Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And according to this press release, the BBC America coverage is going to be a direct simulcast of BBC One, and it's going to be commercial-free.

And according to this press release, the BBC America coverage is going to be a direct simulcast of BBC One, and it's going to be commercial-free.

Hmmmm... I'll definitely have to keep that in mind should any of the US channels go to commercials. My cable provider doesn't offer BBC America in HD and since I bought my HDTV the summer before last, I've migrated to most of the HD channels.

I read somewhere that the mark of a fashion icon is someone that people copy. So, as we have seen, if Kate wears something and it immediately sells out, she qualifies. It doesn't surprise me at all that women are copying her because, by and large, women are going to copy styles that are wearable and Kate's wardrobe is classic and very wearable. Whether or not she always pulls an entire look together, she picks some really great pieces that would be a great addition to anyone's closet.

jdcharlie said:
I read somewhere that the mark of a fashion icon is someone that people copy. So, as we have seen, if Kate wears something and it immediately sells out, she qualifies. It doesn't surprise me at all that women are copying her because, by and large, women are going to copy styles that are wearable and Kate's wardrobe is classic and very wearable. Whether or not she always pulls an entire look together, she picks some really great pieces that would be a great addition to anyone's closet.

I feel like she is not old enough and hasn't had enough fashion impact to be considered an icon... yet. To me an icon implies a legacy and Kate certainly doesn't have that status yet. Fashionable maybe, someone people copy, sure but icon....? That's a bit high I think

Wow, this is getting tiring. I feel like I could have mentioned any dress and you would hate it. As I wrote not a copy of that dress but something dreamy looking like that, modernized. (Yet Kate already seems to wear a lot of 80's inspired outfits though so not really a stretch.)

I am the first person to say I hope she doesn't copy Diana. Yet grand wedding dresses always call to the past in some way, to some era. In fact it is usually the one day women will indulge their romantic fantasies of fashion from the past.

As for a flower "wreath" no. Fresh flowers in her hair which many brides choose now would be very pretty. I mention Fergie as in how she went in single, not royal with flowers, and emerged married and revealing the tiara which was nice and surprisingly humble.

Also I wrote I liked the idea of a fairy princess like, floaty dress in white, not lilac as in Diana's photo. If you want to pick apart my posts relentlessly please read them completely first, and even then give me a break. I come here to have fun and speculate.

Very interesting posts guys about Mary, I didn't realize white was the color of mourning then. Yet, come to think of it, recently I have seen a movie from the Philippines which shows a funeral where the mourners also wore all white. :flowers:

I hope Kate will choose a dress that is right for her, and for the church occasion, because she will have to live with the photos for years to come. It is fun to speculate on several types of dresses, colors, hairstyles, makeup, etc. We may all be very surprised what she chooses, I hope so. I know the sort of dress I would design for her (more ethereal), and I will enjoy seeing what she does wear because I keep going in circles wondering. At least the wedding is coming soon! :p

Someone disagreeing with your dress choice is not a personal attack so don't make it one. And yes, I'd likely disagree with any dresses of Diana's, as like I stated they were good for the 80's but are out dated in the 21st century. Again not a personal attack, stating my opinion, as you stated your opinion. This is a discussion forumn is it not?

And I never suggested you thought she should wear another color. The only mention of color was my opinion on it, again not all about you. I thought there was a chance, in under skirts or such, there may be color. Numerous other posters mentioned other colors being common even in royal dresses.

I hope the dress is totally Kate. Yes she could do a fairy princess look but it isn't her. She is not a princess from fairy tales, she is a modern princess. I hope she picks something beautiful and modern, but still with enough tradition to fit the beautiful cathedral she is getting married in.

I agree, and I think it is also for people a lot more down to earth. You know even her days where she is not all put together. She isn't some celebrity who walks out the door looking like she had some personal stylist work on her for hours. You know she shops at Top shop and such, stores we can just go buy her item (well I am excited as we are getting them in Canada soon). She does have her expensive designer pieces too, but a lot of her pieces we can run out and buy, and not get knock offs. And she is young, unfortunately a lot of the younger celebrities dress pretty trashy, Kate is different.

"Matthew revealed he is not disappointed to have missed out, saying designing the dress is not his "thing"

Yeah, right Matthew, I would just bet that designing that wedding dress isn't his "thing".

Pardon me, while I pick myself up off the floor from laughing.

Someone disagreeing with your dress choice is not a personal attack so don't make it one. And yes, I'd likely disagree with any dresses of Diana's, as like I stated they were good for the 80's but are out dated in the 21st century. Again not a personal attack, stating my opinion, as you stated your opinion. This is a discussion forumn is it not?

And I never suggested you thought she should wear another color. The only mention of color was my opinion on it, again not all about you. I thought there was a chance, in under skirts or such, there may be color. Numerous other posters mentioned other colors being common even in royal dresses.

I hope the dress is totally Kate. Yes she could do a fairy princess look but it isn't her. She is not a princess from fairy tales, she is a modern princess. I hope she picks something beautiful and modern, but still with enough tradition to fit the beautiful cathedral she is getting married in.
Why is this a defend Kate vociferously forum suddenly .Is she not above and beyond reproach as Ceasar's impending wife?

Personally, that beautiful dress from 1981 is one of my favourites from the early Diana years. I love the way that it looks in stills and also on video.

I wrote not a copy of that dress but something dreamy looking like that, modernized. (Yet Kate already seems to wear a lot of 80's inspired outfits though so not really a stretch.)

Why is this a defend Kate vociferously forum suddenly .Is she not above and beyond reproach as Ceasar's impending wife?

Where did I defend Kate? and against what? Little confused here. We were discussing whether taking inspiration from one of Diana's dresses was a good idea. I have no idea how that gets misconstrued as defending Kate. And again against what?

:previous: I am afraid that some members cannot comprehend the notion of conversation where one shares ones often disparate opinions, albeit on a forum, with each other. The notion that someone does not agree totally with their point of view makes them feel attacked and they lash out which, when you consider the subject was wedding dress colours, is mind blowing. :flowers:

Just think, KATE & diamonds, tiara, lace, satin, silk, tulle, veils, trains and whatever floats your boat on the subject and ignore the rants. And let's face it, there is so much to speculate and muse about on this topic and let's face it, it has a finite life which ends with "The Wedding"! Those more interested in their fragile ego's are better left to themselves. ;)

:previous: I am afraid that some members cannot comprehend the notion of conversation where one shares ones often disparate opinions, albeit on a forum, with each other. The notion that someone does not agree totally with their point of view makes them feel attacked and they lash out which, when you consider the subject was wedding dress colours, is mind blowing. :flowers:

Just think, KATE & diamonds, tiara, lace, satin, silk, tulle, veils, trains and whatever floats your boat on the subject and ignore the rants. And let's face it, there is so much to speculate and muse about on this topic and let's face it, it has a finite life which ends with "The Wedding"! Those more interested in their fragile ego's are better left to themselves. ;)

Talking jewels, perhaps saphires instead of diamonds. Go with the ring, could be her something blue and if a Windsor heirloom, her borrowed and old as well. I know there are several beautiful saphire pieces, and if she is in white (shade of white) saphires would be beautiful.

:previous: Since every royal bride I have seen has stuck with the discreet flash of diamonds I have to admit I am ready to flirt with the notion of Sapphires, Rubies, Emeralds . . . . . do we have a drooling smilie anywhere? ;)

:previous: Since every royal bride I have seen has stuck with the discreet flash of diamonds I have to admit I am ready to flirt with the notion of Sapphires, Rubies, Emeralds . . . . . do we have a drooling smilie anywhere? ;)

I agree, BUT.
Aren't colored jewels considered tacky for a bride?

(I'm not certain about this, since my personal jewel collection is what you might call limited (if you were being kind). :D

Yet if I'm wrong, then I think sapphires would be lovely.

I also think the attendants should wear that Saxon Blue shade that is the color of the Garter sash! (since William is sure to wear that).

I think you could do some subtle coloured jewels, nothing too in your face or over-whelming etc. Especially if it were sapphire as that would work with the engagement ring, William's garter sash (& RAF uniform if that is what he wears). Plus I like blue as an accompanying colour to most things, think it goes well with white, with silvers, off-whites & cream colours (basically all the "usual" wedding colours). So yeah I think some subtle sapphires would work well...could depend on what bridesmaids etc are wearing & and flower displays etc though as quite often there's a colour scheme & theme everyone is working within & for a wedding of this public attention I'd assume there is some sort of overall colour scheme they're going to aim for.

wbenson said:

Yes this was announced to everyones delight! Who else will be up
Early???

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals

Talking jewels, perhaps saphires instead of diamonds. Go with the ring, could be her something blue and if a Windsor heirloom, her borrowed and old as well. I know there are several beautiful saphire pieces, and if she is in white (shade of white) saphires would be beautiful.

I think that Kate will go very understated on the jewels she wears for the wedding and will wear simple pearls. Too bad the dog ate one of the pearl earrings William gave her eh? Ivory, lace and pearls in a very simple but elegant design is what I'm leaning towards.

Ceasar's wife = above reproach.

I will be on an airplane while the wedding is going on. I'll see it later.

Osipi said:
Too bad the dog ate one of the pearl earrings William gave her eh?.

What? Lol that's funny, where did you read that? Is this her parents dog?

What? Lol that's funny, where did you read that? Is this her parents dog?

There was an article published a while back ago although I would have no clue where to find it now in the archives. Perhaps under a Kate thread pre engagement. Seems the Middleton family dog deemed fit to swallow one of her pearl earrings that William had given her. IIRC it was around the holidays in 2009.

I think that Kate will go very understated on the jewels she wears for the wedding and will wear simple pearls. Too bad the dog ate one of the pearl earrings William gave her eh? Ivory, lace and pearls in a very simple but elegant design is what I'm leaning towards.

This is a royal wedding, something is not going to be simple. I doubt she will have the simple granny pearls like Sophie did. I know Elizabeth did as well, but her entire gown was shimmering in pearls and lace, which I hope Kate won't do. If her dress is more simple and elegant, more jewels can be used about her neck and with her tiara, without looking to over board.

Or combine the both. Diana had all those beautiful pearl chokers, and I believe at least one had saphires. Could add a bit of color and sparkle without being over the top.

Last edited:
This is a royal wedding, something is not going to be simple. I doubt she will have the simple granny pearls like Sophie did. I know Elizabeth did as well, but her entire gown was shimmering in pearls and lace, which I hope Kate won't do. If her dress is more simple and elegant, more jewels can be used about her neck and with her tiara, without looking to over board.

Or combine the both. Diana had all those beautiful pearl chokers, and I believe at least one had saphires. Could add a bit of color and sparkle without being over the top.

After seeing what Kate's choices in wardrobe has been over the years, I do tend to believe that she will go the simplistic yet elegant route that Victoria did on her wedding day last year. I went back and looking at the photos, other than the cameo tiara and what looks like cameo drop earrings, she wore no other jewelry. Kate is a beautiful young woman and with the glow she'll be wearing on her day, less will be more. Then again, she might just surprise me.

Swedish Princess Victoria’s Wedding Dress Had a 16.5-Foot Train -- The Cut

After seeing what Kate's choices in wardrobe has been over the years, I do tend to believe that she will go the simplistic yet elegant route that Victoria did on her wedding day last year. I went back and looking at the photos, other than the cameo tiara and what looks like cameo drop earrings, she wore no other jewelry. Kate is a beautiful young woman and with the glow she'll be wearing on her day, less will be more. Then again, she might just surprise me.

I think it depends on the neckline. Victoria's neckline would not have worked well with a necklace, it looked perfect with the bare neck. If Kate were to go for a v or sweet heart or any other more dropped neckline, something against her skin there would be more fitting.

Crown Princess Victoria also wore a matching bracelet in addition to the tiara and earrings. (+ of course her engagement ring and later also her wedding ring)

I love the charities they chose, ones which really reflect them as a couple, and what they might focus on when William is done his stint with the RAF. Military of course, support for the families, was included. But there is a lot to do with kids, reminds me a lot of Princess Diana, but they have strayed away from her charities. There was one about using basketball in Northern Ireland to bring teens together. And dance classes for kids in under priviledged areas, to boost self esteem and encourage them to improve their lives. And the black rhinos seems fitting, considering their proposal, and all the time Will has spent in Africa. Kate does have a terminal ill kids one listed, which is similar to Diana, but her parents have been long time funders of the Starlight foundation. The bullying one is one I think more countries needed to focus time and money on.

I can see headlines in a few years, if they get a Ducal title, like The Duchess of Sussex attends dance recital as part of her patronage. Or new baby black Rhino named at London zoo William, in honor of the Duke of Camebridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom