The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2020, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
Does anyone know if she trained to speak like this to sound more upperclass or is this the dialect from her homearea? Did she adapt to speak like this?
Her speech is standard RP (received pronunciation), which is devoid of any regional variations (although its roots are in southern England). It sounds more upper class than Harry or William because she has excellent diction, pronouncing all the appropriate sounds & letters whereas they speak more casually & drop sounds/letters. She may have had diction lessons as a child (we had them at my school).

Edited to add that I think the work she's doing on early years is outstanding. I'm so impressed by her.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Early on there were comments made about her accent being affected as opposed to her normal way of speaking. I think it's just likely part of who she is and where she went to school. It is a different type of accent than William/Harry use ..at least to my ear. Likely again due to school environment.

LaRae
Yeah. About a decade ago, I once read that someone described her as having a Marlborough College accent, apparently this person was familiar with their alumni. I didn't really get what that meant because I thought all posh people must sound similar, then the engagement interview happened and other people mentioned Marlborough. It made me wonder if there's a certain Eton accent/phraseology that William and Harry have.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 PM
Courtier

It's making me sad that in light of that wonderful podcast, where Catherine shared her personal experience, her vast knowledge on the subject of child development and gave us a glimpse into her "normal" life as a mum people are - once again - accusing her of trying to sound more posh. It's a pretty bog-standard english accent, come on.

As far as the podcast goes, it was wonderful. She knows what she wants to say, she's very appropriate while, at the same time, being personable and warm. And she clearly knows what she's talking about, she did her homework and then some. I loved the way she talked, though she had a few moments when she sounded very nervous - completely unnecessary, she came across as a very inteligent, put together, and honestly, very down-to-earth person. Not to mention publishing that photo of Princess Charlotte was a great idea.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The picture that Catherine was talking about in the podcast has been released by Kensington Palace. Taken at Anmer Hall last year, Princess Charlotte smelling a bluebell.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ2eiRBW...jpg&name=large
Old 02-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing that impresses me is that with things like Catherine's recent involvement with the podcast, she isn't just a royal patron that is doing an engagement to benefit her incentives but she's actually "get down and get dirty" kind of involved in what she's doing. Not only does she do her homework and prepare for the engagement but she also puts her heart and her soul into something she adamantly believes in.

I would actually call her patronizing causes such like this a misnomer, I would deem her more along the lines of sharing in the cause to strengthen it.

I cannot comment whatsoever on Catherine's accent of speech as closed captioning doesn't come with accents.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:45 PM
Courtier

This was absolutely lovely in every way. While I've always liked Catherine, I find myself more and more impressed by her every day as of late. It's quite clear that were she not in the position she's in, she might very well be in a position working with young children and doing it very, very successfully. I really think her work has the potential to be incredibly impactful for a very long time and I really hope we'll get to see more things like this podcast over time. She really did hit it out of the park with this one and that picture of Charlotte? So incredibly sweet!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
This was absolutely lovely in every way. While I've always liked Catherine, I find myself more and more impressed by her every day as of late. It's quite clear that were she not in the position she's in, she might very well be in a position working with young children and doing it very, very successfully. I really think her work has the potential to be incredibly impactful for a very long time and I really hope we'll get to see more things like this podcast over time. She really did hit it out of the park with this one and that picture of Charlotte? So incredibly sweet!
I adore Kate. She’s kind, warm, down to earth, hardworking and compassionate. Many young girls get caught up in the whole princess thing, but that’s never been me, mostly because I’ve never been a girly girl. Kate is the only princess I’ve ever latched onto - she’s just incredibly easy to root for.

The photo of Charlotte almost delicately holding the blue bell is beautiful
Old 02-15-2020, 10:27 PM
Nobility

I absolutely adore Catherine. She is very authentic and what a beautiful journey of her growth and early year initiative.

She brings so much passion to her work!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post

ICAM. I’ve always liked Catherine, been impressed by her. (Early example: how she handled those horrible nude photos.) She really seems to be coming into her own work wise, with the pod cast being another example. It was really interesting hearing her talk so personally. I think this is an area where she can have a huge long term impact .

She comes across as down to earth, caring, compassionate, personable, well informed and hard working in her chosen projects. The holocaust photos was another project that she really did an amazing job with.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I too have always admired Catherine and think she's very natural and approachable. I like that she often shares little snippets of her family life such as the content she revealed on the podcast. Even though she is a member of arguably the world's most famous royal family, Catherine still manages to feel relatable and "normal" as a person. And I loved that they included the photo of Charlotte sniffing the bluebell - that was a lovely touch!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-18-2020, 10:23 AM
Nobility

I loved the podcast!! Many American programs discussed this over the weekend including CNN. I am very happy she is getting recognition for her work on Early Years.

She is so relatable!! I am not a mother, but I enjoyed listening to this. And I can listen to Catherine talk for hours, she is very down to earth and insightful.

On a separate note, I think they should be a separate thread for The Duchess work on Early Years. They will probably be enough events and news related to it separately from other work. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have arrived for a screening of Dear Evan Hansen at the Noel Coward Theatre:

https://twitter.com/daniellestacey1/...210596866?s=20
Old 02-25-2020, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Here are two galleries of tonight's attendance:

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** dm article: Kate Middleton looks chic in a black Eponine tweed dress and her recycled £525 silver Jimmy Choos ..**

Old 02-25-2020, 07:11 PM
Nobility

God, those cameras flashing, I don’t envy their position.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this afternoon held an Early Years’ Meeting
Old 03-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

CC Monday: The Duke of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this afternoon received Ms Christiana Figueres (formerly Executive Secretary, UN Framework Convention on Climate Change).
Old 03-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 10th March:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this morning received winners of the Step Into Health Awards.

His Royal Highness, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this afternoon received Mr Jason Knauf (Chief Executive).

The Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this morning held an Early Years Meeting.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 11th March:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this afternoon held a Meeting for the Earthshot Prize.

His Royal Highness, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, afterwards received Ms Olivia Garfield (Chief Executive Officer, Severn Trent).
Old 04-08-2020, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 8th April:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Cambridge and The Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patrons, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, afterwards held a mental health Meeting via video link.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The Cambridges are supporting a new mental health initiative.

Quote:
William and Kate are throwing their weight behind a new mental health platform providing round-the-clock support to those working on the coronavirus frontlines. The Duke of Cambridge said in a statement that supporting the platform, which is called Our Frontline, will be the couple’s “top priority for the months ahead.”

William and Kate’s royal foundation is formally backing the service, which is a collaboration between charities Mind, Samaritans, Shout, and Hospice UK. It provides a combination of 1-to-1 support and online resources for NHS workers, carers, the Blue Light emergency services, and key workers whose mental health may be under pressure at this time.

Source