The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luv2Cruise said:
I'll go out on a limb to speak for others here by saying some of us a referring to other royalty sites where they are absolutely merciless in their attacks and condemnation of Kate Middleton, all based on tabloid stories or photographs they DON'T see. It's borderline slander as far as I'm concerned.

I have looked at a couple of other sites :ohmy: So yes you can speak for me! :flowers:

This woman is useless. All she does is shop, attend functions, and party with Wills. I don't care how some of you want to paint it; she's useless. This girl isn't rich so what is her exuse for not having a job? How is she providing for herself? If the answer is Wills is providing for her I think I am going to vomit. Not only is this girl useless, she's a social climber looking anyway to become the William's princess, and live a life of luxury. I am hoping William will wake up to this matter and actually find a girl who is there for him and not what he can do for her. Chelsey Davy is an excellent example of a type of girl Williams should go for. Chelsey is now dating Harry but you don't see her not pursuing what she wants. She does what she please and tries to share her life with Harry. I am rooting for Chelsey!

kristin2006 said:
This girl isn't rich so what is her exuse for not having a job? How is she providing for herself? If the answer is Wills is providing for her I think I am going to vomit. Not only is this girl useless, she's a social climber looking anyway to become the William's princess, and live a life of luxury.

Chelsey Davy is an excellent example of a type of girl Williams should go for.

I would think she gets a more than generous allowance from her parents and even a generous paycheck from them!

Who decides whether a person is useless, why is she useless, I don't work for a living, are you saying I and everyone like me who doesn't have to worry where the next penny is coming from is useless?

She has money, a luxurious lifestyle and looking at the way she is being ripped apart, I would think she wishes the man she fell in love with was not a prince!

I have nothing much against Chelsy, apart from her background and her fathers associates, but I would hope that this is not the sort of girl William or Harry end up with!

Last edited:
kristin2006 said:
This woman is useless. All she does is shop, attend functions, and party with Wills. I don't care how some of you want to paint it; she's useless. This girl isn't rich so what is her exuse for not having a job? How is she providing for herself? If the answer is Wills is providing for her I think I am going to vomit. Not only is this girl useless, she's a social climber looking anyway to become the William's princess, and live a life of luxury. I am hoping William will wake up to this matter and actually find a girl who is there for him and not what he can do for her. Chelsey Davy is an excellent example of a type of girl Williams should go for. Chelsey is now dating Harry but you don't see her not pursuing what she wants. She does what she please and tries to share her life with Harry. I am rooting for Chelsey!

In fairness we only know what the press chooses to print, so we really don't know that she does with her time and we don't really know where William and Kat's realtionship is at this point. They are still young and maybe wisely waiting to be sure. You can't be all things to all people and if you try you will wind up pleasing know one including yourself. I may make comments about what I see on the boards but I will always keep an open mind. JMO

The problem with Kate not working after graduating from University 17 months ago is that part of her appeal in the first place was that she was from a normal middle class family. She seemed smart and down-to-earth, not a lazy aristocratic slouch who doesn't work but attends parties and polo matches, and generally has nothing going for them, like a career, in their lives.

Laviollette said:
She seemed smart and down-to-earth, .... and generally has nothing going for them, like a career, in their lives.

Thanks for that, not everyone who works is smart, down to earth or a diplomat! :whistling:

It must be wonderful to have such a clear cut idea of how other people live their lives, based on a few pictures in the media. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am always amazed that people constantly harp on Kate not having a job being and being called useless (not to pick on kristin2006-she isn't the first to say it) and lazy. Again, just because we see pics of her in the press shopping or hanging around a polo field that doesn't mean that is all she does. Is anyone here around her 24/7?

While I agree that maybe having a job could make her a little more well rounded for the position of being a member of the Royal Family, who are we to say that 1) she is definitely going to marry into the Royal Family; and 2) because she doesn't have a job experience she won't fit in. Basically, as long as she is not on the dole and living off the government, its no one's business but hers if she is supported by her parents (who are private citizens) or William (as long as he uses his personal money).

Sorry to be so abrupt...but sometimes it gets frustrating reading some of these posts. You certainly are entitled to like to dislike Kate for any reason...I just think its a shame that people make judgement calls on anyones personality based upon a few pics or newspaper articles. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
Thanks for that, not everyone who works is smart, down to earth or a diplomat! :whistling:

It must be wonderful to have such a clear cut idea of how other people live their lives, based on a few pictures in the media. :rolleyes:
I have not based my opinion on a few pictures in the media. My post speaks for itself. Kate should have a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zonk said:
...Sorry to be so abrupt...but sometimes it gets frustrating reading some of these posts. You certainly are entitled to like to dislike Kate for any reason...I just think its a shame that people make judgement calls on anyones personality based upon a few pics or newspaper articles. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
I don't dislike Kate. I have been a supporter of hers from the beginning. I'm just giving some constructive criticism, which if she gets her wish and marries William, she will be receiving a lot of.

Laviollette said:
I have not based my opinion on a few pictures in the media. My post speaks for itself. Kate should have a job.

Not to turn this into the Kate/job situation....but why should Kate have a job? Other than not using her education, she is not hurting anyone but herself by not working. She is not using the system to support herself, she is not on the streets asking for money...she is not doing any of those things.

And yes, when she marries into the family she will get a lot of criticism.....but the key word is WHEN.

I'm still confused as to why nobody believes that she works for her family. I'm sure she puts in some hours there. Anyway I think it is good the press doesn't know everything about her life. Every couple of weeks we get pictures of her shopping. I think it is hard to beleive that when she is not shopping she is sitting at home watching the grass grow or something. I'm sure like normal people she does other activities. Whether or not she has a job doesn't really matter, but it is a stretch to say all she does is shop just because all the pictures we see of her are of shopping.

I'm still curious about this cheating thing, but I haven't read anything new about it yet

Zonk said:
Not to turn this into the Kate/job situation....but why should Kate have a job? Other than not using her education, she is not hurting anyone but herself by not working. She is not using the system to support herself, she is not on the streets asking for money...she is not doing any of those things.

And yes, when she marries into the family she will get a lot of criticism.....but the key word is WHEN.
You're right about "WHEN" and I would add "IF" since PW's "roving eye" is once again on the prowl, allegedly.

Laviollette said:
You're right about "WHEN" and I would add "IF" since PW's "roving eye" is once again on the prowl, allegedly.

I stated in an earlier post that what we see is what we are fed by the media and at the risk of repeating myself I will say once more that we don't really know how she spends her time and what level the relationship is with William. We only see what we are allowed to by both the royals and the press. Part of the fun of posting is playing a bit of a guessing game and people are entitled to their opinions but none of us really has the answer. JMO

hibou said:
I stated in an earlier post that what we see is what we are fed by the media and at the risk of repeating myself I will say once more that we don't really know how she spends her time and what level the relationship is with William. We only see what we are allowed to by both the royals and the press. Part of the fun of posting is playing a bit of a guessing game and people are entitled to their opinions but none of us really has the answer. JMO
I did say "allegedly."

Laviollette said:

She seemed smart and down-to-earth, not a lazy aristocratic slouch who doesn't work but attends parties and polo matches, and generally has nothing going for them, like a career, in their lives.

What you are saying, is that anyone who is lucky enough not to have to work, is a lazy slouch and has nothing going for them.
It seems a very sweeping statement and very judgemental of a situation you are not privy to.

You seem to be stating that you or anyone who has visible employment, is smart, down to earth and not a slouch, when it is clear IMO, that some people who have a job are neither smart or diplomatic.

Why should Catherine let anyone know whether she is in paid employment and if she is not, why is that a reason to rip her apart?

If she hasn't got a job and doesn't need to work to have spending money, good luck to her, it will leave a job available to someone who has no option but to work for their living!

Zonk said:
I am always amazed that people constantly harp on Kate not having a job being and being called useless (not to pick on kristin2006-she isn't the first to say it) and lazy. Again, just because we see pics of her in the press shopping or hanging around a polo field that doesn't mean that is all she does. Is anyone here around her 24/7?

I totally agree with you. What do people think she does with the rest of her time, based on the few pictures and articles that we have seen, she must be watching tv or laying in bed 10 months of the year! :rolleyes: :lol:

Hibou made a very good point in her/his last post. I always try to keep that in mind but sometimes my wishful thinking gets the better of me. I admit that I'm probably one of the more eager to believe that Wills and Kate are committed for life. I feel like Britain is long due for a royal wedding and some little royals to run around and stir up some noise! Not that Wills and Kate should marry for those reasons of course! :rolleyes:

I do not agree with the fact that she is useless just because she does not have a job and even if he is supporting her why not? obviously she is a very smart girl to win Prince William's heart! she must have something that we don't see but I think Prince William is smart too and if she was useless I don't think he would be with her. I say good for her!:flowers:

I think that Kate Middleton and Prince William have either been secretly engaged or "have an understanding."

I think that this occurred sometime after they both graduated from St Andrews. This is the reason I think she stopped looking for a job.

I think the Palace etc decided that it would be better for her to suffer any potential criticism for not having a job than getting into trouble the way Sophie did (remember the Fake Sheik episode) when she tried to have a career and be Royal. Thus, I think she is simply following "orders."

I think things might have been different if Kate had been older and already immersed in a career when she met Prince William.

If things do not eventually lead to the alter for Kate and William, I think we will see her quietly move into a job/career after everything has blown over.

For now, she is fortunate to be able to be financially independent and not need everyday employment.

Last edited:
Ladies, Kate hate trolls. Just like teeth, ignore them and they'll go away.

Laviollette said:
She seemed smart and down-to-earth, not a lazy aristocratic slouch who doesn't work but attends parties and polo matches, and generally has nothing going for them, like a career, in their lives.

I believe it would help if the memebers of this forum would cease to think in categories or "character types" and be aware that we are talking about real living and breathing people.

Take for example that "lazy aristocratic slouch"-character type. I guess people should relize where this "type" came from: as the arrogant artistocratic person not deserving their place in life it's already featured in greek comedies and is in it's female/male variations one of the characters of the commedia dell'arte. So basically it's a caricature of the real existing aristocrat which for several reasons (including the wish for addressing political aims, envy, social unhappiness etc.) was changed for the negative and used against the aristocracy. While this character type is still widely used in romance novels as opponent of the "true heroine", it's more a myth than a real "type". One simple reasons: real aristocratic ladies can't afford to be lazy if their wealth and position is based on the land they own - taking care of larger holdings and presering it for the next generation is tough work which needs constant attention. It's the nouveau riches whose money comes from investments or the stock market who can afford such a lifestyle.

But even then we talk people and not types - there are all kinds of people who work or don't work (with a defination of "work" as payed activity), who appear lazy because they are thinking (poets, authors and inventors come to mind), people who seem to slouch around because they are not healthy enough to work out and thus not allowed to.... all kinds of people.

We simply don't know what Catherine does and so cannot pass judgment on her person, only on the "type" she might present to the public at present. Which is something I for one am not willing to do.

Jo of Palantine said:
taking care of larger holdings and preserving it for the next generation is tough work which needs constant attention .....

Most people don't see that as work, they tend to presume that it is all done by staff! A lot of it is, but that would be suggesting that a CEO has nothing to do with the running of a company. :rolleyes:

We simply don't know what Catherine does and so cannot pass judgment on her person, only on the "type" she might present to the public at present.

Well said. :flowers:

Luv2Cruise said:
Ladies, Kate hate trolls. Just like teeth, ignore them and they'll go away.

I will try to take your advice but, I fear I am doomed to failure! :ROFLMAO: :lol:

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
Most people don't see that as work, they tend to presume that it is all done by staff! A lot of it is, but that would be suggesting that a CEO has nothing to do with the running of a company. :rolleyes:

I will never forget the moment when my grandmother (who was in pre-war German Silesia a daughter of a good family) told me about the duties she was expected to fulfill once she married and moved to her husband's village. Her whole pre-adult life seemed to have centered around being taught how to manage the estate and village in all kinds of aspects. It started with food preservation advices (which reminded me of survival techniques) to medical help (everything one could need in case a doctor was not available) to psychological stuff (in order to avoid psychologically based riots of the people) to basic knowledge of laws etc, of course economizing, entertaining etc....

I (as a girl of the sixties/seventies) was stunned when she told me that (even after having heard from my grandmother of my father's side how life was in Imperial Austria if you were of a family of "serving" nobility). It took me years to understand that this kind of training to fulfill responsibilities is something that can't be taken away from you, even if (as it happened with my family) the estate and wealth is gone. I guess the fact that both my grandmothers (both grandfathers were officers and away as prisoners of war, leaving their wifes to deal with the situation of flight etc.) managed to settle their respective families into the "Bildungsbürgertum" (German word for the Bourgeoisie based on education, not money) after WWII is due to their training they received as "Höhere Töchter" - German word for the daughters of the "better" ranks who got a good education.

That said, I believe it is grossly unfair to judge people because of their position when you have no idea how life in that position is really like. I for one am glad that two wars took care that I could go into academic education without the feeling I was letting people down because of that, that I could grow up being proud of my roots but free to do as I please.
I do hope that Catherine feels the same way and is doing something worth-while in her time, even if I am not privy to know it.

Jo of Palatine said:
I will never forget the moment when my grandmother (who was in pre-war German Silesia a daughter of a good family) told me about the duties she was expected to fulfill once she married and moved to her husband's village. Her whole pre-adult life seemed to have centered around being taught how to manage the estate and village in all kinds of aspects. It started with food preservation advices (which reminded me of survival techniques) to medical help (everything one could need in case a doctor was not available) to psychological stuff (in order to avoid psychologically based riots of the people) to basic knowledge of laws etc, of course economizing, entertaining etc....

I (as a girl of the sixties/seventies) was stunned when she told me that (even after having heard from my grandmother of my father's side how life was in Imperial Austria if you were of a family of "serving" nobility). It took me years to understand that this kind of training to fulfill responsibilities is something that can't be taken away from you, even if (as it happened with my family) the estate and wealth is gone. I guess the fact that both my grandmothers (both grandfathers were officers and away as prisoners of war, leaving their wifes to deal with the situation of flight etc.) managed to settle their respective families into the "Bildungsbürgertum" (German word for the Bourgeoisie based on education, not money) after WWII is due to their training they received as "Höhere Töchter" - German word for the daughters of the "better" ranks who got a good education.

That said, I believe it is grossly unfair to judge people because of their position when you have no idea how life in that position is really like. I for one am glad that two wars took care that I could go into academic education without the feeling I was letting people down because of that, that I could grow up being proud of my roots but free to do as I please.
I do hope that Catherine feels the same way and is doing something worth-while in her time, even if I am not privy to know it.

Well said!

Jo of Palatine said:

What a wonderful story! :flowers: I wish the same freedoms were available to all in the UK, in the past and present time.

It never ceases to amaze me, how judgemental some people can be, of a situation they know nothing about!

I hope Catherine is happy, whatever she is doing!:)

I love it how everyone is starting to call her Catherine! HMMMMM!

I am in total agreement with Jo and Skydragon! It always amazes me that people are quick to judge the rich or well off...its like reverse snobbery. The rich have problems just like everyone else...they are just better dressed :) Well most of them anyway.

That being said...I doubt that both Kate and Chesly will be invited to spend Christmas with the Queen. Now, I don't doubt that they might be on the estate....but they won't be breaking bread with her at the Christmas Eve or Boxing Day dinner.

caroline mathilda said:
I think that Kate Middleton and Prince William have either been secretly engaged or "have an understanding."

i'm with you on this one caroline mathilda.

i wonder why whenever we see a picture of Catherine we assume that she's shopping. i'm sure some of her time is spent shopping just like lots of people do but we don't very often see her carrying any bags so just because the pics show her walking down the street outside some shops doesn't mean she's actually shopping and spendig money does it? i walk downtown outside the shops quite often but i hardly every shop.

also, i disagree with the statement "she's useless" just because she doesn't have a job. while everyone is entitled to their opinion i have to agree with Skydragon in that just because someone is employed it doesn't mean they're down to earth or diplomatic. and if she's fortunate enough not to have to work then i also agree with Skydragon that it leaves a position available for someone that really needs it.

Skydragon said:

What you are saying, is that anyone who is lucky enough not to have to work, is a lazy slouch and has nothing going for them.
It seems a very sweeping statement and very judgemental of a situation you are not privy to.

You seem to be stating that you or anyone who has visible employment, is smart, down to earth and not a slouch, when it is clear IMO, that some people who have a job are neither smart or diplomatic.

Why should Catherine let anyone know whether she is in paid employment and if she is not, why is that a reason to rip her apart?

If she hasn't got a job and doesn't need to work to have spending money, good luck to her, it will leave a job available to someone who has no option but to work for their living!

Bravo Skydragon! I haven't been on the forum for a while because I've been so busy with work, but the last couple of pages that I've read on this thread tell me that some things haven't changed! ;)

I feel that you and Jo have stated some serious truths.
I'm an employed person who is neither particularly smart OR particularly diplomatic, and I say who are we to judge another person and say that they are lazy or any other negative adjectives?
As humans, we are more than the sum of our employment! :rolleyes: (Forgive my paraphrasing)

In all seriousness, some of the statements I've read posted on this forum and on different online tabloids regarding Catherine amaze me.
I've seen rude or harsh and judgmental statements about her needing to get a job, or being lazy, or just criticising her for attending polo matches, etc. as if she were obligated to behave according to someone else's dictates.

I do believe that a lot of complaints of this nature are based on several different things, the main one being smug narrow-mindedness.
They're basically saying : the only people that are worth something in this world are the people that live the way I live, or that live the way I think they should live.

We aren't living her life, we don't know what goes on behind Catherine's or anyone's closed doors. She's living the life that feels right for her, and if she is financially able to afford to live as she pleases, so be it. Why should a person be ostracized because they're able to live as they choose?
I think one of the other elements is plain old-fashioned jealousy. A sort of "If I can't do it then you shouldn't be able to do it either" type of jealousy.

Well, there will always be those who are more fortunate than the rest of us. There is no point in condemning someone because their finances allow them to live a life that we can't.
And as for those who say that in that case her degree was a waste of time:

How so? She isn't your daughter/sister/niece etc, and it wasn't your expenses. If she and her parents are happy, then it should not matter to anyone else how she uses or doesn't use her degree.
A person should be considered on the basis of how kindly and compassionately they treat their fellow man, and whether or not they are an honourable, decent person.
Not much else really matters.

Well said but it isn't true IMO. Whether Kate has money or not has nothing whatsoever to do with the price of fish, it's the image she puts out that turns people off. All we see is this sulky girl, skulking around Polo matches and shopping. Now that's fine but it seems that we're being told to accept this girl as a future Queen. Well, the image she puts out is not the image of a future Queen and so she gets criticised. It's nothing to do with jealousy, it's more a feeling of "Is this it?". Of all the girls William could choose, he's chosen one who doesn't come across well. She's got the rocks, she's got the cash but she comes across as a bit of a skulky teenager, a goth without the make-up and bad dress sense. It's all very boring to see her miserable face plastered all over the newspapers and what can we say she actually does? William's girlfriend can never be a private person - the moment he's seen with her, she becomes public property and I'm not saying thats right, but it's fact. She becomes public property and she has to justify certain things. She doesn't seem to have a job - so is she signing on? She's always got the same dull expression and floppy posture - is she depressed? We hear stories of her being moved into Clarence House at weekends - is that costing us money? The sooner Buckingham Palace confirm that this is or isn't happening, these questions can be answered and people will be alot happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom