Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I actually like Diana's dress but I recognize that it dates the time of the wedding. Much like the dresses of Elizabeth Bowles Lyon and Prince Mary (daughter of George V) when they married.

IMO only Elizabeth, Margaret, Marina, Katherine and Alexandra of Kent married in wedding dresses that didn't denote the year. Same with Alice and Brigitte of Gloucester. I consider them to be timeless. There is something about the Kent and Gloucester women:flowers:

Really, it doesn't matter if we didin't like Diana's dress if Kate likes the big ball gown thats all that matter. Based on her previous dresses, I can see something along the lines of Autumn Phillips Kate doesn't do big. I think the Gloucester girls were a little too simple for the occassion although I thought they were excellent.

Last edited:
As Diana's dress is an ivory taffeta it hasn't 'yellowed' that much due to age, it wasn't white to start with. It probably has been spot cleaned enough to preserve it but such a large silk dress wouldn't have been 'washed'--dry cleaned only or other type of cleaning that wouldn't damage silk. Silk would need cleaning to prevent shattering due to perspiration or other stains from rain, food/drink spills or other exposures. It's amazing that it has held up as good as it has done; compare the Queen's wedding or coronation dress that has shatters/age damage from the weight of the beading and the condition of the original silk at the start. Diana's dress was not as heavily beaded so it may hold up longer.
I personally liked Sarah's dress better than Diana's at the time but Diana's dress was still terrifically popular and a good reflection of the romantic mood in fashion. I don't like the current strapless trends but that suits some folks, just not me. I liked Ivanka's dress as well as other dresses that show a little bit of shoulders but still had mid-3/4 sleeves. I also loved Princess Margaret's dress and Grace Kelly's dress.

On another topic, someone may know this answer for me: I remember commentators stating that Sarah couldn't wear a tiara for her wedding as she was a commoner so the tiara was covered with flowers until after the ceremony when Sarah could show the tiara. I remember Sophie wearing a tiara (scaled down compared to Sarah's) but as Sophie wasn't titled, what was the difference?

I always that it was personal preference of the bride.

Sarah used the flowers to denote that she came in the church as a commoner and left a princess. But maybe that is just me. What did Autumn do? I know she wore Anne's tiara when she left, did she have it on in the beginning.

She is a commoner and not really a Princess, so maybe there aren't any particular rules at all.

Does anyone else remember that when Serena married David Lindley she has an almost identical dress to her future MIL Margaret's wedding dress? Everyone called it an homage and there were no remarks that she was trying to be Margaret?

I didn't like Serena's dress. She is such a beauty, isn't she? And has worn such an outdated dress and hairstyle. Some royal men seem to be keen on creating little copies of their grand mummies. I find it rubbish.

Last edited:
I'm wondering when we are likely to get some more official photos & who will be the chosen photographer. I also seem to recall there were quite a few portraits released of Diana & Sarah in the months leading up to the wedding. Has anyone any idea when the couple are likely to be seen attending an official function together?- again I'm thinking of Diana's famous outing when she wore THE famous black dress.

I think it was a couple of months after the engagement was announced but before the wedding. Kind of like a prelude to the wedding. But it seems like such a different era. The BRF used to release official photos (or at least it seemed like it to me) every time a major trip was about to happen.

And there were a couple of occassions when Diana was with Charles (and Andrew with Sarah and Edward with Sophie) including the black dress event before the wedding.

I imagine she will pop up at an event its just a matter of when...I guess we need to see if he has anything on his schedule. That might make it hard really since he is doing RAF duties in Wales. Unlike the other royal grooms...they had regular scheduled events. William isn't making this easy for us is he?!

You know I never thought of this before but Iluvbertie brought it up what happens if William and his RAF team is sent away somewhere for a long time kinda like Andrew was do you Kate will be okay? That's my only worry for these two any possible long term separation. Do RAF squads usually get sent away for a long time?

:previous: Kate has a solid family to rely on and a fairly good support system, from what I've seen. I'm sure she'd be fine. Diana and Sarah really didn't have that kind of support from their families, apparently.

^Seems so, I'm reading Sarah's book right now it's really interesting.I love the little details about the wedding reception and such. Apparently it's held at the State Dining Room at BP and they don't give speeches she says well she uses the word "toasts" but I think of it as the same thing. Also does anyone know when the stations will announce their plans for covering the wedding?

Last edited:
^Seems so, I'm reading Sarah's book right now it's really interesting.I love the little details about the wedding reception and such. Apparently it's held at the State Dining Room at BP and they don't give speeches she says well she uses the word "toasts" but I think of it as the same thing. Also does anyone know when the stations will announce their plans for covering the wedding?

That's generally what they're called here in the US. The best man always gives a toast, sometimes the maid/matron of honor, sometimes the father or a close male relative of the bride, also sometimes a close male relative of the groom as well. It depends on the size and scope of the wedding, of course, but more than a few best men I've known have agonized over their wedding toast.

^Seems the BRF's don't have to worry bout that!:lol: No wonder we never got any of the speeches released cause there were none! Seems kinda boring now that I think of it and I don't think they have any room in the State Dining Room so I doubt there's a first dance either...So I'm guessing it goes something like.. Arrive at BP take the photos, do the balcony appearance, go to the dining room,eat, cut the cake run upstairs change into your honeymoon outfit and leave.Well then Autumn and Peter's wedding reception at Frogmore looked alot more entertaining then what Sarah described but that could also be due to the fact it was at night and the due to the location.

Ingrid Stewart was on ET tonight she said Kate is getting NO royal training that there is no such thing as a princess school..she also said they spent the weekend together in Wales. She also said the Queen will be throwing a ball 2 days before the wedding.

Last edited:
Ingrid Stewart was on ET tonight she said Kate is getting NO royal training that there is no such thing as a princess school..she also said they spent the weekend together in Wales. She also said the Queen will be throwing a ball 2 days before the wedding.

If the Queen really is throwing a ball 2 days before the wedding the that means we'll get to see tiara's, dresses & jewels!!! Yay! I can't wait!

I'm afraid I don't consider Ingrid to be an authority on this point. She doesn't know what goes on behind closed doors. Anyway, Kate is living with someone who can give her princess classes.

I'm afraid I don't consider Ingrid to be an authority on this point. She doesn't know what goes on behind closed doors. Anyway, Kate is living with someone who can give her princess classes.

Saying it like that makes me think of The Princess Diaries :lol:

If the Queen really is throwing a ball 2 days before the wedding the that means we'll get to see tiara's, dresses & jewels!!! Yay! I can't wait!
Depends if it's an white tie Ball. The Ball for her Golden Wedding was black tie. And we not see much pics. Probably one or 2 released from inside and the foreign Royals when the either leave their Hotels or in the Cars. Like at Charles 60th birthday.

:previous: If the government is graciously giving a day off the least the BRF can do is show how to do a State Wedding with style, and if the Queen is indeed giving a pre-wedding Ball I think she is wise enough to know that in this age of instant visuals "Her" subjects are going to want to see just how much bang they are getting for their buck, even they are only paying the security bill.

In my wildest imaginings we will see the guests in White Tie and Tiara's at the Ball, and maybe Kate's first Tiara, although she won't luck out like Mary she could still look fabulous as, ever frugal, she could be the lucky recipient of something from the mythical vault as appropriate to her and the Delhi Durbar is for Camilla!

I know that if dreams had wings I could fly but I'm willing to dream that it isn't pigs that are flying!:lol:

Last edited:
:previous: If the government is graciously giving a day off the least the BRF can do is show how to do a State Wedding with style, and if the Queen is indeed giving a pre-wedding Ball I think she is wise enough to know that in this age of instant visuals "Her" subjects are going to want to see just how much bang they are getting for their buck, even they are only paying the security bill.

In my wildest imaginings we will see the guests in White Tie and Tiara's at the Ball, and maybe Kate's first Tiara, although she won't luck out like Mary she could still look fabulous as, ever frugal, she could be the lucky recipient of something from the mythical vault as appropriate to her and the Delhi Durbar is for Camilla!

I know that if dreams had wings I could fly but I'm willing to dream that it isn't pigs that are flying!:lol:

I don't see Kate being given a tiara to wear at a ball before the wedding. She isn't a member of the Royalty family yet and doesn't come into the family with a title and tiara of her own. I also don't see a formal tiara event since that would put Kate at a disadvantage for the same reasons.

I don't see Kate being given a tiara to wear at a ball before the wedding. She isn't a member of the Royalty family yet and doesn't come into the family with a title and tiara of her own. I also don't see a formal tiara event since that would put Kate at a disadvantage for the same reasons.

I agree that we are unlikely to see Kate in a tiara before the wedding. Also, HM will not be keen to have a high profile ball, and I suspect it will not be a tiara event, just as the ball celebrating HMs jubilee was not.

Interesting, because I remember that Diana was said to be living with the Queen Mother before the wedding to be trained in royal protocol, or some such.

According to Steven Barry who was Charles' equerry at the time, Di was living in BP and bored a good deal of the time. She only went to Clarence house the night before the wedding so she could leave from there.

I don't remember seeing any pictures of the other balls before the weddings.

Depends if we see the ball at all or if it's private.

Were there other balls, or did we not know about that?

Has Kate Middleton chosen her wedding dress designer? Bookies close bets as 'all the money was on Bruce Oldfield' | Mail Online

Since Prince William announced his engagement to Kate Middleton, the subject of her wedding dress has been a hot topic. Will it be Brazilian-born Issa designer Daniella Helayel? Or perhaps classic bridal label Phillipa Lepley?
Now bookmakers have received the strongest indication yet that a designer for the gown has been chosen.

Paddy Power has received so many wagers on Bruce Oldfield to design the Royal wedding dress, it has suspended betting.

I was just reading this! While of course its not confirmed, it does seem to be a strong indication, don't you think??

Other than hearing all of the speculative comments about him being one of Diana's favorite designers, I think Oldfield is a good choice. He's got enough experience to understand what is needed and what is appropriate, but he's also got a wonderful eye for what suits a woman's shape. I liked several things in Philippa Lepley's portolio that I think would suit Catherine, but the thought of someone so young designing a dress of this magnitude made me uneasy. I think Oldfield's age and experience bodes well for the entire wedding party.

Kate would look lovely in any designer's gown, but I do hope the Bruce Oldfield rumors are correct. His talent is undeniable and it would be an additional tribute to Diana.

I also don't see a formal tiara event since that would put Kate at a disadvantage for the same reasons.

Two days later she will become an HRH and a future Queen. I really don't think Kate would give a hoot if she wasn't wearing a tiara for the ball, but surely someone will lend her one for the night.

ETA I've been thinking about this since I originally posted and have decided that since Kate isn't from an aristocratic family which has its own tiara, it would be better if she didn't wear one for the ball. If she's proud of who she is, and I believe she is, she will want to present herself as she is, and not wearing someone else's borrowed doodad.

Roslyn -

I had the same thought about the tiara - I don't think Catherine cares about the wearing of someone else's "doodad". I even have the feeling that she might forego the tiara at the wedding and instead stick to some beautiful antique pins in her hair (along with some fresh gardenia and antique veil). I'm probably way off base but I thought it would be a signal that this is the new modern monarchy.

Roslyn -

I had the same thought about the tiara - I don't think Catherine cares about the wearing of someone else's "doodad". I even have the feeling that she might forego the tiara at the wedding and instead stick to some beautiful antique pins in her hair (along with some fresh gardenia and antique veil). I'm probably way off base but I thought it would be a signal that this is the new modern monarchy.

Hmmm, that is something I don't hope for. As modern as monarchy has become, this is one 'old-fashioned' thing I would love to see.

Roslyn -

I truly hope Kate will wear a tiara. I just saw on ET (Entertainment Tonight) that Snoop Dog wrote a rap song in honor of William and Kate and that he was asked to perform for the royal family. Didn't know Wills was into Rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom