Wedding of William & Catherine: Royal Wedding Miscellania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eliza. Grace looks like she might bite.

I have to choose?:ohmy:

My thoughts exactly. They were both very precious (though I will say it appeared that Grace needed a cuddle somewhere in between the official portrait session and the balcony because she looked so overwhelmed).

Great..here we go again...this is not in relation to you guys btw

Now back to the question of baby cheeks to kiss:
I feel for Grace, I hate loud noises as well and I'm not 3yrs out of the womb. I just adore those precious little ones. Did you know Grace tripped when the wedding party was walking into BUckingham Palace?

Great..here we go again...this is not in relation to you guys btw

Now back to the question of baby cheeks to kiss:
I feel for Grace, I hate loud noises as well and I'm not 3yrs out of the womb. I just adore those precious little ones. Did you know Grace tripped when the wedding party was walking into BUckingham Palace?

I saw a glimpse of it during the coverage. I think she was really done for. If you look closely at the official photos, she looks exhausted. I give her a lot of brownie points for not breaking down and bawling.

I didn't hear about it until yesterday. It was so cute how that dark haired boy immediately tried to help her. He probably doesn't like girls (they have cooties) especially little ones who can't rough and tumble with him. I give kudos to Eliza and Grace that they stayed on point throughout and seemed to follow directions well. They did disappear during the actual ceremony which was probably a good thing considering how young they are.

kate ring not fit in her finger right? because prince william have dificult when he put the ring for her

I didn't hear about it until yesterday. It was so cute how that dark haired boy immediately tried to help her. He probably doesn't like girls (they have cooties) especially little ones who can't rough and tumble with him. I give kudos to Eliza and Grace that they stayed on point throughout and seemed to follow directions well. They did disappear during the actual ceremony which was probably a good thing considering how young they are.

I noticed that Grace and Eliza were not present at the service, and like you, thought it was a great idea. It gave them a chance to rest and not worry about behaving themselves so much (plus, I don't know if they would have been too comfortable sitting with the rest of the kids and not being able to see their parents, which could have produced anxiety). They did appear again when it was time to go back to Buckingham Palace, and I also noticed that when they all walked down the aisle towards the alter, Grace and Eliza were walking with the page boys. Overall, I think all kids involved behaved splendidly, and from what I've read, they got candy after the service for doing such a great job. Love that gesture, since it gets they all hyped up just in time for their parents to take them home :ROFLMAO:.

Yeah the big kids got to stay through the entire service. And remembering how bored I am at church and I'm in my 20s I can only imagine how tedious it was for those kids and how good they were for behaving themselves. Expecting a 3yr old to not squirm in church in front of billions of people is just asking for trouble. I wonder what Eliza and Grace got to do behind closed doors during the ceremony. I don't think they would be allowed to go to sleep because they could be woken up cranky.

Yeah the big kids got to stay through the entire service. And remembering how bored I am at church and I'm in my 20s I can only imagine how tedious it was for those kids and how good they were for behaving themselves. Expecting a 3yr old to not squirm in church in front of billions of people is just asking for trouble. I wonder what Eliza and Grace got to do behind closed doors during the ceremony. I don't think they would be allowed to go to sleep because they could be woken up cranky.

Taking a nap probably was out of the question, because if you wake up a toddler it could end badly (I remember dealing with many a whines with my younger sister when I was a teenager, due to her nap being interrupted). As for being bored at Church, I think it depends on the occasion. Perhaps the excitement of the day and was enough to keep the kids focused. I noticed that Louise was following along and singing. You could see she was happy to witness this particular service/ceremony.

Which little bitty bridesmaid did you want to cover in kisses more:

Grace Van Cutsem or Eliza Lopes?

Both. Equally!
That whole ceremony must've been overwhelming ! And as others pointed out, they did a great job.

Salutes during procession

I have a question. I am new to the forum and have been making my way through the posts but have not yet seen anything that answers my question. I hope I am not violating protocol by posting it here. Apologies if I have.

I noticed during William and Catherine's carriage ride back to the palace after the wedding that on several occasions he saluted and she bowed her head, obviously in respect to someone or something along the route. Thinking back to Charles and Diana's wedding, I do not recall that they did the same thing. Is it because William is considered to be active military duty and Charles was not?

Secondly, I'm curious about the military uniforms so many of the men wore. In the U.S., most men who are no longer on active duty do not wear their uniforms. It appears that this is not the case in Great Britain as Princes Charles and Andrew wore uniforms and even Prince Philip at age 89 wore one. Even Edward wore a uniform and I was under the impression that he never completed a military commitment.

If anyone can address these questions, I'd be grateful.

Welcome to the forums!

I'll try to answer at least one of your questions. During the procession from the Abbey, William and Catherine's carriage passed by the War Memorial, and that's why William saluted and Catherine bowed her head.

Not sure about the military uniforms, unfortunately.

I have a question. I am new to the forum and have been making my way through the posts but have not yet seen anything that answers my question. I hope I am not violating protocol by posting it here. Apologies if I have.

I noticed during William and Catherine's carriage ride back to the palace after the wedding that on several occasions he saluted and she bowed her head, obviously in respect to someone or something along the route. Thinking back to Charles and Diana's wedding, I do not recall that they did the same thing. Is it because William is considered to be active military duty and Charles was not?

Secondly, I'm curious about the military uniforms so many of the men wore. In the U.S., most men who are no longer on active duty do not wear their uniforms. It appears that this is not the case in Great Britain as Princes Charles and Andrew wore uniforms and even Prince Philip at age 89 wore one. Even Edward wore a uniform and I was under the impression that he never completed a military commitment.

If anyone can address these questions, I'd be grateful.

Welcome to the forums!

I'll try to answer at least one of your questions. During the procession from the Abbey, William and Catherine's carriage passed by the War Memorial, and that's why William saluted and Catherine bowed her head.

Not sure about the military uniforms, unfortunately.

Here is information about Prince Charles' uniform:

HRH The Prince of Wales's Uniform.

I don't think there is any 'rule' on when to stop wearing your uniform, but Phillip, Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward have all received honorary military appointments.

Edward did not complete military training neither did Princess Anne nor Queen Elizabeth II. All three wear or have worn uniform on occasions.

Please can I add a little background information here?

William and Catherine were saluting / bowing to the Centotaph as it is properly known. It is indeed a war memorial and stands in Whitehall, and the Royal Wedding procession of course did pass by it. My parents have always told me that when they were younger, men of their generation ALWAYS removed their hats as a sign of respect WHENEVER they passed the Cenotaph, although this practice has ceased over the last 40 years or so, which is probably why William and Catherine's act of homage stood out. It

The Cenotaph was originally constructed as a memorial to those of the armed forces who lost their lives in the first world war, but is now treated as a memorial to all those who have served in all those wars in which Britain has fought.

Each year, on the second Sunday of November, the UK commemorates those service personnel who lost their lives in all wars fought by the British Army by holding a formal service of Rememberance at the Cenotaph. It is a solemn occasion; the Queen leads the country in the Act of Rememberance by laying the first wreath on the Cenotraph [always seen on tv coverage and then in press coverage] followed by other members of the BRF.

Edward did not complete military training neither did Princess Anne nor Queen Elizabeth II. All three wear or have worn uniform on occasions.

Good Heavens!! I hope that Her Majesty is NOT reading TRF tonight, otherwise it will be 'off with Lumutqueen's head' [or it would have been some generations ago.!!]

Her Majesty MOST DEFINITELY did complete military training! During the war she joined the Women's branch of the Army, which was then known as the ATS. She joined, not in an honorary capacity, BUT as a serving Subaltern [Lieutenant] and trained as a driver, which included training and working as a mechanic. This was because these were the roles open to women at the time - it was not possible in those days for women to be deployed in battle. By the time the second world war ended, The Queen had reached the rank of Junior Commander. These, emphatically, were NOT honorary appointments: the Queen underwent a full training, qualified and then worked in army. She is reputedly proud of her achievements in her army role. There are many anecdotal stories in existence of how the Queen can change car wheels and service car engines. In recent times, when out in a Land Rover that broke down during a private visit to see some racehorses, Her Majesty was quick to diagnose the problem and what needed to be done etc.

The Queen is entitled to wear the uniforms that she does by virtue of the fact that as Sovereign she is Head of the Armed Forces.

Other members of the BRF hold honorary appointments in all three of the armed services. This is why members of the BRF are seen wearing uniforms on various occasions. The Duchess of Cornwall and the Earl and Countess of Wessex all hold a number of such appointments [as do other members of the BRF]

Hope this helps,
Alex

Last edited:
Good Heavens!! I hope that Her Majesty is NOT reading TRF tonight, otherwise it will be 'off with Lumutqueen's head' [or it would have been some generations ago.!!]

Her Majesty MOST DEFINITELY did complete military training! During the war she joined the Women's branch of the Army, which was then known as the ATS. She joined, not in an honorary capacity BUT as a serving Subaltern [Lieutenant] and trained as a driver, which included training and working as a mechanic. This was because these were the roles open to women at the time - it was not possible in those days for women to be deployed in battle. By the time the second world war ended, The Queen had reached the rank of Junior Commander. These, emphatically, were NOT honorary appointments: the Queen underwent a full training, qualified and then worked in army. She is reputedly proud of her achievements in her army role. There are many anecdotal stories in existence of how the Queen can change car wheels and service car engines. When out in a Land Rover that broke down during a private visit to see some racehorses, Her Majesty was quick to diagnose the problem and what needed to be done etc.

She's not going to take off my head, hilarious, it's my opinion. :) I missed three letters out.

Please can I add a little background information here?

William and Catherine were saluting / bowing to the Centotaph as it is properly known. It is indeed a war memorial and stands in Whitehall, and the Royal Wedding procession of course did pass by it. My parents have always told me that when they were younger, men of their generation ALWAYS removed their hats as a sign of respect WHENEVER they passed the Cenotaph, although this practice has ceased over the last 40 years or so, which is probably why William and Catherine's act of homage stood out. It

The Cenotaph was originally constructed as a memorial to those of the armed forces who lost their lives in the first world war, but is now treated as a memorial to all those who have served in all those wars in which Britain has fought.

Each year, on the second Sunday of November, the UK commemorates those service personnel who lost their lives in all wars fought by the British Army by holding a formal service of Rememberance at the Cenotaph. It is a solemn occasion; the Queen leads the country in the Act of Rememberance by laying the first wreath on the Cenotraph [always seen on tv coverage and then in press coverage] followed by other members of the BRF.

Her Majesty MOST DEFINITELY did complete military training! During the war she joined the Women's branch of the Army, which was then known as the ATS. She joined, not in an honorary capacity, BUT as a serving Subaltern [Lieutenant] and trained as a driver, which included training and working as a mechanic. This was because these were the roles open to women at the time - it was not possible in those days for women to be deployed in battle. By the time the second world war ended, The Queen had reached the rank of Junior Commander. These, emphatically, were NOT honorary appointments: the Queen underwent a full training, qualified and then worked in army. She is reputedly proud of her achievements in her army role. There are many anecdotal stories in existence of how the Queen can change car wheels and service car engines. In recent times, when out in a Land Rover that broke down during a private visit to see some racehorses, Her Majesty was quick to diagnose the problem and what needed to be done etc.

The Queen is entitled to wear the uniforms that she does by virtue of the fact that as Sovereign she is Head of the Armed Forces.

Other members of the BRF hold honorary appointments in all three of the armed services. This is why members of the BRF are seen wearing uniforms on various occasions. The Duchess of Cornwall and the Earl and Countess of Wessex all hold a number of such appointments [as do other members of the BRF]

Hope this helps,
Alex

As always, very informative. Thank you for the information.

Wasn't there at least 2 or 3 times when William saluted and Catherine bowed her head? If the war memorial was one, what were the others?

Thanks to all for the information. I was aware that at least one of William's salutes was at a war memorial. There were several other times he saluted and Catherine bowed her head and I assumed it was to return a salute they received. What I really wondered about is.....did Charles and Diana do the same thing? Perhaps since their procession was from a different church, they may not have passed the same memorials.

All in all, I found it very respectful and certainly elevated the couple in my esteem.

I was impressed with the entire wedding, but I think one of the most touching things for me was when the prayer written by William and Catherine was read. I think it showed that their hearts really are in the right place. To my recollection, neither the Waleses nor the Yorks saluted or bowed during their carriage procession.

All in all, I found it very respectful and certainly elevated the couple in my esteem.

I was impressed with the entire wedding, but I think one of the most touching things for me was when the prayer written by William and Catherine was read. I think it showed that their hearts really are in the right place. To my recollection, neither the Waleses nor the Yorks saluted or bowed during their carriage procession.

I couldn't agree more. It was simple, yet one could tell that the words came from the heart. They have their priorities straight, it would appear.

Wasn't there at least 2 or 3 times when William saluted and Catherine bowed her head? If the war memorial was one, what were the others?

I think it might have been whenever they passed the colours of one of the groups of street liners.

Last edited:
This is probably a really daft question but at the majority of weddings I've attended the wedding cake is served to guests and the top layer often kept for celebrations when the couple's first child is born or to mark their first wedding anniversary, so....

Considering William and Catherine's wedding cake went on display, it could not have been served at the wedding breakfast/reception, right? So, why did they have a wedding cake and what 'role' did it have on the day? I'm assuming there was a 'special' moment to cut it; if so why, especially when the guests were not able to enjoy it? What will happen to all the cake when the display is packed away?

I think it might have been whenever they passed the colours of one of the groups of street liners.
Whilst I agree that Catherine should have bowed her head at the Cenotaph she should not for Colours or Standards. William salutes, she should sit up straight (the sitting version of Attention) as they pass.

We should only bow our heads at Cenotaphs and funeral cortèges. Those in uniform pay compliments.

This is probably a really daft question but at the majority of weddings I've attended the wedding cake is served to guests and the top layer often kept for celebrations when the couple's first child is born or to mark their first wedding anniversary, so....

Considering William and Catherine's wedding cake went on display, it could not have been served at the wedding breakfast/reception, right? So, why did they have a wedding cake and what 'role' did it have on the day? I'm assuming there was a 'special' moment to cut it; if so why, especially when the guests were not able to enjoy it? What will happen to all the cake when the display is packed away?

i thought i read somewhere the cake was served and only one layer is real the rest was a replica. i cant find it now...of course.

when charles and diana were married she gave people a small square in a special keepsake box.

:previous: A replica would make sense. I have just assumed it was the original as the display is reported to bear the cut they made. But perhaps the other layers were served and replicas added to this one for the display. It would make better sense to my mind at least! :lol:

:previous:That's an interesting article. It's amazing how the wedding affected people in so many different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom