The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading that the Christmas carol service at Westminster Abbey was recorded and will be broadcast on Christmas Eve.

The service will be broadcast in the UK on ITV at 7.30 pm on Christmas Eve.

Good to see so many that were vital workers and volunteers during the pandemic being honored and celebrated tonight.

The arrival of Prince William and Catherine

Last edited:
Nice to see so many of the family out for it.
Yes I've seen photos of Sophie, Beatrice, Edo, Eugenie, Zara and Mike there tonight in addition to the Middleton family too. It's wonderful to see so many of them present to support and honor those who worked tirelessly during the pandemic.

Short video of the family hugging and greeting each other tonight. ? As I recall nearly every member of the BRF did some sort of volunteer work during the lock down especially Sophie and Eugenie. (Please let me know if I missed someone. )

The arrival of Prince William and Catherine at the Christmas Concert was very well planned with the young people awaiting the Royals.

Last edited:
You can hear Princess Beatrice say “Hi William!” Or am I just making that up?

Short video of the family hugging and greeting each other tonight. ? As I recall nearly every member of the BRF did some sort of volunteer work during the lock down especially Sophie and Eugenie. (Please let me know if I missed someone. )

I know William's accent is supposed to be posh but I can barely make one word out of three when listening to posh... I got the drift but that was about it.

I've been following William for a the last 6 o 5 years and I don't know whether I have become accustomed to his accent, but it sounds to me as if his public speaking skills have improved. I can understand him a lot better now (I am not a native speaker nor I live in an English speaking country). He may be taking classes too?! It wouldn't surprise me.

Will the Carol service be streamed as well (or made available online afterwards)?

Ok I wasn’t going to watch before, but definitely will now. I had no idea she was musically inclined at all.

Well, there's footage of 11 year old Catherine singing in a school production of My Fair Lady.

Wouldn't it be lovely if she played and sang during this carol ?

Last edited:
Very beautiful performance. She is special woman and Prince William is a lucky guy.

That was a big surprise, and a lovely one at that. Emotional to watch. The Duchess is very talented.

It doesn't happen too often but this is one of those times that I really, really wish I could play the video and hear it. I'm going to take all your words for it that she did a marvelous performance.

The more we get to know of of Catherine and get to know her more and more over the years along with William, the more I realize that this is a couple that has their heads screwed on the right way, have their priorities in order, have the "right stuff" for what it takes to represent people to be leaders and eventually monarch and consort. They both also have that inherent trait that Granny has which has made them realize that blowing their own horn as far as their abilities and talents tends to give you an empty audience. :D

She's very good, and she's clearly had the training in her public life by now to include being able to do this (William is nervous about singing with other people, by comparison).

Diana was also a wonderful piano player.

The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

Wow. I had no idea Catherine was musically inclined. How lovely that she wanted to participate and share her gift in this way. She’s very talented. Lovely performance.

Last edited:
Catherine has her head screwed on right. William, not always so sure.

It doesn't happen too often but this is one of those times that I really, really wish I could play the video and hear it. I'm going to take all your words for it that she did a marvelous performance.

The more we get to know of of Catherine and get to know her more and more over the years along with William, the more I realize that this is a couple that has their heads screwed on the right way, have their priorities in order, have the "right stuff" for what it takes to represent people to be leaders and eventually monarch and consort. They both also have that inherent trait that Granny has which has made them realize that blowing their own horn as far as their abilities and talents tends to give you an empty audience. :D

Catherine *is* good. Does anyone remember her being musically inclined? That's the first time I ever heard about it, let alone *it*.

What a nice surprise!

The piece she was playing didn't seem that complicated but the added pressure of being the Duchess of Cambridge who is going to play the piano on national television must be quite heavy. So, very well done!

The piece she was playing didn't seem that complicated but the added pressure of being the Duchess of Cambridge who is going to play the piano on national television must be quite heavy. So, very well done!

Absolutely, it wasn't in the same vein as Diana playing Rachmaninoff but it was still brave of her to do that in front of the World, especially as she isn't known as a pianist. It was very nice and I enjoyed the whole service immensely. Christmas is magical when it is done traditionally and the only two bits that spoiled it for me were Leona Lewis and Ellie Goulding singing in that dreadful drawn out fashion. I don't know one person who enjoys songs being strangled like that and yet many modern singers insist on doing it.

Last edited:

(...)

Try this one, Osipi. It's a beautiful song.

Catherine *is* good. Does anyone remember her being musically inclined? That's the first time I ever heard about it, let alone *it*.

What a nice surprise!

The Telegraph mentions that they interviewed her piano teacher in 2011, but I'm also only aware that she knows how to play. Apparently she also plays(ed?) flute as well.

Duchess of Cambridge steps into limelight to show off piano skills revitalised during the pandemic

(...)

The Duchess and Mr Walker recorded the song in the Chapter House at Westminster Abbey a day before a carol service for 1,200 guests chosen for their contribution to their communities and country.

Finished in a “few takes” after an hour and a half of “very secret” socially-distanced rehearsal in London, the song was broadcast on ITV on Friday night amid twinkling Christmas lights and candles in a poignant service.

Walker said she had “gone to town” practising at home, playing along with a backing track, adding: “She really invested a lot of time and energy into getting it right and making sure that it was good, so I was really impressed – great musician.”

(...)

The young Kate Middleton learned piano as a child alongside her siblings. She is said to have reached grade five in music theory before going on to play the flute and perform with her school choir.

In an interview at the time of her wedding to Prince William in 2011, Daniel Nicholls, who taught her piano between the age of 11 and 13, conceded: “I don't think she was ever going to be a concert pianist.”

(...)

More about this collaboration in the Mirror. The article mentions that she had several secret practices with Tom Walker, so seems like there's a lot happen behind the scene which weren't shown in the CC.

Inside 'nervous' Kate Middleton's top-secret rehearsals before moving piano display

(...)

The pair sat on opposite sides of the room during the "very secret" practice session when Kate played the song around nine times and "nailed it", according to the musician.

He added: "She was just so nice. I think the first rehearsal we did she was quite nervous because she hadn’t played with another musician in a very long time.

"She’s got a piano at home but the one that we’d rented in for the day was going to be the same one we were using for the actual service.

"It was completely different to hers, so she was trying to get the feel for that.

(...)

Last edited:

:previous: You said it so well!! My thoughts are exactly that about this couple. They are very grounded and understand their royal roles very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom