The Reported Breakup - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the news in people magazine online. How sad! They did go well together. Has the royal house said anything about this to actually verify that it is indeed true?

I feel very sad about this, because they seemed so genuine. I hope he's not following his father's path of not comitting to the woman he loved and then marrying someone else, only to be miserable. I'd like to believe it's all just a ploy to allow them time away from the media spotlight, but I think in my heart it's really over. So sad.

why do some people think it isnt true?? its reported in nearly all the newspapers and it has been all over the news now if it wasn't true there would have already been a statement released stating that.

I for one do believe its true, william has his life in the army in devon and kate has her life in london doing whatever it is she is suppose to do. I haven't really ever liked kate there is just something about her and i couldnt take to her at all. For everyone saying she was so good for him...how do you know that, we have never known william to be with someone else officially, give it a couple years the same people will be saying this about his next girlfriend.

I dont find this all sad, it happens it was a relationship it wasnt like they were married, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesnt, and in this case it it obviously didnt work out. I think William found the pressure to marry to strong and i get the feeling kate wanted marriage to him more then he wanted it.

Last edited:
I think I kind of agree with Luv2cruise. I think it probably is a ruse.It is very rare that in a break up there aren't clues in the media for weeks in advance that things are going sour and I haven't really read anything like this in the press.If the palace hasn't said anything then maybe they want the press to leave them alone.

I may be wrong but I think it is also true. I do not think it was the media pressure I believe it was probably that William wasn't ready to get married and Kate was. It's odd he is sort of reliving his father's footsteps in a way, except of course he is way happier. I do not think Kate was the "right" one for him and do hope he eventually finds her. IMO he has plenty of time.

Lily

I think they outgrew each other ,that happens alot not that I am dismissing the media presure it's a factor but they were only 20 when they met and now at 24 it's either marry or split sounds strange but but it happens.William has said he he's too young to marry and wants to wait until he's 28-30 maybe that's for the best for him to wait for a while.

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
I don't think so. IMHO the nice articles Richard Kay has written about prince Charles were his payment for this "scoop". IMHO the news is really from inside of William's circle. But is it the truth? I'm not so sure. There are two basic possibilities: William and Catherine stopped loving each other or they still love.

Possibility A: It's the truth and that's the end of it. The best thing for both of them would be to really finish their relationship and not pretend to be "just friends" who meet occassionally, stirring up all kind of rumours.

Possibility B: They are still in love, they still have a secret agenda but they want to get rid of the attention and the feverish speculations about their plans. In this case both profit from their "split" - Catherine gets a chance to review her decision for William and might be able to enter into new fields of professional working without all the media hassle. Because who cares about the "old flames" of Royals? William OTOH can concentrate on his job and responsibilities without feeling that he is forced into marriage. It could be predicted that the upcoming "Diana"-year would add to this pressure - now this pressure is gone for now.

I have no idea which possibility is the truth. But both could be it, IMHO.

I don´t think possibility B is the truth.
I can not believe that it is a bit of bad luck that we have seen the photos of a probably drunken William touching the breast of a strange girl only some weeks ago? It was never before his way to behave like that.
And why didn´t spent William and Kate their Easter holidays together?
Maybe we must start to accept the ´new situation´, or i´m not right?

queenofcelts said:
Well...I am not surprised at all....

Me, too. I did not see this relationship lasting another 4 or 5 years. Kate was getting restless with the media scrutiny and the invasive nature of the papparizzi. Her recent battle in court with the media outlets in Britain proved that and I felt the clock started to tick then on the demise of their relationship. However, I do not think the end of their relationship was the result of love lost or an affair, but given the fact, Kate was tried of invasive media and William was not ready for marriage. As William stated, "I do not see myself married before 28." Given that he is 24/25? To wait on your prince for another 4 to 5 years with the media pressure is unfair. Unlike the other crownprinces of Europe, when they found their lady loves, whom they went on to marry, they were not in their mid-twenties still trying to sort out their lives, they had come to known themselves and the responsilbity their titles posed and they were ready to settled down. William is not at this point yet, but someday he wil be and when his time comes I hope the young lady understands clearly beforehand the responsiblity and scarfice it takes to be with her prince.

Errily, this relationship seems to echo a bit Camilla and Charles. Maybe this young couple is meant to be but time is not on their side at the moment. But best wishes to them both.

I hope kate will be ok.
It could turn into a Charles/Camilla situation in years to come.We really don't know what has gone on between them,and yes the recent newspaper coverage has made things worse.

Its soo sad, I was hoping to see Kate as william's wife and a member of the British Royal Family. Maybe this was for the best.

The Royalist says this,

According to entertainment correspondent Neil Sean, Clarence House should batten down the hatches for the Sunday papers and the fallout from the split: "All the stories that they {the press} have held back — and there are some stories, because I know this, because of the situation, because they are together — it will be open floodgates tomorrow."

HTML:
http://www.theroyalist.net/content/view/1990/1/

I hope kate will be ok.
It could turn into a Charles/Camilla situation in years to come.We really don't know what has gone on between them,and yes the recent newspaper coverage has made things worse.
You said what I was thinking. Great Post! :)

Well, she has gone to her family home this weekend.
About the "breakup", "cooling off", the "time and Space".... I see some various possibilities:

1) It's another "cooling off" (time and space, or something like that) as the softer version from Hello! says.
2) It's genuine, and permanent, maybe because Middleton has second thoughts (maybe the media, or maybe she is more ready for commitment than him) or because William is in love with another (maybe Jecca, I always suspected it's possible)
3) It's temporary to get the media to back off the Kate stories and get some attn back on the big anniversaries this year: Charles and Camilla, Diana concert, the Queen's Golden Wedding anniv., maybe even get some glory back on Haz and Iraq, who knows. It's too big for Windsor markers to be upstaged by Jigsaw accessories buyers. Maybe she and the prince came to a private agreement to spend as much time apart so that things will quiet down about she can have the privacy she seems to want.

I tend to believe the third possibility but I don't expect anyone to agree. In fact, I imagine my belief is an unpopuar one.

Last edited:
blyton said:
I hope kate will be ok.
I really don´t believe this. I never felt the attraction of C+C (even as now married couple) between them. They should look for other partners. Will hasn´t found is great love yet.

Akilah said:
Errily, this relationship seems to echo a bit Camilla and Charles. Maybe this young couple is meant to be but time is not on their side at the moment. But best wishes to them both.

Of course the same thing has occured to many people. I've had the Charles/Camilla thought. But it's being too negative. Why predict doom and gloom? Why is that inevitable? We should give William more credit and believe that he has learned some lessons from the past rather than just be a slave to inherited flaws.

i tend to agree with u. i think their story goes beyond that and they'll still end up together . i don't agree with will if he stops the relationship because he's too young to get married. He almost 25 so i guess finding the right person and putting wedding off just because of age or time doesn't make sense

As the future king he should get his life in order. He strikes me as not really wanting to be king. Anything but. He needs to just get on with it. He is hiding in my opinion first university then the army to avoid the media and what his purpose was in life.

Kate was probably tired of waiting around for him to make a decision. He is going to end up like his Father. Chasing the love of his life after she got tired of waiting for him to make a move.

At least I believe his Father has always wanted to be king and will be a good one.

Sorry for the long winded post I am just frustrated with the younger royals. In a time when less and less people find the monarchy worthwhile the younger generation should be even more keen to show how useful they can be.

I hope it's not some newspaper's twisted way to get a scoup knowing the parties probably won't make a statement one way or another. If they did, they would be expected to report on the state of their relationship at every turn.

If the story is true, I don't think it reflect well on William at all. What kind of person breaks up with his girlfriend not over their relationship but to prove a point to the press. It's not like the press interest will suddenly back off now that he ditched Kate. IMO, he actually just proved the press can make him do things he didn't want to do.

This does makes sense. William has always said he didn't want to get married for before 28 (?) I think it was. But with the press and others betting wagers ask to when he would pop the question, etc. if he continued to just date her as they have been, they would soon be calling her the royal mistress instead of girlfriend. If I'm not mistaken they have had other cooling off periods before and this could just be a way to give both of them a break from the media pressure. For all we know they could still be seeing each other secretly or at least communicating by tex or e-mail. I also don't think they want another Camilla situation which can be tricky because Kate could up and marry while William is debating the issue and then history would repeat itself. We'll just have to see what happens down the road I guess.

Caswallan said:
As the future king he should get his life in order. He strikes me as not really wanting to be king. Anything but. He needs to just get on with it. He is hiding in my opinion first university then the army to avoid the media and what his purpose was in life.

Kate was probably tired of waiting around for him to make a decision. He is going to end up like his Father. Chasing the love of his life after she got tired of waiting for him to make a move.

At least I believe his Father has always wanted to be king and will be a good one.

Sorry for the long winded post I am just frustrated with the younger royals. In a time when less and less people find the monarchy worthwhile the younger generation should be even more keen to show how useful they can be.

I understand how you feel. I am frustrated with them sometimes. But try to believe more in them and give them some credit. That's what I really try focusing on, at any rate. The thing is, maybe he is not so much "hiding" in the army as trying to find his niche in his role and his life, the same way his father had to do, and the same way we all must do. It will be years before William finds his favorite causes. Remember Prince Charles did some "hiding out" in the navy too, and before that, some RAF stints to get his wings and things. Wings and things.:rolleyes:
And Prince Charles did not become a very serious Prince of Wales, with causes and beliefs, until about age 30, establishing the Prince's Trust at age 29 actually.
For Charles, when he was in his 20s, he had a problem with understanding what his function could be because there is no constitutional role for a Prince of Wales, and it might be worse for William because he is not even Prince of Wales but is just the "heir of the heir". That's a very ambiguous sort of role, I imagine. Most people his age have clearly defined jobs and careers. But William is like just on a waiting list for a "real job"! ;-)

Last edited:
well, this is dissapointing news but it was going to come one day. I never sew William proposing to Kate though she seemed like a very sweet young lady who would be fit into a princesses rold easily, i didnt see them as a couple...
I didnt think it would come this soon after seeing pictures of them at a race about a month ago.things change over night, should always keep that in mind

Incas said:
I It's not like the press interest will suddenly back off now that he ditched Kate.

You have a point here. IMHO he really "ditched" her if it is true. They should have made a statement together which protects her. This way it appears as if she is a golddigger and he escaped her clutches.Some way to deal with a woman he spent half a decade with and who suffered because of what he is and not vice versa!

Caswallan said:
I don't think you can claim that getting a higher education is "hiding" from anything, and it has always been expected that senior Princes would serve in the armed forces, that is a given in many Royal Houses.

The problem for William and Kate is that he can hardly get engaged then go off on active service, and this year is pretty well booked up with major royal events. Since a relatively short engagement is the norm for the Windsors, they would be looking at some time early next year at the earliest. From Kate's point of view she can't keep hanging around waiting for William to pop the question as she would have to put her life more on less on hold, while still being subject to the press scrutiny and intrusion.

I think what surprised us about news of the breakup is that she appeared to have been dealing with it all without (publicly at least) losing her composure, which is quite a feat under the circumstances. Maybe she and William decided they needed a break; we just have to wait and see if it's permanent.

All I really want to know is this:

HOW in the name of anything, did the Sun of all papers, get the scoop on this?

And any in case, my grandmother had a saying "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back then it was meant to be, and if not, well then...."

And for all we know she ended it and not him. Amicable is the word they are using, not He did, or she did. So we really do not know.

Empress said:
All I really want to know is this:

HOW in the name of anything, did the Sun of all papers, get the scoop on this?

intresting isnt it !! id say inside info or someone close leaked it

You'd think that anyone that close to Williams circle would have more grace, culture, and forethought and oh I don't know, class than to go to a rag like that.

Empress said:
And any in case, my grandmother had a saying "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back then it was meant to be, and if not, well then...."

Aww... Chloe on Smallville said the same thing about Clark. To Clark.
Maybe Kate is like Chloe and Jecca is the evasive Lana. Oh god, I'm comparing Prince William to Clark Kent/Superman! :lol:

Empress said:
You'd think that anyone that close to Williams circle would have more grace, culture, and forethought than to go to a rag like that.
Some of them must do it frequently. The Sun and the Daily Mail are always going on about what "friends of the couple" say. I always wonder what "friends" these are who sell their words to those papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom