The Reported Breakup - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Compassionate leave from work?! Now I really have heard it all! She may not be Queen but she certainly acts like a spoilt princess!

Little_star said:
Compassionate leave from work?!
She's on leave from work. The media have dubbed it "compassionate leave". I doubt that her employer has issued a press release discussing the type of leave she's taking.

Little_star said:
Compassionate leave from work?! Now I really have heard it all! She may not be Queen but she certainly acts like a spoilt princess!

since the "compassionate leave" was offered by her bosses, why not take it. It will be stupid not to take it, if you can still keep the job while having some time off.
:bangin:

Actually she has popped into her office during her much publicised London trip earlier in the week to collect some paperwork to be able to work from home for the rest of week - so she may not be on leave at all.....

< ed - Warren >

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess_K said:
I bet he's horrified. All those nasty comments about Mrs Middleton are completely beyond the pale. As if we'd believe for a moment that he would have said something unkind about a woman whose hospitality he accepted not just once but many times over the years.

may be Mrs Carol Middleton should refuse to pay her royal tax for the incoming year, since some palace members talk smack on her behalf:wub:

For some reason i feel sorry for kate, all the media talking about her slipt with wills and people saying mean things about her, I'm sure it haven't been easy for her to get her mind out of the media speculation about her and her ex and kippin' living her life.
I wish all good things for her ;)

A couple of things...

It pays to read the London tabloids with a very large grain of salt, and it's wise to keep in mind that the same tabloids have been known to - gasp! - make things up. Yes, really.

Secondly, as the Breakup story has unfolded, this thread seems to be attracting some quite bitchy, tasteless and tacky comments.
These have been, and will continue to be, deleted.

thanks,

Warren
British Forums moderator

I had to attend a 'function' this morning, (ugh early morning) and the general agreement was that the majority of people say 'hello' when being introduced, (hello ma'am to HM). Nobody uses the word 'toilet', most used 'loo'.

Lav, lave and bog are an absolute no no. :ROFLMAO:

Warren said:
keep in mind that the same tabloids have been known to - gasp! - make things up.
It seems as if they made up the 'class' story, just so they could debunk it a couple of days later with the William is horrified story! Do you think I am becoming a little cynical! :lol:

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
I had to attend a 'function' this morning, (ugh early morning) and the general agreement was that the majority of people say 'hello' when being introduced, (hello ma'am to HM). Nobody uses the word 'toilet', most used 'loo'.

Lav, lave and bog are an absolute no no. :ROFLMAO:

The Duchess of Cornwall in an uncut video of one of her latest tours before the Op was heard saying: "Nice to meet you". Is that U, non-U or simply herself?

Jo of Palatine said:
The Duchess of Cornwall in an uncut video of one of her latest tours before the Op was heard saying: "Nice to meet you". Is that U, non-U or simply herself?
I will probably get shot down as a snob, but it is seen as OK for someone of a higher class to say it to someone from a lower class, however that is using the old strict etiquette rules those of the wannabe classes follow. In reality I don't believe that anyone would be ostracised for saying it. Camilla was probably, as usual being her charming self.

i was in shock when i heard of the breakup of will's and kate. As i said before in my last post that maybe she is sad deep inside but putting on a brave face for the press.

but something came to mind while i was talking about this at work with my friends, may be its a fake breakup , maybe they didn't want anymore pressure on kate from all the press and the public and was worried it might turn into another diana sarga all over again so they made up a lie to get prussure off wills and kate and give them space.

the press are saying that wills dumped kate. maybe that didn't happen maybe kate dumped him ( i doubt it though). who knows all i hope is in years to come i hope kate is not the other camila.

Skydragon said:
I will probably get shot down as a snob, but it is seen as OK for someone of a higher class to say it to someone from a lower class, however that is using the old strict etiquette rules those of the wannabe classes follow. In reality I don't believe that anyone would be ostracised for saying it. Camilla was probably, as usual being her charming self.

No snob, no, only knowledgable about those things and I'm interesting in the finer details of language. So thank you very much for brazing this dangerous topic. :flowers:

As for Camilla: yes, she sounded really pleased to meet these people - but now I know that she would never have said so and why! ;)

I am at a loss to understand the exteme angst this breakup has caused.

These two young people flatted together, then shacked-up part-time and now seem to have discovered that their respective life's dreams are poles apart. In this they are hardly unique.

As for the vile stories regarding both Kate and her family, I am not surprise that Prince William is shocked at the viciousness of the attacks on them, and to a lesser degree, himself.

Let's be honest. This long drawn-out ghastly break-up is money in the bank for the tabloids and women's magazines. They thought they were on to a sure thing (marriage) and they have been deprived of their prize. Someone has to pay for their hubris, not to mention the number of freelance journalists now temporarily out of work. So.... lets invent!:mad:

MP warns: Kate needs protection

NEWBURY MP Richard Benyon launched a broadside at the national media this week over coverage of the end of Bucklebury girl Kate Middleton's romance with Prince William.

icBerkshire - MP warns: Kate needs protection

Horrified Wills calls to reassure Kate over class slurs

A concerned Prince William has phoned his ex-girlfriend Kate Middleton to offer support and reassure her that neither he nor his family and friends have anything to do with the disparaging comments which have been published in the British press over the last two days. He is reported to be horrified at the damage they are causing....
....William does not believe that anyone genuinely - or even remotely - connected with him would say such things

Skydragon said:
Like what you want or need is they guy who dumped calling you two days after the break up to offer support!!!!!

avrilo said:
Like what you want or need is they guy who dumped calling you two days after the break up to offer support!!!!!

Well, in this situation it may not be a bad thing.
Anyway, who know what's true and what isn't.
I think so much of the hogwash in the tabloid is invented that we should just ignore it.

I don't think the "pleased to meet you" and other things that Carole Middleton is supposed to have made mistakes with are the big deals the papers are blowing them up to be. In the programme Elizabeth R, made to mark the Queen's 40 years on the throne, the Queen introduces the Polish President to Princess Alexandra before a banquet and Alexandra says "pleased to meet you" so it IS an expression the Royals use. If anyone else on the forums has a copy of this programme you will see for yourselves. Why can't the media just concentrate on William and Kate without having to pull her family down. It must make a decent family like Kate's so angry that THEY are being portrayed as unsuitable when you look at some of the ways the Windsor's have carried on. < ed >

What a silly article Jan Moir has written. The breakup of Prince William's and Ms. Middleton's relationship is nothing more than the ending to a relationship that has run its course, and is a preferred conclusion than a royal divorce years from now. Also, since no one is privy to the reasons for the split, it is doubtful that any of the stories being printed by the tabloids stem from any real facts and are nothing more than sensationalistic stories being printed to sell papers.

angela said:
It must make a decent family like Kate's so angry that THEY are being portrayed as unsuitable when you look at some of the ways the Windsor's have carried on

True, but there seem to be very different standards of behavior for the classes in Britain, as well. It still seems there are two sets of rules regarding sex, morality, work and leisure between the upper class and the middle class. One of the first things that comes to mind is Andrew Parker Bowles, who endorsed his wife being the Prince of Wales' mistress throughout much of their marriage, looked the other way and took on his own mistresses. Everyone in their (aristocratic) circle knew what what going on, but it was what had always been done in the upper classes and it was considered normal. This situation would never be accepted amid the "middle-class values" of the bourgeoisie. What the Royal Family considers acceptable within their own ranks, they do not consider acceptable in the world of the Middletons.

angela said:
I don't think the "pleased to meet you" and other things that Carole Middleton is supposed to have made mistakes with are the big deals the papers are blowing them up to be. In the programme Elizabeth R, made to mark the Queen's 40 years on the throne, the Queen introduces the Polish President to Princess Alexandra before a banquet and Alexandra says "pleased to meet you" so it IS an expression the Royals use. If anyone else on the forums has a copy of this programme you will see for yourselves.

I have that documentary on tape. When the Queen introduced the Polish President to her daughter, Princess Anne said "Nice to meet you."

I think the media coverage regarding a possible marriage between William and Kate played a major role in their break-up. Remember the media pushing Diana influenced Charles to propose. Maybe if there had not been such a media frenzy, both Charles and Diana would have realized they did not suit and moved on in their lives.

If William does not think he is ready for marriage - then he isn't ready. For William to continue the relationship feeling the way he does in light of the media rushing toward an engagement would be unfair to Kate.

The palace reported an "amicable" end to the relationship. So one would expect William to call to offer support in the face of the media attacks on her family. One would also expect William to publically denounced these media reports.

William and Kate are probably very nice people. But they are at different points in their lives as to what they want out of life. It is also not unusual for guys to ant to sow their oats, party, run wild prior to making a committment - either in a relationship or career.

Not every relationship ends in marriage. And even relationships and marriage between 2 nice people does not guaranty success.

I agree with Tony Blair, all people must leave alone William and Kate, solve their problemas.

angela said:
It must make a decent family like Kate's so angry that THEY are being portrayed as unsuitable when you look at some of the ways the Windsor's have carried on
Well......, to be fair to prince Charles: nobody has as yet dubbed Mrs. Middleton's phonecalls and published the contents so there is no information out in the public knowledge about her wishes. < ed >

selrahc4 said:
I have that documentary on tape. When the Queen introduced the Polish President to her daughter, Princess Anne said "Nice to meet you."

Uh-huh! Skydragon just explained that this is a greeting from a social superior to somebody from a lower level.... ;)

Is there a difference in social standing when saying Please to Meet You and Nice to Meet You?

I am confused.:)

if the breakup was mutual and amicable and he did call to offer his support then i think it's a very very thoughtful thing to do. i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom