Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Elton John,Sting or Tom Jones will be more appropriate to sing at their wedding

I think it is more likely to be Katherine Jenkins. She is Welsh and would be considered appropriate..

Katherine Jenkins, Faryl Smith, Susan Boyle, or any vocalist - male or female - who has enough voice and technique for the Abbey, would be good. They may choose some aging rock star, which would disappoint me.

Katherine Jenkins, Faryl Smith, Susan Boyle, or any vocalist - male or female - who has enough voice and technique for the Abbey, would be good. They may choose some aging rock star, which would disappoint me.

Sorry- I really hope they don't choose these three women either. These three women also sing "crossover" music and not the traditional classical music that we have seen at all previous royal weddings. I don't think Smith or Boyle have enough classical training or experience for an event of this magnitude and Jenkins is a mezzo- most repertoire usually sung at weddings and royal events requires a higher voiced soprano. My husband is a well known Canadian opera singer, so I really do know about these things!

In Britain, I believe the premiere sopranos currently are Ruth Holton, Deborah York, Emma Kirkby, Lillian Watson, Elisabeth Meister, Lesley Garett, Victoria Baker and Elizabeth Watts.

Sarah Brightman might also be a good choice if they want to go into that arena. She has a stunning voice and her classical performances are epic. Her version of Nessun Dorma is one of the best I've heard from a soprano.

Sarah Brightman might also be a good choice if they want to go into that arena. She has a stunning voice and her classical performances are epic. Her version of Nessun Dorma is one of the best I've heard from a soprano.

Nessun Dorma is actually an aria written for tenors.... all of the classically trained people I know find her performance a bit of a joke, actually! Sarah Brightman is classically trained, but again, she's much more of a crossover singer. I really don't think William and Kate would choose someone who would bring that degree of "spectacle".

Nessun Dorma is actually an aria written for tenors.... all of the classically trained people I know find her performance a bit of a joke, actually! Sarah Brightman is classically trained, but again, she's much more of a crossover singer. I really don't think William and Kate would choose someone who would bring that degree of "spectacle".

I'm aware of who Nessun Dorma was originally written for. I'm glad all the classically-trained people you know think the performance is a joke. I don't see how, considering she does the aria independent of the opera and I believe even Pavarotti said he liked her version of it (and his is arguably the most famous of them all).....but apparently those of us who don't operate in your milieu wouldn't know any better.

Besides, she was only a suggestion, and I've seen her live more than a few times and stand by my opinion that she'd be a good choice for doing something like the Ave Maria (you don't have to be Catholic to have it sung, by itself it's a stunning piece of music) or Pie Jesu, both of which she's done more than a few times.

Last edited:
Sorry- I really hope they don't choose these three women either. These three women also sing "crossover" music and not the traditional classical music that we have seen at all previous royal weddings. I don't think Smith or Boyle have enough classical training or experience for an event of this magnitude and Jenkins is a mezzo- most repertoire usually sung at weddings and royal events requires a higher voiced soprano. My husband is a well known Canadian opera singer, so I really do know about these things!

In Britain, I believe the premiere sopranos currently are Ruth Holton, Deborah York, Emma Kirkby, Lillian Watson, Elisabeth Meister, Lesley Garett, Victoria Baker and Elizabeth Watts.

I agree it would be a waste with the wonderful acoustics Westminster offers to have an aging rock star perform at the service, nor do I think one would be seriously considered for such an important event. As I said before, someone with an angelic ethereal voice Like Hayley Westenra, who is from New Zealand and has performed for the Queen twice before. I would love to see a group like Celtic women perform at the service, however I don't know if that would be considered either.

Just throwing thoughts out there.

I agree completely. The Abbey is a huge place, and only a highly-trained voice could fill the space properly.

I don't think Smith or Boyle have enough classical training or experience for an event of this magnitude and Jenkins is a mezzo- most repertoire usually sung at weddings and royal events requires a higher voiced soprano.

I agree it would be a waste with the wonderful acoustics Westminster offers to have an aging rock star perform at the service, nor do I think one would be seriously considered for such an important event.

Well said! I think in the matter of music, protocol will influence many of this couple's choices.

This wedding will be different than past royal weddings, but we can likely get a taste of the musical choices they will make from weddings past

Charles and Diana's wedding
Kiri Te Kawana singing ‘Let the Bright Seraphim’ by Handel
Kiri Te Kawana singing ‘Let the Bright Seraphim’ by Handel
Westminster Choir singing ‘I was glad” by Sir Hubert Parry (starts at 6:40)

part 1
part 2

Andrew and Sarah's wedding
Felicity Lott sang "Laudate Dominum" by Mozart (starts at 1:00)
Felicity Lott sang "Laudate Dominum" by Mozart
American soprano Arleen Auger sang 'Exultate, Jubilate' by Mozart
American soprano Arleen Auger sang 'Exultate, Jubilate' by Mozart

Edward and Sophie's wedding
St. George choir sang 'Ubi Caritas' by Durufle (starts 4:35)
St. George choir sang 'Ubi Caritas' by Durufle
St. George choir sang 'Amen Chorus' from Messiah, by Handel
St. George choir sang 'Amen Chorus' from Messiah, by Handel

Last edited:
Thank you for finding and sharing those wonderful videos! I think of all the singers, the Amen Choir is my favorite. Their combined voices are just so beautiful with the acoustics of the cathedral. :flowers:

When Prince Charles and the Princess of Wales, were married, the main course consisted of sautéed chicken breasts, with the dish named Supreme de Volaille Princess de Galles. So, Kate can expect something similar.​

Here's the article..
Whatever Kate does next, life will never be the same again - Wales News - News - WalesOnline

They fail to mention that most BR weddings have similar menu's for their wedding breakfasts, but anyways...

What in the heck is lamb mousse btw I know here they fail to mention it but the dish suprême de volaille princesse de galles is chicken breasts stuffed with lamb mousse. I mean when I think of mousse I think of chocolate mousse cake..so is it similar I mean does it even taste anything like lamb? I know semi ot but I wanted to ask...

Last edited:
I don't see why she can expect the same thing, why can't she choose her own food?
Lam mousse I imagine, is the same texture as a chocolate one just lamb flavoured. Or it might be a pate kinda thing.

Well, David Beckham will get his chance today - but probably only if the UK wins the 2018 bid. There again, Wills may let him have an invite even if we don't win.

I'm sorry, but what a lot of pretentious tosh!!:ohmy: I'd rather have the lovely Miss Jenkins than some "Screaming Emma" as my Mother would call them. Most soprano's are too interested in how they look and not how they sound. The only decent soprano's, in my Mother's opinion, are long dead. People like Deanna Durbin, Kirsten Flagstad, Isobel Bailey, etc.

One could invite an unpretentious Russian soprano as are Lyubovi Kazarnovskaya or Galina Mushurova

Besides all other singers wishing to sing at Prince William's wedding,I've heard that the last song of Snoop Dogg was inspired by Prince William's engagement.
So could you imagine Snoop Dogg singing at Royal Wedding?

For the stag party yes, wedding he wouldn't be allowed within 20 miles of WA.

I don't see why she can expect the same thing, why can't she choose her own food?
Lam mousse I imagine, is the same texture as a chocolate one just lamb flavoured. Or it might be a pate kinda thing.
On the Windsor CAstle DVD which was filmed during Charles and Camilla's wedding, it was said the QEII chooses ALL the food and wine at all royal weddings (as she is the host).

How odd, the bride and groom cannot pick there own food. I'm sure QE2 will take into account their opinions though.

Here's the article..
Whatever Kate does next, life will never be the same again - Wales News - News - WalesOnline

They fail to mention that most BR weddings have similar menu's for their wedding breakfasts, but anyways...

What in the heck is lamb mousse btw I know here they fail to mention it but the dish suprême de volaille princesse de galles is chicken breasts stuffed with lamb mousse. I mean when I think of mousse I think of chocolate mousse cake..so is it similar I mean does it even taste anything like lamb? I know semi ot but I wanted to ask...

This article is contradictory in every way. Mr. Hoey indicates that Kate and William have been together 5 years, when in fact it's closer to 8. He says William made it clear that it would not be at either Westminster and St. Paul's, when in fact Westminster IS the venue chosen.

Also, to say that a Royal wedding takes a year to plan doesn't sound right. British Royal engagements have been notoriously short with the wedding taking place within 5-6 months after the engagement announcement. I am sure there is protocol and a staff that works from a set plan for all the events, therefore they can put together these type of events within a relatively short time frame. To say that they require a year, therefore they are notified by the bridegroom of when he plans to propose and announce the wedding 6 months prior to doing so sounds like total hogwash.

If Mr. Hoey is an considered an expert on the Royal Household, then I won't waste my money on his books if this is a sample of his expertise.

I don't think there should be anything in the church other than the church ceremony, wait for the celebrities to show off their talents at the reception, should the couple wish it.

Something needs to entertain the guests while the registry is being signed. As you know, this can take a few minutes. A silent church can be very awkward. Having a soloist or musical piece keeps the guests quiet, otherwise there would be a din of chattering going on.

I didn't know it took that long to sign a piece of paper?
Music yes, maybe some orchestral piece played quietly.
But not some opera singer.

Actually it does take that long....as the bride and groom are not the only people who sign the piece of paper. If you look at the certificate of Diana/Charles, Andrew/Sarah, etc....there are at least 10 to 15 people who sign it...The Queen, the DoE, etc.

The time also give the couple (as this isn't a normal 30 minute ceremony) some time for themselves as a couple as well as a moment to refresh and regroup.

This isn't a normal couple getting married at a local church/parish. This is small production. Everything is carefully timed and organized.

Alexander McQueen is dead (committed suicide earlier this year), so I presume you mean the brand, now designed by Sarah Burton, who doesn't have the same levels of talent that he did. I don't think they would choose McQueen anyway given that Alexander stated that he sewed a very rude word into the lining of PC's suit when he worked as a tailor on Savile Row; too controversial a choice. Westwood would be absolutely great, but I think her style (big skirts, bodice, volume) is not very Kate; she's more clean lines, understated.

Stella McCartney wouldn't work IMO because she not that great at evening wear (i.e. full length dresses); she's better at day wear, cocktail dresses. But Galliano would be great! He used to be a bit of an enfant terrible of the fashion world in the 90s, but the work he does now at Dior is really quite classic and conservative a lot of the time (often referred to Dior's New Look), so he definitely has the talent and would probably relish the opportunity to do Kate's dress.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see a fashion forward choice even designer-wise, as Kate is hardly an interesting dresser. It will probably be a traditional upper class designer as favoured by other people in their circle.

As to the economy of the times, I get what you mean. But would big designers do a freebe/discount given the publicity they would get from an event watched by billions? I'm not sure if royalty gets involved in dealings like that (is it below them?!), but houses like Dior dress a-list celebs for free (although they don't usually get to keep the dresses).

My ultimate, fantasy dresses are more like these listed below, although I can't in a million years see Kate wearing them!

Nina Ricci by Olivier Theyskens
Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld 1 & 2
Christian Lacroix 1 & 2
Emmanuel Ungaro 1 & 2
Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci (but in white with a silvery/white overlay) 1 & 2

Holy Cow! If Kate Middleton wore a dress like any of these I would call for an abolishment of the monarchy! Are you serious?? :eek:

Holy Cow! If Kate Middleton wore a dress like any of these I would call for an abolishment of the monarchy! Are you serious?? :eek:

Which dress exactly?

And madeleineleigh did say
My ultimate, fantasy dresses are more like these listed below, although I can't in a million years see Kate wearing them!

On the Windsor CAstle DVD which was filmed during Charles and Camilla's wedding, it was said the QEII chooses ALL the food and wine at all royal weddings (as she is the host).

Really? I thought Edward and Sophie chose their menu which was criticized for for being too "heavy". Beef stroganoff in the summer did seem odd to me.
:advent:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom