The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a really beautiful song. When I first saw that she was participating I wasn't sure how it was going to come across but I think it worked well with 80% of the focus on Tom Walker and the atmosphere of the Chapter House full of candles. We learn a little more about her without her having to say anything or even be the main event, technically speaking.

Baring a couple of moments the whole service was really good.

The song was beautiful and set very well with the candles in the Abbey! I’m sure it was very emotional for all those present for many different reasons personal to them. Tom Walker has said the song was for his granda, I’m sure William and the rest of the royal family were thinking of Prince Philip. It made me tear up thinking of my own much loved grandfather who passed in October and isn’t with us this Christmas!

Kate did a fantastic job, not easy to do such a thing for a television broadcast!

What a lovely surprise to hear her play. Such a personal thing to offer knowing full well that every aspect of her playing would be analysed and also compared to Diana. There was no prior heralding that she would play, which I also admire. I think the Duchess is a very thoughtful person and we are so fortunate to have her as our future Queen.

The piece she was playing didn't seem that complicated but the added pressure of being the Duchess of Cambridge who is going to play the piano on national television must be quite heavy. So, very well done!

Absolutely, it wasn't in the same vein as Diana playing Rachmaninoff but it was still brave of her to do that in front of the World, especially as she isn't known as a pianist. It was very nice and I enjoyed the whole service immensely. Christmas is magical when it is done traditionally and the only two bits that spoiled it for me were Leona Lewis and Ellie Goulding singing in that dreadful drawn out fashion. I don't know one person who enjoys songs being strangled like that and yet many modern singers insist on doing it.

Watching her play (her hands and fingers), I don't think she's someone who plays Rachmaninoff or borrowing her former teacher's remark: "I don't think she was ever going to be a concert pianist.” (Or if we're talking about classical piece, maybe a simple variation of Pachelbel's Canon in D, but certainly not Debussy's L' Isle Joyeuss).

But there's also the fact that unlike Diana, Catherine played accompanying singer, not playing solo. Because it's different game. When you play in ensemble or accompanying someone, you're not only think about your play or the score, but also harmony. Not just following/reading the notes, but also reading/paying attention to others. It's tricky, particularly tempo.

Or like Tom Walker said
"So we got together, we rehearsed the song like nine times and by the end of it she'd absolutely nailed it, and then she went away for a couple of days and practised it, and then we finally got to do the recording of it.

"And I was really impressed because it's one thing playing along with me in a studio, just the two of us, but then to jump straight in to playing with a live string quartet and a pianist and two backing singers, all of which she'd never met before, and then doing live takes in front of the camera - that's a whole other jump from jamming."
(Skynews)

So a lot kudos and hat off to Catherine!:notworthy:

Btw this article, dated 26 October 2021, talked in more detail about C's musical history; it's not new information, so it's surprising that her musical talents is a surprise.
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge is a former pianist with a solid grade 5 music theory
(So when she took the baton in front of the Hamburg Philharmonic State Orchestra during Germany tour, it's possible that she actually knew what she's doing?:ermm:)

Last edited:
I agree with yukari. The very fact of working with other players makes it more complicated than the song itself. But everyone performed well and the attention was not focused singularly on the Duchess which I like.

The quality (esp sound) is not good which is a let down for a video of a musical event.
Well, it's not an official recording :flowers: When a third party uploads something to YouTube, quality suffers.

And oh my, quality it was. Not only my inner Christmas-freak got a solid dose of beautiful music, the whole project was an absolutely great idea especially with the piano performance. The song was beautiful and heartbreaking. Catherine is closing the year on a very high note, with another hit project on her belt. Simply amazing.

Absolutely, it wasn't in the same vein as Diana playing Rachmaninoff but it was still brave of her to do that in front of the World, especially as she isn't known as a pianist. It was very nice and I enjoyed the whole service immensely. Christmas is magical when it is done traditionally and the only two bits that spoiled it for me were Leona Lewis and Ellie Goulding singing in that dreadful drawn out fashion. I don't know one person who enjoys songs being strangled like that and yet many modern singers insist on doing it.
No, it wasn’t the most technically challenging piece but in addition to having it taped live in front of all those people, she was accompanying a singer, backup singers and other musicians. That IS more difficult because of timing that generally is learned best by a lot of experience which she doesn’t have as a musical performer. I am a musician, taught, sang a capella with a group, play the piano, and think that she did very, very well.

The Truth behind Duchess of Cambridge's perfect piano performance on Christmas Eve

Of course it was pre-recorded. That was obvious by the setting. Given that the Duchess is not a highly trained pianist, it was the wise thing to do. Still laudable.

I saw the teaser so it wasn't an entire surprise but the way it played out with Kate being the accompaniment, the poignant song itself and the atmosphere in the Chapter House came together way better than I was hoping for.

From the Court Circular 1/18/22.

The Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this afternoon held an Early Years Meeting.

The Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this morning held a Centre for Early Childhood Meeting. Court Circular 1/25/22.

Court circular
Kensington Palace
28th January, 2022
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patrons, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this morning received the Lord Hague of Richmond (Chairman) and Mr Simon Patterson (Vice Chairman).

The Duchess of Cambridge will be on a working visit to Denmark with The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood on February 22 and 23.

She will be received by Queen Margrethe and Crown Princess Mary and will visit a crisis shelter for women together with Crown Princess Mary.

** instagram announcement ** instagram announcement Danish court **

It's a good new. I think the Duchess of Cambridge was only in Denmark in 2011.

How exciting!!! Can't wait for this visit!

Wow! This sounds really interesting.

This should be interesting. One of her first solo trips overseas. I'm glad she's meeting QMII - hopefully that will bring a bit more international attention to her Golden Jubilee, she deserves it.

And it will be interesting to see her and Mary interacting officially with their Foundation interests.

Annoucement
https://64.media.tumblr.com/e89fa7c.../080894923c10ac551640481a64b409989a4ea0cc.jpg
Also celebrating the joint jubilees for Queen Elizabeth 70 years and Queen Margrethe 50 years.

The link came up as an error for me but I have to smile at this. Two Queen Regnant that just happen to be good friends to each other celebrating jubilees. Two Queens that have been widowed and still devote their life to the people they serve. Bet they really have stories to tell when they meet up with each other for tea. I've heard that Queen Margrethe would stop by and visit if she was in London for some reason.

The link came up as an error for me but I have to smile at this. Two Queen Regnant that just happen to be good friends to each other celebrating jubilees. Two Queens that have been widowed and still devote their life to the people they serve. Bet they really have stories to tell when they meet up with each other for tea. I've heard that Queen Margrethe would stop by and visit if she was in London for some reason.

Agree.
Here is the press release on twitter, hope the link works

Last edited:
Whilst William was on his way to Dubai, Kate was planning for Denmark:

The Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this morning held a Meeting with Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Denmark (Mrs. Emma Hopkins) via video link.

Her Royal Highness, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, afterwards held a Meeting via video link with Mr. Andreas Rasch-Christensen (Research Director, VIA University College) and Ms. Mette Arnsfelt McPhail (Head of Department of Early Childhood Education and Care, Ministry for Children and Education of Denmark).

Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Denmark was present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom