Wedding of William & Catherine: Reflections on the Royal Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there were two sad moments. One was when Prince William was sitting down at the altar and looked very thoughtful and yes, a little sad.

The other was when the camera focused on the Queen and Prince Phillip during the National Anthem. She tried to stay very still, but there was so much emotion in her face, as if she wanted to cry. It must be a moment filled with so many feelings - living long enough to see her beloved grandson married, taking in what that means, thinking about his future reign - without her, about all the love and heartfelt respect bestowed upon her in that moment - not just by the people in the Abbey but by millions if not billions everywhere.

And while she looked serene (how does she do it??), there was a quiver to her. And Prince Phillip, sitting next to her - singing about her - looked off into the Abbey's wide spaces, also thinking about all their long years together - and how many times he's sung that song, with her at his side.

They didn't look only sad, but there was sadness there.

With Prince William, I think some part of it had to do with his mother, I've never known someone to get married when a parent was deceased who didn't feel real sadness at the wedding. It was during the prayer, I think.

mothers bride and sis too confident in front of camera, we were more interested in catherine not them

I honestly think that Diana would have been the mother-in-law from hell.

And from what I could see, it was the Duke of York who looked sadder than anyone else.

The music was a highlight, and now that I've watched the service at least 5 times, I am still amazed that it was live - the London Symphony Orchestra was simply amazing, so perfect for the occasion. The conductor of the choir(s) also timed everything perfectly - everything anyone could hope for (as though it was filmed again and again until it was perfect - but it was live!)

There was plenty of emotion, but people were serious, inside an Abbey that is also the burial place of so many people, at a life-changing ceremony for two young people. Those of us who are older cannot help but feel serious and very hopeful - yet worried - about the future. One of my daughters, upon seeing the very handsome James Middleton step to do his reading, was taken aback by the sheer seriousness of it - I am not sure she's seen a young man her own age behave in that manner; she participates in local American youth culture, barely watches television, and the young men she knows would have just had a ...twinkle...or some other way of making the event less serious (she also thought Prince Harry's gait coming down the aisle was more modern and "normal" and humorous, but not as filled with decorum as the others in the ceremony).

Anyway, both of my daughters thought the Queen looked solemn (a feeling of solemness) and that Kate looked a bit nervous, but very confident and happy (feelings again).

Just because everyone avoided grinning or sighing or sobbing doesn't mean they weren't feeling a lot - the more I watch it, the more feeling I see in the whole thing. Kate is so happy to know she's doing what she planned and wanted to do, she made the right choices, she knows it - it's on her face.

Prince William's gentleness in soothing his father-in-law and Kate (who, by that time seemed to be vibrating a bit) with his little spot of humor, after first looking into her eyes and telling her she looked beautiful - all of that was so filled with feeling.

I think the feeling is probably best called love.

It was filled with love.

Just because everyone avoided grinning or sighing or sobbing doesn't mean they weren't feeling a lot - the more I watch it, the more feeling I see in the whole thing. Kate is so happy to know she's doing what she planned and wanted to do, she made the right choices, she knows it - it's on her face.
This. Totally the more I watch it the more I realize just how concentrated on the priests words they seemed. And we saw those little looks throughout the ceremony you know the look Wills gives her and then she always immediately smiles back my mom said it perfectly it looks like they have "their own little secret" that's the best way I can describe it and yet I love it cause they don't have to do much but you could just tell even during their official engagements you can just tell how much William is always watching her reassuring her making sure she's okay and that's something I love about these two, they are such a team!

There was so much love and thoughtfulness and caring between these two young people that it was a joy to see.

To often, at least in the US, there is little solemnity in the marriage services and people are busy performing rather than seeming to listen and take note of what is being said. When I think back on the silly behavior of the Sarah Ferguson compared to this lovely service it just makes me shiver.

For me, personally I don't think it was sad. Im sure there were moments that he was thinking of his mother but he did not seem to overcast the day with it. While watching I thought I would feel a overwhelming sadness, but I did not! Just happeness for the two.. until BBCA did a highlights of the wedding... at the end the did a short video of all the shots and they played the song "she" by evis costello . This song always reminded me of Diana it was the only time durning all the coverage that I got choked up.. beyond words..

http://youtu.be/zYOkZWuvg5I
Duchess of Cambridge

http://youtu.be/e8m3vFlk9W8
Diana, Princess of Wales

Last edited:
Hmmmm there is so much, the good, the bad and the ugly.

First the good
*Pagentry that no one does quite like the British.
*BBC coverage, they had cameras everywhere so very little was missed.
*Will & Harry leaving Clarence House and their arrival at the Abbey.
You can see the affection between the two.
*Kates dress and look. Very etheral and lovely, it suited her.
*Pippa meeting her sister, handling the train and young bridesmaids. She appeared to do this with genuine feeling for the occasion and her sister.
*Mr Middleton appeared very proud of his girls.
*Prince Charles, Camilla, The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh meeting in the Abbey.
*The music, wonderful. Love that people sang along with the hymns.
*James Middletons reading, not rushed, clear and with feeling.
*God Save the Queen...stirring and I'm a sap for seeing the Duke of E. sing along.
*Harry!!!!
*William and Kate meeting at the altar and their solemn vows.
*Both Will and Kate looking so relaxed on the carriage ride back.
*William holding Kates hand when they thought no one was watching.
*The crowds enthusiasm for the entire event and their organized march up to Buckingham Palace.
*The balcony scene...all of it. From Kates "Oh wow", two kisses, Prince Charles and Camilla holding up little Eliza, sweet little Grace covering her ears.
*Aston Martin drive back...loved it.
*Video of the vicar(?) doing cartwheels at the Abbey after it went off so well.

The Bad
*BBC coverage in that you know they filmed the arrival of foreign royals but didn't put out the feed. Wish we could go back and see all the un-edited footage.
*Poor horse that fell down and was spooked.
*Commentary by US networks that broke in at odd moments to give out incorrect facts.

The Ugly
*Princess Beatrices hat and eye makeup. From the neck down she was lovely, neck up...a joke.
*Princess Eugenie...dress too tight and those bows, looked like a snausage. Skirt looked wrinkled and the uneven hem didn't help.
The hat...well at least she was next to Bea.

Overall think it was a wonderful wedding and worth getting up before dawn to watch.

Last edited:
For me, personally I don't think it was sad. Im sure there were moments that he was thinking of his mother but he did not seem to overcast the day with it. While watching I thought I would feel a overwhelming sadness, but I did not! Just happeness for the two.. until BBCA did a highlights of the wedding... at the end the did a short video of all the shots and the played the song "she" by evis costello . This song ways reminded me of Diana it was the only time durning all the coverage that I got choked up..
YouTube - she elvis costello w/ lyrics

Exactly what happened to me.I love the song "She" ever since they played it at Concert For Diana I can't listen to it without thinking of her. Heck even though I didn't cry while watching it live (maybe it had to do cause it was 3am and I was a walking talking zombie:lol:) but when I watched NBC's highlights that night and they played some song and it was like "I'm going to marry you every day of my life" or something along those lines then I began to bawl my eyes out

OOh thank you for posting the montages!

Last edited:
It was so lovely, I get made fun of by friends(not my husband, he's the best)because I know so much about European Royalty, thanks to everyone here, but that didn't stop me from waking up up at 4am to watch. Although I was disappointed that we didn't get pictures of the other royals like we did at Victoria's wedding but other then that, I loved it. William was perfect, Catherine(she will always be Kate to me) was beyond perfect, I dont think I have ever seen a real life fairy Princess before Kate, the whole thing, I felt I was watching a private ceremony, two lovely people truly in love with each other. William holding her hand, cracking jokes to relax her&Mr Middleton, Harry just being Harry, who I LOVE, what a great brother he is, to the balcony kisses, to everything. To me it exceeded my expectations!!!

I had three favorite parts

1) Harry sneaking a peek at Kate
2) Kate on the balcony, when she came out like WOW and when she turned to peek once more before going in....
3) When William and Kate were leaving the Abbey and they looked at each other with smiles.like to say ( we did it)

Last edited:
1) Harry sneaking a peek! lol at this :)
2) Pipa holding hands with the little flower girls
3) The arrival of Her Majesty, the Queen. Also the moments inside the Rolls-Royce, when she was waving and saluting the people :) She's so gracious!
4) The Queen making comments on the ceremony to Prince Philip
5) The arrival of Prince William and Prince Harry
6) William being so sweet with Kate at the Wedding Service

I thought there were two sad moments. One was when Prince William was sitting down at the altar and looked very thoughtful and yes, a little sad.

The other was when the camera focused on the Queen and Prince Phillip during the National Anthem. She tried to stay very still, but there was so much emotion in her face, as if she wanted to cry. It must be a moment filled with so many feelings - living long enough to see her beloved grandson married, taking in what that means, thinking about his future reign - without her, about all the love and heartfelt respect bestowed upon her in that moment - not just by the people in the Abbey but by millions if not billions everywhere.

And while she looked serene (how does she do it??), there was a quiver to her. And Prince Phillip, sitting next to her - singing about her - looked off into the Abbey's wide spaces, also thinking about all their long years together - and how many times he's sung that song, with her at his side.

They didn't look only sad, but there was sadness there.

With Prince William, I think some part of it had to do with his mother, I've never known someone to get married when a parent was deceased who didn't feel real sadness at the wedding. It was during the prayer, I think.
I agree - Prince William and The Queen at times were deep in thought, reflecting I guess, that Princess Diana wasn't there - but I am sure she would have been right beside them all throughout their special day - just that we didn't see her, that's all :)

Clearance House of Prince Harry and Prince Willliam exiting from the car I saw with my eyes up. And I know many people said the same thing. Diana would love to get out there and share this happy day. This marriage would have been proud and very much supports.
William and Harry, I'm sure a lot of misses and needs his mother.
I would love to have as soon as Harry is a very good marriage.
I wish, I wish I had Diana lived, and there ...

The staff at Westminster Abbey was excellent, as usual.

The BBC allowed us glimpses from interesting viewpoints.

The Family behaved itself, except for Beatrice who had to make a show of herself.

The Couple who - I hope - will enjoy a "normal" honeymoon and working life.

Clearance House poor Charles ;)

Clearance House poor Charles ;)

Actually I think it pretty darned well sums up the offices of Clarence House.. they do clearance. I LIKE that! :)

That the wedding brings joy and happiness in a year fraught with tragedy.

mothers bride and sis too confident in front of camera, we were more interested in catherine not them

To me it was great that the Middletons didn't seem nervous and/or awkward or shy at all. After all, this wasn't a show put on for us but a family wedding. We were just lucky to be invited to share in the day with them. They carried themselves with grace and dignity to rival any royal that was there IMO.

I think everything went so fine and the whole wedding was a big YES...Bad thing to me: the bridesmaid PIPA in white...that was a big NO... and of course Eugenie and Beatrice outfits and hats...A big NO to them, they were ridiculous and sometimes I think that they need to make the show of herselfs...but we are used to that...!

I think everything went so fine and the whole wedding was a big YES...Bad thing to me: the bridesmaid PIPA in white...that was a big NO... and of course Eugenie and Beatrice outfits and hats...A big NO to them, they were ridiculous and sometimes I think that they need to make the show of herselfs...but we are used to that...!

Having the Maid of Honor and the little bridesmaids in a color so close to the bride's is something I'm still getting used to. I grew up in middle America where the ONLY person that wears white at the wedding is the bride. I've since learned that its not the same the world around. Most times here little children aren't used in a wedding party and if they are its as a flower girl and ring bearer.

The York girls I think have amazingly beautiful faces but what they wear tends to make people not notice that fact. They're young and will find their own mark and style in time I bet.

I loved how happy the whole thing was. So much sweetness and joy. It was the bridesmaids and pageboys that stood out for me, though. So adorable and well behaved.

An article written by Diana's friend, Rosa Monckton, about the wedding:

Royal wedding 2011: Diana's greatest legacy - William married for love | Mail Online

Although the Spencers were there at the wedding and Sir Elton John, I have to wonder why Diana's close friends weren't invited. I suppose it's because the guests were selected by the couple, but some of Diana's close friends were around when William was growing up.

Two articles from the Daily Mail (so take it with a grain of salt) about Lady Annabel Smith, a close friend of Diana being excluded from the wedding:

ROYAL WEDDING: 'Those are not heir-bearing hips are they?' Camilla faces feud with Lady Annabel after Jemima¿s wedding Tweets | Mail Online

ROYAL WEDDING: Will Lady Annabel Goldsmith take revenge for 'snub' by Camilla? | Mail Online

On another note, if Diana were still alive, would Charles have married Camilla? I'm glad everyone has moved on, including her boys, but I wonder if the British public would have accepted a marriage between Charles and Camilla.

I have to wonder why Diana's close friends weren't invited.

Why should they have been? It was her son's wedding. How close have these people been to Prince William over the last 10+ years, does he even know them well? We don't necessarily like all the friends of our parents.

It does tickle me that the maiden name of Kate's mother is ..... Goldsmith. I wonder if by any chance they are related :ROFLMAO:

Anyway Jemima Khan's comments firstly offended Kate,it was not a good word there

I don't know why so many people are upset about Pippa's white dress. The reason you aren't supposed to wear white to a wedding is so you don't upstage the bride. However, the bride always either chooses or approves the bridesmaids' dresses, so Kate obviously wanted her sister in white. If Kate didn't care and didn't feel she would be upstaged, then why does it matter to other people?

I loved the music, even though as a musician I found it well-rooted in the tried and true. Nothing edgy or fashion-forward about it, just like the rest of the wedding. Just fabulous, beautiful, in good taste and FANTASTICALLY performed. I loved seeing the congregation sing so heartily the hymns, especially good ole "Jerusalem." I loved the setting of the "Ubi Caritas" and even the "Crown Imperial" recessional was stirring and appropriate. it was lovely that they included a hymn sung at Diana's funeral and an anthem played at HM the Queen's wedding in 1947. Very thoughtful choices.

I loved the fact that there was a reverent and spiritual feel to the entire occasion.

What a day it was for the U.K. and for all who love and respect her around the world!

An article written by Diana's friend, Rosa Monckton, about the wedding:

Royal wedding 2011: Diana's greatest legacy - William married for love | Mail Online

Although the Spencers were there at the wedding and Sir Elton John, I have to wonder why Diana's close friends weren't invited. I suppose it's because the guests were selected by the couple, but some of Diana's close friends were around when William was growing up.

Two articles from the Daily Mail (so take it with a grain of salt) about Lady Annabel Smith, a close friend of Diana being excluded from the wedding:

ROYAL WEDDING: 'Those are not heir-bearing hips are they?' Camilla faces feud with Lady Annabel after Jemima¿s wedding Tweets | Mail Online

ROYAL WEDDING: Will Lady Annabel Goldsmith take revenge for 'snub' by Camilla? | Mail Online

On another note, if Diana were still alive, would Charles have married Camilla? I'm glad everyone has moved on, including her boys, but I wonder if the British public would have accepted a marriage between Charles and Camilla.

Maybe these "friends" of Diana's weren't invited because they can't stop talking about her to the press.

I believe C & C would have remarried if Diana were alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom