Prince William Named Prince of Wales

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Titles of Prince William

Please use this thread to discuss the titles and styles of Prince William, including the recent Ducal change and any upcoming changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions about British Styles and Titles

Is it correct that now with the death of the Queen the automatic changes in titles are William and Kate becoming Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge and their children Princes of… and Archie and Lili becoming Prince and Princess?

For William becoming Prince of Wales and Edward becoming Duke of Edinburgh we have to wait for the announcement by the new King?

Last edited:
Is it correct that now with the death of the Queen the automatic changes in titles are William and Kate becoming Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Camebridge and their children Princes of… and Archie and Lili becoming Prince and Princess?

For William becoming Prince of Wales and Edward becoming Duke of Edinburgh we have to wait for the announcement by the new King?

They have already changed their Instagram to reflect they are the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge. We don’t know about Lili and Archie.

William and Edward have to wait yes

Is it correct that now with the death of the Queen the automatic changes in titles are William and Kate becoming Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge and their children Princes of… and Archie and Lili becoming Prince and Princess?

I now read that the Rothesay title also automatically goes to William.
Are there other changes?

Yes, and for William at least, I would expect to wait at least a month to hear anything about that. (I have no idea what to expect on Edward, especially with the recent stories about how it might not happen at all.)

I now read that the Rothesay title also automatically goes to William.

Yes, William automatically gets everything except Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.

question on Williams titles

so he inherited "duke of cornwall"....and is styled HRH prince william duke of cornwall and cambridge, will he keep the title of Earl Strerhearn, or just add Duke of Rothesay? when Charles creates him Prince Of Wales...will the cambridge title stay?

so he inherited "duke of cornwall"....and is styled HRH prince william duke of cornwall and cambridge, will he keep the title of Earl Strerhearn, or just add Duke of Rothesay? when Charles creates him Prince Of Wales...will the cambridge title stay?

He'll keep the Duke of Cambridge title. But when he's created Prince of Wales, that one will outrank all others and in principle it'll be the one used.

The succession to the Dukedom of Cornwall was automatic with the Queen's death.

And his children will be now Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis of Wales?

And his children will be now Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis of Wales?

No. They will be “of Cornwall and Cambridge” if I am correct.

huh. I wonder if the kids titles will be "of wales". So William and Catherine would be styled HRH Prince William and Princess Catherine of Wales, duke and duchess of Cornwall.......wonder of they will keep cambridge anyway. and I wonder if charles will let archie and Lily get those titles.

No. They will be “of Cornwall and Cambridge” if I am correct.

For now, yes. It will switch over to “of Wales” once Prince William is created Prince of Wales. It might be nice for him to see his kids using “Wales” as their last name at school just like he did.

I think the children will become "of Wales" when William is invested as the Prince of Wales. I don't know if the kids will use it, or just keep Cambridge as their "casual" school name.

(I could be wrong, but I think the kids use Cambridge as a surname in school. William and Harry used Wales in school. They could be using Mountbatten-Windsor, though both Harry, William and the York Princesses used their father's peerage designation as a surname).

It's too much of a mouthful to keep saying of Cornwall and Cambridge, they should just say of Cornwall until they get the Wales title.

He will keep all his previous titles until he becomes King. The titles are only added up, not subtracted when you get new ones.

That is correct but I believe some wait for the funeral to take the new style upon them.

The dukedoms of Cornwall and Rothesay are automatic. The dukedom of Lancaster as well (for King Charles).

The title Prince of Wales needs to be conferred. And the titles of the late Prince Philip have now merged with the Crown, now the holder of said titles has become King. It is upon the King to create his youngest brother Duke of Edinburgh as a new title aside Earl of Wessex and Forfar, Viscount Severn.

I think the children will become "of Wales" when William is invested as the Prince of Wales. I don't know if the kids will use it, or just keep Cambridge as their "casual" school name.

(I could be wrong, but I think the kids use Cambridge as a surname in school. William and Harry used Wales in school. They could be using Mountbatten-Windsor, though both Harry, William and the York Princesses used their father's peerage designation as a surname).

It's too much of a mouthful to keep saying of Cornwall and Cambridge, they should just say of Cornwall until they get the Wales title.

The children are now formally HRH prince(ss) X of Cornwall and Cambridge but I expect they will keep using 'Cambridge' in their daily lives as they have done so far. There is little reason to change that to either Cornwall and Cambridge or only Cornwall given that that is only a temporary designation.

Once William has been installed as Prince of Wales they will become 'HRH prince(ss) X of Wales' and at that point they can start switching their suriname from 'Cambridge' to 'Wales' as well.

Why Cornwall and Cambridge? Don’t we expect her to be Princess of Wales?

Yes it's expected but it won't be her title until the title is recreated for William, which probably won't happen for a while. This is her correct title currently.

She won't be Princess of Wales until William is conferred that title by his father.

They are automatically Cornwall, then it is expected that Charles will make William the Prince of Wales.

I thought William and Catherine would be title Prince and Princess of Wales
Did anything change?

They will, but it's not automatic. The King has to invest the title to William.

Yes it's expected but it won't be her title until the title is recreated for William, which probably won't happen for a while. This is her correct title currently.

Looking through Wikipedia, prior to Prince Charles, most heir apparents waited no longer than a few months to be conferred the title "Prince of Wales". I'm expecting King Charles to confer the title of Prince of Wales to William sooner rather than later after his ascension

The list of previous Princes of Wales can be seen here: List of Princes of Wales

Looking through Wikipedia, prior to Prince Charles, most heir apparents waited no longer than a few months to be conferred the title "Prince of Wales". I'm expecting King Charles to confer the title of Prince of Wales to William sooner rather than later after his ascension

The list of previous Princes of Wales can be seen here: List of Princes of Wales

Oh I agree, I think it will happen quite quickly, maybe a month or so after the funeral.

The Cambridges will become Prince and Princess of Wales, I'm sure. I wonder if there'll be one of those investitures in Wales as there were for Prince Charles and the Duke of Windsor.

We don't know IF William will be created as Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester. Those titles aren't automatic unlike the other long list of titles that he now holds:

Duke of Cornwall
Duke of Rothesay
Duke of Cambridge*
Earl of Carrick
Earl of Strathearn*
Baron Renfrew
Baron Carrickfergus*
Lord of the Isles
Prince and Great Steward of Scotland

He will keep all of those titles until he is King when those with an asterisk will 'merge with the Crown' just as Edinburgh, Merioneth and Greenwich have now done and the non-asterisked titles will pass to George.

Whether there will be an investiture in Wales we will have to wait and see. Both Edward VIII and Charles III were young men when invested while William is a middle-aged man. There was no investiture prior to 1911 e.g. George V wasn't invested in 1901/2 when he was made Prince of Wales aged 36. Neither George IV nor Edward VII were invested and they were created Prince of Wales as babies.

There is no need for such a ceremony. All that is needed is for Charles III to issue the necessary Letters Patent to create his son as Prince of Wales and he could do that today, tomorrow, next week or whenever he pleases but I do expect that William will go to the coronation as The Prince of Wales and swear homage to the King at that time using that title.

huh. I wonder if the kids titles will be "of wales". So William and Catherine would be styled HRH Prince William and Princess Catherine of Wales, duke and duchess of Cornwall.......wonder of they will keep cambridge anyway. and I wonder if charles will let archie and Lily get those titles.

no, htey will be Prince and Princess of Wales. Their children will be Of Wales.. when Will is made Prince of Wales

:previous:

100% correct indeed. It is "simply" a difference between The Prince and a prince(ss).

HRH The Prince of Wales (no first name)
HRH The Princess of Wales (no first name)
HRH Prince George of Wales
HRH Princess Charlotte of Wales
HRH Prince Louis of Wales

Last edited:
So in 10-20+ years, when Prince George gets married, he and his newly wedded wife will get a completely new title?
They will not be the next Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?

Back
Top Bottom