Wedding of William & Catherine: Reflections on the Royal Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt a very deep emotion when I saw the two, William and Harry coming out of Clarence House. It reminded me somehow of the two of them walking behind their mmother´s coffin., so many years ago.
I am sure they both remembered her on the wedding day.
I wish she could have been alive to see her son marry.

Wedding - ceremony, speech, music great.
TV coverage ok. when we talk only about the braodcast from the Abbey and ride to the and from the Abbey. Terrible when we talk about the viewpoint
which someone decide to show the World. Compare BRF and others - British is too puffed up, to isolate.
Compare with other royal weddings...

I don't think that Pippa upstaged Catherine. I didn't get that impression. Her dress was beautiful. If she had upstaged her sister, her dress would have been unusual or something that would catch everyone's eye.

As I was watching the wedding and the cameras were going around the room, my eyes were drawn to the headpiece that Beatrice wore whenever they were filming in the general area where she was. Of all the dresses and hats that women wore, hers will probably be the most remembered years from now. At first I really didn't really like the headpiece, but after I saw other pictures of it, I started to like it.

I am not really sure there was anything to NOT like!! I watched everything on BBC and loved the coverage. I heard every word said in the Abbey, unlike some American broadcasts. The music was wonderful, HM was beautiful as was the bride, the hats were hysterical. Harry made my day when he checked to see if the Duchess was coming! It was great. I just hope the rest of William and Catherine's lives together is just as happy and magical and they continue to love and support each other.

I loved the music, even though as a musician I found it well-rooted in the tried and true. Nothing edgy or fashion-forward about it, just like the rest of the wedding. Just fabulous, beautiful, in good taste and FANTASTICALLY performed. I loved seeing the congregation sing so heartily the hymns, especially good ole "Jerusalem." I loved the setting of the "Ubi Caritas" and even the "Crown Imperial" recessional was stirring and appropriate. it was lovely that they included a hymn sung at Diana's funeral and an anthem played at HM the Queen's wedding in 1947. Very thoughtful choices.

I loved the fact that there was a reverent and spiritual feel to the entire occasion.

What a day it was for the U.K. and for all who love and respect her around the world!

Well said. I completely agree and add that John Rutter's setting of "This is the day that the Lord has made" (written for this occasion) was also very beautiful.

The whole event seemed to feature the very best of Great Britain (fashion, hats, flowers, choral music, street parties, overall pomp and ceremony etc., etc.). I particularly loved the personal touches that came through. Many here have mentioned these sorts of things- Kate's dress, the personal connection with the bridesmaids and pages, Kate's bouquet (with Sweet William roses), her earrings with the acorn motif of her family's new crest, James' beautiful reading- I could go on and on. There were many reminders that while this was a royal wedding, the royalty factor did not eclipse the two people whose wedding it was. The prayer of dedication that William and Kate wrote (read by The Bishop of London at the end of his address) asked that they remain grounded and focussed in what is real and truly important in life while being committed to a life of service. While the dress, decorations and everything else was wonderful, I was most impressed by this goal for their marriage.

In both Europe and North America, I have observed many young couples to put all of their attention and energy into planning their wedding; few seem to think very much about the marriage that comes after the wedding. From what we saw on Friday, William and Kate have some clear goals for their marriage and I was really impressed by this. The Bishop of London challenged us all to become supporters of William and Kate's marriage, instead of just spectators. This challenge has made me think about what responsibilities I have in my role as a royal fan. It is interesting to think about.

I don't know why so many people are upset about Pippa's white dress. The reason you aren't supposed to wear white to a wedding is so you don't upstage the bride. However, the bride always either chooses or approves the bridesmaids' dresses, so Kate obviously wanted her sister in white. If Kate didn't care and didn't feel she would be upstaged, then why does it matter to other people?

Well said. People are not explaining their objections properly and fully to the white bridesmaid's dresses. Most British royal brides have chosen white or ivory for their bridesmaids dresses as have a number of overseas royal brides, so I just don't understand why suddenly it's an issue in this case. Try as I might, when I look at the bridal party walking up the aisle, there is absolutely nothing I can see fashionwise, protocol wise, colourwise, tradition-wise or otherwise that could REASONABLY be objectionable. If anyone knows the best colour scheme for their own wedding it would be a British royal bride!

I don't think that Pippa upstaged Catherine. I didn't get that impression. Her dress was beautiful. If she had upstaged her sister, her dress would have been unusual or something that would catch everyone's eye.

As I was watching the wedding and the cameras were going around the room, my eyes were drawn to the headpiece that Beatrice wore whenever they were filming in the general area where she was. Of all the dresses and hats that women wore, hers will probably be the most remembered years from now. At first I really didn't really like the headpiece, but after I saw other pictures of it, I started to like it.

Or the blue unicorn hat. Everytime I was watching something on the wedding they would either diss Beatrice and Eugenie (I don't think too many people like the hat or the oufit or both) and the socialite who wore that blue dress with the blue pointy hat.

I don't think Pippa outshined her sister, it was a nice bridesmaid dress. I wish I had a body like hers.

I did see a few people (on tv) comment that they thought Pippa's sleeves were too short, but I haven't seen anyone in here comment on it. So are they wrong on the sleeve length? (tv people)

Last edited:
What did you like in generally?
watch

I think the only reason people are disliking Pippa being in white/ivory is because of her age. Normally with BRF weddings the attendants are all young so them being in the same colour as the bride is seen as acceptable, or cute even. If Margarita and Louise had been the eldest female attendants no-one would be batting an eyelid.

However it was seen as slightly unusual that Catherine had an adult attendance. No-one has any bad comment on Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones being in ivory at the wedding of Prince Charles and Diana, but that is because she isn't seen as being a full on adult in that wedding. Look back at the wedding of the then Princess Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh - the attendants are older and in white/ivory. It's only a fuss because it's seen as unusual now for a royal wedding to have an adult attendant in white/ivory.

If people read on the traditions of bridesmaids they'll see that the decision to have Pippa in a dress of the same colour as the bride is actually a very traditional one. Traditionally she'd have had a style similar to the bride too. Now that would have set the cat truly amongst the pigeons!!

It was a lovely wedding, but perhaps a bit too solemn. I missed that we did noy hear any speaches. I know they are British, but it lacked a little emotion.
I loved her dress and her fathers proud lokk on his face :)

We watched a different camera feed last night (on Reelz), not the BBC feed. It was great to get a different perspective and I hope they show it again. For one thing, there was a shot from a low angle of Kate coming out of the Abbey and I could finally see the lace on the lower part of her skirt really well.

There was also more of a focus on the people who were in the front row of the main aisle, saw many dresses and outfits I had not seen before and felt I got a much better view of the fashion of the whole event (as opposed to Elton John so many times - he was still featured, but maybe only one or two shots). The up close pictures of the bride and groom singing the hymn were so sweet.

I thought there was so much emotion there, some people looked choked up at trying to sing the hymn and at other points in the service too. We teared up again at the solemn reading by Kate's brother. We believe that this was a very moving and emotional ceremony and that people's faces really reflected that. Kate looked so relieved, really, when it was over and in the Reelz version of the wedding, you can see them chatting happily once in their coach.

Pippa did such a good job managing that train - and so unobtrusively. Maybe the BBC feed had the same shot (from above) of Pippa arranging the train at the altar, but I was just too caught up in the moment to notice. Anyway, that has to be my sixth or seventh viewing of the wedding.

I LOVED the way Catherine calmly got out of the car then took the time to smile and wave to the crowds on one side, then then other side; then as she walked forward with her father she looked over her shoulder and waved one more time.

I also noticed after the balcony kiss when they headed back into the palace she looked back over her shoulder and smiled.

I just think that is so cute of her. She is always aware of the cameras and always smiling for them. I don't think she can take a bad photo. She is extremely photogenic.

I don't know why so many people are upset about Pippa's white dress. The reason you aren't supposed to wear white to a wedding is so you don't upstage the bride. However, the bride always either chooses or approves the bridesmaids' dresses, so Kate obviously wanted her sister in white. If Kate didn't care and didn't feel she would be upstaged, then why does it matter to other people?

I thought the dress was lovely and appropriate too.

But speaking of upstaging...

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but when Pippa gets married do you all think she will ask Catherine to be her Matron of Honor? I just wondered how it would be looked upon. Would it be appropriate? Would Kate be focused on more than the bride in this case?

Just pondering....

Now that the wedding is over,let the baby rumors begin!

Now that the wedding is over,let the baby rumors begin!

I believe they already have. Apparently if Kate is not pregnant in nine years she will be breaking a two hundred year old tradition, Not sure if this is true! :)

HRHduchesskate said:
I believe they already have. Apparently if Kate is not pregnant in nine years she will be breaking a two hundred year old tradition, Not sure if this is true! :)

Nine months, not years

I loved the way Pippa suddenly appeared at the car when Catherine arrived and told her she looked beautiful. Pippa looked stunning too and I thought "how many brides would have the supreme confidence to dress their bridesmaid in an absolutely knockout white dress". Not that it detracted from the bride for one moment but I thought the obvious love between the sisters overwhelmed any other consideration.

I was misty eyed as Pippa took the hands of two sweet little flower girls instead of carrying a bouquet. Yet another new and touching approach to "The Bridal Party". I loved the old fashioned way her father walked her up and down the aisle by hand rather than arm in arm. It was like she was being handled like something precious. When he lifted her veil he had such a tender look on his face.

The music was a triumph and the glorious old 1662 service (sans "obey") deeply moving. So much so that when William and Catherine were taking their vows the atmosphere was one of such close intimacy, it almost seemed like a small family wedding. The world just faded away.

Catherine's curtsy to HM was beautifully executed and the smile on HM's face said it all. When William walked her back down the aisle, again by the hand it was very romantic and very touching.

Thank you for starting a thread up about the "wedding in general," and from a positive perspective. There's been so much talk about titles, tiaras and dresses, surely there needs to be a thread about the wedding in general

Some of my impressions may need to be corrected, but here they are:

The female guests really got into the notion of hats and fascinators (I do not remember quite so many at the last two Royal Weddings I watched). It was amazing to see, and quite entertaining. There was one lady, in her sixties I'd say, in all purple who looked quite stunning. I wish I knew she was. (And not to be too much off topic, but I didn't enjoy the woman in the purple wide brimmed conical hat with the red dress). Most people showed respect or reserve in their choice of headgear - or creativity. I was disappointed in the prime minister's wife.

The chorale music and orchestral music was amazing. What a treasure this is for England, everyone must be so proud. The choirs (combined from two places as I understand it) were amazing and so well-rehearsed. The orchestra was so good, one forgot it was a live performance. The one mistake by the trumpeter as HM entered was not commented upon by the BBC commentators - which was nice, no need to cause a trumpeter to feel badly on television.

The service itself was moving, religious and I believe the young couple really paid attention and felt it. They were getting married, and Prince William looked very much as if he felt the responsibility and the awe of the long linkage such an act is supposed to make. The bride can't seem to look at him in any way except with adoration. That was lovely to see.

Her Majesty, the Queen, looked lovely, although a bit tired and Prince Phillip was nothing short of amazing, in his handsomeness (for such an elderly man). Such bearing.

I enjoyed watching Prince Harry walk up the aisle, with his slightly bandy-legged, almost goofy walk - he is not a charmer, but he is so dear and natural, and a perfect companion to his more self-possessed elder brother.

All those camera views (from BBC, anyway) were amazing, and we felt like we really there. It was very moving, open and elegant. The trees were a great touch. On the whole, it was the greatest ritual of recent memory, and I think we all needed it.

Thank you, Great Britain and Commonwealth, for making this possible.
Except for one, and to me it was one of the more magical moments of the day, which was forever missed by the BBC, and that was when The Duke of Cambridge laid eyes, 1st time on his soon to be bride. They had a faraway shot on that one, and I could have killed the director for missing the closeup on that moment. It would have been so very special to see.

Except for one, and to me it was one of the more magical moments of the day, which was forever missed by the BBC, and that was when The Duke of Cambridge laid eyes, 1st time on his soon to be bride. They had a faraway shot on that one, and I could have killed the director for missing the closeup on that moment. It would have been so very special to see.

YES! Why did he/she/they did that??
I wanted to see THE encounter, but the person operation the whole thing thought that zooming out would be better.!:bang:
But, the way the music was perfectly played when she reached the altar! Almost movie-like.
Maybe they will released a DVD of the wedding with different angles and shoots! I can't get enough of it!

Lots and lots of great moments in the service, but the one that shone out of all was Prince Harry's cheeky look at Kate, and then turning to his brother and smiling and saying, "Wait til you see her"......that was amazing.

YES! Why did he/she/they did that??
I wanted to see THE encounter, but the person operation the whole thing thought that zooming out would be better.!:bang:
But, the way the music was perfectly played when she reached the altar! Almost movie-like.
Maybe they will released a DVD of the wedding with different angles and shoots! I can't get enough of it!
We can only hope, but I suspect that the BBC had all the exclusive copywrite to everything and unless some rouge guest had their phone cam out and shot the "Duke meets bride" moment, we'll never see it, ever. What a shame.

The wedding was beautiful but Im not a fan of british royal weddings.Other royal weddings show emotion and love but when it comes to the british no emotion is allowed.I was hoping Will and Kate would break this rule but I was disappointed.

The wedding was beautiful but Im not a fan of british royal weddings.Other royal weddings show emotion and love but when it comes to the british no emotion is allowed.I was hoping Will and Kate would break this rule but I was disappointed.

It is not a case of not allowed, the British simply do not show their affection in public like others do. They have their own, more subtle way of letting their emotions out.
So yes, if you expect a big "showy" display then you are bound to be disappointed - IMO.

Any service, including the wedding service, in the Church of England (and the US Episcopelian high church) is a somber ceremony. But there certainly were not any lack of emotion. Both the bride and groom showed love and emotions throughout the ceremony.

A beautiful wedding that suited the couple perfectly.

Personally, I am glad that they have that moment to themselves and that the whole world didn't get to see that moment. That will be their little moment for them to remember for the rest of their lives.

Any service, including the wedding service, in the Church of England (and the US Episcopelian high church) is a somber ceremony. But there certainly were not any lack of emotion. Both the bride and groom showed love and emotions throughout the ceremony.

A beautiful wedding that suited the couple perfectly.

I agree. Both of them are very private people, and I think that they were saying a lot to each other when they looked at each other. There are a lot of ways of showing your love and emotions for each other without a word being spoken. I could tell that each of them meant every word of their vows, even if they weren't wearing their hearts on their sleeves for everyone to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom