The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Cambridge will be reading the book „The Owl who was afraid of the dark“ by Jill Tomlinson on CBeebies’ Bedtime Story’s to mark Children’s Mental Health Week.

The Duchess of Cambridge‘s CBeebies Bedtime Story will air at 6.50pm, February 13 on CBeebies.

** whattowatch: The Duchess Of Cambridge to read a bedtime story on TV for Children's Mental Health Week **

A sneak preview of the Duchess of Cambridge’s Bedtime Story episode for CBeebies

Just checked it out on iplayer. It was sweet and Kate clearly enjoyed reading it. I remember Plop the Owl as a kid.

Do we know what the schedule for the trip to Copenhagen is?

The Duchess of Cambridge was welcomed by the UK Ambassador to Denmark at the airport of Copenhagen this afternoon:

** Pic **

And first visited the Copenhagen Infant Mental Health Project of the University of Copenhagen.

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery ** dailymail article **

** BB article: Nu er hertuginden i København: Kate ankommer med stil til særlig adresse **

** gettyimages: DNK: The Duchess of Cambridge and The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood Visit Denmark - Day One **

Last edited:
BT is running a live coverage with photos Q&A and videos:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/live-for-foerste-gang-i-ti-aar-hertuginde-kate-paa-besoeg-i-danmark
Continuously updated.

She's late. About 35 minutes or so.

BT is again pointing out that the press has been told not to ask about Andrew.
British journalists would like to ask into QEII's health, in regards to her having Corona.

Large security presence.

Kate is going solo so far.

- I understood that Mary was to host a lunch, but that sure would be a late one! So I guess that's for tomorrow?

BB also has a few articles, but no Mary around.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige

No coverage on the two main channels TV2 and DR1.
The dominant news here is Ukraine and domestic politics.

BT is running a live coverage with photos Q&A and videos:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/live-for-foerste-gang-i-ti-aar-hertuginde-kate-paa-besoeg-i-danmark
Continuously updated.

She's late. About 35 minutes or so.

BT is again pointing out that the press has been told not to ask about Andrew.
British journalists would like to ask into QEII's health, in regards to her having Corona.

Large security presence.

Kate is going solo so far.

- I understood that Mary was to host a lunch, but that sure would be a late one! So I guess that's for tomorrow?

BB also has a few articles, but no Mary around.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige

No coverage on the two main channels TV2 and DR1.
The dominant news here is Ukraine and domestic politics.

The being received by QMII and the lunch with CP Mary and going to a crisis center is tomorrow. Let's hope she is not late tomorrow. Sorry, I find being 35 minutes late incredibly unprofessional and rude to your hosts.

:previous: As I've understood it, her (commercial) plane was delayed. Not really something Kate would've been able to do anything about.

The being received by QMII and the lunch with CP Mary and going to a crisis center is tomorrow. Let's hope she is not late tomorrow. Sorry, I find being 35 minutes late incredibly unprofessional and rude to your hosts.

I am sure that it was not her fault. After all she is being "taken" to places not driving herself or flying the plane. Catherine is known for being very punctual and keeping to a strict prearranged schedule. JMO

Sorry, I find being 35 minutes late incredibly unprofessional and rude to your hosts.

Perhaps. But if you are late becuase of a delayed flight, there is little you can do.

Perhaps. But if you are late becuase of a delayed flight, there is little you can do.
If the Duchess flew BA, then there was a delay of about 35 minutes. BT brought it up in their coverage. These things happen. I'm sure her office let the hosts know.

Having glanced at some coverage. Mainly BT and BB.

Kate is wearing earrings by Maria Black.

The press has not been able to get close enough to ask questions, so that issue hasn't come up.

According to the Danish press, the British press focus on the friendship between Kate and Mary - in light of the two of them sharing the same focus on the welfare of children and also the well being of women in developing countries.

- I think that's slightly exaggerated. It's not my impressions that Mary and Kate are personal friends.
By all means they could perhaps become friends and/or work together on future projects but we are not there yet.

Tomorrow Kate will drop by QMII to say hi, as the protocol dictates. Ad also meet Mary.
Mary and Kate will then have a private lunch together before going out on a job together, prior to Kate returning home.

There has been no mentioning of where Kate spends the night. Presumably at a hotel.

I guess the only way to avoid a delayed flight making you late is to take a private jet and then the media would have gone to town on her perceived "excess".
In reality she could have taken a much earlier flight or flown in the night before, but she has young children and no doubt wanted to make the most of time with them rather than flying in a night early just in case her flight was late.

I like the format of these working visits, it ties in well with the causes she is supporting and also the foreign relations of the UK.

And the duchess having a little fun in Denmark ;)

Now that's how you make an entrance!!

! I love that she wore Danish red as a not to her host country. Very diplomatic!

I like the idea of her solo trips. You really get to see what an asset to the monarchy she really is!

Last edited:
Absolutely! Why are posters suggesting she has been unprofessional and rude??

Probably because, at the time that suggestion was made, no posters had mentioned a flight delay. Nor do I see it mentioned in the liveblog that Muhler posted. Where do posters have that information from?

I am sure that it was not her fault. After all she is being "taken" to places not driving herself or flying the plane. Catherine is known for being very punctual and keeping to a strict prearranged schedule. JMO

Question-Are outbound flights in the UK still affected by the weather from this weekend's storms?

Probably because, at the time that suggestion was made, no posters had mentioned a flight delay. Nor do I see it mentioned in the liveblog that Muhler posted. Where do posters have that information from?

From the liveblog Muhler posted. The 15:11 entry: "I've been told that Kate flies British Airways when on work-related visits like this (...) A British Airways aircraft has just touched down in Copenhagen Airport with a delay. Presumably the Duchess's aircraft".

Alternatively you can wonder why one would automatically assume her delay was due to tardiness sooner than a hold-up with the transportation.

ETA: And here's the BA flight. As you can see, scheduled to arrive at 14:15 but touched down at 14:40. Left Heathrow an hour later than expected.

Last edited:
From the liveblog Muhler posted. The 15:11 entry: "I've been told that Kate flies British Airways when on work-related visits like this (...) A British Airways aircraft has just touched down in Copenhagen Airport with a delay. Presumably the Duchess's aircraft".

Thank you. I stand corrected. The quick mention was easy to miss, and I would assume that was also the case for some earlier posters (and others may have not read the liveblog itself as Muhler kindly summarized the highlights).

Last edited:
I doubt they're going to have another one but this is quite cute:

On the first day of her solo royal tour in Denmark on Tuesday, Kate met with parents and their babies during a visit to the University of Copenhagen. She was on-hand to learn from world-leading researchers running the Copenhagen Infant Mental Health Project, which aims to promote the mental wellbeing of and relationships between infants and their parents.

Kate, who is mom to Prince George, 8, Princess Charlotte, 6, and Prince Louis, 3, has made early childhood development one of the key causes in her royal work. And constantly being around babies has become an occupational hazard!

"It makes me very broody," Kate admitted during the outing. "William always worries about me meeting under one-year-olds. I come home saying, 'Let's have another one.' "

https://people.com/royals/kate-midd...ody-i-come-home-saying-lets-have-another-one/

A first article of day 2:

** dm article: Back to nature! Kate Middleton dons her country casual in Copenhagen as she..**

After a meeting with Queen Margrethe and Crown Princess Mary and a lunch with Crown Princess Mary at the Palace, see here,

the Duchess of Cambridge and Crown Princess Mary visited a shelter for women and children who have been exposed to domestic violence, the shelter is supported by the Mary Foundation:

** gettyimages gallery ** tt.se gallery **

** BB video: Håret hvirvlede rundt: Mary og Kate kæmpede sig frem i strid blæst **

** BB article: Wow, så elegante! Mary og Kate matchede hinanden i chikke frakker **

Last edited:
Short video of Catherine's visit to the outdoor kindergarten.

:previous: The Danner foundation is the oldest crisis center for women in DK, indeed it's among the oldest in the world.

Thanks.

The BT perspective is interesting.
I'll go through the tidbits, because there really aren't that many.

Kate was indeed late yesterday due to her flight being delayed. She was however also 10 minutes late for the event today. A visit to a forest kindergarten. The kindergarten is also a transfer-kindergarten, for a lack of a better translation. It means that children from inner city families, who often have social issues are shuttled to an open air kindergarten, in order for them to get a tan, fresh air and a change of scenery - rather than just being surrounded by bricks and concrete. It's akin to what in the old days was a summer camp for children from poor inner city families. Here on a daily basis.
BT writes that forest kindergartens are not know in UK.
A forest kindergarten is an all day open air kindergarten, with a toilet and a shelter, in case of heavy rain. The children are outside all day regardless of the weather. The light campfires and play in the forest with a minimum of toys or they build toys themselves with tools.
The concept has been very popular here in DK. It's dirty and red-cheeked children you take home at the end of the day. And after their bath and dinner, they tend to drop on the spot. Sound asleep.
Research has shown that children in forest kindergartens tend to be more healthy and suffer less from the common cold than children in ordinary kindergartens. And despite using knives, axes, hammers and what not accidents are uncommon.

So that was what Kate saw.

Some of those who asked questions to the live blog on BT appears to be British.

It is not known where Kate spend the night. It could be a hotel or the embassy.

Then it was off to pay her respect to QMII - being an official representative of QEII on a working visit to DK. Which according to the protocol, means that you drop by the head of state to say hi.

Mary and Kate then strolled across the square for a pretty quick lunch. No more than 45 minutes in total - max.

Mary ad Kate then left for Danner foundation, which is very much about the issues women face, in particular domestic abuse.

BT writes that quite a number of the British journalists followed Kate to DK, mainly to ask her about the condition of QEII. But no such opportunity presented itself. Kate did not answer any questions during this visit.
In fact most actually left DK before this the final agenda of Kate's schedule. Ostensibly and somewhat ghoulish to be ready back in UK, in case QEII's condition worsen...

The whole show was organized by the British embassy.

----------------

A couple of things:
What does the British press write about the purpose of Kate's visit?
Why did she go? What did she see? What did she learn? What if anything did she bring back?
Is there anything hard factual about this visit?

My impression is that there is a lot of photos in the British press showing Kate smiling, walking, waving, getting flowers, sliding down something - in high heels...

It sure is a very different approach from certainly the Scandinavian royals.
There you get lots of photos too, and info about what they wear and cute flower children. But there is also a lot of hard facts about the purpose of whatever event, with background info.
And it's a certain as amen heard in the church, that the royals talk about what they have seen, often conveying a message as well.

What is Kate's opinion/stance on these issues and concepts? What are her impressions? - That's something I would like to know. Would she put one of her own children in forest kindergarten, if she had the opportunity?
How does she compare Danish crisis centers to British? What is done differently? What if anything can be implemented in the UK? What would she like to put particular focus on? Domestic abuse? Social isolation? Helping women to establish and find a new life on their own? The number of women being killed by their spouse and what to do about it?
You get my point? I'm not falling down from my chair in awe over seeing photos of Kate visiting a kindergarten or crisis center - wearing outfits from whatever.
Where is the meat on this story?

:previous: The Danner foundation is the oldest crisis center for women in DK, indeed it's among the oldest in the world.

Thanks.

The BT perspective is interesting.
I'll go through the tidbits, because there really aren't that many.

Kate was indeed late yesterday due to her flight being delayed. She was however also 10 minutes late for the event today. A visit to a forest kindergarten. The kindergarten is also a transfer-kindergarten, for a lack of a better translation. It means that children from inner city families, who often have social issues are shuttled to an open air kindergarten, in order for them to get a tan, fresh air and a change of scenery - rather than just being surrounded by bricks and concrete. It's akin to what in the old days was a summer camp for children from poor inner city families. Here on a daily basis.
BT writes that forest kindergartens are not know in UK.
A forest kindergarten is an all day open air kindergarten, with a toilet and a shelter, in case of heavy rain. The children are outside all day regardless of the weather. The light campfires and play in the forest with a minimum of toys or they build toys themselves with tools.
The concept has been very popular here in DK. It's dirty and red-cheeked children you take home at the end of the day. And after their bath and dinner, they tend to drop on the spot. Sound asleep.
Research has shown that children in forest kindergartens tend to be more healthy and suffer less from the common cold than children in ordinary kindergartens. And despite using knives, axes, hammers and what not accidents are uncommon.

So that was what Kate saw.

Some of those who asked questions to the live blog on BT appears to be British.

It is not known where Kate spend the night. It could be a hotel or the embassy.

Then it was off to pay her respect to QMII - being an official representative of QEII on a working visit to DK. Which according to the protocol, means that you drop by the head of state to say hi.

Mary and Kate then strolled across the square for a pretty quick lunch. No more than 45 minutes in total - max.

Mary ad Kate then left for Danner foundation, which is very much about the issues women face, in particular domestic abuse.

BT writes that quite a number of the British journalists followed Kate to DK, mainly to ask her about the condition of QEII. But no such opportunity presented itself. Kate did not answer any questions during this visit.
In fact most actually left DK before this the final agenda of Kate's schedule. Ostensibly and somewhat ghoulish to be ready back in UK, in case QEII's condition worsen...

The whole show was organized by the British embassy.

----------------

A couple of things:
What does the British press write about the purpose of Kate's visit?
Why did she go? What did she see? What did she learn? What if anything did she bring back?
Is there anything hard factual about this visit?

My impression is that there is a lot of photos in the British press showing Kate smiling, walking, waving, getting flowers, sliding down something - in high heels...

It sure is a very different approach from certainly the Scandinavian royals.
There you get lots of photos too, and info about what they wear and cute flower children. But there is also a lot of hard facts about the purpose of whatever event, with background info.
And it's a certain as amen heard in the church, that the royals talk about what they have seen, often conveying a message as well.

What is Kate's opinion/stance on these issues and concepts? What are her impressions? - That's something I would like to know. Would she put one of her own children in forest kindergarten, if she had the opportunity?
How does she compare Danish crisis centers to British? What is done differently? What if anything can be implemented in the UK? What would she like to put particular focus on? Domestic abuse? Social isolation? Helping women to establish and find a new life on their own? The number of women being killed by their spouse and what to do about it?
You get my point? I'm not falling down from my chair in awe over seeing photos of Kate visiting a kindergarten or crisis center - wearing outfits from whatever.
Where is the meat on this story?

All very valid questions after these last 2 days which deserve some answers. She did not answer one single question from the press...Hell, I don't think the press was allowed anywhere near to even ask a question. Not even CP Mary talked to the press which stick out since she always takes 1 or 2 questions. Was it only British press inside the events?

All that was posted was some packaged/produced montage videos set to music.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/1496135312099192832?s=20&t=tZ3FodL7mNRb3ksFwNpsgg

Make of these what you will as they really don't show much. It was PR photo op.

Interesting Muhler, thank you.

To me it seemed a standard (and successful) short trip abroad and the UK press has written about it as such, despite being overshadowed by HMTQs health and Ukraine. It was pretty much in the same vein as William's trip to the UAE which has also been considered a success and was done both at the behest of the government and his own Earthshot promotion. Both are obviously different to the Danish way of doing things. The press says it's partly a working/fact finding trip and to officially congratulate QMII on her Jubilee.

The BRF typically uses their accompanying journalists to inform the public of the details of the visit, including more details on what Kate said and thought and why she went and who exactly everyone was, like this Telegraph article:

https://archive.ph/Gf5Rg

If she held an actual press conference or answered a lot of questions directly to camera it would probably be considered that she was trying to hog the limelight in the UK, rather than give "meat" to her visit. Perhaps it's a case of different cultural attitudes, I don't know. I also would have liked to hear more of her opinion but I'm not surprised that we didn't get that much.

We did get this snippet from their instagram page about her thoughts:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaS4IzAgKAQ/

It is highly possible that she will give a speech that includes the concepts she saw in action here, at a later date with her Early Years Centre but it would have been unusual to hear one at this point. She probably listened more than anything.

We know she has put a lot of prep in for this visit because the CC has been listing her as on conference calls and zooms about it for weeks so most of the actual learning about the concepts and science behind the world class Danish childcare and educational systems had already been done.

The actual visit is a lot to do with PR and publicity for *both* countries as well as soft diplomacy - which doesn't seem to have worked with BT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom