Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
debby1965 said:
Forget all the stuff about the Ring, Tiara's etc.
I am talking about people and their feelings.
I don't care if they are the Royal Family or paupers .... when you marry someone you marry into BOTH sides of their family.
I class myself as family with both sides of my husbands family just as he does with mine. And I would be very hurt if whoever marries my children does not do the same.

I agree with you in a way- regardless of protocol/job/title her husband is half Spencer so she marrying a Spencer and into that family (if that's how William sees it) .....William's mother's sister will be her aunt in laws so I see what you mean! I married into both sides of my husbands family as well even if we spend more time with the one over the other- so in that way I understand what you mean....

As for the tiara, I do hope she doesn't wear the Spencer one and really doubt she will....

I could see Kate wearing the Spencer tiara as a way to honor Diana's memory throughout the ceremony. It would be a nice gesture.

I doubt very much she will wear anything of Diana's, for her wedding or in the near future.
Yes it would be a nice gesture/homage to Diana, but I think that has been done with the Engagement Ring.
Maybe she will appear in some of Diana's jewels in years to come once she has established herself or maybe not. :flowers:

I agree so much with you, MARG! The Age of Diana is past. The Age of Catherine is beginning. I have lots of nice memories of the Diana years, but I don't want those memories brought into the present and forced on our newest princess. The past is the past.

I emphatically do not want to see a palid immitation of Lady Diana Spencer walking up the aisle, I don't want to say "oh look, she's stlyed her hair like Diana, ohhh look she's wearing Diana's tiara, ohhh her veil as well, wow her gown is a tribute to Diana's, etc. ad nauseum.

About the tiaras - The Queen gave The Cambridge Lovers' Knot to Diana as a wedding gift. Upon Diana's death it was returned to the Palace. I wouldn't be surprised if it remains there for another decade or so.

I recall hearing recently (not sure where, now - sorry) that soon after the engagement announcement, Catherine was invited to Buckingham Palace where the Queen had instructed that every tiara, along with other dazzling jewels from the royal vaults, be laid out for Catherine's inspection in one of the ballrooms. This was when Catherine chose the tiara she will wear on her wedding day. The British royals have a substantial collection of priceless heirloom jewels and tiaras, and the general public has only seen a mere fraction of what is in those vaults. There are, apparently, very many pieces of historic provenance that haven't been seen or worn by members of the royal family in decades.

Catherine's wedding gift may not, of course, be the one she wears on her wedding day. I'd be surprised if Catherine chose the Cambridge Lovers Knot as it's so closely associated with Diana (although she may well be Duchess of Cambridge, soon) and because Diana complained about it, saying often that it was too heavy for her and always gave her a shocking headache.

Whatever she chooses, I'm sure that Catherine, a lovely natural beauty, will look absolutely spectacular on her wedding day. As I don't much like most of the tiaras which today's royalty wears (as distinct from the beautiful jewels they contain), I hope that Catherine chooses something dainty and elegant. She's displayed impeccable taste so far.

Fruitcake is awful, i'd prefer a less traditional wedding cake. :)

I'm finding the comments about fruit cake illuminating. I have never encountered a wedding cake that is not a fruit cake.

No, on reflection, I have. It was a croquembouche, and I thought it was very strange thing to do, but they were a very wealthy and trendy couple and did novel things like that. Perhaps it's noteworthy that they've divorced now, and he went bankrupt. That's what happens when you don't have a traditional wedding cake. :lol:

I'm finding the comments about fruit cake illuminating. I have never encountered a wedding cake that is not a fruit cake.

Funny... I have never seen a fruitcake... I had to Google it. :D

Mirabel said:
I don't envy any of the guests who'll have to eat fruitcake! I know it's traditional, but some traditions have had their day. Does anybody really like fruitcake?

I actually love fruitcake. In Canada fruitcake is mostly a Christmas thing, though I've been to weddings where the groomscake have been a fruitcake. Yummy, but you can't have too much of it cuz they are really sweet!!

With regard to fruitcake, for those who have never tried it, it is a very heavy cake made of dried fruits such as raisins, sultanas, currents, mixed fruit peel and glace cherries with the addition of normal cake ingredients such as flour, butter, sugar and eggs and is flavoured with various spices such as nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon etc and finally rum or whisky or brandy. Before putting marzipan and icing on the top, more booze is sprinkled over. I personally absolutely love it, but it most people I know don't!
William and Kate are obviously going down the traditional route with a fruitcake!

No, on reflection, I have. It was a croquembouche, and I thought it was very strange thing to do, but they were a very wealthy and trendy couple and did novel things like that. Perhaps it's noteworthy that they've divorced now, and he went bankrupt. That's what happens when you don't have a traditional wedding cake. :lol:

I have seen many cakes that aren't fruitcake. The most recent one had three layers, chocolate sponge - vanilla sponge - fruitcake (to satisfy the mum-in-law) :)
Croquembouche is delicious. :flowers:

Perhaps they'll go traditional for the wedding breakfast, then non-traditional in the evening.

:previous: Now that really is a no-brainer. I think the engagement ring was a lovely gesture but as was said before, this is Catherine's wedding to Prince William not an action replay of 1981!

This is Catherine's "Moment", the one we will all look back on and remember, hopefully with great joy, that this was the first time we saw her in her own right, her own character, her own style. Catherine, Duchess of ?

I don't know about you, but I would love to say . . . "oh I love how she had her hair, the way her tiara sat, the fall of the veil, the elegance of the gown . . . . wow, did we just see a future Queen walk up the aisle"

I emphatically do not want to see a palid immitation of Lady Diana Spencer walking up the aisle, I don't want to say "oh look, she's stlyed her hair like Diana, ohhh look she's wearing Diana's tiara, ohhh her veil as well, wow her gown is a tribute to Diana's, etc. ad nauseum.

And no, she is not marrying into the Spencer family, she is marrying into the BRF! And if Diana were alive I think she would cringe at the pathetic attempts to turn her future daughter-in-law into her clone. She wore her family tiara, Catherine's family do not have one so a gift or loan from her future family is in order and she would be heading the charge for just such a one for her darling Wills.

Marg beautifully written observation on Catherine's wedding day.:flowers:

I have seen many cakes that aren't fruitcake. The most recent one had three layers, chocolate sponge - vanilla sponge - fruitcake (to satisfy the mum-in-law) :)
Croquembouche is delicious. :flowers:

Perhaps they'll go traditional for the wedding breakfast, then non-traditional in the evening.

The article said that the top layer would be fruitcake, and the other layers different types of cake. I guess that is the new trend in wedding cakes.:flowers:

Here in the United States, I have never been to a wedding where the wedding cake was a fruitcake.
That's something you usually have around Christmas, where you'll often get one as a gift (and in my case, promptly pass on to someone else. I had an uncle who was the recipient of all the family fruitcakes; he must have had a year's supply after the holidays!)

But I've seen wedding cakes that were white, chocolate, marble, red velvet, etc.
Never fruitcake!

I remember reading that wedding cakes (used to) often have 1 layer of fruitcake because if properly kept, it can stay good for a long time, i.e. for your 1st wedding anniversary or for the christening of your first child.

PR :flowers:

:previous: That's very true. And it depends on the alcohol content in the fruitcake which acts as a preserver and how it is stored.

I myself have eaten fruitcake two, three years old and I have to say it's wonderful. I'm not the biggest fan of this type of cake but on occasion it can be quite lovely.

Here in Australia, fruitcake is traditionally used for wedding cakes, but there has been a shift to mud cake and layered sponge for some time now.

Last edited:
My wedding cake was fruitcake. At that time (don't know about now) this was the traditional wedding cake. I balked a bit, but my mother and I followed the lead of my mother-in-law. It was delicious and, more importantly, all our guests loved it too. Long live fruitcake!

:previous: As a child I would edge the almond icing away from the cake, eat the icing and give the cake to someone who wanted it :D

:previous: As a child I would edge the almond icing away from the cake, eat the icing and give the cake to someone who wanted it :D

With fruitcake, I still do that. The icing is the best bit.
I hope they don't just have a plain white cake with no decoration. :flowers:

I recently read in a book about queen Victoria's court that the queen insisted that all princesses had to wear tiaras for dinner which some hated and complained they get headaches from wearing them, so the queen allowed them to wear golden hairnets renaissance style instead which became some sort fo Royal fashion after that.

I wonder how Catherine would look with such a hairnet with integrated tiara part as there surely are some left in the Royal vaults?

Princess Michael of Kent wore one (with flowers) at her wedding, and it looked very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see Kate wearing the Spencer tiara as a way to honor Diana's memory throughout the ceremony. It would be a nice gesture.

IMO, it would be unwarranted and over the top. While William is part-Spencer, she is not marrying into the Spencer family, she's marrying into the Windsors. The Spencer Tiara is reserved for Spencer brides, or women marrying into that family. Kate doesn't fit that description.

She doesn't need to honor Diana's memory throughout her wedding ceremony. The wedding should be about William and herself, not his dead mother.

I think that the lovers-knot tiara is too grand for Kate to wear at this time. Given her status within the family, I'd expect her to wear something smaller. People seem to forget that Diana was The Princess of Wales after her marriage and so was due a tiara that reflected that. Had Diana been still a member of the BRF after the Queen Mother died, I expect that she'd be wearing the Honeycomb tiara that Camilla now wears. It had belonged to the Queen Mother. I could be wrong, but I expect a more modest tiara for Kate, perhaps something more along the lines of a bandeau.

I don't want to bring the Obama thing up again but Nancy Regan, who was First Lady at the time, attended Prince Andrew's wedding in 1986 and it also wasn't a state occasion. I'm not saying PW should invite Michelle Obama to his wedding just that I don't see how that can be used as an excuse for not inviting her when it's happened before.

The Reagan's had a special relationship with the British Royal family. The Obama's don't have the same relationship.

The Reagan's had a special relationship with the British Royal family. The Obama's don't have the same relationship.
Furthermore, neither William nor Catherine have ever met the Obamas. So definitely no special relationship, no relationship at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom