Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree with both of you. The British Royal family has always been famous in the US and around the world. Millions watched when she married Prince Charles because the heir to the throne was getting married...not because he was marrying Diana, the most famous woman on the planet. The world....and I might add, the GROOM barely knew her. It wasn't Diana that made the Royal family famous. The Royal family made HER famous when she married the heir to the throne.

I agree. It would probably have been the same no matter who Charles married- at least as far as the wedding was concerned.
Afterward, though, Diana looked like a storybook princess, and that's why the press kept coming round.

This was true for me. I hadn't actually seen much coverage of Diana before the wedding. I saw the engagement announcement and interview on that day, but I didn't see the pre-wedding interview until it was available on YouTube. I would have watched the wedding regardless of who Prince Charles married, but I think that I really got interested in Diana during documentary things that were also aired that day: she was close in age to me and looked so much nicer than his other girlfriends. They were all so sophisticated looking, for one thing. Diana looked more like someone I could relate to at my age.

It's so hard to believe that it was 30 years ago; now things have gone full circle through a generation and a son of that 1981 marriage is getting married. I think that this bride is much better prepared for what she's getting into.:flowers:

It wasn't Diana that made the Royal family famous. The Royal family made HER famous when she married the heir to the throne.

I am thrilled to be able to witness William marry such a lovely young woman who doesn't have a title and who he obviously respects and adores.

Charles was at one time the fairy tale Prince...and WHOMEVER he married was going to be big news. Thats why pretty much everyone woman he was linked too was stalked by the Press. It just so happened it was Diana.

The same with William. He could have married Isabella, Jecca, anyone and it would have been big news.

Again, people are basing what they think is American coverage solely on Diana. I have read several books that talked about how the American Press dealt with Royals before Diana. Read anything about Queen Elizabeth and King George VI tour of the States and Canada in 1937. A young Queen Elizabeth on the cover of Time magazine (a baby Elizabeth in an earlier edition). Diana wasn't even a blip on the radar.

I believe that the royal men when wearing weddings in the past, have worn them on the same hand as their signet ring. In regards to Charles, I believe he wore Diana's ring after her death, but took it off when he married Camilla. Which makes sense perfect sense to me.

Jacknch is trying to get us to talk about flowers!:whistling:

For the life of my I can't remember the flowers at previous royal weddings. Are we talking about the flowers that Kate will carry or those in the church?

IMO The Diana/Charles/Williams wedding interest all go hand in hand....had Diana not married the heir she wouldn't have become famous and had William who is himself and heir and her son thus the interest in his wedding.... Williams wedding is double huge as heir to heir and as Diana's son, normally both would have been big draw but the 2 go hand in hand.....

I agree with Zonk the US had always had special interest in the BRF even before/after Diana
I can't even begin to speculate flowers Kate may carry, what did other BRF brides carry?

And for the record not every man who doesn't wear a wedding ring cheats....it's an option, not the law whatever personal feelings on the subject maybe....

Kate will be expected to have some heather (I think it is) from Balmoral. Queen Victoria carried it on her wedding day and a sprig from that flower or something like that has been carried by every British royal bride since, including Diana.

There will be other flowes of course but that one will be there, unless this is another tradition she and William are going to dispense with.

To get an idea about weddings, I looked in my book Two Centuries of Royal Weddings by Christpher Warwick. These are old few British Royal weddings mentioned in the book:

Princess May of Teck (later Queen Mary) wore a white brocade satin embroidered with silver roses, thistles and shamrocks festooned with orange blossom (it looks better than it sounds).

Lady Elizabeth Bowles Lyon (later Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother) - a bouquet of white roses and heather

Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark (Duchess of Kent) - a bouquet of lilies

Princess Margaret - a bouquet of orchids and stephanotis

Miss Katherine Worsley (Duchess of Kent) - white roses

Princess Alexandra of Kent - a Victorian posy of freesias, narcissi, stephanotis, and lilies of the valey

Brigitte van Duers (Duchess of Gloucester) - white and cream summer floweres bound by satin ribbon

Princess Anne - a bouquet of fifteen white "Jack Frost" roses, orchid stems from Singapore, stephanotis, lily of the valley leaves and sprig of myrtle

And thats it. They also talk about Princess Mary (later Princess Royal), Princess Patricia of Connaught and Lady Louise Mountbatten (later Queen of Sweden). The author doesnt' go into detail about their flowers. It ends with Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.

Prince William would be famous no matter who his mother is/was. If she had been a plain Jane from some obscure part of England, dressed like a frump and only walked in Prince Charles' shadow it wouldn't have made any difference to William's future. He is famous because his Grandmother is the Queen of England, his father is the Prince of Wales and William will be the King of England.

As for the flowers....I wouldn't know where to begin in guessing. :flowers:

Prince William would be famous no matter who his mother is/was.

I agree. It's impossible to argue with any certainty what ifs/might have beens, but from my perspective, as someone from a younger generation, I neither remember, nor care about his mom. William is a prince. He's tall. He's British. His wife gets to wear tiaras. That's all that matters to me and those I know from my generation. The fact that he's marrying his pretty, normal university sweetheart is just icing on the cake.

Jack, I've read multiple times that Kate loves lilies. Maybe they'll decorate the tall columns with lilies.

Last edited:
So did I miss the discussion about William not kissing his new bride? I went back a few pages and didn't see it. The tabloid shows in the U.S. have decided to make that the story of the past 24 hours - and I hear that it's standard OP for the CoE.

The ceremony sounds very solemn dignified, at any case.

I'm a little shocked at some of the statements coming out here and feel abit saddened at the thought that with the exception of William, Harry and their dead mother, Americans wouldn't give a care for the British royal family.

Oh well, are we ever going to discuss floral decorations for Westminster Abbey?!

Why saddened? It's not an American institution so the level of American interest really doesn't matter. The monarchy's survival isn't subject to what American's may or may not think of it.

And it would be no real surprise that without Diana, William or Henry that American interest wouldn't quite be what it is because it is those three that were/are generally considered to be celebrities, before all else and in America if anything sells, it's celebrity culture.

Last edited:
rcra said:
I think it would be great if Kate used 'Sweet Williams' in her bouquet.

But I doubt she will since it's a pink flower

http://thump01.pbase.com/u45/mattis/small/29377989.Sweetwilliams_001.jpg

I think...there are other colors of sweet william and that would be awesome.
Also it would be neat if they would do flowers based on the mediaeval and renaissance and Victorian traditions of flowers' meanings.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals

I know some men who don't wear a wedding ring purely because they know people know they 're married and don't want to wear the ring- wedding rings while encouraged are not manadatory becauses a ring is not s marriage .... I personally believe plp should as a sign of respect to their spouse if nothing else wear their rings but some plp don't....I am sure William will ....

Its between the couple I think. In some occupations its actually dangerous to wear any ring. Charles chose to wear his wedding ring underneath his POW signet ring. Its all in a couple's choice. I really don't expect them to get matching UPC tattoos with the wedding date like my Brian and Tara did(dang.. that has to be a first) but whatever they do.. its up to them. Its personal.

I'm sorry but why should they? Americans are not commonwealth citizens, they have no link to the royal family, since their war for independence. Some likely could not name anyone but the queen, they have trouble naming our prime minister and we live north of them. To a lot of Americans, not all Americans as there are obviously a number on this site, royalty are just celebrities nothing else.

Well for one.. I admired Charles growing up.. OK.. OK.. maybe I was a bit like Diana and gushed over him. He was my age. I grew up in a typical American family with the females following the example of the Queen and the Queen Mum. 'a lady always wears gloves to church" "a lady never smokes in public". That kind of thing. And the honker "the house should be presentable for the Queen". This dates me I know and its how I grew up in the 50s and 60s. All I knew at that time though was Charles was a prince and a wee bit older than me. I dreamt of riding off into the sunset.. hehe.

We also have to remember that Diana married into the BRF and not the other way around. When history is read 300 years from now, she will be but a blip on the page. 1981-1997. Her time in the BRF. What is the legacy is what remains to be seen as William gets older and brings the best of both his parents to the monarchy.

Diana's bouquet had myrtle as well, I believe. I think that there's some historic connection there.

Princess Anne - a bouquet of fifteen white "Jack Frost" roses, orchid stems from Singapore, stephanotis, lily of the valley leaves and sprig of myrtle

Diana's bouquet had myrtle as well, I believe. I think that there's some historic connection there.

The myrtle comes from a plant at Osborne House. This was struck from a sprig of myrtle out of Queen Victoria's bouquet. I believe that all royal brides since have included a sprig from this plant in their wedding bouquet.

wymanda said:
The myrtle comes from a plant at Osborne House. This was struck from a sprig of myrtle out of Queen Victoria's bouquet. I believe that all royal brides since have included a sprig from this plant in their wedding bouquet.

Myrtle in Classical tradition was sacred to Aphrodite the Goddess of Love. It's been traditional in wedding flowers for eons.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals

Yes, I believe Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Camilla had it as well. The book I referenced was published in 1980 :flowers:

Well for one.. I admired Charles growing up.. OK.. OK.. maybe I was a bit like Diana and gushed over him. He was my age. I grew up in a typical American family with the females following the example of the Queen and the Queen Mum. 'a lady always wears gloves to church" "a lady never smokes in public". That kind of thing. And the honker "the house should be presentable for the Queen". This dates me I know and its how I grew up in the 50s and 60s. All I knew at that time though was Charles was a prince and a wee bit older than me. I dreamt of riding off into the sunset.. hehe.

We also have to remember that Diana married into the BRF and not the other way around. When history is read 300 years from now, she will be but a blip on the page. 1981-1997. Her time in the BRF. What is the legacy is what remains to be seen as William gets older and brings the best of both his parents to the monarchy.

We must have been separated at birth, Osipi! LOL I'm a year older than Charles, but I was in awe of that entire family growing up. When Princess Margaret's marriage was announced, I thought my mother was going to faint when she learned the groom was a commoner. And the beat goes on.

Myrtle in the bridal bouquet

Yes, the spring does come from the myrtle bush on the Isle of Wight. QV introduced it to Britian (as far as we know), but it is a very old German tradition for the bride to carry a sprig of myrtle. It is possible that the first bride of England to carry myrtle was Anne of Cleves.

Last edited:
Whatever flowers the bride chooses, I hope she doesn't carry one of those huge waterfall arrangements that look like she's hauling half the florist shop around.
OTOH, and dinky little arrangement won't work, either.

Jason Wu Dishes Out Advice For Kate Middleton's Wedding Dressmaker
"Embrace the moment of attention, but be prepared to make your next step. Your career is not just about one experience, one hit show. You have to figure out what your next acts are going to be." He added that thanks to his first lady fashions, "I could have been a reality star, a TV personality, a spokesperson for this or that. There were book and movie proposals. They wanted to make me into a 'personality.'"

Don't the men of the BRF wear their wedding rings on their little finger under (behind?) their signet rings? I'm sure that I have seen Charles's ring there. But I don't know if William wears a signet ring?

See item #44:
60 things one must know about Prince Charles from 14 Nov 2008 - mirror.co.uk

Yes, I think that's correct. Not sure if William has a signet ring, I don't think so and although it is a traditional "aristocratic" thing to wear a signet ring on teh little finger William may just opt for a wedding ring on the normal wedding ring finger.

I am reminded that Sarah Ferguson quickly slipped a wedding ring on Andrew's finger during their ceremony, but no words were spoken at that moment. If William chooses to wear a wedding ring, it would be nice if it was placed on his finger with some words of committment from Kate. Although there are standard ring vows spoken by the bride on giving the ring in a civil ceremony, I'm not so sure if this is the case for a religeous ceremony.

Whatever flowers the bride chooses, I hope she doesn't carry one of those huge waterfall arrangements that look like she's hauling half the florist shop around.
OTOH, and dinky little arrangement won't work, either.

Totally agree! I much prefer something simple than those huge arrengements royal brifes usually wear. Nothing green either.
I'm hoping for a simple bouquet of vaious white flowers or even a red rose bouquet.

Yes, I believe Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Camilla had it as well. The book I referenced was published in 1980 :flowers:

Thanks for the flowers information on the previous page ZONK!

As it's a spring wedding, if spring flowers are used then the colour scheme (for the bouquet AND decorations in the Abbey) could be quite bright and lively with yellows and creams (such a daffodils) and blues (such a hyacinths).

For alot of royal and non-royal weddings, creams and whites seem to be the most popular choice. Purples and blues are my favourite colours for flowers. As well as the dress and tiara and what guests will wear etc, I think it is just a exciting to imagine how the overall theme of the wedding will look!

So did I miss the discussion about William not kissing his new bride? I went back a few pages and didn't see it. The tabloid shows in the U.S. have decided to make that the story of the past 24 hours - and I hear that it's standard OP for the CoE.

The ceremony sounds very solemn dignified, at any case.

If they are talking Charles and Diana, it was an accident, Charles forgot to kiss his wife. Or so I read. There were a number of slip ups in the wedding. She called him Philip, which led him to later joke she was marrying his father not him. He said 'her eartlhy goods' instead of 'his earthly goods' and he put her wedding ring on the wrong hand.

I notice at least in rewatching a clip, maybe it was cut out, Sophie didn't say anything when she put on Edward's ring. Edward's is next to his signet, but Sophie didn't wear her engagement ring, and his was on his pinkie finger.

Last edited:
If they are talking Charles and Diana, it was an accident, Charles forgot to kiss his wife. There were a number of slip ups in the wedding. She called him Philip, which led him to later joke she was marrying his father not him. He said 'her eartlhy goods' instead of 'his earthly goods' and he put her wedding ring on the wrong hand.

I had known about the mix up on the names during the vows but I'd never heard about the worldly good part nor the wrong hand for the wedding ring. Methinks the both of them were a tad bit nervous eh? Sometimes though its these little mix ups that make a wedding more memorable.

For some reason I've been thinking that it was standard practice for the couple not to kiss at the altar but waited until they had left the church to do so. Were there kisses at the altar for previous royal wedding?

For some reason I've been thinking that it was standard practice for the couple not to kiss at the altar but waited until they had left the church to do so. Were there kisses at the altar for previous royal wedding?

That's what I though too. The only kiss I was expecting to see was at the balcony (and even that one isn't 100% certain)

She's marrying her Sweet William and in looking up the meaning of the flower, it stands for bravery. I'm tending to think that whatever choice Kate does make, there will be meaning behind it.

Flowers Meaning, Different Flowers Symbolic Meaning, Wedding Flower Color Meanings
that would be a really nice touch to it. People in this thread have such good ideas. I hope whoever is in charge of the whole thing, has an account here :p!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom