and Madame Royale, some people's nitpicking just gets tiring.

And like I said before: it's not the engagement ring's fault that the marriage of the (1st) bearer didn't work out.
Now it has the chance to be a prelude to a succesful marriage. Some people should dust off their prejudice, imo.

Zonk said:
The press also reported that Snoop Dog would perform at the wedding. From the various British royal weddings I have seen, there have been readings not speeches.

Again, I can say it until I am blue in the face (not directed towards just you MRSJ) but are we at the point that we are believing everything that is printed in the British tabloids about this wedding?

You're right :) my source is the DM so I should always keep that in mind- lol.

Skippy said:
And like I said before: it's not the engagement ring's fault that the marriage of the (1st) bearer didn't work out.
Now it has the chance to be a prelude to a succesful marriage. Some people should dust off their prejudice, imo.

True- My engagement ring is from my parents marriage (who divorced) because it's a family heirloom and my marriage is wonderful. I think it's romantic and sweet William gave her the ring and she probably doesn't mind and is just happy to be marrying the man she loves :)

I think it's sad and rather disturbing that people want to interject their narrow minded thinking into the sentiments behind this ring and instead make it into something sick and deranged.

Prince Charles has a very close relationship with his sons by all accounts and appearances. To take this one thing and blow it out of proportion by saying it shows that William has no sensitivity to his father's feelings and proves that their relationship isn't that close is completely ridiculous. Prince Charles is an adult, not a child. He more than anyone knows what Diana meant to his sons and how important it is to them to honor her. She may not have been the love of his life, but she was most definitely a warm and loving mother to his children, and helped shape the men they have become.

Prince William has made it clear that he discussed the engagement with his father and received his blessing. I can't imagine William doing anything to purposely hurt his father, and if he felt that his father would be upset or object to the ring being given to Kate I doubt William would have done so.

In regards to the comments about the proposal....only William and Kate know what was said at that moment and how the ring was presented. I imagine the reality was quite different from the tacky scenario that you described.

Seriously...the malice and negativity is getting old.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I think we all need to remember that the comments we make or the judgements we create are based on thoughts we have that come from seeing a tiny fraction of the lives of these people. A photograph of William and Kate accounts for less than a second of their lives, yet stories, ideas, thoughts, rumours, assumptions and even lies are created based on that moment. It's all guess work as far as I am concerned. Collectively over the years we will have seen just a few hours of the reality of their lives and I think we seem to completely forget that William and Kate's discussions, talks, day to day activities and the developement of their relationship is a real 24/7 entity and not just a TV show that comes on whenever the next story or idea is provided for us.

That damn engagement ring, bautiful as it is, is just an overpriced collection of carved rocks and hammered metal, it has no curse, the components of it has a history that goes back far longer than 30 years and Kate was not forced by William nor indeed the spirit of his mother to wear the thing.

i think Kate may have had reservations, but knowing how William felt about his mother (or how any man would feel about a loving dead parent), she just said yes. she probably thought "oh its no big deal, it makes him happy so why not? "

i think Kate may have had reservations, but knowing how William felt about his mother (or how any man would feel about a loving dead parent), she just said yes. she probably thought "oh its no big deal, it makes him happy so why not? "

Personally I think that Kate would have felt honored to be given something that until William met her, was the most important woman in his life. There is something very intimate about giving and receiving something that is not only beautiful, but has meaning behind it. If anything, if it was me, a ring of that sort would make me feel even closer to my betrothed.

I agree with Osipi, and it is a beautiful ring. I think I would appreciate it alot more then a store bought ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom